What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

motorcycle thread (1 Viewer)

cosjobs

Footballguy
I rode for about 20 years from junior high until i got married. Always loved it, owned all kinds of street bikes frumm a Honda 175 to a Goldwing Aspencade i used to tour the country.

I want to go back, but things really seem to have changed/progressed. I've never seen any motorcycle chat here, which is weird, considering the demgraphics.

First i need to decide what type. The new Indian Scott looks like it would be a blast to ride around here. Cruises in general seem to be like that. Something you look cool on and have fun, but not really for anything more than 100 miles at a stretch.

Always loved touring bikes and would love to do some more cross country travel, but they're pricey and a lot to lug around for cruising to the lake or a trip to the liquor store.

Now they have this new breed that are supposedly great tourers, but can be taken off road a bit. They seem cheaper and more versatile than the tourers but I've not ridden one yet. I think the Beemer 1200rs, moto guzzi and Ducati have some entries I'd like to investigate.

Who else here rides? Whatcha riding now?

Yeah I've been considering a classic ride. I'd LOVE to find a primo norton commando, but i fear maintenance and repairs. I'm looking for joy, not work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride a Indian Chieften. . I have not gone on any long rides yet, (More than 200 miles). Rides nice.

i have a kawasaki vulcan 500, which is small, but works for my needs. i have actually been thinking about selling, as i don't get to ride enough to really enjoy. i have had some worry creep in lately, there have been some fatal bike accidents around here. its not that i don't think i can ride effectively, but i am worried about all the distracted drivers simply missing me. i dont know anyone else here who rides and i haven't hooked up with a club. for me, riding means i need to be on the top of my game and is physically demanding. i am 25 minutes from work, but really don't want to take the 500 on the hwy and deal with it. plus, i carry my laptop with me, so i really need to ride empty handed. i would suggest used and taking a refresher motorcycle safety course.

There have been a few short lived threads here, but you're right...no real sustainable motorcycle talk that I've ever seen.

I've only been riding for 3 summers now, the first on a Kawi Vulcan 900 and the rest on a 2011 Road King Classic. I'm not loyal to HD, but when I was looking for a bigger bike, the Road Kings price tag when all was said and done was pretty comparable to other touring bikes once you added everything you "needed". Other brands after market parts were extremely limited compared to the Harleys and it made some of them pretty expensive.

That scout looks like a damn nice bike and I'll probably run over to the dealership and try one when the snow melts (I'm in MN)...but for me riding isn't about the rush or excitement or looking cool...it's about relaxing, being outdoors, letting go of the stresses of life, and have some range to explore. Love riding so much that sooner than later it's likely going to take me out of Minnesota and somewhere I can ride more months of the year and gives me more/new scenery to explore.

i always wanted a Triumph Bonnie or Scrambler
I ride 07 Triumph Bonnieville T-100. Best bike I've owned. Easy and fun to ride. Plus people love to talk about it when I'm out on a ride.
They are big up here in the bay area, and to be honest I've started to really look into getting one. The Ducati Hypermotard though looks like it would be a blast to ride and something I would never tire of.

i have a kawasaki vulcan 500, which is small, but works for my needs. i have actually been thinking about selling, as i don't get to ride enough to really enjoy. i have had some worry creep in lately, there have been some fatal bike accidents around here. its not that i don't think i can ride effectively, but i am worried about all the distracted drivers simply missing me. i dont know anyone else here who rides and i haven't hooked up with a club. for me, riding means i need to be on the top of my game and is physically demanding. i am 25 minutes from work, but really don't want to take the 500 on the hwy and deal with it. plus, i carry my laptop with me, so i really need to ride empty handed. i would suggest used and taking a refresher motorcycle safety course.
It's strange, but I actually feel safer on a bike than I do my mid-sized SUV. In a car I just have a tendency to zone out, fiddle with the radio or snack on food, and get frustrated with other idiot drivers...on a bike though I'm just happy to be outside, engaged in something, and too preoccupied with looking for idiots, road rage'rs, and texters looking for an accident to allow myself to get preoccupied with things.

That feeling didn't come full force though until I got a bigger bike. My vulcan 900 didn't feel powerful enough to get me out of trouble when someone veered into my lane. I don't know if it's the bigger bike, the confidence, or the improved riding skills that come with experience, but I've put 4x the miles on my harley than I did the Vulcan and I can't think of a single instance where someone didn't see me on the Harley and it was a fairly common thing on the Vulcan.

Had a bike for a few years and loved it. Had to sell it and I miss riding. Looking forward to getting another one someday.

I'm a big proponent of the MSF courses. Bets money I ever spent. :thumbup:

Yep I am definitely scared of getting a bike now that I have children. I see so many bad drivers out there.

I see you made your own thread Cos, very cool, maybe this one will get a little more traction.

My current ride is a 2013 Harley Road Glide. I wasn't a big Harley person growing up. My dad had a late 70's Honda that I tooled around on growing up, then he bought a 98 Valkyrie, which was awesome. Loved the power of that big engine. Rode that for a while. When it was time for me to buy my own bike I looked around and settled on the Harley. I love it, although the Honda was faster, maybe it's the noise and rumble of the Harley I like better. But I'm a cruiser, I like to just enjoy the ride, take my time and be comfortable getting there. I like the large size of it, like Jason said, having a large bike, drivers seem to respect them a little more. I've had a few times when people haven't seen or heard me, but I haven't had a problem since I modified my exhaust and now I can be heard a lot better. I do believe that loud pipes save lives.

I have a son and have taken him on many rides, and when he gets older I have no problem with him getting his own. I also believe riding a motorcycle makes you a better driver. You are more aware on a bike, and at least for me that carries over to when I'm driving, I don't look at my phone or allow myself to be distracted. Living in Seattle, yeah it rains a lot, but I still ride year round. I can't go the months without it. And I'll always have a bike now, I couldn't imagine not having one. It's my favorite part of the day, just relaxing and cruising.

Yeah I've been considering a classic ride. I'd LOVE to find a primo norton commando, but i fear maintenance and repairs. I'm looking for joy, not work.
Part of the joy for me is the work.....not completely rebuilding from the frame up, but taking something that needs a little love and making it shine again. Next up for me is probably buying a 1971 Yamaha AX 125 from my girlfriend's uncle and wrenching on that. I've found it's an awesome way for me to learn about my bike and just bikes in general.

Part of the joy for me is the work.....not completely rebuilding from the frame up, but taking something that needs a little love and making it shine again. Next up for me is probably buying an old Yamaha AX 125 from my girlfriend's uncle and wrenching on that. I've found it's an awesome way for me to learn about my bike and just bikes in general.
I remember going from a chain to shaft drive back in the day. The workload was hugely reduced and that was cool.

It can be zen-like fiddling with and tweaking a bike, but on this old fast as #### suzuki I had, If I didn't maintain, adjust, lube the chain 3-4 times a week it would wear down the sprocket yada yada. Even then, there might be 10-15 days I'm not sober enough to do the maintenance whether I enjoy it or not. I like having chores taken off my plate.

Do they even make bikes with chains anymore? seems like they're all bests or shafts.

I've got a '78 Honda CB550K that I cruise around the city in. Love that thing.
Got a pic? I love those bikes
No pics saved but it's pretty much exactly what's pictured here. Same color tank, but mine needs a polish to look that shiny again. Bike is in storage for the winter, I'll snap a few when spring rolls around.
That was a sweet bike and just the right size for blasting around town, commuting or a 100-200 mile road trip.

CGRdrJoe said:
Wooderson said:
Annyong said:
i always wanted a Triumph Bonnie or Scrambler
I ride 07 Triumph Bonnieville T-100. Best bike I've owned. Easy and fun to ride. Plus people love to talk about it when I'm out on a ride.
They are big up here in the bay area, and to be honest I've started to really look into getting one. The Ducati Hypermotard though looks like it would be a blast to ride and something I would never tire of.
The new Ducati Scrambler might be the next to add to my stable.Ducati

http://youtu.be/9Wp8BMRQENM

I have a highly modified 86 Honda CB1000 that I've been working on over the past 4 summers. I'm hoping to finish this summer.

I have a highly modified 86 Honda CB1000 that I've been working on over the past 4 summers. I'm hoping to finish this summer.
That was a great bike and worthy of your efforts. What direction are you going with it? Got pics? I'd love to see the transformation stages

Harleys.

Man they look great, but I really do not like the noise. I guess i do enjoy it myself, but i don't want to be the guy that wakes people up when coming or going from home, or makes you stop conversation when I ride by because you cannot hear.

They also lack the refined ride and handling of the *** and European brands. I do like they they are usa made, but cannot see myself ever paying the premium they command.

But they do ####### look wonderful

Harleys.

Man they look great, but I really do not like the noise. I guess i do enjoy it myself, but i don't want to be the guy that wakes people up when coming or going from home, or makes you stop conversation when I ride by because you cannot hear.

They also lack the refined ride and handling of the *** and European brands. I do like they they are usa made, but cannot see myself ever paying the premium they command.

But they do ####### look wonderful
A friend of mine bought this Harley about three months ago. It isn't quite as loud as your standard noisey Harley, but it isn't quiet.

That was a great bike and worthy of your efforts. What direction are you going with it? Got pics? I'd love to see the transformation stages
I went for a cafe racer vibe. I figured while everybody else has a 750 or less, why not make the fastest cafe on the genre? Answer is because cafés are generally more nimble and mine is a freight train. I had no idea what I was doing at first but learned a lot. Its been a fun process. I joined a few other forums and was able to finance most of the new parts by selling off the originals. The best parts were getting absolute steals on eBay.

Pain in the rear to post pics from my phone but here's a few before and after shots:

Before:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/pabdanyell/101_6613.jpg

I got her running for the first time:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/pabdanyell/1112110701.jpg

70% complete: http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/pabdanyell/Mobile%20Uploads/fb96b0dc-1b88-4304-9575-ce8b52d178c9_zpscdc59ab1.jpg

90% complete:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/pabdanyell/Mobile%20Uploads/ed888f3b-d3c8-4eed-9f48-785c26cfe618_zps0181a72a.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/pabdanyell/Mobile%20Uploads/2a122839-d2b5-42f7-baec-3b241dc4ecc9_zpsbec53e50.jpg

I went for a cafe racer vibe. I figured while everybody else has a 750 or less, why not make the fastest cafe on the genre? Answer is because cafés are generally more nimble and mine is a freight train. I had no idea what I was doing at first but learned a lot. Its been a fun process. I joined a few other forums and was able to finance most of the new parts by selling off the originals. The best parts were getting absolute steals on eBay.

Pain in the rear to post pics from my phone but here's a few before and after shots:

90% complete:
Very very nice. Great job. I've always loved cafe racer styling, but have always been a bit portly to ride them.

Started really looking at the Valyries. I don't care for the looks of the newer Runes, but quite fond of the 98-03s, especially the two tone with cream. I am a bit cocerned with the weight and heft after such a long hiatus, but looks like a heckuva lot of bike for 5-7K

I think I am going to Order a Kawasaki versas LT this week.

Everything I read seems to think this year's model is the best ever. Light and nimble enough to easily handle in city stop n go traffic. Quite quick with the Ninja motor. Lots of people say they are decent tourers, esp. for regional.

Anyone familiar?

Stylistic its kind of swoopy, but seems so much more functional and practical than a stodgy cruiser

I hear there's a similar Yamaha I should check out, but don't remember the model. FJ something?

I rode a Triumph TT600 in my early 20s. One Sunday afternoon I was going about 45mph and a car parked on the side of the road didn't see me and pulled out, clipping my side and knocking me over.

I escaped any broken bones, but I still have road rash on my knee and elbow. I was very lucky. My helmet cracked and definitely saved my life. I rode for a little while after, but I was timid. I ended up selling the bike and haven't rode in over 10 years.

I bought a Jeep Wrangler a few years after to get a sense of the openness on the road. Not the same, but it worked for me.

#######it i stopped at a Harley dealer by my house today and puttered around the lot. Now i want a new road king. They hardly depreciate at all, right?

I've narrowed it down to three.

New 2013 C90T Suzuki BOSS for $9000, with full factory one year warranty. Its 1200 miles away in Medina OH

or

New (demo) 2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT for $12000 that has 3000 miles, but its a demo and will have a full 2 year warranty, 1700 miles away in Roseville CA

or

Used (3300 miles) 2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster ABS for $12000 (250 miles away) - has remaining one year+ of full warranty

Who Should I mail a check to tomorrow?

New 2013 C90T Suzuki BOSS for $9000, with full factory one year warranty. Its 1200 miles away in Medina OH

or

New (demo) 2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT for $12000 that has 3000 miles, but its a demo and will have a full 2 year warranty, 1700 miles away in Roseville CA

or

Used (3300 miles) 2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster ABS for $12000 (250 miles away) - has remaining one year+ of full warranty

I like the Rocket. I'll be in Roseville this weekend I'll check out the Thunderbird for you. :)

or

or

I like the Rocket. I'll be in Roseville this weekend I'll check out the Thunderbird for you. :)
Cool. I'll pm you my phone no. You can send me a pic.

Went with the tbird lt. Wooderson- I sent you my number. If you're in Roseville snap me a few pics. I want to see if it includes the crash bars and stuff shown in the pic or if its a stock pic.

Went with the tbird lt. Wooderson- I sent you my number. If you're in Roseville snap me a few pics. I want to see if it includes the crash bars and stuff shown in the pic or if its a stock pic.
PM Sent

Users who are viewing this thread