What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Most Useful Apps. (1 Viewer)

Abraham

Footballguy
The android and iPhone threads have too many suggestions and recommendations and outright drivel. Here is a thread for your five most used and most useful apps. Games like Candy Crush and stuff like Twitter can be listed but hardly help the cause; I'm looking to list and learn about apps that actually make the phone more useful in daily life. Everyone already knows about Facebook and Netflix, etc.

For me (in order of use)...

1. Evernote (multiple times a day)- I save EVERYTHING to Evernote. Like a scrapbook for photos, links, notes, reminders, lists, etc.

2. Asana (a few times per day)- Task list on steroids that syncs with all my devices including my PC and Mac.

3. GasBuddy - Finds cheap gas prices via map interface. Very handy.

4. Saviry Free - Slick Deals app. Check it daily.

5. Stock Touch - A few times a week to get a broad view of the market.

Looking forward to using AirDisplay soon to recommission my first Gen iPad as an external monitor.

Waze. Awesome navigation system for your car.

Check out Uber. Taxi ordering service.

Passbook and its Android equivalents.

SpaceMonkey app. Auto saves all my photos to the cloud and our in home drive.

Spotify. Great music service and app.

Amazon app. I do so, so much doing in this thing.

Seconds Pro. Add I start to work out skiing some interval stuff, great little app.

Maybe more than 5, but hopefully will help identify new apps for folks.

I love the Dolphin browser in tandem with LastPass

I use Avocado to isolate communication with my wife, very useful app as her texts to me don't get lost in the shuffle.

Car Home Ultra is great as a Car Dashboard on my commute. Along with that, I use Audible (audio books), Beyond Pod (Podcasts) and Google Music to pass that time.

Tweetcaster Pro is my Twitter client of choice, Pocket is my read it later app and I'm still trying to figure out which news reader I prefer (Flipboard, Pulse, Feedly or Circa).

My sports scores app is Yahoo Sports, but I'm not in love with any options.

I'm interested in which stock market apps people use?

Facebook- so I can see what all of my friends are up to. It's been really cool the past couple of days as I've gotten to see every present they and their spoiled children received.

Uber is great if you're in a city.

Scorecenter to check scores and stats

Tinder

I use google maps for traffic, but wonder if there is a better app for that

Digg - Use this to sync with my RSS feeds.

Cozi - Wife and I use it for grocery lists when she needs me to pick up something from the store.

Keep - Easy way to keep track of notes throughout the day

Dropbox - Easily transfer pics and documents between phone and computer

Pocketcast - Pretty good app to listen to podcasts

Facebook- so I can see what all of my friends are up to. It's been really cool the past couple of days as I've gotten to see every present they and their spoiled children received.

Uber is great if you're in a city.

Scorecenter to check scores and stats

Tinder

I use google maps for traffic, but wonder if there is a better app for that
Waze has to be the best map/navigation/traffic app. It's really good.

So we've got a million or so apps and about 4 of them are actually useful?
I always find this surprising too. In fairness, the number of useful apps is probably closer to 20 than 4, but ultimately I'm always looking for some great new ommmmmg app and don't seem to find them very much.

what you need.....a good browser.....a good weather app.....a good app for taking notes.....a good messaging app which includes international....some games.

POCKET - Daily

Google Keep - Daily

Expensify - One of my favorites. All of my expense reports are done on the fly, with pictures of the receipts etc, save a report to PDF and I email them to my office manager to get reimbursed. Has numerous other uses as well

Easy Money - Electronic Check Book

Starting to become useful -

Google Hangouts - You can now text from Google Hangouts so I have been using that more and more around the house on my tablet

Google Pictures - Auto Awesome around the holidays has been great. Kids love that it makes the lights twinkle and can add snow to your pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the top 5 most useful apps for 2014:

1. Pooplog - allows you to log in each time you poop each day (actually true)

2. Inap@work - creates office noises so that it sounds like actual work is being done while you nap

4. Chorebuddy2000 - a classic app that keeps track of your daily chores

7. Chucklehut - provides a daily joke in Ron White's voice.

4, Iskiplunch - reminds you that eating lunch each day costs you an hour

Here are the top 5 most useful apps for 2014:

1. Pooplog - allows you to log in each time you poop each day (actually true)

2. Inap@work - creates office noises so that it sounds like actual work is being done while you nap

4. Chorebuddy2000 - a classic app that keeps track of your daily chores

7. Chucklehut - provides a daily joke in Ron White's voice.

4, Iskiplunch - reminds you that eating lunch each day costs you an hour
At 99 cents a pop, I'm certain we'd make boatloads if someone implemented these.

POCKET - Daily

Google Keep - Daily

Expensify - One of my favorites. All of my expense reports are done on the fly, with pictures of the receipts etc, save a report to PDF and I email them to my office manager to get reimbursed. Has numerous other uses as well

Easy Money - Electronic Check Book

Starting to become useful -

Google Hangouts - You can now text from Google Hangouts so I have been using that more and more around the house on my tablet

Google Pictures - Auto Awesome around the holidays has been great. Kids love that it makes the lights twinkle and can add snow to your pictures
Google Keep actually seems really cool. Just downloaded and installed.

Genius Scan- allows me to take a picture of anything and turn it into a PDF.

I use it for all my receipts for expense reports, but if there's a document I need to sign/fill out and return, I can just snap a pic and send it as an email directly from the app. It was a game changer for me.

Weatherbug - up to date weather, live radar maps, weather alerts

Dropbox - its great to be able to access all of my personal files from my phone.

There's a few others that I use intermittently or with specific companies (BofA, for example), but there aren't a whole lot of other key apps I use often. Maybe I'll try some out from this thread.

Concur

Anyone who has monthly expense reports, by far the best!! Only caveat is your company has to use them as it isn't a standalone expense app.

I don't want a great new app as much as I want some programmable physical buttons on my device that can be set to open specific apps. It gets annoying having to push a button to light up the screen, swipe to open the main menu, and then click the app. I just want to push a button and the app comes up. Have the option to enable or disable the button so it doesn't accidentally get pressed when in my pocket.

It would be great if my screen is dark, and I push a button on the side and it immediately opens/reloads a specific webpage.

I'll elaborate on one I mentioned earlier.

Tinder- is a site that you upload photos to. It uses your phones GPS to locate where you are. You open the app and it shows pictures of people (for me- the opposite sex) that are located near you. You can set the parameter. You simply slide right for "hot" and left for "not". If you say hot, they are notified (and vice versa). If there's a match where you both think the other is hot, it puts you in an instant chat.

It's the easiest pick up tool around last call.

It only works in cities that are populated with other Tinder users.

Genius Scan- allows me to take a picture of anything and turn it into a PDF.

I use it for all my receipts for expense reports, but if there's a document I need to sign/fill out and return, I can just snap a pic and send it as an email directly from the app. It was a game changer for me.
Nice. Been meaning to get one of these for a while, good reminder here. This does seem like a massively useful app, I just yesterday had the problem of needing to scan something but being out of the office.

Users who are viewing this thread