What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Youth football coaches "CUT BLOCKING" (1 Viewer)

I'm not really sure why it would be considered anymore harmful than anything else that happens in a football game.

What is your take on "cut blocking" in youth football. I think that it is harmful and doesn't need to be allowed in youth football. But, for whatever reason it is legal in our organization. Here are a couple of videos I found on youth "cut blocking" take a look and give your thoughts. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7QwlvKhRg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxlxIrMABw
Looks like the kid in the second video got high-lowed.
Well it was a "text book" case of simultaneous hitting. This was shown at one of our meetings. It got really heated. One coach said and I quote, "if you teach your players to cut my players...I will instruct my linemen to place a knee or elbow to the back or your players neck!" Several coaches almost came to blows over this type of blocking. The problem I see as a health care provider is attacking a young man's knees. Also, at the younger ages I can see a kid getting his neck hurt by trying to "jam" it into the opposing linemen's knees. Very vulnerable to get hit in the side of the knee. But, if it is going to be allowed the lineman will have to account for it, and make the necessary adjustments.

Ban it from the game. Teach kids the fundamentals of blocking and tackling. There is way too much sloppy and dangerous football being played nowadays and cut blocking is another dangerous tactic to be teaching young kids instead of teaching them proper leverage.

Cut blocking or blocks below the waist are legal by rule IIRC. As long as they happen in the Free Blocking Zone. They may be employed by either defense or offense. Outside of the zone it is an illegal block. Chop blocks or high low blocks are illegal no matter where they happen. This is by NFHS rule and most youth organizations use those to play by.

That is a chop block. Check the league rules and if it isn't illegal start an initiative to change the rule. It is illegal in the NFL, college and high school here in Cali, I believe.

Never coached a double that way myself. Terrible.

Yeah I have seen them called "slice blocking" "cut blocking" "chop blocking" it is all the same at the youth level. Again, kids lead with their heads and are trying to "block" another kid making them very vulnerable to head and neck injuries. As well as the opposing player taking a shot to the side of the knee exposing injuries to the interior joint.

I didn't watch the video and can't right now.

Cut blocking - an offensive lineman diving/rolling at a defender's legs. This is perfectly legal and I don't get why it would be considered any more dangerous than other football activities. You don't dive headfirst at the guy's legs, your sorta use your body like a log to take out their legs. If done with poor technique, it could be dangerous, but nowhere near as dangerous as poor tackling (i.e. with your face down, neck exposed).

Chop blocking - when one offensive player has engaged a defensive player up high and a second offensive player goes for the legs. This is completely illegal and can be dangerous because you could be restricting the natural movement of the offensive player. Holding someone in place while someone else dives at his knees is totally different than diving at someone's knees who can move freely.

Defenders, of course, should be taught to look out for cut blocking. If you read it before they get to your legs, you can easily skip over the blocker and get a free hit on a QB/runner, which, of course, could also be dangerous is not coached properly, etc.

The point is cut blocking =! chop blocking. Two completely different things. One is legal, one is not.

I think it is there for smaller kids so that they can knock down defenders?
Not necessarily true at all. It can be for a tackle against a speed rusher. It can be on a quick pass play to get the defender on the ground or bent over to protect his legs rather than letting him get his hands up to block a lateral or screen pass, etc.

Legal cut blocking is a completely legitimate tool. Chop blocking is not.

And this should go without saying, but any coach who threatens to instruct their kids to knee or elbow other kids in the neck should not be coaching kids.

What is your take on "cut blocking" in youth football. I think that it is harmful and doesn't need to be allowed in youth football. But, for whatever reason it is legal in our organization. Here are a couple of videos I found on youth "cut blocking" take a look and give your thoughts. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7QwlvKhRg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxlxIrMABw
Looks like the kid in the second video got high-lowed.
Well it was a "text book" case of simultaneous hitting. This was shown at one of our meetings. It got really heated. One coach said and I quote, "if you teach your players to cut my players...I will instruct my linemen to place a knee or elbow to the back or your players neck!" Several coaches almost came to blows over this type of blocking. The problem I see as a health care provider is attacking a young man's knees. Also, at the younger ages I can see a kid getting his neck hurt by trying to "jam" it into the opposing linemen's knees. Very vulnerable to get hit in the side of the knee. But, if it is going to be allowed the lineman will have to account for it, and make the necessary adjustments.
its illegal.

And this should go without saying, but any coach who threatens to instruct their kids to knee or elbow other kids in the neck should not be coaching kids.
I think the coach that stated that feels like shooting at his kids knees is "bush league." Felt it was poor sportsmanship at a youth level.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/season_preview_2008_rules_changes.html

Chop Block (Rule 2-3-3). The definition of the chop block has been simplified to assist in the understanding of this rule and to encourage more consistent officiating. A chop block is now defined as a high-low or low-high combination block by any two players against an opponent (other than the runner) anywhere on the field, with or without a delay between contacts. The “low” component is at the opponent’s thigh or below. A dangerous action that can lead to serious injury, the chop block is a personal foul that carries a 15-yard penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the coach that stated that feels like shooting at his kids knees is "bush league." Felt it was poor sportsmanship at a youth level.
He's free to feel how he wants and express his feelings. He's not free to instruct his kids to illegally attempt to hurt other kids.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/season_preview_2008_rules_changes.html

Chop Block (Rule 2-3-3). The definition of the chop block has been simplified to assist in the understanding of this rule and to encourage more consistent officiating. A chop block is now defined as a high-low or low-high combination block by any two players against an opponent (other than the runner) anywhere on the field, with or without a delay between contacts. The “low” component is at the opponent’s thigh or below. A dangerous action that can lead to serious injury, the chop block is a personal foul that carries a 15-yard penalty.
Yes. Chop blocking = illegal. Cut blocking is not.

He's free to feel how he wants and express his feelings. He's not free to instruct his kids to illegally attempt to hurt other kids.
He also said, that I will instruct my kids to jump up and land on your kids necks...and asked if it was illegal to do so. To which our commissioner is taking under advisement.

Crazy! :lol: We have been in this league for over 6 years coaching and this has never been an issue until this season.

My take...

My kids that I coach are anywhere from 6 to 10 years old (we move up with them as they get older).

I don't think a kid that is 6-10 years old needs to be concerned with a player shooting into the lateral aspect of their legs. Can they do it legally ... yes. But, I think that safety is the first priority for all coaches.

I look at this rule the same as the "NO RUSH" the punter we have at the lower grades. We didn't want the punter taking shots in the plant leg. Too many injuries.

We also don't allow bull rushing the center when he is snapping the ball in shotgun. It is to protect the center's neck.

I'm going to do a complete 180 and say that it's probably best to keep it out of the league. I'm not sure what ages I had in mind, but 6-10 year olds don't need to learn cut blocking.

Ban it from the game. Teach kids the fundamentals of blocking and tackling. There is way too much sloppy and dangerous football being played nowadays and cut blocking is another dangerous tactic to be teaching young kids instead of teaching them proper leverage.
Thank you.

Football can be played perfectly fine without it.

I didn't watch the video and can't right now.

Cut blocking - an offensive lineman diving/rolling at a defender's legs. This is perfectly legal and I don't get why it would be considered any more dangerous than other football activities. You don't dive headfirst at the guy's legs, your sorta use your body like a log to take out their legs. If done with poor technique, it could be dangerous, but nowhere near as dangerous as poor tackling (i.e. with your face down, neck exposed).

Chop blocking - when one offensive player has engaged a defensive player up high and a second offensive player goes for the legs. This is completely illegal and can be dangerous because you could be restricting the natural movement of the offensive player. Holding someone in place while someone else dives at his knees is totally different than diving at someone's knees who can move freely.

Defenders, of course, should be taught to look out for cut blocking. If you read it before they get to your legs, you can easily skip over the blocker and get a free hit on a QB/runner, which, of course, could also be dangerous is not coached properly, etc.

The point is cut blocking =! chop blocking. Two completely different things. One is legal, one is not.
It's unnecessary for the game of football.

Not necessarily true at all. It can be for a tackle against a speed rusher. It can be on a quick pass play to get the defender on the ground or bent over to protect his legs rather than letting him get his hands up to block a lateral or screen pass, etc.

Stop calling defending it by calling it legal. At one point chop blocking was legal.

If the tackle can't block a speed rusher without cut blocking then the team should find a tackle who can.

Stop calling defending it by calling it legal. At one point chop blocking was legal.

If the tackle can't block a speed rusher without cut blocking then the team should find a tackle who can.
Why?

"Waaaah, playing offensive line is too hard - I need to be able to tear someone knee ligaments to do it." :cry:

"Waaaah, playing offensive line is too hard - I need to be able to tear someone knee ligaments to do it." :cry:
Can I get a link to the huge list with all of the torn knees from cut blocks? I'm open to being convinced. Thanks.

Why?
Like I said, the game can be played perfectly fine without it.

Why?
So?

Can I get a link to the huge list with all of the torn knees from cut blocks? I'm open to being convinced. Thanks.
Maurkice Pouncey

Brian Cushing

Eric Berry

A bunch of players from Notre Dame:

Last year, Kelly was asked if the leg injuries of his defenders had to do with cut blocks and he said: “I can attribute it to Kona Schwenke‘s injury. He got cut, and it caused that injury. I can contribute it to Ishaq Williams‘ ACL. He was cut, and it caused that injury. And Sheldon Day, his re-injury, all of them contributed specifically to those. You know, it’s unfortunate. It’s the style of offense that the academies play. It is what it is.”
A bunch from Florida State:

Here is my argument for "CUT BLOCKING" if you don't allow your team to do it to each other in practice you shouldn't do it period.

We tackle full speed in practice

We hit full speed in practice

We block full speed in practice

We run our offense and defense full speed in practice

But, most coaches I would think do not allow their team to "cut block" their own teammates.

So?
So get rid of an unnecessary play that has a high chance of causing knee injuries.
High chance? You just gave me like 10 players out of the thousands that play in the NFL and college football.

Can't argue with that logic.

It's a violent sport. The fact that cut blocking is still legal in the current climate is indicative in itself as to how "high" the chances are that it causes knee injuries.

Here is my argument for "CUT BLOCKING" if you don't allow your team to do it to each other in practice you shouldn't do it period.

We tackle full speed in practice

We hit full speed in practice

We block full speed in practice

We run our offense and defense full speed in practice

But, most coaches I would think do not allow their team to "cut block" their own teammates.
I think the best argument is that it's an advanced tactic that, if done improperly, could be dangerous. You don't need that level of play in that age range.

But yeah, you're right, even adults don't generally cut block other teammates.Or if you do drill it, the other player is just there as a target, and he just leaps over the cut-blocking guy. It's not dangerous at all when you know it's coming.

I think it is only a matter of time before it is considered illegal. The NFLPA will put a stop to it soon I think.

I think it is only a matter of time before it is considered illegal. The NFLPA will put a stop to it soon I think.
It's far less dangerous than defenders targeting knees when tackling bigger guys (Gronk, etc.). At least cut blocking at the line helps protect the golden boys.

ETA: You would also effectively destroy the zone-blocking scheme, which is hugely reliant on cut blocking.

what's the difference between this and tackling a ball carrier by throwing your body into his legs?

eta: serious question, no schtick....just my own ignorance.

what's the difference between this and tackling a ball carrier by throwing your body into his legs?
The biggest one would be is that there's only one ball carrier on a given play. Another would be that the ball carrier needs to be tackled while a defender doesn't.

The biggest one would be is that there's only one ball carrier on a given play. Another would be that the ball carrier needs to be tackled while a defender doesn't.
not sure i'm convinced...sure there is only 1 ball carrier, but there are 11 players on the other side all gunning for that one player. a

and the second point is pretty lame...

Wonder if it would be legal to have two players cut block one defender? Each of the offensive lineman shooting into one of the legs.

For example, the offensive guards taking out the defensive tackles legs?

Wonder if it would be legal to have two players cut block one defender? Each of the offensive lineman shooting into one of the legs.

For example, the offensive guards taking out the defensive tackles legs?
I don't know, but if a team were to do this, it's a big W for the defense.

Adults still let their children play tackle football? A parent's most important responsibility is keeping their children safe. Irresponsible to let them play, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread