What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Newsroom - new HBO series from Aaron Sorkin (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
Anyone gonna check this out? Looks like it could be worth a watch.

The Newsroom is an upcoming American HBO drama television series created by Aaron Sorkin. The series chronicles the behind-the-scenes events at a fictional cable news channel and features an ensemble cast that includes Jeff Daniels as an anchor, who, together with his staff set out to put on a news show "in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles and their own personal entanglements." Other cast members include Emily Mortimer, Alison Pill, Dev Patel, John Gallagher, Jr., Olivia Munn, Thomas Sadoski, and Sam Waterston.

http://www.hbo.com/the-newsroom/index.html

I'm in for anything he does. Surprised to see him taking on another series after Studio 60, but I imagine he'll benefit from the shorter season. Definitely looking forward to it.

It's like he stole elements of all the other TV shows he's done.
Aside from the behind the scenes thing, there is the on-air blowup, which was how Studio 60 started. Aside from those two things, I haven't seen anything that looks like a retread. While he might not even be aware enough of his own past scripts to know he's doing it, he has definitely reused lines and bits before.

I thought it looked good but the reviews have been unkind.
The New Yorker review is brutal.
The pilot of “The Newsroom” is full of yelling and self-righteousness, but it’s got energy, just like “The West Wing,” Sorkin’s “Sports Night,” and his hit movie “The Social Network.” The second episode is more obviously stuffed with piety and syrup, although there’s one amusing segment, when McAvoy mocks some right-wing idiots. After that, “The Newsroom” gets so bad so quickly that I found my jaw dropping. The third episode is lousy (and devolves into lectures that are chopped into montages). The fourth episode is the worst. There are six to go.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2012/06/25/120625crte_television_nussbaum#ixzz1yikdVnaJ

Some "critics" hate Sorkin for a number of reasons, not the least of which was the Rick Cleveland ordeal. Some don't like how his idealism pops up in his work from time to time. And then the endless parade of accolades showered on him since Sports Night. He even bounced right back from the very humiliating and public failure of Studio 60 with the brilliant Charlie Wilson's War script, followed by the brilliant Oscar-winning Social Network script. That wasn't supposed to happen. They think he's an over-rated egomaniac. It's clear that the writer of that piece feels that's the case, because that article is about Sorkin and viewers who like him more than it is the show.

Sorkin’s shows are the type that people who never watch TV are always claiming are better than anything else on TV.
While I'm sure some of these people do exist, what a stupid thing for a professional writer to say in any forum with more exposure than an FFA thread. This guy has an ax to grind and it's surprising he got this past his editor.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Newsroom is an upcoming American HBO drama television series created by Aaron Sorkin. The series chronicles the behind-the-scenes events at a fictional cable news channel and features an ensemble cast that includes Jeff Daniels as an anchor, who, together with his staff set out to put on a news show "in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles and their own personal entanglements." Other cast members include Emily Mortimer, Alison Pill, Dev Patel, John Gallagher, Jr., Olivia Munn, Thomas Sadoski, and Sam Waterston.

Corporate and commercial obstacles? Sounds like a heavy-handed ultra liberal left-wing TV show to me. Its like they are going out of their way to argue even in the series summary that they think government is not the problem, but corporations and private interests are. I'm amazed that some people will complain about political threads in the FFA, but have no issue with this.

I expect a show that for every one scene that make the left look bad, there will be 10 scenes that make the right look bad. And then they will claim its balanced.

Oh and anyone who wants to say don't bring politics into this thread. Its clear it was already here from post 1.

:lmao:

other than the stupid romance between Bradley Whitford and Amanda Peet, i liked Studio 60 a lot

Some "critics" hate Sorkin for a number of reasons, not the least of which was the Rick Cleveland ordeal. Some don't like how his idealism pops up in his work from time to time. And then the endless parade of accolades showered on him since Sports Night. He even bounced right back from the very humiliating and public failure of Studio 60 with the brilliant Charlie Wilson's War script, followed by the brilliant Oscar-winning Social Network script. That wasn't supposed to happen. They think he's an over-rated egomaniac. It's clear that the writer of that piece feels that's the case, because that article is about Sorkin and viewers who like him more than it is the show.

Sorkin’s shows are the type that people who never watch TV are always claiming are better than anything else on TV.
While I'm sure some of these people do exist, what a stupid thing for a professional writer to say in any forum with more exposure than an FFA thread. This guy has an ax to grind and it's surprising he got this past his editor.
What is this about?

I enjoyed the first episode. It is Sorkin's style for sure and if you never knew the name Sorkin and watched West Wing or A Few Good Men- you would know it was the same writer. I think Sorkin is going to be judged by the critics differently than anyone else. But I never listen to critics anyways, so who cares?

I really enjoyed it. The only aspect I didn't like was the setting in recent history. I much would have preferred a fictional political universe.

On board for the season.

And Sam Waterson is fantastic.

I really enjoyed it. The only aspect I didn't like was the setting in recent history. I much would have preferred a fictional political universe.

On board for the season.

And Sam Waterson is fantastic.
Best line of the show "I will kick the #### out of you, I don't care how many protein bars you eat!"

:blackdot:

Ill have to find the first episode online. Big fan of sorkin, I'll give it a chance

eta: just noticed it was HBO, Ill watch one of the 500 repeats of it this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the first episode. According to the reviewers who saw the first four episodes, the first was by far the best and then it went progressively downhill from there. So we'll see. But so far I like it.

I was entertained by the first episode, but I absolutely hate political talk, so I doubt I stick with it long term.

First west wing actor spotted...Jim is the kid who drove them around when the motorcade left Josh, Toby, and Donna behind.

Decent pilot, but this show is going to be a monumental challenge for all involved.

I loved the opening scene, thought the tone or something was weird in the next third of the show, and then finished great. I'll keep watching it to see where it goes.

Oooof. I came in here to say how much I liked the first episode. Now every other post is saying how the next three arent so good. I'll give it a watch, but I'm prepared for the worst.

Just an FYI - I was able to watch the first episode by downloading it as a podcast on my iPad for free. If anyone wants to see the episode. I doubt every episode will be up there, but it was free to download. The quality was also better than the HBOGO app.

Meh. I watched about 35 minutes of the pilot. I'll probably go back and watch the rest but I was very underwhelmed. Sorkin's trite and hackneyed style just grates on me.

I'd give the pilot about a 7. Jeff Daniels yelling/cussing at everyone and being a general ##### was pretty cool, and it had some other good moments. but if people are saying it gets worse after the pilot, I don't have high hopes for the whole season. I wonder if Slumdog's role will expand at all.

'Maik Jeaunz said:
I'd give the pilot about a 7. Jeff Daniels yelling/cussing at everyone and being a general ##### was pretty cool, and it had some other good moments. but if people are saying it gets worse after the pilot, I don't have high hopes for the whole season. I wonder if Slumdog's role will expand at all.
Was waiting for:

"We got no food....we got no jobs.....OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!"

Just an FYI - I was able to watch the first episode by downloading it as a podcast on my iPad for free. If anyone wants to see the episode. I doubt every episode will be up there, but it was free to download. The quality was also better than the HBOGO app.
thanks :thumbup: i liked the pilot. still a big fan of Sorkin's style

Thought the first episode was great. Thought the opening scene was terrific and loved the interaction between all of the characters. I'm a fan of Sorkin and Jeff Daniels so I'm all in.

Anybody else catch Jesse Eisenberg's cameo?

The first episode was indeed very good. As advertised, the second one (and reportedly the third and forth as well) falls woefully short. I'll stick with it a bit longer because there is not much else on TV on Sunday nights now, but the machine-gun-style witty banter in a professional setting is so unrealistic that it's actually distracting and mildly annoying.

Sepinwall on episode #2:

In my review of the premiere episode, I noted that "The Newsroom" is simultaneously trying to work as drama and as a critique of the current state of the news media and American political discourse. For the most part, the premiere managed to balance the two objectives so that the latter didn't interfere with the former. With "News Night 2.0," Aaron Sorkin's twin objectives frequently get in each other's way.

Last week, Sorkin assembled the characters and established their goals and the stakes. "News Night 2.0" is about them figuring out how to achieve those goals, which unfortunately happens in a series of incredibly dry, wonky discussions about journalistic ethics and bias. And in terms of the substance of her remarks, I agree with much of what Mackenzie has to say to the staff. The media in general and cable news in particular too often operate without thinking these days(*), and the idea that every story should present both sides — or, at least, that both sides should be be given roughly equal weight — is one that's gotten way out of hand.

(*) And wasn't it nice of Fox News and, especially, CNN to provide Sorkin with fodder for a future episode by rushing to report the Supreme Court's healthcare verdict and getting it wrong as a result? Assuming the show is around long enough to bring the characters into the summer of 2012, is there any way that ruling isn't the centerpiece of a "Newsroom" episode?

But what works as a policy statement and what works as a scene of dramatic television aren't always the same thing, and too many of these arguments — Mac with the staff, Charlie with Reese from corporate, Reese with Will, Don with Maggie — felt flat and lifeless as drama — or, at times, comedy. With "The West Wing," Sorkin had a good handle on how to argue his beliefs within an interesting dramatic context. There were either real stakes for the characters, or good jokes, or both, mixed in, so that whether or not you agreed with Sorkin's politics, whether or not you were interested in this particular issue, there was some satisfaction to take out of these kinds of scenes. And that wasn't the case here, for me.

Sorkin tried to spice up the staff meeting, for instance, with the jokes about Will memorizing the wrong names and Mac not understanding the new email rules. But the former was part of a weirdly tone-deaf attempt to establish that for all his abrasiveness, Will is secretly awesome (more on that in a bit), while the latter was setting up a payoff that was A)painfully telegraphed and B)betrayed Sorkin's continued discomfort with and misunderstanding of technology. In this day and age (to which I include the spring of 2010), who uses the asterisk when composing any email, and particularly one meant to go to one individual? Even if you allow for Mac having been out of the country for several years, nobody used email that way before she would have gone overseas, and certainly not on a Blackberry that would auto-fill the address. (Neal even mentions that auto-complete has now been enabled, which makes the asterisk redundant.) If he wanted to make it a joke about, say, Mackenzie forgetting not to reply-all to things, it still would have been an incredibly predictable joke, and part of an unfortunate descent from magnificence last week to bubbleheadedness this week (in an episode that wasn't particularly kind to Maggie, either), but at least the internal logic of the terrible joke would have made sense.

And then the flip side to the drama/ethics issue is that there are times where the need to generate conflict winds up undercutting the very arguments Sorkin is attempting to make. So he has Mackenzie talk about not wanting to engage with the sideshow of American politics, and yet the story is constructed in a way where they can't get anyone respectable to defend the Arizona immigration law, and instead wind up with a bunch of cartoon characters embodying the worst stereotypes of the right wing. I'm not saying those people don't exist — each side of the aisle has plenty of wingnuts — but it becomes hard to take Sorkin's arguments seriously about not indulging these people for the sake of entertainment value or a cheap point if he then does exactly that.

Similarly, Will tells Reese that Sarah Palin is irrelevant to the political scene at this point and doesn't want to feature her on the show, yet we wind up seeing her Holland/Norway gaffe, and hearing Will very lamely try to defend it. On the character side of things, both the militia member who named his rifle "Jenny" and Palin help illustrate how "News Night" and Will aren't where they want to be yet, stuck between the old way of doing things and the right way; on the media critique side, it's Sorkin doing things the old way to score points for his side.

"News Night 2.0" also introduces Olivia Munn as financial reporter Sloan Sabbith. Munn doesn't get much to do in this episode, and is mainly used to set up Mackenzie's defense of Will as "the good guy," all evidence on the show itself to the contrary.

Obviously, Mackenzie's point of view on Will need not be the show's point of view on Will. She does, after all, have reason to feel guilty about the end of their relationship. But Will's behavior throughout the pilot, and through much of "News Night 2.0" isn't that of a great guy, but an ### whose first instinct is to treat people badly, even if he can sometimes make a half-hearted effort to go against that instinct. He acts proud that he's memorized everyone's name, and it's amusing to at least see that pride deflate instantly as he realizes that he knows so little about the staff that he had mostly memorized the names of people who aren't on it anymore. But Mackenzie keeps calling him a good guy, even as he whips his Blackberry at the camera, tanks the immigration segment to spite her, refers to Sloan as a Victoria's Secret model, etc. Even the scene near the end where he tells Neal he wants to pay for the Spokane man's cab fare and keep it private reminds me of stories I've heard about incredibly famous, powerful people (George Steinbrenner immediately comes to mind) who famously treated people awfully but would from time to time do something amazingly generous like that and insist on keeping it private. That kind of good deed suggests Will is aware of his bad behavior and feels guilty about it, but it's more of a Band Aid on a bigger problem.

"We Just Decided To" had its issues, but on the whole made me feel glad Sorkin was back on TV and back doing a show like this. "News Night 2.0" unfortunately magnified many of the problems I had with that first episode, while losing some of the elements (Mac being in complete command even in such an untenable situation, the staff coming together to do a kick-### newscast) I had liked the most.

I thought the second episode was great as well. I'm enjoying this show a lot. Daniels is outstanding.
I watched the show for the first time (second ep) based on the strength of Jeff Daniels. I was impressed. Will have my DVR set.

Users who are viewing this thread