What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Drummers from our time (1 Viewer)

Ginger Baker deserves a mention here as does Carter Beauford. I've never been a huge fan of Dave Matthews Band, still not really, but Beauford is impressive.

Neil Peart takes it down! I also :wub: Gary Wallis who was such a showman with Pink Floyd Division Bell tour as drummer & percussionist. The energy of bouncing and jumping around to hit his mondo items in his set in a cage like set up that goes over your head is amazing and very entertaining. Makes Nick Mason look like he's 80 by sitting there drumming along. :D

Drummer is not supposed to make himself the center of attention. Peart and Moon good but DQ'd automatically for that reason. Also, Peart's case not helped by being in Rush.

Bonham IMO.

Rick Allen wins this, with one arm tied behind his back.
kinda tough to drum with no arms then?
:lol:

When he had his accident in the 80s, no one thought he'd be able to do it by himself and were figuring out how to incorporate devices or have another drummer as well. He came back and amazed many of us. This alone should get him a great drummer nod whether he is considered one of the best or not.

Neil Peart

John Bonham

Stewart Copeland

Carter Beauford

Gavin Harrison

Matt Cameron (his work with Soundgarden)

Names escape me but

Drummer from Incubus

Drummer from Live

Drummer from The Black Crowes

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie Watts , really? Yes really

I enjoy the all over the kit style of Keith Moon but one of the most underrated drummers in R&R history is Charlie Watts.It's the richness and character Charlie adds to every Stones song. He embodies his style just as Keith Moon embodies his to The Who. Give Exile a listen and concentrate only on Charlie, as if he were the singer. You'll probably notice things about his style that you hadn't before. It's about the groove. I don't know of another drummer in rock who does what he does. The Charlie Watts beat. Groove + character, a winning combo.But to really rate him as a drummer, check out his jazz stuff.

Charlie Watts , really? Yes really

I enjoy the all over the kit style of Keith Moon but one of the most underrated drummers in R&R history is Charlie Watts.It's the richness and character Charlie adds to every Stones song. He embodies his style just as Keith Moon embodies his to The Who. Give Exile a listen and concentrate only on Charlie, as if he were the singer. You'll probably notice things about his style that you hadn't before. It's about the groove. I don't know of another drummer in rock who does what he does. The Charlie Watts beat. Groove + character, a winning combo.But to really rate him as a drummer, check out his jazz stuff.
Hey, when you hear both Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards kissing this guy's ### over drumming ability, one must listen, wake up, and figure out what they're talking about. One of the best R&R drummahs of all time, imo.

Neil Peart

John Bonham

Stewart Copeland

Carter Beauford

Gavin Harrison

Matt Cameron (his work with Soundgarden)

Names escape me but

Drummer from Incubus

Drummer from Live

Drummer from The Black Crowes
Nice calls.

Still surprised the Rush fans aren't storming the thread, screaming "HERESY", and threatening everyone with wizard staffs.... yet.

Still surprised the Rush fans aren't storming the thread, screaming "HERESY", and threatening everyone with wizard staffs.... yet.
I am probably one of the biggest Rush fan on this board beside Ghost Rider and Grace Under Pressure (as well as a long time musician), and Neil Peart is my all time favorite drummer.

But music is subjective. And I love so many other artists as well. The Rush fans who are stereotyped D&D geeks....yeah they are kinda of annoying...but you would be very surprised at how many Rush fans don't fit that stereotype and a lot of us are musicians as well. So there are other "factions" (for lack of a better term) of Rush fans who totally love other artists and listen to so much other stuff and don't just beat the drum of Rush are gods and there are no other rivals...blah blah blah. LOL.

I never label any fellow musician as greatest or best. There is no such thing. Rock music (as that is my genre) is not about competition. It is about jamming, writing riffs and great hooks too. Bands that do that are awesome in my book. Most influential can be debated subjectively, but not best of all time. That to me is silly.

Stuart Copeland, Carter Beauford and Gavin Harrison...they are just as talented and skilled as Neil. It comes down to who touches you inside more. What riffs influenced and inspired you more. For me Peart, Bonham, Harrison, Copland and Beauford all spoke to me. All of them are incredible players in their own right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex Van Halen
Eddie had 95% of the talent in this family, but yes, Alex is a damn fine drummer. But I think Eddie is one of the 3 best musicians (of any instrument) to EVER walk planet Earth. Most copied man on the planet.

Not sure he fits in with greatest, but Stephen Perkins is a personal favorite of mine. Guy can get a such a tribal, primitive feel out of what he does.

Users who are viewing this thread