What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 ACC Basketball - CLOSED (use 2016 thread now) (1 Viewer)

oso diablo

Footballguy
Today is a great day to start a new thread for the 2014-15 season, as the ACC welcomes Louisville and says farewell to Maryland.

May we all keep improving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today is a great day to start a new thread for the 2014-15 season, as the ACC welcomes Louisville and says farewell to Maryland.

Yep, fishing on that Louisville Atlantic coast is something special. Oh wait, that's the Ohio freaking river. Over the last decade or two they've totally ruined conference alignment.

JohnnyU said:
oso diablo said:

Yep, fishing on that Louisville Atlantic coast is something special. Oh wait, that's the Ohio freaking river. Over the last decade or two they've totally ruined conference alignment.
I don't think that the real Johnny U is rolling over in his grave. He was a Louisville legend, and if he were alive today, I think he would be happy that they are now a member of the ACC. I don't like that the alignments have changed the heart of college sports, but all things considered, I think Louisville found a nice landing spot. The ACC landscape has changed a bit, but most teams are in states that border the Atlantic Coast. Louisville isn't that far removed. The Gulf of Mexico, which is part of the Atlantic, does go into the Mississippi river which meets the Ohio River. The biggest fish I ever caught was in Louisville when my uncle lived there, so I reckon you're right...fishing there is something special.

Excited for the UNC season... Still a little too early for me personally to dive into discussion as NFL training camp hasn't even started yet, which means we are a long ways away from midnight madness :kicksrock:

JohnnyU said:
oso diablo said:

are you a Louisville grad/fan? if so, welcome!

JohnnyU said:
oso diablo said:

I'm gonna guess UK fan.

F'n big east invaders!

:coffee:

As usual, mixed feelings going into the new season as a 'Cuse fan. Some big losses and seeing our PG go from underrated to one and done really hurts. Some good recruits but have to see how it plays out.

JohnnyU said:
oso diablo said:

I'm gonna guess UK fan.
That is correct.

Can one of you guys who isnt Ripleys give me the lowdown on McAdoo?
Great athlete. Fast for his height, good wingspan, big frame suggests he can add weight without sacrificing quickness.

He can score by beating other bigs down the court or with a good pass setting the table for him. Very good cutting to the hoop and straight-line one-dribble moves. Not a great passer, but good enough at recognizing double-teams to pass out of them. Should become a good high PnR defender: good BKBIQ, quick feet, long arms, can give guards just enough trouble on switches to have to reset the play. Should be able to handle stretch fours in 4-out sets for the same reasons.

When he played with a lot of talent around him, especially with excellent distributor Kendall Marshall at PG, he looked like a potential lottery pick. His draft stock plummeted when it was discovered he can't shoot. At all. Lousy FT%, horrible from midrange, no post moves.

Rebounding numbers are suspect for a player his size, too.

Could be effective as an high-energy spark off the bench, or with a running team that has other scoring options built in. Defenses won't have to pay attention to him in half-court offense since he can't shoot and he doesn't have great rebounding instincts.

If he develops at least elbow range on his jumper, he could have spread PnR potential with a second unit: can roll for dunks, decent enough passer to choose between three spot-up shooters, and adding a 15-foot jumper would presumably improve his FT shooting, too.

Don't get too psyched about anything he does in the summer league. He's always thrived in those types of games (he looked like the next Amare during the post season all star games before he got to UNC).

He's a really good athlete with an NBA body. He'll go to the rim and throw down some spectacular dunks at times. (like last night) But he really doesn't have any sort of inside game and can't really shoot. (horrendous FT shooter as well). His lack of a post game often forced him to just settle for mid-range jumpers (which he's ok at in college, but not really good enough for the NBA) and as a result, he tends to float at times. Not a great passer and has some bad turnovers at times.

Defensively, he obviously moves his feet pretty well. He'll probably be pretty solid on the pick and roll. But he's not a rim protector and doesn't really defend the post very well. Tries to take A LOT of charges because he doesn't have the strength to hold up 1 on 1.

In the right system with the right PG, I think he could carve out a niche as a finisher for a 2nd unit. But at this point, I think he's pretty much proven that he's not going to be a starting NBA power forward.

How do you guys match up with Nebraska?
:cry: :cry: :cry:

God, I can't deal with this. Hating Nebraska? How can you even do that?
Q: What do Huskers fans think the "N" on their football helmets stands for?

A: Knowledge.

That's an easy start.
Is that what it's come to? It's never been a reach to despise UNC, Duke, or UVA. I have to go with a letter? And I like friggin Izzo!!!!

:cry:

Don't get too psyched about anything he does in the summer league. He's always thrived in those types of games (he looked like the next Amare during the post season all star games before he got to UNC).

He's a really good athlete with an NBA body. He'll go to the rim and throw down some spectacular dunks at times. (like last night) But he really doesn't have any sort of inside game and can't really shoot. (horrendous FT shooter as well). His lack of a post game often forced him to just settle for mid-range jumpers (which he's ok at in college, but not really good enough for the NBA) and as a result, he tends to float at times. Not a great passer and has some bad turnovers at times.

Defensively, he obviously moves his feet pretty well. He'll probably be pretty solid on the pick and roll. But he's not a rim protector and doesn't really defend the post very well. Tries to take A LOT of charges because he doesn't have the strength to hold up 1 on 1.

In the right system with the right PG, I think he could carve out a niche as a finisher for a 2nd unit. But at this point, I think he's pretty much proven that he's not going to be a starting NBA power forward.
I agree with both takes.

John Broward ‏@ACCRecruitingXP

More unc NCAA violations involving Dexter Strickland, Danny Green,Hairston, John Henson, &Leslie McDonald to be revealed this week. @NCAA

John Broward @ACCRecruitingXP

A simple traffic violation search has revealed numerous violations involving impermissible benefits (vehicles) for unc basketball players.

Dexter Strickland has multiple traffic violations in the car of semi-pro basketball player /agent affiliate Rashaan Barner while at unc.

All information obtained through basic court record search in NC, VA, SC & Florida. @unccompliance

Wayne Walden finally being mentioned by the National press. Still no interview from the mystery man now in seclusion in Texas. #Whereswayne

UNC-CHeat :bye:

That's an easy start.
Is that what it's come to? It's never been a reach to despise UNC, Duke, or UVA. I have to go with a letter? And I like friggin Izzo!!!!

Penn State is a potentially strong rival with decent geographic proximity.

You will find Michigan and Ohio State fans surprisingly easy to root against.

Wisconsin plays football and basketball like it's 1959, for better or for worse.

Michigan State spends so much time fighting as the ignored little brother of Michigan to work up hatred for anyone else.

Illinois has an extraordinary history of underachievement.

It takes five Indiana basketball fans to change a light bulb; one to change the bulb, and the other four to brag about how good they were at it in the 1970s.

Purdue is pretty much Michigan State Lite, only they are jealous of Indiana.

Minnesota is pretty much harmless; Minnesota's basketball arena is old and weird and worth a couple baskets of HCA, but the fan base would rather win the hockey title than basketball.

IOWA = Idiots Out Walking Around.

Northwestern is almost as smug as Duke about academics, but their basketball players lack the talent and punchable faces of the Durham basketballers.

John Broward ‏@ACCRecruitingXP

More unc NCAA violations involving Dexter Strickland, Danny Green,Hairston, John Henson, &Leslie McDonald to be revealed this week. @NCAA

A simple traffic violation search has revealed numerous violations involving impermissible benefits (vehicles) for unc basketball players.

Dexter Strickland has multiple traffic violations in the car of semi-pro basketball player /agent affiliate Rashaan Barner while at unc.

All information obtained through basic court record search in NC, VA, SC & Florida. @unccompliance

Wayne Walden finally being mentioned by the National press. Still no interview from the mystery man now in seclusion in Texas. #Whereswayne

UNC-CHeat :bye:
Wow thanks I wasn't aware of all of this.

That's an easy start.

Penn State is a potentially strong rival with decent geographic proximity.

You will find Michigan and Ohio State fans surprisingly easy to root against.

Wisconsin plays football and basketball like it's 1959, for better or for worse.

Michigan State spends so much time fighting as the ignored little brother of Michigan to work up hatred for anyone else.

Illinois has an extraordinary history of underachievement.

It takes five Indiana basketball fans to change a light bulb; one to change the bulb, and the other four to brag about how good they were at it in the 1970s.

Purdue is pretty much Michigan State Lite, only they are jealous of Indiana.

Minnesota is pretty much harmless; Minnesota's basketball arena is old and weird and worth a couple baskets of HCA, but the fan base would rather win the hockey title than basketball.

IOWA = Idiots Out Walking Around.

Northwestern is almost as smug as Duke about academics, but their basketball players lack the talent and punchable faces of the Durham basketballers.
Penn State is the easiest because they beat MD in football like 31 years in a row. Fridge tried to renew the "rivalry" in the early aughts, but Paterno wanted 2 games at home for every one in College Park and Fridge told him to pound sand.

Hoops is gonna be tougher.

Yeah, now it will be H and H every year in the division and with Franklin's history at UMD, I think it will be come a good rivalry.

From the "I'm not shocked at all department" Hood and Warren are making the ACC proud tearing up the NBA summer league...while PJ Hairston clearly shoots guns better than the does baskets :lmao:

Was just in Vegas... Put down a futures bet on UNC to win it all at 12/1. Decent odds, I like what they're working with this year.

Was just in Vegas... Put down a futures bet on UNC to win it all at 12/1. Decent odds, I like what they're working with this year.
I agree they have a lot of very good talent but aren't worried about the potential death penalty coming down from the NCAA for all the cheating that has been discovered over the last 2 decades??

Great news for Duke fans, Jahil Okafor has really done amazing things with his conditioning. Check out this recent picture of him

https://31.media.tumblr.com/ffb202799e90733175d2ec742c0810e1/tumblr_n8s6lqBGFG1qdo25go1_400.png

Not sure what the amount of weight loss has been, but it looks pretty dramatic. I believe he's going to be first team all conference and possibly one of the best players in the conference along with Paige.
Jabari could have benefited from this regimen.

I agree they have a lot of very good talent but aren't worried about the potential death penalty coming down from the NCAA for all the cheating that has been discovered over the last 2 decades??
I don't think they are close to a death penalty... The latest allegations are from possibly the most unreliable source out there. Maybe they eventually receive sanctions, but I don't think it'll be in 2014... If it is :hot: :kicksrock:

oso diablo said:
Great news for Duke fans, Jahil Okafor has really done amazing things with his conditioning. Check out this recent picture of him

https://31.media.tumblr.com/ffb202799e90733175d2ec742c0810e1/tumblr_n8s6lqBGFG1qdo25go1_400.png

Not sure what the amount of weight loss has been, but it looks pretty dramatic. I believe he's going to be first team all conference and possibly one of the best players in the conference along with Paige.
Jabari could have benefited from this regimen.
I agree. Will be interesting to see if he gets in better shape now that it's a full time job.

I'm loving the work Meeks has put in this summer. The amount of weight he's lost and his conditioning is very impressive. I hope that translates to production on the court.

Is Meeks putting in the work in the class room too? Or maybe I should ask, does he go to real classes? :lol:

Hoops is gonna be tougher.
Just ask me what you should think. I can walk you through this. Gophers season tickets every year since I was born. You might even like it here.
So you're a Golden Gopher fan? I know you are from Minnesota, but for some reason I thought you were a Mizzou guy.
100% Gophers
Well...I hope you take better care of your teeth than this Golden fan.

Users who are viewing this thread