What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would You Give Up a $2000 Bonus So Someone Could Keep Their Job? (1 Viewer)

Would You Give Up a $2000 Bonus So Someone Could Keep Their Job?

• Yes

Votes: 103 71.0%
  • No

Votes: 42 29.0%

• Total voters

cstu

Footballguy
This is the story of a Belgian movie coming out called "Two Days, One Night". In it, a depressed woman who is married with two kids loses her job after the employees voted to keep their bonus rather than let her keep her job. She is suicidal and without her job her family won't be able to keep their home and she will likely kill herself.

After convincing the manager that undue influence was put on the employee vote he agrees to a second vote. She then spends the weekend visiting her co-workers and asking them to reconsider voting to give up their bonus.

While watching it I had a difficult time imagining Americans agreeing to do this.

of course i would.

2k won't make or break me

Only way I wouldn't is if the person sucked and it would benefit the company to see them leave

Well there's about 10,000 details that would completely influence most people's vote here. So yeah, this should hit 10 pages.

This is the story of a Belgian movie coming out called "Two Days, One Night". In it, a depressed woman who is married with two kids loses her job after the employees voted to keep their bonus rather than let her keep her job. She is suicidal and without her job her family won't be able to keep their home and she will likely kill herself.

After convincing the manager that undue influence was put on the employee vote he agrees to a second vote. She then spends the weekend visiting her co-workers and asking them to reconsider voting to give up their bonus.

While watching it I had a difficult time imagining Americans agreeing to do this.
Yes but it would depend on the person.

Voted yes. Even if it's just a replacement level employee, if I liked them I'd do it.

What percentage of their salary was the $2K in the doc?

of course i would.

Only way I wouldn't is if the person sucked and it would benefit the company to see them leave
What he said. If they were a lazy worker and generally useless, then I wouldn't. But if they were actually contributing then I would absolutely give it up. We've had large bonuses. We've had no bonuses. I don't rely on it to live my life and if a bit of sacrifice on my part helps someone not have to go through a life-changing event like this, then hell yes.

of course i would.

Only way I wouldn't is if the person sucked and it would've benefit the company to see them leave
this is the correct answer.
and what about the next time the company asks you to do this?
or what about the next time your company asks your coworkers this question with your job on the line?

you would be out of a job and living with your euro cousins!!!!

but as soon as they find out your wife never wanted to go meet them in the 1st place, they kick your aszzes in the street. Now you go to your brothers house for a place to stay and both of them don't return your calls. Now you go back to your dads house as a last resort to live in your childhood room with your wife and kid but your dads gf turned that room into a beenie baby shrine so no dice there!!!!

Now, I'll let you take your vote again!!!!!!!

Voted yes, but I guess it would depend on what $2K would do for me. If I made $10/hour, the 10% bonus means a lot more.

I guess it also depends on the opportunities for the employee elsewhere. If they were a car salesman, I'd help them carry the box to the curb.

No. Because of that action must be considered, the company needs to retain and incent its bonus earning employees. Meanwhile, it's always a good idea to regularly cull under performers. Saving her job will likely put others or all at risk down the line.

i'm guessing this person keeps the job 1 year tops and i'm out 2K.

Sure, i don't need the 2K... but assuming I invest that for 20 years at a very modest 5%.. that's over 5300 dollars and costing my retirement probably another couple weeks.

I'm torn.. depends on how big her breasts are

i'm guessing this person keeps the job 1 year tops and i'm out 2K.

Sure, i don't need the 2K... but assuming I invest that for 20 years at a very modest 5%.. that's over 5300 dollars and costing my retirement probably another couple weeks.

I'm torn.. depends on how big her breasts are
lol. Awesome. Was waiting for you

Is it actually Jean-Claude Van Damme in a dress? I'll go see it if it's actually Jean-Claude Van Damme in a dress.

Way too many details here. I'd feel really bad if she killed herself after losing the job, but she is helping the company? What is my own economic plight?

I'd try to work a 'no pink slip' for 'some pink slit' exchange.

Even if she didn't go along with that, though, I'd forego my $2K so she could keep her job.

I'd do it but try to find a new job as soon as possible. If the company is riding that close to the line then it's likely the other shoe will drop sooner rather than later.

Way too many details here. I'd feel really bad if she killed herself after losing the job, but she is helping the company? What is my own economic plight?
She does a non-essential job, but it lessens the workload for the other employees.

The bonus would go into your savings.

I would like to add that management of this company is piss poor. This is a decision they need to make.
I agree, but they wanted to shift the blame to the employees when she commits suicide.

On the mere principal of that I'd vote for her to keep her job.

In general, yes. However, what the hell kind of person considers suicide when they have kids? She's selfish as hell, and expects everyone else not to be?

Do the other employees know she is suicidal?

Unless she was an awful person, I would give up the bonus.

Do we still get a membership to the Jelly of the Month Club? :mellow:

No - it's only prolonging the inevitable.

Sorry, if a company is deciding between your job and someone's bonus, you need to leave and find a job where you make a difference.

The whole premise is flawed. Why would a business keep an employee on staff that was apparently unneeded? And why would they they decide to split her salary amongst the remaining employees? Makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread