What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interstellar - SciFi movie coming out in November (1 Viewer)

Hopefully this is like Event Horizon but instead of deep space travel making everyone hallucinate and go insane, it makes Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a nude lesbo scene.

Been following this one for a while. At this point I'd watch a Nolan movie if it were "American Idol: The Movie" and it being about a super interesting topic only makes me more excited.

Nolan is starting the jump the shark for me. Yea, he makes entertaining films that sorta tickle the intellect, but he's more Michael Bay than Stanley Kubrick, and his plot holes seem to get more and more idiotic with each passing movie.

Nolan is starting the jump the shark for me. Yea, he makes entertaining films that sorta tickle the intellect, but he's more Michael Bay than Stanley Kubrick, and his plot holes seem to get more and more idiotic with each passing movie.
sorry, but with his obsession with practical effects and how his films look, Nolan is the anti-Bay. also, no body fluid humor and 250 product placements/movie.

I could see saying that about TDKR, but one film (in a franchise that he was clearly fatigueing on) does not a pattern make.

GO SEE IT. Special effects aside, this is a very moving(emotional) movie.

Doesn't need IMAX to be awesome. It is not just a sci-fi movie-good drama.

Sorry but this has got to be the most ridiculous post I've seen in a while. Bay is a Hack through and through. Nolan is not even close.

The movie was not that good at all. Easily Nolan's worst work to date. It really fell apart halfway thru (was already shaky before then) and never recovered. Too many large leaps of logic for my taste and I didn't care for a single character. By the end of the movie, nothing made any sense at all - not because it was dealing with some really huge concepts that are hard to understand, but because the setup, execution and development was really poor. The movie clocks in at almost 3 hours, and it could have used half that to tell it's story. I've NEVER walked out of a movie but I was ready to at the halfway point for this one.

The SFX and score were great, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this one today.

Loved it.

Much heavier on the human drama aspect (which I liked a lot), and didn't get too bogged down on the scientific details.

Cinematography was awesome and beautiful.

8.5/10 for me.

just got back from watching it. I loved it. I will say if you have young children this movie will make you cry. There are at least 2 major scenes that are just heartwrenching. Aside from the emotion this movie evokes, it is a stunning visual. There are some parts in it that being an astrophysicist might help you understand but it also moves into some theoretical "sci-fi" that is extremely effective. Its a long movie but you don't want it to end. I highly recommend it.

Nolan is the money making version of Shamalamadingdong.
GTFO

1. M.Night movies made an assload of $$

2. Nolan has not made anything that approaches the crapitude that is The Happening or Last Airbender. hell, his worst movie probably equals night's best.

The movie was not that good at all. Easily Nolan's worst work to date. It really fell apart halfway thru (was already shaky before then) and never recovered. Too many large leaps of logic for my taste and I didn't care for a single character. By the end of the movie, nothing made any sense at all - not because it was dealing with some really huge concepts that are hard to understand, but because the setup, execution and development was really poor. The movie clocks in at almost 3 hours, and it could have used half that to tell it's story. I've NEVER walked out of a movie but I was ready to at the halfway point for this one.

I agree mostly but still give it an 8 out of 10. I thought it was going great for the first half. Great story, great action, visuals and humor (I want a T.A.R.S.).

But it was a big bump in the road when Jessica Chastains' storyline started and then almost ground to a halt when Matt Damon showed up. But it did finish strong. I was a bit disappointed after all the hype building up to it

Also, I would have loved to see John Lithgow and Michael Caine switch roles.
Great posting. Both would have worked better in the other role.I thought it was the extra large milkshake of movies: enjoyable and took a while to consume, but left me with a headache after due to brain freeze and the insipid ending.

GTFO1. M.Night movies made an assload of $$

2. Nolan has not made anything that approaches the crapitude that is The Happening or Last Airbender. hell, his worst movie probably equals night's best.
Really? I never wanted to see any of Nolan's big movies more than once. Supersize canvas, boat loads of cliches, a small sprinkle of human spirit.

Really? I never wanted to see any of Nolan's big movies more than once. Supersize canvas, boat loads of cliches, a small sprinkle of human spirit.
so be it. my guess is that you are in a pretty small minority on that one.

I would like to see him make a movie about a normal person grounded in reality for a change, but I suspect that will never happen.

What do you mean by supersize canvas?

I would like to see him make a movie about a normal person grounded in reality for a change, but I suspect that will never happen.
That's called day to day life...and we know how that goes. :coffee:

sounds dull, and it doesn't seem to be the movie that Nolan is interested in making.

sounds dull, and it doesn't seem to be the movie that Nolan is interested in making.
I am glad about that. There's plenty of other directors that can do the real life stuff. I want something new and interesting to get lost in. Nolan has consistently delivered that.

I really enjoyed it. I can see how some people wouldn't like it too much, call it overly sentimental etc but Nolan always reaches big and I like that. It's not a perfect movie but it has some absolutely stunning visuals and I'll support any director who is trying to do something great. Also I might just be a softie but be prepared to shed a tear or two.

I am glad about that. There's plenty of other directors that can do the real life stuff. I want something new and interesting to get lost in. Nolan has consistently delivered that.
That is why he makes money. And it is the reason why you like Avata and I don't. I suppose it is okay as long as Nolan does not think he has painted himself into a corner creatively.

That's called day to day life...and we know how that goes. :coffee:
A lot of people may think Interstellar is more sentimental then Nolan's other movies and they're right. Even though it needs work in this area, it is a step in the right direction in terms of connecting with day-to-day life.
Many parents who do not spend as much time with their children as they want. Often their kids are already asleep when they get home from a long day's work.
There may still be hope for Chris Nolan.

That is why he makes money. And it is the reason why you like Avata and I don't. I suppose it is okay as long as Nolan does not think he has painted himself into a corner creatively.
now I gotta ask:

what movies or directors that make money (curious that is your sticking point) DO you like?

now I gotta ask: what movies or directors that make money (curious that is your sticking point) DO you like?
Huh? It has nothing to do with the money. I was pretty excited about Nolan's work when I saw Following.

I ####### hate Avatar. All fluff with a regurgitated script from at least a dozen movies. Avatar is in the Bay realm to me.

I ####### hate Avatar. All fluff with a regurgitated script from at least a dozen movies. Avatar is in the Bay realm to me.
Wow. Okay, you win. You hate Avatar more than I do. :oldunsure:

The last third of the movie was a mess. The sound was jacked up too, couldn't hear what the professor's dying secret was. A lot of people had the same complaint. Plus, it was too dang long.

Loved everything about this movie.. except the Matt Damon part.. So many other ways to go with that other then "take a guy for a walk and kill him and then beat everyone back to the ship to leave".

Really enjoyed the "One hour down there is many years back on Earth" when they left for the planet next to the Black Hole. especially liked how they handled it when they returned to the main ship to find they had been gone 23 years... Watching 23 years of videos from home was :cry:

I didn't find it nearly as much of a Mind F**K as Deception, but still takes a few "wait what did they say/do" turns that it will make it worth watching a couple of times once it is released to video.

All and all a very enjoyable movie.. Without the Matt Damon goes :loco: part I'd give it a 9 out of 10.. But have to knock it down to 8 out of 10 because of it.

The last third of the movie was a mess. The sound was jacked up too, couldn't hear what the professor's dying secret was. A lot of people had the same complaint. Plus, it was too dang long.
To hell with your ears because this movie is "important to the human race".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/interstellar-is-the-best-_b_6122732.html

:lol:
I'm not sure if that whole thing is shtick or not. IMO, the movie was simply not that good. I was extremely disappointed as I'm a huge fan of Nolan.

Hmm. Did you have to go to the restroom really bad?

Rohn Jambo said:

No, I did not.

I think the fact that It's not getting very good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes (73%) and Big Hero 6 was #1 at the BO this weekend is telling.

Rohn Jambo said:

No, I did not.

I think the fact that It's not getting very good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes (73%) and Big Hero 6 was #1 at the BO this weekend is telling.
not really. sci-fi that doesn't have jedis or fighting robots doesn't usually haul in a ton of money. add to that the 3hour run time, and it won't be able to screen as many times as other movies.

snogger said:
Loved everything about this movie.. except the Matt Damon part.. So many other ways to go with that other then "take a guy for a walk and kill him and then beat everyone back to the ship to leave".

Really enjoyed the "One hour down there is many years back on Earth" when they left for the planet next to the Black Hole. especially liked how they handled it when they returned to the main ship to find they had been gone 23 years... Watching 23 years of videos from home was :cry:

I didn't find it nearly as much of a Mind F**K as Deception, but still takes a few "wait what did they say/do" turns that it will make it worth watching a couple of times once it is released to video.

All and all a very enjoyable movie.. Without the Matt Damon goes :loco: part I'd give it a 9 out of 10.. But have to knock it down to 8 out of 10 because of it.
Thanks. Guess I don't have to see the movie now.

Users who are viewing this thread