What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Senator-elect James Webb...goes to the White House. (1 Viewer)

Poppa

Footballguy
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...er=emailarticle

In Following His Own Script, Webb May Test Senate's Limits

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia's newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn't long before Bush found him.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

:lmao: :yes: :thumbup:

My new hero... :boxing:

Poppa said:

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia's newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn't long before Bush found him.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

He'll be a constructive addition to the Senate. Nice attitude. :rolleyes:

Poppa said:

He'll be a constructive addition to the Senate. Nice attitude. :rolleyes:
We have enough ### kissers in Congress already. Nice to see a Senator with passion who refuses to be star struck when confronted by the clown who got us into this debacle.

Wow that is really awesome. :rolleyes:

Huge difference between being "star struck" and having the maturity to answer a question when someone asks how your son is.

J

If the exchange with Bush two weeks ago is any indication, Webb won't be a wallflower, especially when it comes to the war in Iraq. And he won't stick to a script drafted by top Democrats.

"I'm not particularly interested in having a picture of me and George W. Bush on my wall," Webb said in an interview yesterday in which he confirmed the exchange between him and Bush. "No offense to the institution of the presidency, and I'm certainly looking forward to working with him and his administration. [but] leaders do some symbolic things to try to convey who they are and what the message is."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6112801582.html

We have enough ### kissers in Congress already. Nice to see a Senator with passion who refuses to be star struck when confronted by the clown who got us into this debacle.
Webb doesn't have to kiss Bush's ###, and he doesn't have to like him. But, he could be civil. His son is in Iraq, and he disses his son's Commander in Chief? Good thing Bush isn't the vindictive sort, as Webb's son might get assigned to start defusing EIDs with a jackhammer.

Wow that is really awesome. :rolleyes:Huge difference between being "star struck" and having the maturity to answer a question when someone asks how your son is. J
I imagine you'd have a different take on this if you had a son who remained in harms way in Iraq for the sole purpose of enabling the US to save face.Think about those soldiers whose lives were lost long after it was apparent that we should pull out of Vietnam. Thousands of lives were lost because many of our political leaders didn't want to face the facts. Who is responsible for those losses?I'm worried we're going to be making the same mistake in Iraq very soon, if we haven't already.

Wow that is really awesome. :rolleyes:Huge difference between being "star struck" and having the maturity to answer a question when someone asks how your son is. J
I imagine you'd have a different take on this if you had a son who remained in harms way in Iraq for the sole purpose of enabling the US to save face.Think about those soldiers whose lives were lost long after it was apparent that we should pull out of Vietnam. Thousands of lives were lost because many of our political leaders didn't want to face the facts. Who is responsible for those losses?I'm worried we're going to be making the same mistake in Iraq very soon, if we haven't already.
If he's that overcome with emotion on this issue he's probably not cut out to be a U.S. Senator.

Webb doesn't have to kiss Bush's ###, and he doesn't have to like him. But, he could be civil. His son is in Iraq, and he disses his son's Commander in Chief? Good thing Bush isn't the vindictive sort, as Webb's son might get assigned to start defusing EIDs with a jackhammer.
If my son was currently in Iraq, I doubt my tone would be much different. Our presence in Iraq is NOT stabilizing the country, and sons and daughters are dying everyday b/c politicians are afraid to face reality and admit a mistake.

If he's that overcome with emotion on this issue he's probably not cut out to be a U.S. Senator.
B/c he realizes that Iraq is only getting worse, and is upset that the morons who took us there refuse to accept their mistake, and instead continue to allow OTHER people's sons and daughters to die?Quite a high standard you have for U.S. Senators red.

I doubt I would. I have a pretty good Ranger friend heading back to Afghanistan for his 3rd tour. I'd strongly wish he wasn't going. But when someone that helped make decisions that put him there asked me how he's doing, the chances of me being a tool to that guy are slim. :shrug:J

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like he answered him. Twice even. :shrug:Also, who was being the tool in that conversation? (Hint: "That's not what I asked you,")

Poor move no matter how you see it. The most powerful man in the free world is talking to you and you dismiss him? Sure you may disagree, but respect the office, 'wad. With that kind of attitiude, I would bet your fellow Dems will not be so hot to help you in a few years.

Nice to see the Democrats reaching across the aisle. I'm sure they are going to be real productive with their stay. I expect illegal immigration reform and not much more mostly becaues of ######s like this guy.

Poor move no matter how you see it. The most powerful man in the free world is talking to you and you dismiss him? Sure you may disagree, but respect the office, 'wad. With that kind of attitiude, I would bet your fellow Dems will not be so hot to help you in a few years.
The libs dismiss the office because of who is in it. Blah, blah, "I respect the office, not the officeholder." blah blah blah argument.

I doubt I would. I have a pretty good Ranger friend heading back to Afghanistan for his 3rd tour. I'd strongly wish he wasn't going. But when someone that helped make decisions that put him there asked me how he's doing, the chances of me being a tool to that guy are slim. :shrug:J
This is being a tool?
"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq."I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme."That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?""That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

Huge difference between being "star struck" and having the maturity to answer a question when someone asks how your son is.

J
I imagine you'd have a different take on this if you had a son who remained in harms way in Iraq for the sole purpose of enabling the US to save face.Think about those soldiers whose lives were lost long after it was apparent that we should pull out of Vietnam. Thousands of lives were lost because many of our political leaders didn't want to face the facts. Who is responsible for those losses?

I'm worried we're going to be making the same mistake in Iraq very soon, if we haven't already.
I doubt I would. I have a pretty good Ranger friend heading back to Afghanistan for his 3rd tour. I'd strongly wish he wasn't going. But when someone that helped make decisions that put him there asked me how he's doing, the chances of me being a tool to that guy are slim. :shrug:

J
This is being a tool?

Absolutely positively. From the followup, it sounds like he knew exactly what he was doing and was looking to make a point. I think he was successful. :shrug: J

I'm sure if the parties were reversed, the Dems would be wetting themselves screaming over that disrespectful gesture..

America always ends up with the government it deserves!! :lmao:

J
I imagine you'd have a different take on this if you had a son who remained in harms way in Iraq for the sole purpose of enabling the US to save face.Think about those soldiers whose lives were lost long after it was apparent that we should pull out of Vietnam. Thousands of lives were lost because many of our political leaders didn't want to face the facts. Who is responsible for those losses?

I'm worried we're going to be making the same mistake in Iraq very soon, if we haven't already.
I doubt I would. I have a pretty good Ranger friend heading back to Afghanistan for his 3rd tour. I'd strongly wish he wasn't going. But when someone that helped make decisions that put him there asked me how he's doing, the chances of me being a tool to that guy are slim. :shrug:

J
This is being a tool?

Absolutely positively. From the followup, it sounds like he knew exactly what he was doing and was looking to make a point. I think he was successful. :shrug: J
Aren't you the guy who tracked some guy down from his license plate because he supposedly flipped off your family? You're telling me if you were standing face to face with the a guy whose shortsighted decisions put your child's life in danger, you'd just stand there smiling and exchange pleasantry's with him after he asked you how that child was? Please.

Aren't you the guy who tracked some guy down from his license plate because he supposedly flipped off your family? You're telling me if you were standing face to face with the a guy whose shortsighted decisions put your child's life in danger, you'd stand there smiling and exchange pleasantry's with him after he asked you how that child was? Please.
:goodposting:

Poppa said:

:thumbdown: Like Bush or not the position of President of The United States deserves respect.

J

J
This is being a tool?

Aren't you the guy who tracked some guy down from his license plate because he supposedly flipped off your family? You're telling me if you were standing face to face with the a guy whose shortsighted decisions put your child's life in danger, you'd just stand there smiling and exchange pleasantry's with him after he asked you how that child was? Please.
But I had a civil and effective conversation with him after I tracked him down. One doesn't always need to be a tool to be effective. I don't know how old Senator Webb is. It took me a while to learn that.

J

J

J
This is being a tool?

maybe the kid shouldn't have volunteered for the military.. I assume he knew that there may be some risk involved...

J

J
This is being a tool?

If he didn't want his son to be in harm's way he should have talked him out of joining the military. And to avoid being a total hypocrite he should make sure to act like a self-righteous ##### to all of his Democratic buddies who voted for the war as well.

It should have gone down like this:

Bush> "How's your boy?"

Webb> "He's doing fine, Mr. President, he's anxious to come home for the holidays." (nice civil reply, with a hint towards his cut and run philosophy)

Bush> "Good, good."

Webb> "Might I have a word in private, Mr. President?"

Bush> "Certainly."

[they walk a few steps away from the crowd]

Webb> "You and your policies is a ####. Have a nice season, guy. :finger:"

See the difference? Polite and civil to the office in public, but lets his feelings to the man be known in private.

J

J
This is being a tool?

But I had a civil and effective conversation with him after I tracked him down. One doesn't always need to be a tool to be effective. I don't know how old Senator Webb is. It took me a while to learn that.

J
Where is he being a tool? When was he disrespectful? I think he handled himself pretty well considering what he could have said. :shrug: I think you're getting hung up on the word "coldly" that the conservative writer added to the hatepiece.

J

J
This is being a tool?

J
Where is he being a tool? When was he disrespectful? I think he handled himself pretty well considering what he could have said. :shrug: I think you're getting hung up on the word "coldly" that the conservative writer added to the hatepiece.
You don't think Webb was being disrespectful? Come on now. Webb himself acknowledges that his dismissal of the President's question and avoidance of taking a picture with him were "symbolic things" meant to get his message across. He snubbed the President. That's disrespectful. Now, I'm not saying that what he did was wrong, but it wouldn't be my style. I would hope to be more of a statesman than that if I was elected to the Senate.

You don't think Webb was being disrespectful? Come on now. Webb himself acknowledges that his dismissal of the President's question and avoidance of taking a picture with him were "symbolic things" meant to get his message across.
Did you see any video?

I imagine you'd have a different take on this if you had a son who remained in harms way in Iraq for the sole purpose of enabling the US to save face.
Get off your high horse. His son volunteered to join the Marines. Marines go to war sometime.

Washington DC needs more men like Webb. Men that have walked the walk - real leaders in tumultuous times.

Webb knows. Webb's son in Iraq is learning. George H.W. Bush knows. Men like this know combat. Men like this know that...men like George W. Bush are pretend warriors. James Webb knows George Bush is at heart, a cowardly man...and treated him as such. How many times has the President reminded us that indeed, he IS the Commander-in-Chief? Just for comparison's sake...I wonder how many times FDR called himself the CiC...?

Good for Webb :thumbup:

Translation:

"How's your boy?" - I don't really care how your boy is, I'm forcing you to acknowlege me noob.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," - I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?" - I don't care to address your statement. Once again, bow down noob.

From the other articles, Webb was avoiding Bush. Bush forced the confrontation.

Poppa said:
Washington DC needs more men like Webb. Men that have walked the walk - real leaders in tumultuous times.

Webb knows. Webb's son in Iraq is learning. George H.W. Bush knows. Men like this know combat. Men like this know that...men like George W. Bush are pretend warriors. James Webb knows George Bush is at heart, a cowardly man...and treated him as such. How many times has the President reminded us that indeed, he IS the Commander-in-Chief? Just for comparison's sake...I wonder how many times FDR called himself the CiC...?

In English please.

I imagine you'd have a different take on this if you had a son who remained in harms way in Iraq for the sole purpose of enabling the US to save face.
Get off your high horse. His son volunteered to join the Marines. Marines go to war sometime.
Bush ultimately made the decision to put soldiers lives at risk. Who cares whether they volunteered or not?

Poppa said:

In English please.
"Bush is a pansy-faced coward, who didn't have the guts to go to VietNam and shoot himself in the foot, like my hero John Kerry!! :angry:"

A big :thumbup: to Webb for having the cojones to put Bush in his place.

And for the snappy comeback!

I would hope to be more of a statesman than that if I was elected to the Senate.
We need less statemanship and more people standing up for what they believe in, even if that means saying "that's between me and my son, Mr. President".
Wait a minute. When Bush did this, all we heard about was he was "going at things unilaterally" and not "practicing diplomacy and statesmanship." But now we need less statesmenship?

Poppa said:

In English please.
"Bush is a pansy-faced coward, who didn't have the guts to go to VietNam and shoot himself in the foot, like my hero John Kerry!! :angry:"
Please find any post - anywhere - that Poppa has included the word's "Kerry" and "hero" in the same sentence. But you got this part right...Bush is a pansy-faced coward, who didn't have the guts to go to VietNam

With a straight face...compare the war records of Webb and Kerry...then report back.

:rolleyes:

Translation:"How's your boy?" - I don't really care how your boy is, I'm forcing you to acknowlege me noob."I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," - I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?" - I don't care to address your statement. Once again, bow down noob. From the other articles, Webb was avoiding Bush. Bush forced the confrontation.
:goodposting: I'm surprised a translation of a politcal power-play was needed, but I'm glad you provided an accurate one.If someone is justifiably pissed off because your foolishness created a situation that endangered the life of their kid, it's a really bad move to compound the issue by calling them out when they're trying to avoid you.

J

J
This is being a tool?

And here I thought we had a volunteer army.

Poppa said:

In English please.
Please find any post - anywhere - that Poppa has included the word's "Kerry" and "hero" in the same sentence. But you got this part right...Bush is a pansy-faced coward, who didn't have the guts to go to VietNam

With a straight face...compare the war records of Webb and Kerry...then report back.

:rolleyes:
Sorry if I implied that YOU actually said that. I was merely reciting the liberal mantra.

Translation:"How's your boy?" - I don't really care how your boy is, I'm forcing you to acknowlege me noob."I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," - I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?" - I don't care to address your statement. Once again, bow down noob. From the other articles, Webb was avoiding Bush. Bush forced the confrontation.
:goodposting: I'm surprised a translation of a politcal power-play was needed, but I'm glad you provided an accurate one.If someone is justifiably pissed off because your foolishness created a situation that endangered the life of their kid, it's a really bad move to compound the issue by calling them out when they're trying to avoid you.
Why does that have to be the translation?Maybe Bush was trying to smooth over the edges so they could work together? Asking about family -- especially one who is at war -- seems a nice thing to do.

Why does that have to be the translation?Maybe Bush was trying to smooth over the edges so they could work together? Asking about family -- especially one who is at war -- seems a nice thing to do.
Consider the context - didn't Bush know Webb's position prior to confronting him? He must have, most people who follow politics do. He also knew Webb was purposefully avoiding him and yet he purposefully forced the power-play. He probably thought the situation would force Webb to play along, but he was wrong about that. Those of you who have kids can probably appreciate the fact that their safety trumps most social-interactions, even political power-plays at the presidential level. If asking about family and their level of involvement (or lack there of) in the war is a nice thing, maybe Webb could have replied "My boy is having a tough time over there like all our troops are. By the way, what have your daughters been up to since the war started?" I'm sure that would have been viewed unfavorably.

Users who are viewing this thread