What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Playstation 4 Thread (1 Viewer)

Please don't screw us over with a Vita price drop announcement and new ultra slim PS3 as the only announcements here.

PS4 expected to launch at $429 and $529 respectively.
That doesn't sound too terrible. Didn't the PS3 drop at $500. And that doesn't even bring inflation into it. When is it supposed to drop? Link didn't work for me, must be too much traffic.

That doesn't sound too terrible. Didn't the PS3 drop at $500. And that doesn't even bring inflation into it. When is it supposed to drop? Link didn't work for me, must be too much traffic.
$500/$600 for the two SKUs on the PS3.I think people will throw a fit with $429/$529, but I'm ok with it if it offers most of the things the rumors have hinted at.

$500/$600 for the two SKUs on the PS3.I think people will throw a fit with $429/$529, but I'm ok with it if it offers most of the things the rumors have hinted at.
For the uninformed, like myself, do you mind sharing some of those?I don't doubt there are some real improvements, but I'm having a hard time coming up with things I wish my PS3 had.

Saw last week that it's already been confirmed the controller looks a lot like the dualshock but has a touch screen lcd in the middle. Also has a mic jack like the xbox controller.

For the uninformed, like myself, do you mind sharing some of those?I don't doubt there are some real improvements, but I'm having a hard time coming up with things I wish my PS3 had.
Yeah, I'm not sure what else they can add for the normal person. I was in college for most of the PS3 so I always had access to one and was just thinking about buying one but if there is a new one, might as well wait. I was just reading up a bit. They said the CPU wasn't great on it. Does that affect online play?

A few of the ones I remember offhand
[*]Stream PS3 games through the cloud (Gakai) for backwards compatibility

[*]Improved architecture that will allow for party chat, etc that were unavailable on PSN due to system limitations

[*]Constant automatic recording of gameplay to become a youtube hero

[*]Spectate friends

[*]PSEye/Move built-in (which will mean much better developer support)

[*]Savestate to jump to another game without having to get to a save point on the one you're at

[*]Obviously significantly more technically impressive

New rumble feature :rolleyes: Sony caved and went with 8GB of memory :thumbsup:Controller has a light bar on the front and system will come with a stereo camera that will track the light bars. Sounds like the pad is just a touch pad, not a touch sensitive lcd.

Oh, and controller has a button to instantly share gameplay video. You can also browse and watch live gameplay of friends. Kind of cool.

Can watch friends' videos and live play from smartphones and tablets. Can look into a friend's game and actually take over for them.

Can watch friends' videos and live play from smartphones and tablets. Can look into a friend's game and actually take over for them.
Taking over for them seems kinda cool. Wonder if you could do a hostile takeover. But the rest of the video stuff and watching people doesn't seem that worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing PS4 games on vita through Gakai sounds awesome.The statement about "our long-term goal is to make every PS4 game playable on Vita" is annoying though. Once again Sony takes an approach where they have to make every game work individually rather than just designing the architecture so every game works automatically. That worries me that they probably haven't learned their lesson with PSN either as that was one of the big faults of it.

'EYLive said:
All I want is backward compatability for PS1, 2 and 3 games.
Never gonna happen.
http://kotaku.com/5985810/the-ps4-will-stream-ps1-ps2-and-ps3-gamesI just hope that means they will unlock if you already own the games and you won't have to re-buy them. Which means I'll still have to re-buy them because I've never owned a Playstation game. But at least I'll have the chance to finally play what I've missed out on. Assuming I buy one.

I am a little worried about how the streaming will function through the cloud. If OnLive has taught us anything, it's that we aren't ready for streaming video gaming with our current internet structure. There are too many bottlenecks and data caps for flawless stream. I wonder if it might work like streaming a video where you buffer the game to local memory and play it from there. It would be better than having input lag, which was a clear problem with OnLive. It's not fun pressing the button and it taking a full second or two for the game to realize you pressed a button. At least with buffering, it should play as if the game is local and the worst you'll encounter is buffering issues with the game.

I am a little worried about how the streaming will function through the cloud. If OnLive has taught us anything, it's that we aren't ready for streaming video gaming with our current internet structure. There are too many bottlenecks and data caps for flawless stream. I wonder if it might work like streaming a video where you buffer the game to local memory and play it from there. It would be better than having input lag, which was a clear problem with OnLive. It's not fun pressing the button and it taking a full second or two for the game to realize you pressed a button. At least with buffering, it should play as if the game is local and the worst you'll encounter is buffering issues with the game.
One other issue that I would have liked to see mentioned is whether or not people will have to pay for streaming, all the multi-device stuff, instant video sharing, look-ins, etc. Now that PSN has adopted a two-tiered model, it would be interesting to know which of these features will be free and which ones are going to be reserved for PS+. And a PS+ subscriber, I would be particularly interested to know how this will affect pricing. You and I have probably seen some of the same rumors on this, but I'd like to hear from Sony. Of course, this was just a launch announcement. There's lots of time for details to come out between now and E3 and between E3 and Christmas.

'EYLive said:
Never gonna happen.
http://kotaku.com/5985810/the-ps4-will-stream-ps1-ps2-and-ps3-gamesI just hope that means they will unlock if you already own the games and you won't have to re-buy them. Which means I'll still have to re-buy them because I've never owned a Playstation game. But at least I'll have the chance to finally play what I've missed out on. Assuming I buy one.
Hence why I said not gonna happen. You'll have to rebuy them, although I assume they'll do 'Greatest Hits' collections that has multiple games on a single D/L.

'EYLive said:
Never gonna happen.
Hence why I said not gonna happen. You'll have to rebuy them, although I assume they'll do 'Greatest Hits' collections that has multiple games on a single D/L.
I'll be honest, when I bought my 360 way back when, I cared very much about backwards compatibility. After I got it, I never popped in an Xbox game. They look terrible now and not just because of the jump in how the games look, but I was playing those on a 27 inch tube and not a 50 inch LCD. It's best to leave the nostalgia in the past because they look and ply very differently than you remembered.

Are there any exclusives dropping at launch? And by exclusive I mean PS4 only, not PS3/360/Wii versions as well.

'EYLive said:
Never gonna happen.
I'll be honest, when I bought my 360 way back when, I cared very much about backwards compatibility. After I got it, I never popped in an Xbox game. They look terrible now and not just because of the jump in how the games look, but I was playing those on a 27 inch tube and not a 50 inch LCD. It's best to leave the nostalgia in the past because they look and ply very differently than you remembered.
Backwards compatibility was the very reason that I returned my unopened PS3 that I bought launch day for a 360. The initial plan was the buy the PS3 and flip it on eBay, but the value didn't skyrocket like it did with the PS2, instead I should been doing that with the Wii the very next week. Two weeks later, I was sitting on the PS3 and my first gen XBox died, so I had to make the choice to keep the PS3 or buy an XBox 360. I chose the latter because most of the XBox games I owned were on the Backwards Compatibility list. I do pop in ESPN NFL 2K5, the Splinter Cell games and Project Gotham to play every now and then. I used to play GTA 3 and Vice city still, but I now own them on Steam.Hindsight, I wish I would've kept the PS3. Mostly because the originals were completely backwards compatible and the value of those are much greater than the current ones.

good price. used games. does anyone know what the controller can do? I didn't watch the e3 show.

Paying for multiplayer definitely sucks. I hope Sony realizes they need to vastly improve their offering there if they're going to require PSN+ for that.

On the plus side, at least you get a free top shelf game every month with a + subscription.

Did Sony clear up the ability to share and sell games? Last we heard the PS4 would not block used games and that it would be up to the individual publishers. Did that sentiment get across today at E3?

Did Sony clear up the ability to share and sell games? Last we heard the PS4 would not block used games and that it would be up to the individual publishers. Did that sentiment get across today at E3?
There will be no blocking of selling used games or trading or renting. Developers could conceivably concoct some system themselves I suppose, but it won't be baked in like on the XB1.

Users who are viewing this thread