What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So I come home from vacation to discover.... (1 Viewer)

Rayderr

Footballguy
That my office is shutting down in 2 weeks (on my birthday) and that I'll be out of a job.

FML

Moving back to the DMV or going to try to find something there?
Really want to stay here in Ohio. My wife and I love it. 2 year is a bit vague on her opinion. Neither of us want to move back to DC. But, jobs in my field are limited here and more plentiful there. That's really the more crappy part. That I may have to leave here.

Sorry to hear about that. At least you will have some money to hold you over until unemployment kicks in. You should be OK until you find a new job. Sometimes these things works out for the best. Don't be in too much of a rush and take a bad job.

Sorry to hear. The unknown is scary but 8 weeks is a hell of a jump start on finding a new gig, silver lining and all.

Good luck FBG brethren.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Been unemployed before (granted that was like 15 years ago) but now I have a wife (stay at hime mom) and 2 year old. It scares me ####less that I have 2 people to provide for and soon won't have a way to do it.

Moving back to the DMV or going to try to find something there?
Really want to stay here in Ohio. My wife and I love it. 2 year is a bit vague on her opinion. Neither of us want to move back to DC. But, jobs in my field are limited here and more plentiful there. That's really the more crappy part. That I may have to leave here.
The work is what keeps me in the DMV. I hate the traffic and how overpriced everything is but if my company goes belly up on morning, I can have another job before lunch that day.

I think once I'm more settled in, I'll move to a 100% remote scenario where I just go downtown for meetings, etc.

Good luck.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Been unemployed before (granted that was like 15 years ago) but now I have a wife (stay at hime mom) and 2 year old. It scares me ####less that I have 2 people to provide for and soon won't have a way to do it.
My biggest fear as well. but with 3 kids and SAHM.

Good luck to you.

Sorry to hear that, man.

Could you pick up some indy wrestling dates or a New Japan tour to help make ends meet?

Telling the wife last night was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

But a little glimmer of good news is that our boss is convinced that we'll go past the 15th now. He had vacation scheduled during that time and corporate told him to go ahead and take it. Odds are they most likely wouldn't do that because he is the boss and would need to be here for the shutdown.

Also, all 6 offices are going to be closing over the next year and a half or so (we were actually supposed to be last, but the braintrust that is the DoD decided we should be first.) We were the busiest office. They tried shifting the workload to the other offices and they couldn't handle it. So we're back to our normal workload.

Does DoD contract out all of their telecommunications work? Is a fed job a possibility in your field? If you're at a time in your life that you're mostly concerned about job security, that might be the route to go. You'd likely take a pay cut, though.

Does DoD contract out all of their telecommunications work? Is a fed job a possibility in your field? If you're at a time in your life that you're mostly concerned about job security, that might be the route to go. You'd likely take a pay cut, though.
I tried for years to get a gov't job. Not very easy to get unfortunately.

As far as the contracting out, well, that's the thing, they're going to a government owned (and apparently run) system, and trying to get off the current contractor one. They blew $50mil 10 years ago trying to develop a replacement that was a colossal failure. They spent even more to have another company build them a new system, which is over budget and behind schedule, and according to the current people using that system, is problematic as hell. The gov't people are going to be running it are just IT people who have no experience in the field and of course still have to do their normal workload. Obviously if a position opens up over there (via someone leaving or creating new positions) I'll obviously go for it. But as it is, that department has no plans to even backfill positions that are vacated with a wave of upcoming retirements.

Sorry to hear that, GB. Like shady said, getting laid off ended up being the best thing that happened to me. It took a while for me to realize it, but it'll work out for you in the end.

Best of luck to you. Sometimes it ends up for the better.

#1. I hope you have savings.

#2. Cut out every unnecessary expense.

#3. Start loooking for part time work for your wife.

#4. Making finding a full time job for you, your full time job. Follow every lead, polish your interviewing skills

Now, some of this may not be necessary if you have big savings in the bank. But always assume it may be a while before you find the right position.

So this is my story (I started a thread here as well) from when I was laid off 4 yrs ago in a similar situation as you (wife & a 6 month old baby with a mortgage to pay). This is not meant as a bragging post only as inspiration.

So basically I was very depressed. I got 8 weeks of severance as well. I was out of work for 6 months total. In the 6 months I watched my son every day but also busted my ### networking, talking to mentors, sending out applications, taking actuarial exams etc. I only went on one interview in 2 months when a former co-worker of mine called me about an opening in the company his wife worked for. 4 months later I was hired. I worked in underwriting for 3 years when one of my co-workers/friends in actuarial hired me in his department. Not only do I have a GREAT job now but I make a TON of money in a role I am MUCH happier in and I have MANY new friends including my boss!

Getting laid off was the best thing that ever happened to me, I just didnt know it at the time. I wish I didnt spend that 6 months depressed the whole time.

I tried for years to get a gov't job. Not very easy to get unfortunately.

As far as the contracting out, well, that's the thing, they're going to a government owned (and apparently run) system, and trying to get off the current contractor one. They blew $50mil 10 years ago trying to develop a replacement that was a colossal failure. They spent even more to have another company build them a new system, which is over budget and behind schedule, and according to the current people using that system, is problematic as hell. The gov't people are going to be running it are just IT people who have no experience in the field and of course still have to do their normal workload. Obviously if a position opens up over there (via someone leaving or creating new positions) I'll obviously go for it. But as it is, that department has no plans to even backfill positions that are vacated with a wave of upcoming retirements.
Not sure if this would be a good fit or not (duties, pay, etc), but it does have OH as one of the possible locations. Not a lot out there in the 0390/0391/0392 series. Not sure those are the right series for you or not. Those are just the "telecommunications" ones that popped up in USAJobs. What job series would you apply for with the feds?

But, yeah, it can be tough to get your foot in the door with a government agency, especially at higher levels. I'm sure you can put together a good resume and answer all the right questions, but that doesn't go very far when a manager already has someone in mind. Hopefully a few of your DoD colleagues are willing to put in a good word for you, especially if they know anyone hiring. Or, with your whole office shutting down, obviously you should have some good connections going different places in the upcoming months. If one of you catches on somewhere, that person can bring some others with them...assuming you work well together and like each other.

Sorry to hear that, man.

Could you pick up some indy wrestling dates or a New Japan tour to help make ends meet?
Retired several years ago. Back couldn't take it anymore.
^ If HBK thought like that the world would have been deprived of several more years of five star matches.Thesz wrestled into his seventies. You got one more big match left in you.

I had the very same thing happen to me 4 years ago and all I can tell you is best of luck, keep your head up and think positive.Something will open up for you if you remain focused and never give up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Rayder, look at it as an opportunity to find a job you love.

I'm on the other end of this, need to lay off 5 people tomorrow, three of whom have worked here over 15 years. It's going to be awful. They're hard workers who for a variety of reasons will be very hard pressed to find similar opportunities elsewhere. I feel sick today having regular meetings and interactions with them knowing that tomorrow they'll be blindsided with this. I honestly wish I was getting let go as I've been kind of going through the motions in a job I don't particularly like for way too long.

Good luck. Just took out a tldr detailing my past experiences with this. Suffice to say, I've been there. Keep at it, do what you need to do to keep treading water and your talent will eventually win the day for you.

GL Rayderr!

Sorry to hear. The unknown is scary but 8 weeks is a hell of a jump start on finding a new gig, silver lining and all.

Good luck FBG brethren.
This. Ohio is a beautiful State--good luck!
it's among the top 50 for sure.
Which seven do you find worse? MaxThreshold, on 28 May 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:I'm 98% sure you don't get a new warranty with a replacement product. The warranty starts from the purchase date of the original product. It doesn't start over with a replacement.

Have a phone interview this afternoon. Found a listing for an engineer job back on Tuesday and sent of my resume on a bit of whim as it's one of those kitchen sink listings so I wasn't sure if I was qualified enough for it.

Run and maintain VTC equipment? Check

Run and maintain TV studio equipment? Check

Repair solar panels? Ch...wait. What? Is this really part of the job duties or are you just having issues with the panels you installed at your house?

Headhunters have apparently approached many of my coworkers about the job the last couple days (which reminds me to make my resume public on careerbuilder again). But apparently I'm the only one that the actual hiring manager for the company has scheduled an interview with. It's on the same installation I'm working now so no change in commute if I'm lucky enough to get it.

Not sure if it's "better" than my current job other than the fact that it'll last longer. I actually enjoy my current job. Like my hours (6-2), it's a relatively easy job and gives me plenty of time to argue here in the FFA and play Candy Crush (one of those weird jobs where you have less work if you actually do the work.) get to wear T-shirt and jeans to work. Pay and benefits are good.

Anyways, wish me luck.

GL Rayderr!

Good luck FBG brethren.
Which seven do you find worse? MaxThreshold, on 28 May 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:I'm 98% sure you don't get a new warranty with a replacement product. The warranty starts from the purchase date of the original product. It doesn't start over with a replacement.

WTF?

Have a phone interview this afternoon. Found a listing for an engineer job back on Tuesday and sent of my resume on a bit of whim as it's one of those kitchen sink listings so I wasn't sure if I was qualified enough for it.

Run and maintain VTC equipment? Check

Run and maintain TV studio equipment? Check

Repair solar panels? Ch...wait. What? Is this really part of the job duties or are you just having issues with the panels you installed at your house?

Headhunters have apparently approached many of my coworkers about the job the last couple days (which reminds me to make my resume public on careerbuilder again). But apparently I'm the only one that the actual hiring manager for the company has scheduled an interview with. It's on the same installation I'm working now so no change in commute if I'm lucky enough to get it.

Not sure if it's "better" than my current job other than the fact that it'll last longer. I actually enjoy my current job. Like my hours (6-2), it's a relatively easy job and gives me plenty of time to argue here in the FFA and play Candy Crush (one of those weird jobs where you have less work if you actually do the work.) get to wear T-shirt and jeans to work. Pay and benefits are good.

Anyways, wish me luck.
This actually does sound totally awesome. :jealous:

Gl.

GL Rayderr!

Good luck FBG brethren.

WTF?
I posted from my iPhone. I only typed the unbolded part. I have no idea where the other stuff came from. I remember the warranty discussion, but that was months ago and there is no way it was in my memory. I am shucked.

Users who are viewing this thread