What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need 1 suit - where to go? (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
I need a suit. I want a decent suit but don't want to break the bank. Weddings, funerals, 1-2 times a year for very formal work conferences and other functions. I'd like a gray suit.

I have all the big box dept stores (Macys, JC Penneys, Lord and Taylor) and several men's stores around (Jos A Banks, John Chicos, Brooks Bros, Men's Warehouse).

Would like to keep it under 800 if possible. TIA.

Brooks Brothers Navy Blue is likely your choice for a single go to suit and willing to spend up to $800 but gray is not out of the question.

Nordstrom Rack has pretty good deals on Hugo Boss as well. If you hit the sale right you can keep it under 500.

Brooks Brothers has nice suits... They offer deals if you buy two, so if you could find a friend who also needs a suit, you can def stay under 800 and get a high quality suit.

The department store sales are often pretty good deals and they'll put name band suits on sale. If your budget is 800, you might be able to get 2 decent-good suits or just stock up on different color ties and dress shirts.

Nordstrom Rack has pretty good deals on Hugo Boss as well. If you hit the sale right you can keep it under 500.
That's a great deal.

This will sound a little NTTAWWT, but I've been buying Michael Kors suits exclusively for the last 6-8 year. I usually pay around $300-400 at a local discount department store, Century 21, and then take them to my local tailor to get fitted. Great quality, comfortable, durable, looks sharp. I haven't heard a lot of guys talk up MK but I really like them. Prior to that I was paying 2-3x that for custom suits.

I don't know size. I'd need some help on that front.
They'll measure you for free.
Can you buy off the rack or should I expect to need tailoring?I'm 6ft and about 210. A little pudgy up top.
You'll want to know your chest and waist to begin with when picking a suit off the rack. Most suits have a 6" drop (delta between chest and waist). If you are a broader shoulder guy, you'll want an athletic suit which is more typically an 8" drop. This will cut down slightly on the tailoring costs. Things like hemming the trousers and sleeves are pretty cheap, but if they have to do major work to take in the waist on your coat that can get pricey. A couple of darts (drawing the material together in the back) is reasonable but if they have to start to cut and re-sew, expect your tailoring to go up considerably. I have a 9-10" drop and even buying an athletically cut suit, I usually end up paying pretty steeply for the tailor.

What does the house think about the color of suit for the wearer that keeps only one suit on hand?

Navy seems like a great choice, except when people mention the "for funerals" part. I know that in 2014, tons of people dress down and just wearing any suit at all to a funeral puts you ahead of a lot of guys. But I always want a black suit for funerals, personally. I feel like charcoal suits are also fine for funerals and offer more gerneral-wear options, as well.

For a long time, I had a two-suit thing going -- navy and black. The navy one is now too small and way out of style, so I'm wearing the black suit to every suit-wearing function. Get a lot of compliments, and I take care to avoid pairing it with a white shirt when not attending a funeral. Still ... kinda wish it was charcoal sometimes now that I don't have the navy go-to anymore.

I honestly don't know how much quality you can find here stateside, but every time I'm visiting family in Thailand, my cousins take me to their tailor and I get a few custom made suits. The guy does an awesome job, and it's way under $800. I have a mix of a few name-brand suits, and a few custom ones. The custom ones are my go-to more often than not.

Also, FWIW -

An average suit that is properly tailored to fit you >>> A fancy name brand suit that doesn't fit right...

Saks Off Fifth / .com

YWIA

great selection. Time their by one get one free sale and get two great suits (ie Hickey Feeeman, brown label) for 800.

What does the house think about the color of suit for the wearer that keeps only one suit on hand?

Navy seems like a great choice, except when people mention the "for funerals" part. I know that in 2014, tons of people dress down and just wearing any suit at all to a funeral puts you ahead of a lot of guys. But I always want a black suit for funerals, personally. I feel like charcoal suits are also fine for funerals and offer more gerneral-wear options, as well.

For a long time, I had a two-suit thing going -- navy and black. The navy one is now too small and way out of style, so I'm wearing the black suit to every suit-wearing function. Get a lot of compliments, and I take care to avoid pairing it with a white shirt when not attending a funeral. Still ... kinda wish it was charcoal sometimes now that I don't have the navy go-to anymore.
My 3 go-to's are navy, black and a nice tan one. I wear the navy probably 3 out of 5 times. The black one for funerals and very formal occasions (almost tux territory). The tan one is almost exclusively for outdoor occasions (beach weddings, etc).

The department store sales are often pretty good deals and they'll put name band suits on sale. If your budget is 800, you might be able to get 2 decent-good suits or just stock up on different color ties and dress shirts.
I got one at Macy's for $250 or so after all sorts of coupons and crap.

Also, FWIW -

An average suit that is properly tailored to fit you >>> A fancy name brand suit that doesn't fit right...
:goodposting:

And an average suit with a quality shirt, tie, belt, and shoes >>> a fancy suit and lesser quality accessories.

Buy a good blue suit and get decent stuff to wear with it. I've always like JC Penney, but given your size, just be sure to pick a place that will tailor the suit as needed.

Also, FWIW -

:goodposting:

And an average suit with a quality shirt, tie, belt, and shoes >>> a fancy suit and lesser quality accessories.

Buy a good blue suit and get decent stuff to wear with it. I've always like JC Penney, but given your size, just be sure to pick a place that will tailor the suit as needed.
saks off fifth - Two $1600 suits - $795 (for both). half price cole haans, 100 or so. 2 nice shirts, 100 more

you can get nice looking ties anywhere.

1 grand and you are set. knock 300 off for a pair of good, not great, suits

If you're only going to have one suit, I'd go black. Its really rare that you'd need a suit for a daytime outdoor event - pretty much the only time it would be out of place.

I got one at Macy's for $250 or so after all sorts of coupons and crap.
Macy's sale with coupons and a preferred customer card can be an amazing value - the card gives free tailoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to have it in hand by this Friday morning so online is out of the question.

I can go Nordstroms, Penny's, Macys or Brooks.

I don't know size. I'd need some help on that front.
They'll measure you for free.
Can you buy off the rack or should I expect to need tailoring?I'm 6ft and about 210. A little pudgy up top.
You'll buy off the rack and then you'll have it tailored. Always get it tailored.
Good posting.

Spend the money and go to a good tailor. While you're at it, spend some good money on some top-flight shoes for the suit. Always looks weak to see someone in a good suit and the shoes look like the guy grabbed them from some homeless guy.

At Macy's last week I bought a Calvin Klein sportcoat for $119 and matching dress pants for $49 (black). These are their everyday prices so I'm sure you could go there right now and get the same. I took the sportcoat to a tailor ($90) and my wife hemmed the pants. So basically a custom fit suit for under $300.

I'd like to have it in hand by this Friday morning so online is out of the question.

I can go Nordstroms, Penny's, Macys or Brooks.
You better get something today and confirm ahead of time they can do a rush tailoring job on it. Expect to pay a premium on that.

At Macy's last week I bought a Calvin Klein sportcoat for $119 and matching dress pants for $49 (black). These are their everyday prices so I'm sure you could go there right now and get the same. I took the sportcoat to a tailor ($90) and my wife hemmed the pants. So basically a custom fit suit for under $300.
I have a Macy's suit I bought relatively inexpensively. It's not bad. It's not as nice as some suits but it's decent.

Can I get it off the rack today and tailored after the Friday event?
I brought mine to a tailor on a monday at lunch and he gave it back to me on wednesday at lunch. Macy's had some crazy 2 week wait. Obviously depends on what tailoring options you have.

I can't remember if they had the same sportcoat and pants in gray at Macy's, but I'm sure other dept stores have competitive options.

A lot of times, the suit pants are completely unfinished. If you really need something to wear for Friday, you're going to have to find something that has a finished pant. The jacket can be adjusted later...You may be able to find someone who can hem the pants in a day or two, but you're gonna pay for it. I needed a few pair of pants let out a few inches, and I had to wait 2 weeks. Tailoring ain't cheap or fast.

Fat Nick said:
mr roboto said:
A lot of times, the suit pants are completely unfinished. If you really need something to wear for Friday, you're going to have to find something that has a finished pant. The jacket can be adjusted later...You may be able to find someone who can hem the pants in a day or two, but you're gonna pay for it. I needed a few pair of pants let out a few inches, and I had to wait 2 weeks. Tailoring ain't cheap or fast.
Yeah - the pants are likely going to be very long and without any hem. That said, the hem is the easiest part of the tailoring. The jacket will depend on your body type - see my note above on drop.

Fat Nick said:
mr roboto said:
Fat Nick, I for one, am shocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to Nordstrom's. 700 suit, alterations free. Will be done by Thursday morning. And the tailor lady was HOT.

If you don't know where to buy a suit, chances are no one will be looking at you long enough for your suit selection to matter.

HTH.

If you don't know where to buy a suit, chances are no one will be looking at you long enough for your suit selection to matter.

HTH.
I probably get 2-3 comments a week on my suit(s). Often from folks who recognize the difference between an ok suit and a well constructed, well tailored one. If you have a limited budget and cant get a sick deal, a decent suit well tailored will do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread