What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE I hate to fly thread..... (1 Viewer)

Chemical X

Footballguy
I've never been a fan of air travel. forget the stuff involved with getting to and from an actual plane, the actual flight. it's not that I panic, but the total lack of control and thoughts of impending doom tend to creep into my head. lately, with more frequent flying, it's gotten worse. coming out of LAX yesterday morning, the turbulence was so bad I thought we were done and I was in a bad spot. wife talked me off the ledge a bit, but I had 2 great dry heaves in the bathroom. meanwhile, dummies are working on laptops and chatting away. I am the only one with a terrified look. I thought it was real bad......I think no else being concerned makes me even more crazy. I have tried meds, but is got sick from over medicating and don't want to be loopy. liquor doesn't seem an option. anyone in this boat? is this a phobia?

The way I see it, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, trust the professionals.

I cannot stand flying though because so many people are animals. I wear headphones no matter what hoping nobody bothers me.

i tend to focus on the flight waitresses, who never seem fazed, but it doesn't work. like i said, forget the animals and slobs. people eating full meals at odd hours in awful restaurants. worried about theft and baggage. if I can't stop this from getting out of control I am gonna have issues every flight.

You need to take flying lessons in a single engine plane. First day up you do power off stalls. Big fun for a noob pilot.

Chemical X said:
i tend to focus on the flight waitresses, who never seem fazed, but it doesn't work. like i said, forget the animals and slobs. people eating full meals at odd hours in awful restaurants. worried about theft and baggage. if I can't stop this from getting out of control I am gonna have issues every flight.
Keep reminding yourself that you gotta go sometime - if it's in a plane crash, who cares?

Chemical X said:
So…you just have a fear of flying. Simple. Pretend you love probability. Pretend you're not a control freak. Pretend that nothing you do has any meaning or any bearing on this world and your free will view of it.

Then let David Dodds set your fantasy football lineup for Week 16 Championships. Easy peasy.

I am the exact same. I used to drink the anxiety away in my early 20's, but that became an issue for my business trips.

Now I load up on klonopin. It seems to work ok, but I still have issues.

Also, my anxiety continues even when I land if I'm traveling alone and I'm far away from home. It's very weird.

When I was in my early 20s I drove myself and with many others that had BACs that were pushing 2.0 many times. I actually feel safe in planes.

Ask your doctor for Lorazapam. Great anti anxiety med.

When I was in my early 20s I drove myself and with many others that had BACs that were pushing 2.0 many times. I actually feel safe in planes.

Dude, Lorazepam is a beggar out here. There's street value in that stuff. Of course it's a great anti-anxiety med, it's basically Xanax, ain't it?

Of all the ways I could reasonably expect to die, plane crash is up near the top of the list...

1) No long term suffering

2) Family doesn't have to watch me go

3) Family gets a sweet settlement from the airline.

I lost another friend in a car accident last Saturday night.

This is the 3rd friend I've lost to car accidents.

I've never known someone who has known someone who has known someone who has known someone that's died in a plane crash.

That's typically how I get through it. I can't be lucky enough to win a dollar scratch ticket, there's no chance I'm lucky enough to get my name in the paper for dying in a huge plane crash.

Of all the ways to die, plane crash is top 5 IMO. I hate all the security stuff, but I love to fly and always have. I'm sure there are people who have flown more than me, but I haven't met them.

Wait, you're the one with the hang-up regarding one of the safest ways to travel, and the other people going about their business are dummies?

I absolutely hate flying. I don't need to do it for work, but when I have to fly, I hate it. Before a family, never flew. Had to fly for weddings after a child and I was scared to death that we would all go down on a flight. To this day I'm scared of flight. I just hate it.

i have nerve issues in my legs. Doctor prescribed Lorazapam if I have trouble sleeping. #### knocks me the #### out. Problem is I am groggy and irritable most of the next day

I love flying. I have caught up on all the tv shows I don't have time to watch in real life over the past few years. Heck, one trip to NY and I can watch a whole season of Californication. And, when you fly a ton, first class upgrades come easy. Drinks, meals, comfy seats, and four hours of catching up on shows? What's not to love.

Chemical X said:
I've never been a fan of air travel. forget the stuff involved with getting to and from an actual plane, the actual flight. it's not that I panic, but the total lack of control and thoughts of impending doom tend to creep into my head. lately, with more frequent flying, it's gotten worse. coming out of LAX yesterday morning, the turbulence was so bad I thought we were done and I was in a bad spot. wife talked me off the ledge a bit, but I had 2 great dry heaves in the bathroom. meanwhile, dummies are working on laptops and chatting away. I am the only one with a terrified look. I thought it was real bad......I think no else being concerned makes me even more crazy. I have tried meds, but is got sick from over medicating and don't want to be loopy. liquor doesn't seem an option. anyone in this boat? is this a phobia?
Maybe a villa in Italy was not the best idea then. ;)

Just landed in Paris. Finally at the hotel

Flight starts, pilot says gonna be a smooth ride, no turbulence projected ahead. 3hrs in and the plane was rocking, signs dinging, and stewardesses strapped in

Im used to it now, still uncomfortable. Some ppl were freaking tho

Load up on gravol is the key, apparnetly

I used to be terrified of flying - to the point where I basically had my job threatened because I told my boss I'd take a bus half-way across the country before I'd get on an airplane. That was back in the 80s, but the fear persisted until the last decade or so to the point where I had my doctor prescribe Atavan (or something like that) just to get me through it. Then, boom - it was gone. I don't know if it was the frequency of flying recently or what, but it went away.

I still ####### HATE all of the airport crap, though. I don't do well with waiting in lines. The check in kiosks have helped some, but there's no getting around security/customs.

Chemical X said:
not quite a villa.......but yeah, the 8 hours kills me especially since we arrive in the morning and I then have to drive 2 hoors.

I used to fly a ton and it was no big deal. Now that I'm older with kids, I get white knuckles when there is turbulence. Totally irrational. Having a glass or two of wine totally cures this - unfortunately I don't know why they make it so difficult to buy booze at an airport.

Chemical X said:
not quite a villa.......but yeah, the 8 hours kills me especially since we arrive in the morning and I then have to drive 2 hoors.
:popcorn: You'd think knowing that was waiting on you when you landed would make the flight much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grow a pair. I flew from Okinawa to Atlanta yesterday. 17+ hours in the air. Turbulence is nothing compared to trying to squeeze my 6'-4" frame into those f'ing seats.

Have your wife roofie you. The worst thing that could happen is that you'll have had sex with Bill Cosby.

The way I see it, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, trust the professionals.

I cannot stand flying though because so many people are animals. I wear headphones no matter what hoping nobody bothers me.
Bose sound-cancelling might be the greatest invention of the 21st century.

Wait, you're the one with the hang-up regarding one of the safest ways to travel, and the other people going about their business are dummies?
Knowing this just makes it worse. Used to be good with flying, but now I freak out at any little bump. Lack of control is part of it, but something else changed.

another pansy checking in....can't stand it...sweating hands as soon as I get on the things. my wife loves flying but coming back from a wedding from vt to nj we had to take what they call a q400.

when the plane approached the area, I was saying oh no. wife saw it and said, that better not be our plane.

the dang thing is a sardine can and I had to hunchback the whole way down the aisle to our seat so I wouldn't bang my head.

of course it was raining and storming the whole flight. the flight as well as my wife almost killed me.

here is said can opener...

http://www.airlinereporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_2612.jpg

another pansy checking in....can't stand it...sweating hands as soon as I get on the things. my wife loves flying but coming back from a wedding from vt to nj we had to take what they call a q400.

when the plane approached the area, I was saying oh no. wife saw it and said, that better not be our plane.

the dang thing is a sardine can and I had to hunchback the whole way down the aisle to our seat so I wouldn't bang my head.

of course it was raining and storming the whole flight. the flight as well as my wife almost killed me.

It looks like it needs a slingshot to take off.

Hate flying, especially taking off. When I get up to altitude I'm usually OK unless we hit turbulence. Landings I like because I know it's over. I try and book nonstop as much as possible. And yes when you have your wife, kids etc. with you as I usually do the stress is even greater.

Flew one of those on Friday. Ride was... not smooth. But survived.

Generally I really enjoy flying. Get a ton of reading done. Only problem is I really have trouble sleeping on planes so those 15 hour flights really suck.

I always check the planes online when I book them. I probably would not have booked a flight on that plane.

That all said, I used to be this way but I pretty much see one auto accident a day on the racetrack that is my way to work, so I figure if any travel is going to get me it's that.

Went hunting in Saskatchewan a few years back. Single engine bush plane and we landed on a gravel bar in a river. Never again. Found out after we got back that the pilots love scaring the crap out of hunters. I'd like to punch that guy in the throat, but he'd probably gut me and feed my innards to a bear.

Went hunting in Saskatchewan a few years back. Single engine bush plane and we landed on a gravel bar in a river. Never again. Found out after we got back that the pilots love scaring the crap out of hunters. I'd like to punch that guy in the throat, but he'd probably gut me and feed my innards to a bear.
My favorite thing to do when I first got my pilot's license was take friends up and scare the crap out of them. There are motions and sensations you can get in small single-engine planes that just feel unnatural.

The thing is, once you learn to fly a small single-engine, you'll feel safer in them than in bigger commercial planes. I just generally like the concept of the smaller ones...more places to land in an emergency, smaller spaces needed to land, can land at slower speeds, etc.

My favorite thing to do when I first got my pilot's license was take friends up and scare the crap out of them. There are motions and sensations you can get in small single-engine planes that just feel unnatural.

The thing is, once you learn to fly a small single-engine, you'll feel safer in them than in bigger commercial planes. I just generally like the concept of the smaller ones...more places to land in an emergency, smaller spaces needed to land, can land at slower speeds, etc.
Flew around a couple of weeks ago in one of these with my BIL. Smooth ride (great weather) and I never felt safer.

Users who are viewing this thread