What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book 7 (1 Viewer)

Mario Kart

Footballguy
Last edited by a moderator:
It has now been reported that 2 characters will die and 1 received a reprieve from death.  Much discussion revolves around who is now dead in the series.  With about a year left before book 7 is released there is lots of time for this to be contemplated. 

This leads to a USA Today brief with Mugglenet.com web host and The Leaky Cauldron's web host.

I would prematurely say that:

Lord Voldermort = dead

Draco Malfoy = dead

Severus Snape = reprieve
who gives a ####?
Few hundred million people or so

I could see Hagrid biting the bullet, perhaps giving his life to save Harry.

For anyone not familiar with this series, people will come to view the HP series in the future as people now view the Lord of the Rings.

They absolutely aren't just kids books.

For anyone not familiar with this series, people will come to view the HP series in the future as people now view the Lord of the Rings.

:goodposting: I made fun of this series for years... then agreed to listen to one of the books on CD on a long road trip by the GF. I've now read every one of them and am awaiting the 7th (final?) book in the series.

Defiinitely not just kids books...

:rolleyes: No freaking way. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that. H Potter is nothing more then a media driven thing. It wil go the way of the pet rock.

]
It has now been reported that 2 characters will die and 1 received a reprieve from death.  Much discussion revolves around who is now dead in the series.  With about a year left before book 7 is released there is lots of time for this to be contemplated. 

This leads to a USA Today brief with Mugglenet.com web host and The Leaky Cauldron's web host.

Lord Voldermort = dead

Draco Malfoy = dead

Severus Snape = reprieve
who gives a ####?
Few hundred million sheep.

:rolleyes: No freaking way. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that. H Potter is nothing more then a media driven thing. It wil go the way of the pet rock.
X

nahh...i say too many people around Harry have died. So his closest friends should be safe.I'd go with Snape, Voldemort dead. Draco Malfory getting the reprive.

,Jun 28 2006, 07:40 PM]

Lord Voldermort = dead

Draco Malfoy = dead

Severus Snape = reprieve
who gives a ####?
I take it you haven't read them? They really are a ton of fun. Can't wait for the last one to come out but also bummed it will be the last...

,Jun 28 2006, 07:40 PM]

Lord Voldermort = dead

Draco Malfoy = dead

Severus Snape = reprieve
who gives a ####?
I take it you haven't read them? They really are a ton of fun. Can't wait for the last one to come out but also bummed it will be the last...
I read most of them. The ones I didnt read I listened to on audio. In one form or the other I have read/heard them all.

Whatsherface (you can tell how closely I follow the series) said that when she's done, she didn't want anyone to be able to write any additional stories using these characters.

So that makes me believe she kills off someone who fans would have said "Hey I wonder what happens to _______?" and wished there were additional installments.

I hadn't thought of Hagrid, but that's a definite possibility, but using my theory, one of the major characters I can see fans still being interested in after book 7 would be Hermoine. :o

You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that. H Potter is nothing more then a media driven thing. It wil go the way of the pet rock.
I read most of them. The ones I didnt read I listened to on audio. In one form or the other I have read/heard them all.
Way to make a stand.

nahh...i say too many people around Harry have died. So his closest friends should be safe.I'd go with Snape, Voldemort dead. Draco Malfory getting the reprive.
Good thought about to many dying close to Harry. And, I know I put the same three people down but it would be to much like clock work, and not Rowling's style if those three were affected. Plus, each of them are main focuses on the story, which also would not fit Rowling's style as in killing off minor characters, or characters introduced in the current book.So, over-thinking this again, I will now say:

Voldermort dead - He and Harry cannot live at the same time anymore. Since Dumbledore is gone now he has to bite the dust.

Arthur Weasley dead - a minor character compared to who else could die. A Weasley has to die. They have been to important in the whole story to not have something happen to them. Other possibles would be one of the twins if not for Arthur.

Severus Snape reprieve - The bad guy becomes even worse yet he redeems himself in the end by turning heel infront of the good. Snape, however, was always good and lives a life in ruin for his ruse over the past decade plus.

You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that. H Potter is nothing more then a media driven thing. It wil go the way of the pet rock.
Way to make a stand.
:confused: What were you looking for?Jihad?

Way to make a stand.
Well which is it? "who gives a ####?" or "I have read/heard them all"?For someone who seems to have no interest you seem to fallen prey to the media driven hype.

Way to make a stand.
Well which is it? "who gives a ####?" or "I have read/heard them all"?For someone who seems to have no interest you seem to fallen prey to the media driven hype.
Good point. I have kids that are really into them and I did want to know what it was about. It just isnt for me. I understand the kids liking it but I have always thought it was wierd how many adults were into it. I feel they are poorly written. I just dont get it. I do think that just about anything that gets people to read is a good thing though. In this thread I have broken a personal goal of mine which is to not piss on something others like just because I dont. I was wrong to come in here and say what I did. It is just my opinion that the series is not that good. Like I said earlier if Harry potter will get people reading instead of sitting in front of the TV then it is a good thing.

So again just my opinion they are not good but that does not mean they arent good. Understand?

I am currently reading the Joe Leaphorn/Jim Chee mysteries from beginning to end. I enjoy them but I guarantee someone just :rolleyes: at that.

A better person then I will let me enjoy what i like and not take pot shots at it. I am a big Stephen King fan and I found it interesting that he thinks the Harry Potter stuff is awesome. it is just not my cup of tea. I do however like that it has my kids reading. :thumbup:

After that long apology I have to say that I do believe that a large part of the H Potter thing is media driven and it will be looked back on the way we look back at the rubics cube.

:wall: Sorry i just did it again.

Way to make a stand.
Good point. I have kids that are really into them and I did want to know what it was about. It just isnt for me. I understand the kids liking it but I have always thought it was wierd how many adults were into it. I feel they are poorly written. I just dont get it. I do think that just about anything that gets people to read is a good thing though. In this thread I have broken a personal goal of mine which is to not piss on something others like just because I dont. I was wrong to come in here and say what I did. It is just my opinion that the series is not that good. Like I said earlier if Harry potter will get people reading instead of sitting in front of the TV then it is a good thing.

So again just my opinion they are not good but that does not mean they arent good. Understand?

I am currently reading the Joe Leaphorn/Jim Chee mysteries from beginning to end. I enjoy them but I guarantee someone just :rolleyes: at that.

A better person then I will let me enjoy what i like and not take pot shots at it. I am a big Stephen King fan and I found it interesting that he thinks the Harry Potter stuff is awesome. it is just not my cup of tea. I do however like that it has my kids reading. :thumbup:

After that long apology I have to say that I do believe that a large part of the H Potter thing is media driven and it will be looked back on the way we look back at the rubics cube.

Ah, don't sweat it. I haven't read page one of any of the books. :P I've only seen the movies but found them pretty entertaining.

Way to make a stand.

Ah, don't sweat it. I haven't read page one of any of the books. :P I've only seen the movies but found them pretty entertaining.
:lmao: holy #### man :lmao:

The similarities between Harry Potter and Star Wars. The story line will follow as well.

Luke Skywalker = Harry Potter

Princess Leia = Hermoine Granger

Hans Solo = Ron Wesley

Obi-Wan or Yoda= Professor Dumbledor

Darth Vader = Lord Voldermort

R2D2 = The Owl

etc, etc, etc.

Harry battles trying to find out who he really is, in the meantime an evil being becomes his nemesis which in the end is actually his father. I think Snapes is actually out to look after Harry and it will be revealed that he is possibly of blood decent as well. A girl that you think he might hook up with (Hermoine) falls for his buddy, which is good because they end up being twins in the end. Harry is able to hone and imporve his skills under the watchfull eyes of the master- Dumbledore.

I believe it was Star Wars 5 where Hans gets placed in that Carbon Freeze and is written off as dead. Maybe Ron suffers a similar fate.

I always thought after reading the first book how much similarity there was between the two story lines, so far it's proven to be pretty close. I guess i'll have to wait until the final book to find out how far off base i've been.

Way to make a stand.

How do we look back at the Rubik's Cube?I mean we look back and go "Wow, I had one of those" or we say "I had a buddy who could finish it in..."

I have never heard anybody talk about it and say "Remember what dorks we were for having a Rubik's Cube"

I don't remember the Cube being a media driven thing.

Please try again

I think Harry Potter will be looked back at somewhat similar to Uncle Tom's Cabin is today. A book/series that is very readable and enjoyable whilst not exacly great literature, that sold in incredible numbers and had a tremendous impact on contemrporay popular culture.

The similarities between Harry Potter and Star Wars. The story line will follow as well.

Hans Solo = Ron Wesley

R2D2 = The Owl

etc, etc, etc.

Harry battles trying to find out who he really is, in the meantime an evil being becomes his nemesis which in the end is actually his father. I think Snapes is actually out to look after Harry and it will be revealed that he is possibly of blood decent as well. A girl that you think he might hook up with (Hermoine) falls for his buddy, which is good because they end up being twins in the end. Harry is able to hone and imporve his skills under the watchfull eyes of the master- Dumbledore.

I believe it was Star Wars 5 where Hans gets placed in that Carbon Freeze and is written off as dead. Maybe Ron suffers a similar fate.

I always thought after reading the first book how much similarity there was between the two story lines, so far it's proven to be pretty close. I guess i'll have to wait until the final book to find out how far off base i've been.
Hey, don't give Lucas any ideas. He sued the original BSG right off the air because of lesser links to Star Wars.

I think Harry Potter will be looked back at somewhat similar to Uncle Tom's Cabin is today. A book/series that is very readable and enjoyable whilst not exacly great literature, that sold in incredible numbers and had a tremendous impact on contemrporay popular culture.
This is a :goodposting: There is NO WAY thee will be looked upon in the same manner that Lord of the Rings is looked upon for the simple fact that they are not as well written. Tolkien's mastery of language and imagery is up there with the best to have ever written. Rowlings has done an amazing thing in that her writing has gotten more "mature" as her characters have -- something few have ever accomplished. But go back and read books one and two, they are very simple books with easy words for younger readers. As Harry has grown, so has Rowling's writing style. It is still no Tolkien, but is much better than in her early works.

Oh, and my guess is:

Voldermort = Dead

Hagrid = Dead saving Harry

Dumbledore = Reprive You have to mean the curse for it to be effective and I do not think Snape really turned. Dumbledore will make an Aslan type reappearance when the time is right.

Rowling is hinting that Harry will die, which of course leads me to believe that he will not. Interesting that she reportedly wrote the final chapter of book seven even before book one had a publisher. If she had grand illusions of writing a seven book series before she had even been published, seems to me that she would at that time not be planning to kill the hero. I agree that either Harry or Voldemort have to die, and I think it has to be Voldemort. But not before Voldemort kills Ron Weasley, opening up the door for Harry to shag Hermoine with a vengence.

BTW - she is reasoning that killing off Harry will discourage non-author written sequels.

Oh, and my guess is:

Voldermort = Dead

Hagrid = Dead saving Harry

Dumbledore = Reprive You have to mean the curse for it to be effective and I do not think Snape really turned. Dumbledore will make an Aslan type reappearance when the time is right.
I could see Dumbledore coming back like that, but I think its going to be Neville that saves Harry and not Hagrid.

Hans Solo = Ron Wesley

R2D2 = The Owl

etc, etc, etc.

What a load of crap. You are clearly reaching here.

Damn you, Hunterbeer. Damn you. You just stole my thunder. :hot:

But that's never stopped me from adding my :2cents: anyway. :D

I've read every one of the Harry Potter books, but let's be clear here, this is a series of books written for, if not children, certainly young people. Rowling has improved somewhat as a writer, but is often overly simplistic. (Is there anyone that read the name "Lupin" that did not immediately know that character was a werewolf?)

BTW, I don't think it is all that amazing that Rowling's books have gotten more mature as her readers have. I think it is just a simple case of a writer getting better at what she does. (But she still isn't particularly good.)

Anyway, I think

- Harry dies (preventing any further books on the character)

- Snape dies (he was never bad, btw, and I have a bet with Scupper to that effect)

- Dumbledore was never dead, so I guess that is the reprieve

- Snape dies (he was never bad, btw, and I have a bet with Scupper to that effect)
Agreed here... Dumbledore can't be wrong... it's just not possible. Snape didn't killl him... dumbledore will be back and snape will die saving harry's life. Snape had to stay close to Voldemort to be an "inside man" and he wanted to step forward to be the one to "killl D'dore" because he didn't want to actually kill him. He's a master of Legilamancy (?) or whatever it is where you can non-verbally cast spells... so he could have said one thing and cast another.

I think this is extremely premature, no matter how great you think the books are.

Lord Voldermort = dead

Draco Malfoy = dead

Severus Snape = reprieve
JK: The last, the final chapter is hidden away although it's now changed very slightly.

J: Is it?

JK: Yeah, one character got a reprieve.

R: Oh really?

JK: Yeah.

J: I mean you are, I just...

JK: But I have to say two die that I didn’t intend to die.

J: Oh no, two much loved ones?

JK: Well you know, a price has to be paid.

R: Significant?

JK: We are dealing with pure evil! So they don’t target the extras, do they? They go straight for the main characters... Or I do.
Read the conversationFirst she says that one she originally intended on killing got a reprieve

Then she says that two that she did not intend on killing originally die

There is nothing said that only 2 die

We know that at least one of Harry or Voldemort (or both) have to die, so they should not be included in the 2 that die. Now it may be Harry that gets the reprieve. Personally, I dont think she is going to kill Harry off. Voldemort will die but as I stated he is not one of the 2.

There will be lots of death, the wizarding world is at war and Voldemort is back at full strength. Deaths will include Lucious Malfoy, Karkaroff, most of the death eaters, some of the order.

Wormtail will also die but he is not one of the 2 either. He will die as he gives Harry an advantage over Voldemort enabling Harry to kill Voldemort.

The two additional that die will be Percy and Victor Krum. I will throw in Neville here as well but I doubt it. He is the ultimate underdog.

The one that gets the reprieve is Ron.

The things I am most interested include what happens to Snape and where do his loyalties really lie, is Dumbledore really dead, what role will dumbledore's brother play, will Harry talk to Sirius, what role will Dobby play, I could go on but that is enough for now.

One last thing, JKR is on record saying the last word of the last chapter is scar. I wonder if killing Voldemort will remove Harry's scar.

Hans Solo = Ron Wesley

R2D2 = The Owl

etc, etc, etc.

I think I remember reading something were Rowling explicitly stated that Voldemort is the last in the line of Slytherin. Which would rule out Harry being his son.Can't find a link though...

Another intersting bit from the interview

R: Listen, all the papers who have been promoting this interview today clearly want us to ask you, "Do you kill off Harry Potter?" It's a ridiculous question because are you likely to say yes or no? I mean, obviously not. You couldn’t possibly answer that but have you ever attempted to do him a little more harm than he’s suffered - I mean in the same way that...

JK: He’s already suffered enough, I mean what...

J: He’s already suffered, he’s been through the mill...

JK: How could I? Every year of his adolescence and childhood he’s saved the wizarding world. And no one believes him, and he...he spends his entire life saving the world, and then next term he’s just back at school being bullied. He's Harry Potter and he's just saved your entire school. And everyone thinks he' just a bit annoying.
So she says that he has suffered enough. This is after all a kids book and killing off the main character is not what a kid would want. I really can't believe that she kills him off. It would mess up the theme of courage and its rewards, facing up to bullies and standing up for what you believe in. There has to be a payoff for Harry bigger than just being the one who defeated Voldemort. He deserves to live happily ever-after with Ginny and all his friends (that's why Ron & Hermonie wont die either)

:blackdot:

Playing severe catch-up in this series, simply based on my wife's obsession with them. (We have been at the last 4 midnight release parties.) Will have to chip in once I have caught up.

It has now been reported that 2 characters will die and 1 received a reprieve from death. Much discussion revolves around who is now dead in the series. With about a year left before book 7 is released there is lots of time for this to be contemplated.

Lord Voldermort = dead

Draco Malfoy = dead

Severus Snape = reprieve
JK: The last, the final chapter is hidden away although it's now changed very slightly.

J: Is it?

JK: Yeah, one character got a reprieve.

R: Oh really?

JK: Yeah.

J: I mean you are, I just...

JK: But I have to say two die that I didn’t intend to die.

J: Oh no, two much loved ones?

JK: Well you know, a price has to be paid.

R: Significant?

JK: We are dealing with pure evil! So they don’t target the extras, do they? They go straight for the main characters... Or I do.
Read the conversationFirst she says that one she originally intended on killing got a reprieve

Then she says that two that she did not intend on killing originally die

There is nothing said that only 2 die

We know that at least one of Harry or Voldemort (or both) have to die, so they should not be included in the 2 that die. Now it may be Harry that gets the reprieve. Personally, I dont think she is going to kill Harry off. Voldemort will die but as I stated he is not one of the 2.

There will be lots of death, the wizarding world is at war and Voldemort is back at full strength. Deaths will include Lucious Malfoy, Karkaroff, most of the death eaters, some of the order.

Wormtail will also die but he is not one of the 2 either. He will die as he gives Harry an advantage over Voldemort enabling Harry to kill Voldemort.

The two additional that die will be Percy and Victor Krum. I will throw in Neville here as well but I doubt it. He is the ultimate underdog.

The one that gets the reprieve is Ron.

The things I am most interested include what happens to Snape and where do his loyalties really lie, is Dumbledore really dead, what role will dumbledore's brother play, will Harry talk to Sirius, what role will Dobby play, I could go on but that is enough for now.

One last thing, JKR is on record saying the last word of the last chapter is scar. I wonder if killing Voldemort will remove Harry's scar.
i dont remember anything about dumbledores brother?

Another intersting bit from the interview

R: Listen, all the papers who have been promoting this interview today clearly want us to ask you, "Do you kill off Harry Potter?" It's a ridiculous question because are you likely to say yes or no? I mean, obviously not. You couldn’t possibly answer that but have you ever attempted to do him a little more harm than he’s suffered - I mean in the same way that...

JK: He’s already suffered enough, I mean what...

J: He’s already suffered, he’s been through the mill...

JK: How could I? Every year of his adolescence and childhood he’s saved the wizarding world. And no one believes him, and he...he spends his entire life saving the world, and then next term he’s just back at school being bullied. He's Harry Potter and he's just saved your entire school. And everyone thinks he' just a bit annoying.
So she says that he has suffered enough. This is after all a kids book and killing off the main character is not what a kid would want. I really can't believe that she kills him off. It would mess up the theme of courage and its rewards, facing up to bullies and standing up for what you believe in. There has to be a payoff for Harry bigger than just being the one who defeated Voldemort. He deserves to live happily ever-after with Ginny and all his friends (that's why Ron & Hermonie wont die either)
You make a good point but if every main hero survives, every villian must die for them to live happily ever after since she says she makes it a closed case and no sequels will be needed.

You make a good point but if every main hero survives, every villian must die for them to live happily ever after since she says she makes it a closed case and no sequels will be needed.
The way she can combat further sequels is the way she details the rest of the characters lives in the last chapter. She has said that the last chapter tells what becomes of the main characters. If she says something along the lines that Harry lives out his life as the seeker for the Chudley Cannons and England's Nat'l team with no excitement or further adventures she can avoid sequles that way.A stab at the last line. "The only thing that remained of Voldemort was Harry's scar"

From bodog:

Odds On: Which character will be the first to die in the final book of the Harry Potter series?

Harry Potter

1/1

Lord Voldemort

2/1

Severus Snape

4/1

Lucius Malfoy

6/1

Ginny Weasley

10/1

Hagrid

12/1

Ronald Weasley

12/1

Hermione Granger

15/1

Draco Malfoy

20/1

Cho Chang

25/1

Professor McGonagall

30/1

From bodog:

Odds On: Which character will be the first to die in the final book of the Harry Potter series?

Harry Potter

1/1

Lord Voldemort

2/1

Severus Snape

4/1

Lucius Malfoy

6/1

Ginny Weasley

10/1

Hagrid

12/1

Ronald Weasley

12/1

Hermione Granger

15/1

Draco Malfoy

20/1

Cho Chang

25/1

Professor McGonagall

30/1
If it is the first to die I take the field, if it is the first to die of those listed I take Luciuos Malfoy

Users who are viewing this thread