What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why no negative points for fumbles? (1 Viewer)

tooper10

Footballguy
I can't believe I made it this deep into the season before actually noticing this, but tonight's loss of less than two points to kick me out of the league finals when Vernon Davis lost a fumble tonight obviously shines a huge spotlight on it for me.

Maybe I missed a post somewhere with the reasoning behind fumbles being forgiven, and if so, please direct me there. If not, can someone explain why a player does not get penalized for coughing the ball up? QBs still get negative points for interceptions, so why shouldn't there be penalties for fumbles.

I can't believe I made it this deep into the season before actually noticing this, but tonight's loss of less than two points to kick me out of the league finals when Vernon Davis lost a fumble tonight obviously shines a huge spotlight on it for me. Maybe I missed a post somewhere with the reasoning behind fumbles being forgiven, and if so, please direct me there. If not, can someone explain why a player does not get penalized for coughing the ball up? QBs still get negative points for interceptions, so why shouldn't there be penalties for fumbles.
This, as all other scoring criteria are just a matter of preferance. When the scoring system was created, we chose not to add any more negative points besides interceptions. But it's fair for all. It may have hurt you in this case but you could have easily been the opposing team not getting a "L" because of the fumble.

Alex,

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I understand the system is fair in the sense it applies to everyone equally--I don't dispute that. Also, while it did hurt me in this instance, I merely pointed that out because it was the reason why I had actually, finally noticed the absense of the penality.

You still didn't answer the question though. Saying scoring systems are a matter of preference and that you just chose not to add it does nothing to answer the question of why. Perhaps I am wrong, but in my experience the vast majority of fantasy leagues include negative points for fumbles lost and interceptions. If this is indeed the case, I am simply inquiring as to your thought process and philosophy in choosing not to include one and not the other your scoring system. Did you feel QBs should be more culpable for turnovers specific to them? Did you feel -1 for interception was enough and more negative points would be too disruptive to league scoring? I am not trying to get you to change anything, I am just trying to understand. Thanks!

Alex, Thank you for your reply! Yes, I understand the system is fair in the sense it applies to everyone equally--I don't dispute that. Also, while it did hurt me in this instance, I merely pointed that out because it was the reason why I had actually, finally noticed the absense of the penality. You still didn't answer the question though. Saying scoring systems are a matter of preference and that you just chose not to add it does nothing to answer the question of why. Perhaps I am wrong, but in my experience the vast majority of fantasy leagues include negative points for fumbles lost and interceptions. If this is indeed the case, I am simply inquiring as to your thought process and philosophy in choosing not to include one and not the other your scoring system. Did you feel QBs should be more culpable for turnovers specific to them? Did you feel -1 for interception was enough and more negative points would be too disruptive to league scoring? I am not trying to get you to change anything, I am just trying to understand. Thanks!
Sorry for not being more clear. When I say this is a matter of preferance, I mean that it was our preferance to go without negative points for fumbles as we did not want to add negative scoring. Negative scoring often leaves a really bad taste in the mouth of FF owners, especially when they lose because of it. We did not want to include it in our contest beyond INTs which is a universally accepted deduction. Fumbles were not, at least in our opinion at the time of creating this scoring format in 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread