What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody use Uber or Lyft ridesharing? (1 Viewer)

dhockster

Footballguy
What are your thoughts? I live in Houston and it has been here for several months, but has not been licensed with the City yet. They seem to be getting great feedback from people who use them.

They are pretty good in Denver - in fact I used it for a ride to airport in a nice Suburban once - the guy gave me his card and now I get it for $15 less than the cost on Uber. Really nice guy - always helpful. Even a last minute pickup in the snow on a return trip that got delayed a couple of times was fantastic.

use uber about once every other week in Seattle, and I used it when I visited Minneapolis.

Very helpful when you're so drunk you don't know where you are.

I live in So Cal..use Uber all the time....great alternative to a cab. It is more expensive that it used to be but still about 1/2 the price of a cab.

I will say the pickup at night when the bars close is insane - the 2 times I tried it was nearly impossible to get thru the app once- and another time the price was way out there. Took light rail into core of downtown denver and grabbed a cab

I use Lyft and Uber regularly in Denver. It is a great service that usually costs about half the price of a cab. All of your payment information is saved in the app, so paying is as easy as hitting a button on your phone. It also tracks the location of your driver on GPS, so you know exactly when the driver will arrive. I never take cabs anymore. I've also found that the drivers are generally pretty cool with far better chat than your typical cab driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently they lowered the price on the lowest end option - uberX - to supposedly be less than the cost of a cab in NYC. Pretty big move.

Uber is amazing. Clean cars, nice drivers and reasonable fares. The complete opposite of taxis. I was also blown away by how many drivers there are out there and how quick you can get a ride.

Agree with all the positive comments for Uber, big fan. I travel a bunch for work and in towns other than NYC it is hands down better than traditional taxis. They do jack the prices if it is raining or very busy for some other reason but you see that before you commit.

About the only complaint I have is it can occasionally be a pain connecting with the driver on where to pick you up.

Never tried Lfyt.

Über all the time... Great service, but you're def paying a premium.

Just like you rate the drivers on Uber, they rate the passengers. The driver knows how reliable you are before accepting the ride.

Just like you rate the drivers on Uber, they rate the passengers. The driver knows how reliable you are before accepting the ride.
Uber is much cheaper than taxi's in the two major markets I've used them (DC, SF).

I don't know about other major cities, but cab companies are punching back in Philly, with their own versions of Uber-like apps now out on the market advertising normal cab pricing without the burst pricing model Uber uses: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Catch-a-Philly-Taxi-With-a-New-App--268891101.html
This is how it should work. Cabs in Seattle tend to be ####. The dispatchers are rude, don't tell you when the cab is coming, run late, etc.

They tried to get Uber kicked out of town under the premise that it was unsafe. Didn't really work so they now have to improve their service. They are supposedly developing a similar feature to this Philly example you are talking about.

Uber is much cheaper than taxi's in the two major markets I've used them (DC, SF).
I'm in SF and agree. Add Scottsdale as well. We took a cab from Phoenix airport to Scottsdale and it was $70. We Ubered when going back to the airport it was $35.

Uber will always have the cabs beat so long as the taxis continue to smell like dog #### vs. Uber drivers using their own cars, and also the fact that Uber drivers don't accept tips. Makes the whole process so easy.

Über drivers almost make the equivalent to minimum wage.
I think a vast majority of them drive in their spare time for a little extra income. My wife always strikes up conversations with our drivers and almost all have day jobs.
I am seriously considering it. With my wife unable to work money is always tight. Been thinking about taking a few shifts a week. I used to drive cabs so I have some experience.

I don't know about other major cities, but cab companies are punching back in Philly, with their own versions of Uber-like apps now out on the market advertising normal cab pricing without the burst pricing model Uber uses: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Catch-a-Philly-Taxi-With-a-New-App--268891101.html
This is how it should work. Cabs in Seattle tend to be ####. The dispatchers are rude, don't tell you when the cab is coming, run late, etc.

They tried to get Uber kicked out of town under the premise that it was unsafe. Didn't really work so they now have to improve their service. They are supposedly developing a similar feature to this Philly example you are talking about.
Sounds exactly like Memphis... on ALL fronts.

Memphis is currently in the "try to get them kicked out as "unsafe"" kick including leveraging cronyism to get a significantly understaffed MPD (by 20% and growing) to create a "task force" to ticket/impound/fine rideshare drivers in the name of "public safety". GDB corrupt #### like that.

Meanwhile the Yellow Cab of memphis has released a turd of an app they're touting as "comparable" (shares none of the features that make uber/lyft great).

I think a vast majority of them drive in their spare time for a little extra income. My wife always strikes up conversations with our drivers and almost all have day jobs.
I am seriously considering it. With my wife unable to work money is always tight. Been thinking about taking a few shifts a week. I used to drive cabs so I have some experience.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-you-earn-as-an-uber-driver-2014-6Part-time appears to be the way to go

Sounds exactly like Memphis... on ALL fronts.

Memphis is currently in the "try to get them kicked out as "unsafe"" kick including leveraging cronyism to get a significantly understaffed MPD (by 20% and growing) to create a "task force" to ticket/impound/fine rideshare drivers in the name of "public safety". GDB corrupt #### like that.

Meanwhile the Yellow Cab of memphis has released a turd of an app they're touting as "comparable" (shares none of the features that make uber/lyft great).
There's been some pushback here but the cab companies just went through a whole issue looking crap in public so the Commission is not exactly in any rush to accommodate them.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-you-earn-as-an-uber-driver-2014-6Part-time appears to be the way to go
I was thinking part time. A few hours Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Maybe a longer shift on Saturday. Based on that maybe I should just go Thurs-Sat.

I got talking to one of the Uber drivers who also had his cab license. He drove a Yellow Cab one day a year to keep the license active but drove his own car the rest of the time for Uber. Guy said that he was able to do stuff with his family and work around his schedule which he couldn't do with Yellow cab. He knew the places and times to get regular fares. Sat around the coffee shops in those areas and just had his phone handy.

I got talking to one of the Uber drivers who also had his cab license. He drove a Yellow Cab one day a year to keep the license active but drove his own car the rest of the time for Uber. Guy said that he was able to do stuff with his family and work around his schedule which he couldn't do with Yellow cab. He knew the places and times to get regular fares. Sat around the coffee shops in those areas and just had his phone handy.
I worked for Yellow. I found it pretty flexible.As long as I paid for my cab no one cared. I got one day a week I didn't have to pay for. A lot of guys worked the free day. I stayed home. On days I drove I would start early 6:30 or so and be off the road by 10 am. Take a break until about 4 and go until 11 Pm or so. I did that 5-6 days a week, If I had a really good day and could cover an extra days cab fee I'd take an extra day off. And I had some good days. Took a guy from the Charlotte Bus Station to Charleston on a negotiated fare. I made quite a bit on that drive. Several hundred dollars. Made him pay in advance and I put the money in the bank before we left town.

I'm in DC, and it's great. DC cabs generally aren't too bad if you're in a crowded area, but calling dispatchers and waiting is hit-or-miss.

used once in KC and it was the slickest experience with getting transportation I've ever had.

Thanks guys, for all your feedback. I have actually been driving for Uber for about a month and have really enjoyed it. I work during the week and have a family so right now I am just driving about one weekend night a week. To the person

who said Uber drivers are working for minimum wage, I have been averaging about $15-$20 per hour. Uber also helps during busy times by offering minimun hourly rates. If your fares during those time don't equal the minimum hourly rate they bump your pay up, to match the minimum rate. Since I am driving either Friday or Saturday night I am picking up mostly people in their 20's going to and from clubs. They seem to love Uber and a couple have said that they use Uber because they have gotten DWI's and don't want to go through that again. Others have said they are using Uber where they would not have used a cab because Uber is much more reliable. So I think the ridesharing is helping public safety by getting more people who drink on weekends to not drive.

I left out the fact that I drive for Uber from my original post because I wanted an unbiased opinion on what people think of them. I was not trying to be shady.

:hifive: This is a big deal in New Orleans.

We have a long history of crappy and corrupt taxi services. One thing is that we have a limited number of taxi licenses, and these get bought up by a few connected businessmen, and dealt around like they were gold bars.

So the current mayor like past mayors has made a big deal of "reforming" the taxi industry here, yadayadayada, on and on, our taxi commissioner just got fired for basically beating and pepper spraying taxi drivers and tour operators. But of course he doesn't reform the problem with the licenses, because you know there's gold in them things and certain people contribute.

Out of all this corruption emerges.... Uber!!!! People here are thrileld, and it has been a major, major struggle getting it through the City Council, but some form of it I believe is going to be rolled out. I am really looking forward to it, it could also help us change at least this facet of our political culture. It goes right over the heads of all these little tinpot dictators running the taxi industry here.

dhockster said:
Thanks guys, for all your feedback. I have actually been driving for Uber for about a month and have really enjoyed it. I work during the week and have a family so right now I am just driving about one weekend night a week. To the person

who said Uber drivers are working for minimum wage, I have been averaging about $15-$20 per hour. Uber also helps during busy times by offering minimun hourly rates. If your fares during those time don't equal the minimum hourly rate they bump your pay up, to match the minimum rate. Since I am driving either Friday or Saturday night I am picking up mostly people in their 20's going to and from clubs. They seem to love Uber and a couple have said that they use Uber because they have gotten DWI's and don't want to go through that again. Others have said they are using Uber where they would not have used a cab because Uber is much more reliable. So I think the ridesharing is helping public safety by getting more people who drink on weekends to not drive.

I left out the fact that I drive for Uber from my original post because I wanted an unbiased opinion on what people think of them. I was not trying to be shady.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I live right around the corner from a trendy bar area in Memphis and I was thinking of doing this on Friday and Saturday nights.

I've used Uber here in the Cincinnati area multiple times. Never personally had a bad experience with it, nor have my friends who have used it. Love it compared to dealing with cabbies.

dhockster said:

I've used it in both Houston and Austin and love it. Its just awesome and so convenient.

Have you gotten a ticket yet (for not being licensed)? If you do, does Uber pay for that?

dhockster said:

I've used it in both Houston and Austin and love it. Its just awesome and so convenient.

Have you gotten a ticket yet (for not being licensed)? If you do, does Uber pay for that?
I have not gotten a ticket yet, and Uber says they have gotten all tickets thrown out in court. If it wasn't thrown out they said they would pay for it.

dhockster said:

This is exactly what I was looking for. I live right around the corner from a trendy bar area in Memphis and I was thinking of doing this on Friday and Saturday nights.
You would kill it in the Overton Square area on weekends.

dhockster said:

You would kill it in the Overton Square area on weekends.
Bingo. Could probably pull some from Cooper Young, too.

Signed up for Lyft since they apparently allow my mid 2000s Saturn to be used.

Practice ride with a "Lyft Guide" tomorrow. I'm out of town this weekend, so if I make the grade, I start next Saturday night (guests in town next Friday night).

:unsure:

Eager to hear the experiences you guys have on the driving side. I couldn't do it (vehicle not suitable :lol: ) but curious how it goes.

Practice ride with a "Lyft Guide" tomorrow. I'm out of town this weekend, so if I make the grade, I start next Saturday night (guests in town next Friday night).

Good luck. I am in the process of getting all my info into Uber.
You too. If this works out, it's ingenious. Get in good with some of the bars and restaurants in your territory so they can refer people to you (or at the very least the Lyft app).

icon> If you ever get into this, just stay off of my "turf" (Overton Square/Cooper-Young). :gang1:

Good luck. I am in the process of getting all my info into Uber.
You too. If this works out, it's ingenious. Get in good with some of the bars and restaurants in your territory so they can refer people to you (or at the very least the Lyft app).

icon> If you ever get into this, just stay off of my "turf" (Overton Square/Cooper-Young). :gang1:
I have been told it takes about 2 weeks for Uber to process everything but I am not sure if it will. They seem to really be in need of drivers. I already have an email conversation going with the local community manager.

Users who are viewing this thread