What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014/15 UK Basketball - :pours40out: (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
Might as well get this thread going.

UK holding their first recruiting event of the year, inviting ESPN, and NBA scouts, in for the fall NBA draft combine in Lexington today.

On ESPNU now.

Welcome fans and haters alike. It should be an interesting season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cal talking about running with a platoon system with players basically getting 20 minutes a game in two separate squads.

Seems like that will work against weak competition, not sure how it plays out against tougher teams, or as guys get into foul trouble. Seems like you all of a sudden will have guys playing together without any real practice together.

I think eventually he reverts to form and focuses on a 8-player rotation, with maybe 9 and 10 guys seeing a little bit of game time.

Top-ranked in the coaches poll, with 6 games scheduled against top-10 opponents.

Arizona comfortable ahead of Duke for #2

Big Blue Madness is tomorrow, but I think the only place to see the entire gig live is on espn3 - apparently ESPN will lead with UK, but will be checking out other teams as well. SEC network will carry some coverage, but something to do with not wanting to pay the music rights will keep them from airing most of it live.

Last several years it has been broadcast on a local channel, but i think they are trying to get more eyeballs on the SEC network, so no local coverage.

I suspect they'll use the same platoons they had in Puerto Rico, more or less. The difference being we have a 7' center and a 6'10" SMALL forward to add into the mix. Nice problem to have.

I suspect they'll use the same platoons they had in Puerto Rico, more or less. The difference being we have a 7' center and a 6'10" SMALL forward to add into the mix. Nice problem to have.
I think the platoon system will work fine for spurts, but I think UK is going to need to a "last-5 minutes" platoon that is more than just the 5 best free-throw shooters. They will need 5-7 guys who can close out close games - hit free-throws, play defense, and hit a shot from the outside.

Calipari definitely has to walk a fine line this year with getting all of his guys minutes, and with making sure he wins games. I know Cal wants this to be a "players-first" program, but that only works if it shows up in the results. I suspect by the time March rolls around, Cal will have abandoned the platoon, and shortened his bench for all but the blowouts.

I realize they are playing nobodies tonight - but the entire team just looks more athletic than last season.
reminds me of the first exhibition with the 2012 team. just physically dominating

shot 82% in the first half but really didn't shoot it that well (i know that makes no sense). 11/11 dunks and 13/15 layups but "only 3/7 on jumpers.

Ugh. Ugly game.

Andrew Harrison did sit out. Randle played well with a double-double. Young will play the MKG role on this team, guarding the opponent's best perimeter player. Aaron was ok as point guard, but he is not ready to handle that for long stretches.

Derek Willis was one of the first off the bench, and while he is probably ahead of where Wiltjer was, he is not ready to play defense the way Cal will demand, and the key to minutes from Cal is defense. But, I don't think Cal will hesitate to put him in if he needs to sit a starter for a stretch.

Marcus Lee did not play in the first half - not sure if Cal was sending a message, or if it was some type of punishment. He did play in the second half, and brought high energy to the floor.

Dakari Johnson will be a good post player someday - you can't teach size - but it might not be this year, at least offensively. Had trouble a few times in the paint against a team with only one player taller than 6'5"

Poythress started, but was again invisible for large stretches of the game. He was scoreless, with no rebounds in the first half.

Free throws were atrocious. 50%. Certainly not unusual for a Cal team, but if the Refs call the game they way they are supposed to this year, with greater emphasis on "freedom of player movement" then this team will be at the free throw line a lot, and can't afford to give away that many points. I also think team depth will be a factor across college basketball this season, at least until teams learn to defend without the arm-checks.

UK started the game with treys from Young, Harrison, and Randle, and fell in love with the outside shot, instead of pounding the ball inside against the smaller opponent. They'll need a lot more patience and ball movement against non-division III opponents.
This is what I wrote about last years 1st exhibition game against similar opposition - almost night and day with this years game. Still tough to see how they will matchup against teams with size, but this years team is light years ahead of last year - not terribly surprising given the number of returning players, and the fact that they had the summer tour to start putting things in place.

Kentucky's always interesting because of the talent they have, but the platoon thing is also pretty intriguing. What happens when someone gets in foul trouble, does someone from one platoon play with the other guys? Pull double duty, in effect?

Question two, since the Anthony Davis team, UK's struggled to shoot the 3. Any of the new guys provide any relief on this front? I'll hang up and listen.

Kentucky's always interesting because of the talent they have, but the platoon thing is also pretty intriguing. What happens when someone gets in foul trouble, does someone from one platoon play with the other guys? Pull double duty, in effect?

Question two, since the Anthony Davis team, UK's struggled to shoot the 3. Any of the new guys provide any relief on this front? I'll hang up and listen.
it actually started back in the Wall/Cousins team, as for this year Devin Booker is supposed to be the outside shooter of the class. Ulis can hit a 3, but obviously will have a harder time getting his shot off.Last night, they were pretty bad in the second half, but Booker was 2-4, and Poythress, 2-3, as he tries to play small forward. Only Harrison struggled among those expected to take outside shots last night, 0-3.

On the Platoon, they will mix and match at times, and did that a little last night. Fouls, injuries, and any close late games will be interesting to see how they work out. one of the intriguing aspects of the plan, at least in the beginning, will be that teams almost have to prepare to play two different teams when they play UK.

What are the two teams of five? Are they fairly evenly balanced?
The two basic teams are:

And. Harrison

Aar. Harrison

A. Poythress

K-A. Towns

W. Cauley-Stein

T. Ulis

D. Booker

T. Lyles

M. Lee

D. Johnson

Both teams are pretty long in the front court. Ulis plays point a bit differently than Harrison. I'd say first team has more bulk, while the 2nd team is a bit more athletic.

There is clearly enough depth here to work around foul troubles - but it could get interesting if it gets late in the season and players are not used to playing more than 20 minutes per game. Cal has indicated he'll get players more playing time if they deserve it, so we may see a little less of a full platoon as the season wears on - but I don't think Cal is afraid to put any of those guys out there right now. But, it will be a tightrope to walk all season when they get locked into close games, and they play a number of quality opponents before conference games start. I suspect that Booker and Aaron Harrison may be interchangeable, based on who has a hot hand, and the bigs are all pretty interchangeable if one gets into foul trouble. Biggest difference will be PG, where Ulis and Harrison pay a bit differently - I think Ulis is a better point guard at this stage, even if he has no real future in the NBA due to his size.

One of the things I saw last night, that I did not see early last year, was a lot of movement without the ball - if UK can keep coming at teams in waves, with fresh bodies every 4 minutes, they will be tough to handle. Tough to really judge though when they play a team that has no size - everyone was open under the basket. They did press a lot more last night than I saw last year, so that may be a factor as well.

I was really impressed with the game, even if it was against the team from Pikeville. So damn long.

Forgot they were on again tonight - after dispatching with the #2 NAIA team in Pikeville, tonight they are taking it to #8 NAIA team, Georgetown, 45-20 nearing the end of the 1st half.

ETA - just too long against these NAIA teams to get a feel for how they will play against teams that can put some size on the court

15-4 run to close out the half at 60-24.

The platoon system is going to run some teams out of the gym, as everyone is putting max energy into each shift. The real trick still comes down to teams like Kansas, UNC, Louisville, etc. where those teams have starters who can play with UK - can UK keep enough continuity and skill to match-up with their starters.

Story lines are going to get old with this team real quick. Its going to be the same story every game: "boy this Kentucky team sure is long....deep too."

"They don't have substitutes, they have two starting units"

"Have you ever seen big guys run the floor like these Kentucky players?"

Well, one thing is for sure - UK's 11th and 12th guys with the walk-ons are as good as an NAIA team at the end of a game...which is to say, not very good.

Kentucky got a jump on next season with a couple of recruits today - top PG Isaiah Briscoe, and top-3 recruit Skal Labissiere.

Seems most people do not think Labissiere will ever be eligible to play in college - so that may simply be another Enes Kanter situation.

Briscoe is a really nice player. Seen him a few times live here in NJ. He's gonna be a great college guard. Major change in his body and attitude in the past year has really helped.

Its not Skal's fault (his handler/guardian screwed him) but I don't think he's gonna be eligible. I don't think its as obvious as the Kanter situation, but I'd be surprised if he plays.

Not optimistic on Labissiere either but if he plays for anyone, he plays for us. I don't see any scandal issues if he's ruled eligible - he'll be separated from that 'guardian'.

Pure speculation - but this could just be Cal recognizing that Labissiere isn't going to play college ball, but convinces him to come to Lexington where Cal gets the headline from a top-recruit (which leads to more top recruits), and Labissiere ends up as a student manager who practices with the team but never plays - so he gets the advantage of working with other NBA prospects, in front of NBA scouts and does not have to go live in China.

This is what Kanter did, and UK still claims him as one of their players in the NBA...

Not a lot of downside to this, and I doubt most other programs would take the same approach.

Oh, and 1st game of the season tonight!!

Grand Canyon Antelopes (and Buffalo on Sunday) will likely be a continuation of the pre-season fodder leading up to the big match-up with Kansas on Tuesday.

Kind of sloppy - particularly in 2nd half.

4 in double figures - Dakari with a double-double. Devin Booker with a goose egg: 0-6

10 blocks, but only 13 assists. Went with a straight platoon for about 3/4 of the game - starters outscored 2nd team 52-33

Sloppy start to the Buffalo game - 1st team outscored 12-10 to start the game.

Saw an interesting stat from Friday's game - 2nd platoon held Grand Canyon scoreless in the 1st half.

I think Buffalo may have exposed a weakness - our team is so big that quick players can get around them. Outside of Ulis and Booker (and Stein, for a big man), we're pretty slow.

That said, a team is going to have to be able to maintain that energy for 40 minutes with these big lumberjacks banging on them the whole. That's asking a lot.

I think Buffalo may have exposed a weakness - our team is so big that quick players can get around them. Outside of Ulis and Booker (and Stein, for a big man), we're pretty slow.

That said, a team is going to have to be able to maintain that energy for 40 minutes with these big lumberjacks banging on them the whole. That's asking a lot.
I wonder if Cal would split up the Harrisions - play Aaron with Ulis, and Booker with Andrew.

Even with that weakness, its still going to be tough to get to the rim with the bigs guarding the lane. For all their success, Buffalo still shot only 35% for the game. I think Kentucky will be fine defensively, but offensively, they still rely on Booker and Aaron Harrison to hit outside shots.

Users who are viewing this thread