What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Foxcatcher (1 Viewer)

Looks really good. Thinking i may matinee it tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went last night. Fascinating story, really. My wife seemed to get a bit bored with it (but liked it), and I thought it was excellent. I'd highly recommend it.

I saw the premiere of Foxcatcher at the Telluride film festival earlier this year. I watched it in an outdoor park surrounded by mountains underneath the stars alongside Steve Carrell, Channing Tatum, and the director, who all spoke before the show. I really enjoyed the movie. It is a real slow burn and I fully expect that some people will say it is "boring," but it is one of those dark haunting movies that sticks with you for days, especially given that it is a true story. Steve Carrell gives a phenomenal performance and so do Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo for that matter. As long as you have the patience to sit through a long, dark movie with brilliant acting performances, I definitely recommend it.

I was doing my undergrad internship with the DA's office at the Media, PA courthouse during the trial. I spent many hours "goofing off" by slipping into the courtroom and watching. Carrell's eyes/stare in the previews I have seen is eerie.

I saw the premiere of Foxcatcher at the Telluride film festival earlier this year. I watched it in an outdoor park surrounded by mountains underneath the stars alongside Steve Carrell, Channing Tatum, and the director, who all spoke before the show. I really enjoyed the movie. It is a real slow burn and I fully expect that some people will say it is "boring," but it is one of those dark haunting movies that sticks with you for days, especially given that it is a true story. Steve Carrell gives a phenomenal performance and so do Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo for that matter. As long as you have the patience to sit through a long, dark movie with brilliant acting performances, I definitely recommend it.
Perfect descriptive of the movie Buckfast. I'm not normally one to let a movie occupy my mind once I walk out, but this one has. An example would be...

I was doing my undergrad internship with the DA's office at the Media, PA courthouse during the trial. I spent many hours "goofing off" by slipping into the courtroom and watching. Carrell's eyes/stare in the previews I have seen is eerie.
...catching a Youtube clip of Mark Schultz (the main character played by Channing Tatum) stating that he couldn't believe how well Carrell nailed the part of Du Pont, down to many of his manerisms.

:blackdot:

Really looking forward to this. Big fan of Carell. He's been good in some lesser known movies like Dan in Real Life and The Way Way Back but this definitely looks like a big leap forward for him. I love when comedy guys can transition to dramatic roles, like Robin Williams and Jim Carrey.

slight thumbs up. Some parts were great, but man some of it was really slow

slight thumbs up. Some parts were great, but man parts were really slow
:goodposting: I watched almost all of this the other day. Great acting all around. Steve Carrell's performance is so far removed from how we normally see him that you forget who he is.

But it is pretty damn slow. And for me to say that is really something.

The Steve Carrell and Channing Tatum sex scene was a little much for me.
Huh? I watched yesterday, don't remember seeing that.
Great movie, it's out on "the internet" since it's Oscars evaluation season and HD screeners of movies out now are coming onto the web.

Very dark, but I feel like that's the tone of the story anyways so it works. Carell was amazing in his portrayal of duPont, made you feel the creepiness of his persona. duPont was very commanding to the wrestlers, but bowed down to momma big time, whilst trying to gain her approval via participation in a "low" sport she disapproved. Thought the guy who played Dave Schultz was excellent as well, really helped to zone in a kind of aloof Mark Schultz (well played by Tatum) to how crazy duPont really was.

:lmao: at the sequence where the guy was paid off to throw the match so duPont could win, and was handed an envelope before even exiting the gym.

Good flick. As others have said its pretty dark.

Interesting to see Mark Schultz is not happy with the director, Bennett Miller, about the implication in the film of a sexual relationship between Mark and du Pont.

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/foxcatcher-wrestler-angrily-criticizes-director/?ref=movies
huh. I didn't think the movie implied a sexual relationship between them.
I can see how there were a couple of scenes that hinted at a relationship between the two of them that was not just friend/coach/father figure. But there was nothing overt.

Some interesting stuff:

Did John du Pont sexually abuse Mark and other wrestlers?

Even though it is only implied in the movie, Mark Schultz explains in his book that du Pont created a wrestling move called the "Foxcatcher Five," where one wrestler would grab another wrestler's #### with five fingers. Du Pont, who had also provided the funds for Villanova University to build an athletic arena and start a wrestling program in 1986, was let go two years later after facing charges of sexual abuse and other indiscretions. The program was dropped. One of those charges came from another Villanova coach, who said that he was fired because he had refused du Pont's homosexual advances. -Philadelphia Daily News

Was there a sexual relationship between Mark Schultz and John du Pont?No. At least one scene in the Foxcatcher movie suggests that a sexual relationship might have existed between Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) and his eccentric benefactor John du Pont (Steve Carell). After discovering that some critics were indeed interpreting the scene this way, the real Mark Schultz slammed the movie and its director. "Leaving the audience with a feeling that somehow there could have been a sexual relationship between du Pont and I is a sickening and insulting lie," Mark Schultz said via a December 2014 Facebook post. "I told Bennett Miller to cut that scene out and he said it was to give the audience the feeling that du Pont was encroaching on your privacy and personal space. I wasn't explicit so I didn't have a problem with it. Then after reading 3 or 4 reviews interpreting it sexually, and jeopardizing my legacy, they need to have a press conference to clear the air, or I will."

Part of the reason he is pissed off (apparently) is that (allegedly) DuPont was gay and would hit on/hook up with wrestlers.

I enjoyed the movie, but there is so much more to the story that they didn't cover that is more interesting to me than what they covered in the movie.

I don't know what really happened or not, but Schultz' opinionis that most of the stuff that happened inthe movie was either fabricated or exaggerated.

I just picked up Foxcatcher the book to see what his side of the story is.

re: the sexual relationship.

There was one scene where du pont and Mark were wrestling really late at night and Mark was lying on his stomach and Du Pont was kind of wrestling/dry humping him. I didn't think of that as a sexual relationship between the two of them, just the super creepy factor and weirdness of du Pont.
All three actors were really good, but I thought Mark Ruffalo's performance was the best of the three.

There was one scene where du pont and Mark were wrestling really late at night and Mark was lying on his stomach and Du Pont was kind of wrestling/dry humping him. I didn't think of that as a sexual relationship between the two of them, just the super creepy factor and weirdness of du Pont.
All three actors were really good, but I thought Mark Ruffalo's performance was the best of the three.
Agree with both.

Halfway through the book. Almost all backstory and a recap of their wrestling careers. Only one chapter on du Pont. Not even up to where the movie starts yet.

I saw this last night and liked it. The acting was understated and subtle but I enjoyed it more than most other over-dramatic and stylized Hollywood performances. It's definitely a slow story but I never felt bored.

There were certainly intentional gay undertones to the dupont character, and not just audience perception.

Watched the movie last night and just watched the ESPN 30 for 30. Put them together and it's a pretty amazing and sad story.

I just realized that this movie might be one of the reasons I liked Boyhood as much as I did. Pretty soon after renting but failing to get all the way through Foxcatcher, the wife and I tried out Boyhood and it almost felt like an action movie in comparison.

This clip sums up the pace of the movie. All of the dialog seems to move this slowly.

Good story, but, agree with others you will feel like it's 8 hours long at time.

I really liked Foxcatcher. Great acting all around. Also have the 30 for 30 on DVR and will watch at some point.

Fox Catcher was pretty good. I think it felt slow because of the way that Steve Carell delivered the lines and played the character. Everything seemed to be caluculated and thought out before anything was said. Maybe thats how the duPont was in real life, I have no idea.

Fox Catcher was pretty good. I think it felt slow because of the way that Steve Carell delivered the lines and played the character. Everything seemed to be caluculated and thought out before anything was said. Maybe thats how the duPont was in real life, I have no idea.
Watched some Youtube vids of the real duPont and Carell nailed his mannerisms.

His mannerisms of Dave Schultz were spot on, especially on the mat.

Watched some Youtube vids of the real duPont and Carell nailed his mannerisms. nose
The acting the way Mark Ruffalo held his arms was Oscar worthy. Serious arm acting.

http://www.cesarmiguelrondon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/mark-ruffalo-441.jpg

Watched some Youtube vids of the real duPont and Carell nailed his mannerisms. nose
The acting the way Mark Ruffalo held his arms was Oscar worthy. Serious arm acting.

http://www.cesarmiguelrondon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/mark-ruffalo-441.jpg
Also the way he slowly slinked around the mat and almost drug his toes on the ground.

I really didn't know much at all about this story until I just saw the 30 for 30 a couple days ago. Haven't seen this movie yet but probably will try to soon. Just from a few clips Carell looks like he should probably get some sort of award.

Many, if not just about all of Du Pont's craziness reminds me damn near exactly of a long time friend of mine who is schizophrenic. Super sad to the point where myself and most everyone was friends with him really can't even associate with him any more.

I'm not sure there's more than 3-4 actors working today better than Ruffalo and that number might be high. He's an amazing actor.

As far as the gay subtext, can't a gay subtext be found with nearly everything in wrestling? I'm not saying everyone in the sport is gay (NTTAWWT) but it isn't difficult to find something like that if you're looking. It's two guys nearly naked rolling around on the ground with each other. Pretty sure the ancient Greeks even wrestled in the nude.

Users who are viewing this thread