What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon (1 Viewer)

I would watch a show where U2 just travels the world and plays concerts on monuments and in front of amazing vistas.

Last edited by a moderator:
He seemed really humbled and thrilled to be taking this on. I have to admit, when he first got late night I was skeptical and thought he was awful at first but he really improved and played to his strengths. I think it will translate and he'll do as well as someone could in this slot. He is a very talented guy and as long as he stays humble and works hard I think he has the likability factor to stick around a long time.

Interesting group of stars coming out with the $100 - maybe a little cheesy but it was good fun

Holy Christ when all those celebs came out to pay Jimmy his money, Mariah Carey has got to be pushing 175+. That is not a petite woman

I liked the acoustic performance by U2. Jimmy had them do it because he said that if he ever had U2 on his set, he wanted to have them sing acoustic to prove that they had the goods.

They passed

I thought it was great. But I'm a big Fallon fan.

Glad to have him on a little earlier.

I liked the acoustic performance by U2. Jimmy had them do it because he said that if he ever had U2 on his set, he wanted to have them sing acoustic to prove that they had the goods.

They passed
That's pretty bold of Jimmy Fallon to imply U2 might not have the goods.

To me, Fallon isn't very funny when he's doing stand-up. I can't recall laughing all that much when I've watched his stand-up.

His strengths are his banter with guests and his immense talent vocally and in skits.

I think his show will be good, but there is going to be a segment of people who are going to tune in, not laugh at his stand-up and switch over to Letterman.

Never cared much for Leno, especially after the debacle with Conan. Fallon is much more relatable and I liked what I saw last night before I fell asleep. I'm happy for him getting this gig and I think he'll do really well.

To me, Fallon isn't very funny when he's doing stand-up. I can't recall laughing all that much when I've watched his stand-up.

His strengths are his banter with guests and his immense talent vocally and in skits.

I think his show will be good, but there is going to be a segment of people who are going to tune in, not laugh at his stand-up and switch over to Letterman.
The monologues are lame.

The conversation is iffy largely misses with some rare hits.

But the skits are gold, the musical references are unique and worth it in themselves especially.

But he has to stay current - which he will have to do over time, which is tough. Carson was a brilliant monologuist who got sucked in by L.A. buttslapping self-referencing and inside jokes no one else got, and Leno was a cutting edge standup at one time who became too far removed what was happening in the clubs no matter how hard he tried. These guys get into a bubble, it just happens.

ALL of those those late night shows are/were awful and not the least bit funny. Have to be pretty bad off for entertainment to watch.

They passed
That's pretty bold of Jimmy Fallon to imply U2 might not have the goods.
I worded it wrong

He said that if he ever had U2 on his show he wanted them to play a song acoustic so people would know that they have the goods. He knows it, you know it, I know it, but to some people, they want to hear someone acoustic to prove that they can really sing.

It is easy to see who can and can't really sing. There are a lot of "singers" out there who will ever EVER sing without a machine to make them sound good

ALL of those those late night shows are/were awful and not the least bit funny. Have to be pretty bad off for entertainment to watch.
When I was in high school, I thought Letterman was the funniest person on earth. I would watch every night and sleep through first period. Rarely watch anymore, but he'll always be the gold standard for me.

Leno to me has always been corny, too safe and middle of the road. Was never a fan.

I think Conan is pretty great. If I was up at that hour watching TV on a regular basis, I would watch him. Fallon would be in the mix too. I just don't watch late night shows except for SNL.

U2 was awesome.

Jimmy has to learn how to interview. He has everything else. Just relax and ask some decent questions without going all turrets...

McGarnicle said:
irish eyes said:
When I was in high school, I thought Letterman was the funniest person on earth. I would watch every night and sleep through first period. Rarely watch anymore, but he'll always be the gold standard for me.

Leno to me has always been corny, too safe and middle of the road. Was never a fan.

I think Conan is pretty great. If I was up at that hour watching TV on a regular basis, I would watch him. Fallon would be in the mix too. I just don't watch late night shows except for SNL.
Leno was decent at the stand up but sucked in every other way. Glad he's gone for good.

For me its;

#1 Kimmel

#2 Conan

#3 Fallon

I hope he doesn't lose the quirky and goofy skits...being the tonight show I have a feeling g they will reign him a bit. Lots of older TS viewers they don't want to lose.

McGarnicle said:
irish eyes said:
Same here. I used to VHS Letterman on NBC every night and watch it when I was getting ready for school. 1986-1990 timeframe

I hope he doesn't lose the quirky and goofy skits...being the tonight show I have a feeling g they will reign him a bit. Lots of older TS viewers they don't want to lose.
The skits are what generates the buzz on social media the following day. We've moved on from the days where the water cooler conversation topic was "did you hear what Carson said?" to today where people tweet or forward sponsored links to the skits from last night's show.

I think Fallon's biggest current deficiency is as an interviewer. 11:30 shows get bigger guests than the 12:30 shows do. Some guests won't want to play games with Fallon. I'll switch back and forth between Fallon and Ferguson but I can't recall many interviews where Fallon's subjects reveal anything interesting. They tend to be a lot of laughing at inside jokes and a clip.

I used to dvr Letterman and Conan. When Conan went to the Tonight Show, I decided to drop Lettermen and dvr Kimmel. Love Kimmel now and Conan has gone stale so this week I dropped Conan for Fallon. I'll give Fallon a shot for a while. Hopefully they'll be a good variety of guests with the east coast/west coast difference. Conan just hasn't been as good since he left NY.

Used to watch Letterman most nights, then it was Conan nightly. For the past three years, it has been Ferguson nightly and the rest based on guests. Conan still has the best skits. Fallon has the best made-for-youtube segments. Ferguson has the best monologue, interviews and sidekick. It's especially impressive when you realize that Ferguson doesn't rehearse at all, and most of his banter with the robot is improv on the spot.

The skits are what generates the buzz on social media the following day. We've moved on from the days where the water cooler conversation topic was "did you hear what Carson said?" to today where people tweet or forward sponsored links to the skits from last night's show.

I think Fallon's biggest current deficiency is as an interviewer. 11:30 shows get bigger guests than the 12:30 shows do. Some guests won't want to play games with Fallon. I'll switch back and forth between Fallon and Ferguson but I can't recall many interviews where Fallon's subjects reveal anything interesting. They tend to be a lot of laughing at inside jokes and a clip.
Fallon 11:30

Ferguson 12:30

just saying...

I agree with that, but I've given up hope of an 11:30 show being interview-centric. At 12:30, Ferguson can get away with an entire show where he shoots the **** with Stephen Fry. And it's great because Stephen Fry is bright and interesting and I'd be interested in what he had to say even if he weren't a celebrity.

But he's very much the exception now. I've bemoaned the death of the great talk show guest before. Tony Randall used to be able to go on a show and be funny and engaging and nobody cared what movie he had out currently. He was just a funny, interesting guy.

Fallon 11:30

Ferguson 12:30

just saying...
Sorry, messed up the tense in my previous post. We would switch-off between Fallon & Ferguson in the 12:30 slot. I suspect Letterman will still be the go-to background noise at 11:30 just out of force of habit.

I agree with that, but I've given up hope of an 11:30 show being interview-centric. At 12:30, Ferguson can get away with an entire show where he shoots the **** with Stephen Fry. And it's great because Stephen Fry is bright and interesting and I'd be interested in what he had to say even if he weren't a celebrity.

But he's very much the exception now. I've bemoaned the death of the great talk show guest before. Tony Randall used to be able to go on a show and be funny and engaging and nobody cared what movie he had out currently. He was just a funny, interesting guy.
yeah, if you asked people about great talk show guests today you'd get schticksters like Bill Murray, Martin Short and Robin Williams. Funny but not in the slightest bit revealing.

I realize it was just kicking a pebble down a hill but Kimmel's interview with Kanye was better than anything Leno has done recently or Fallon will do in the forseeable future.

Holy Christ when all those celebs came out to pay Jimmy his money, Mariah Carey has got to be pushing 175+. That is not a petite woman
My god she was lookin' gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread