What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cardinals OF Oscar Taveras dies in car accident (1 Viewer)

Michael Brown

Footballguy
I know it's been posted in four different places in the forum, but this is worthy of its own thread if for no other reason so that people see it. What a shame

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Just terrible. Watched him play A ball here and he was always really cool about signing stuff for the kids. So much potential.

Every time an active ballplayer dies, I have a flashback to Lyman Bostock. My older brother took me to Fenway to see the Angels. It was one of Bostock's last games before he was shot to death in a car a month later. He was a pretty good hitter. This Taveras news deeply saddens me.

Similar to the Brian Cole situation the Mets had to deal with years ago. Cards were building the whole team around this kid.

Think that makes 3 of the last 4 active player deaths being Cardinals

Kile, Hancock being the other two.

Nick Adenhart of the Angels would be the exception

It was an unique swing with a pronounced leg kick, natural upper cut and a violent follow through. It would have been fun to watch him figure out major league pitching and plug the holes in his swing. Alas and ####.
Another.

I remember being excited about bumping the Waiver Wire thread when he hit a bomb for his first ML hit just after getting called up.

It was an unique swing with a pronounced leg kick, natural upper cut and a violent follow through. It would have been fun to watch him figure out major league pitching and plug the holes in his swing. Alas and ####.
Another.

I remember being excited about bumping the Waiver Wire thread when he hit a bomb for his first ML hit just after getting called up.
...off of Yusmeiro Petit

I know it's not a lot of posts but I would like to commend the board for keeping the tone respectful and on topic. There are other places on the Internet and on this site where the thread would have devolved by now into speculation about the circumstances of his crash, the phenomenon of celebrity deaths, the baseball implications (real and fantasy) and sick jokes. There will surely be some of this later but right now it's too soon.

I know it's not a lot of posts but I would like to commend the board for keeping the tone respectful and on topic. There are other places on the Internet and on this site where the thread would have devolved by now into speculation about the circumstances of his crash, the phenomenon of celebrity deaths, the baseball implications (real and fantasy) and sick jokes. There will surely be some of this later but right now it's too soon.
Agree 100%. It's why I love all you nerds... good people.

Matheny:

"I was asked last night to give some words regarding the tragic death of Oscar Taveras, but I just simply couldn't.

"First of all, it felt like a bad dream that could not be real, and when reality kicked in, my words didn't even seem to make sense. To say this is a horrible loss of a life ended too soon would be an understatement. To talk about the potential of his abilities seemed to be untimely. All I wanted to do was get the guys together and be with our baseball family. I know the hurt that comes along with buying into the brotherhood of a baseball team. That hurt is just as powerful as the joys that come with this life. Not to say it is even close to the depth of pain his true family is going through, but the pain itself is just as real. The ache is deep because the relationships were deep, and forged through time and trials.
"To the many fans who have already reached out with condolences, and to the many more who are in mourning, thank you for taking these players in, like they are one of your own. This level of care is what sets our fans apart.
"In my opinion, the word 'love' is the most misused, and misunderstood word in the English language. It is not popular for men to use this word, and even less popular for athletes. But, there is not a more accurate word for how a group of men share a deep and genuine concern for each other. We loved Oscar, and he loved us. That is what a team does, that is what a family does. You will be missed, Oscar."

They were saying on the radio this morning that the tree they hit has killed "dozens" of people over the years, and locals have been begging for its removal. No alcohol, just some young people driving too fast in a backwards country. Ugh.

Agree 100%. It's why I love all you nerds... good people.
:thumbup: And well said Eeph

They were saying on the radio this morning that the tree they hit has killed "dozens" of people over the years, and locals have been begging for its removal. No alcohol, just some young people driving too fast in a backwards country. Ugh.
The Economist had an article up about how DR has the highest automobile fatality rate in the world. Given the fatality rate, they said it was surprising it has not happened to an MLB player before.

Maybe it's time for somebody to take a power saw down to the tree.

His blood-alcohol level was five times the legal limit at the time of the crash. Hard to feel sorry for him anymore. I'm just glad he didn't kill more people.

Young, rich and dumb has always been a bad combination.

His blood-alcohol level was five times the legal limit at the time of the crash. Hard to feel sorry for him anymore. I'm just glad he didn't kill more people.

Young, rich and dumb has always been a bad combination.
This is just at rumor stage at the moment, but alcohol abuse and misuse has no respect for age, money or intelligence.

.287? Jebus.
It would take around 18 drinks of 1.5 oz of liquor for a 210lb person to get to that level. So he pretty much consumed a liter of booze. At that stage I would assume he had zero self control about getting behind the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread