What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 STOCK CONTEST- For guderian;RESULTS IN POST 379 (1 Viewer)

Mystery Achiever

Footballguy
(Prior contest threads are now archived at the end of this post)

guderian won our 1st contest (2005) and always kept track of his past picks/performance. So this year we are playing for him.

The Rules

Pick one stock PRICED AT $1+ that you think can appreciate the most (EXCLUDING DIVIDENDS) in 2014.

SInce it is holiday/vacation time, I'll leave open through Tues, Jan 7.

But any pick made after the market opens on Jan. 2 will get the higher of 12/31 or day-of-pick close as baseline, so there is no benefit to timing,

Foreign stocks okay if traded on US exchange (i.e.ADRs)

ETFs okay IF NOT LEVERAGED

Shorts okay

No duplicates; FCFS

Please also consider sharing some thoughts/info on the stock

Optional Bonus Question- Guess where the S&P will finish the year. (I am not worrying about duplicates for this)

If you already made a stock pick, please add your guess to that post.

The Picks (Ticker/Stock Price/ S&P)

Guster- AAPL 561.02

tikigods- ACAD 24.99

spoons- ALU 4.40 2150

lod01- AMRN 1.97

Gen Malaise- AMYGF 7.48

sbonomo- AMZN 398.79 1975

Instinctive- APRI 2.65 2103

Abraham - BBRY 7.44

T.I.Sheik- C 52.11

Routilla- CHTP 4.43 (Acq 6/24 by Lundbeck for 6.44 cash)

St Louis Bob- DDD 92.93

Sand- DLR 49.12

SteevieG- DVN 61.87 1925

Vladimir- EXK 3.63 1472

rustycolts- F 15.44 1950

Eminence- FB 54.65

Sandeman- FCX 37.74

M.Achiever- FEYE 43.61 2020

Acme CEO- FUEL 61.49

EoMMan- GALE 4.96 1980

sporthenry- GERN 4.74 1947

Ignoramus- GGS 1.61 2023

Todem- GILD 75.10 2001

Penguin- GM 40.87 2183

Pey. Marino- GRPN 11.77 2001

f.curse42- GRPN (short) 11.77

Mr Marrtie- GS 177.26 1960

QuizGuy- GTAT 8.72 1970

jwp- GWPRF 3.50 1800

GoBirds- HMPR 1.75

The Ref- IAG 3.33 2118

So.Jersey- JCP 9.15 2023

mquinnjr- JNJ 91.85 1831

pack100- KERX 12.95 1971

Jayrod- KOG 11.21 (Acquired by WLL on Dec 5th @ .177sh WL= $6.59)

Man/NoName-LBMH 4.30 1860

W.Ledezma- MPEL 41.84

BBradcanon- MTNOY 21.00 2025

Rattle and.. MZOR 19.52 1750

kevzilla- NBS 6.82 2070.16

pecorino- NFLX (short) 368.17 2001

jamny- NOK 8.11 1650

Andrew74- NSPH 2.29 1996

jason12vb- NXTD 4 65 (*late pick)

Pantoons- OLED 34.36

opt.maven- ONVO 11.07 1925

Gawain- OPXA 1.82

identikit- PLUG 1.55

Warrior- PTEK 0.96 (Was >$1 when picked; acq. by Multimedia Games on 10/1 for $1.35))

bucsforlife- RAD 5.06 2014

Txns8- RESI 30.11

KingPrawn- RIBT 5.48 2020

BTMatch- RIC 1.00 1921

Nugget- SCTY 56.82

kutta- SGY 34.59

AlCzervik- SID 6.20 1969

johnnyrock- SNTA 5.88 1892

WItz- SSYS 134.70 2014

stubby- SWKS 28.56 2050

elcohiba- SZYM 10.89

(HULK)- TSLA (short) 150.43

lakerstan- TXT 36.76 1720

bicycle_ss- V 222.68

Uruk-Hai- WGO 27.45

DZ2300 - WMIH 2.82

Arid Filch- ZAGG 4.35 2037.63

Fennis- ZGNX 3.44 1999

Ted Lange- ZIOP 4.34 1975

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archive of Prior Contests:

2005 (jamny's original thread is missing)

2006 http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=217834

2007 http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=298787

2008 http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=375154&hl=mcld#entry7956907

2009 http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=450752&page=2&hl=mcld#entry9766987

2010 http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=514513&hl=mcld#entry11309760

2011 http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=579791&hl=mcld#entry12775492

2012 http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=629954&page=1

2013 http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=674015&hl=mcld#entry15206747

Last edited by a moderator:
Bbry.

Stock has been circling the drain for a while, but five years ago it traded at 10x and the Install base is huge. If the new CEO invests in sales then the stock can pop simply by virtue of keeping the current customers from leaving.

Place holder : amazon - amzn

S&p 1975 - i think this might be a relatively flat year. Hope i am wrong.

OPXA

Seem to be the closest to an MS vaccine and possible reversal treatment. Hoping for my wife they get there.

If whatever stock I pick doesn't win, I hope yours does Gawain as that hopefully meams good nees for your wife (I've done the MS walk for a long time)

I'll have my sure to lose pick later. I'll post a just for fun short as well :)

-QG

AAPL - Apple Inc.

Feels like a bit of a make or break year for them and I expect big news with new product releases

AAPL - Apple Inc.

Feels like a bit of a make or break year for them and I expect big news with new product releases
In addition to entering/recreating the wearable market, I think apple could make a big splash in the viewable media market.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get in on the NFL Sunday Ticket bidding - at this point they are probably most afraid of Google, who happen to be rumored to be interested in the rights to Sunday Ticket. No better PR and content win for Apple than to snatch these rights up and package them with new technology/programming delivery. I don't know if the technology side will come out this year or 2015 (or ever?), but expect enough content discussion to happen this year to drive the stock back up near its peak

I think this will be another bad year for Gold, but just in case IAG - IAMGOLD.

And as Peter Schiff says, we have checked into the roach motel of monetary policy. They may taper but they wont quit it. Market up another 15% this year and closes at 2118 on the S&P

I will probably change this before the start, but for now I'll go with UG (United Guardian) as this stock is probably closest in name to guderian.

Actually would be a solid player in this contest and probably will go up next year but dividends don't count and it pours its gains into increasing its dividends.

-QG

DVN Devon Energy Corp

Develops and produces oil and natural gas, primarily in the United States and Canada. It also invests in energy exploration

ETA: S&P 1925

I will probably change this before the start, but for now I'll go with UG (United Guardian) as this stock is probably closest in name to guderian.

Actually would be a solid player in this contest and probably will go up next year but dividends don't count and it pours its gains into increasing its dividends.
Nice. I put you down for it, but feel free to change. .It's had a pretty strong rebound since last earnings report.Div. is only 4%

Amaya Gaming. AYA on the TSX or AMYGF trading in the states.
Thx. US it is.

The REIT sector has been decimated this year. So I'm going to go with the biggest dog I can think of.

DLR for me, please. It is a datacenter REIT that has been whacked several times this year. Luckily I haven't owned it, but I figure it could turn around pretty quick.

I missed that news about Guderian. That really ####### sucks. :kicksrock:

Give me DDD

I also believe I owe a box of crap to this years winner.

FireEye (FEYE) – Recently-public cyber security firm can identify “zero day” (previously unknown) threats that signature-based technologies are unable to detect.

S&P- 2020

FireEye (FEYE) – Recently-public cyber security firm can identify “zero day” (previously unknown) threats that signature-based technologies are unable to detect.

S&P- 2020
Really love FEYE as well. With the high speed of cloud adoption by major corporations, and massive data center infrastructure spending in the next decade, it will only be a matter of time before security dominates the news spotlights.

Target is all over the news with their variation of a 'zero day' attack, and it is only be a matter of time before a successful hack on Amazon Web Services or another major US provider. IP theft and national security will continue to pepper news headlines for the forseeable future.

FEYE's virtualization based security is a key differentiator, even "disruptor" to the traditional physical router firewall offered by Barracuda and even other hot IPOs like Palo Alto. FEYE runs millions upon millions of virtualized 'traps', monitors, and quarantine servers all operating in the cloud. Something noone else is doing right now.

Love FEYE long term. Just think FUEL is positioned to make its run earlier.

[SIZE=9pt]Thanks for the color, Acme. I admit the “virtual machine-based security platform” was not an easy read for me. Target is definitely helping the group from a news flow perspective and hopefully will put FEYE on more radar screens. I did buy some a week or two ago.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]BTW, looks like FEYE and FUEL went public on the same day.[/SIZE]

Yeah, both recent IPOs. I have a suspicion that the IPOs from the last year are a little higher quality as underwriters begin to turn the faucet back on. IPOs have been relatively dry in the past years aside from established giants like FB/TWTR/HLT. The tech companies that do go public during this period are cherry picked from a vast backlog of waiting hopefuls.

S&P- 2020
Really love FEYE as well. With the high speed of cloud adoption by major corporations, and massive data center infrastructure spending in the next decade, it will only be a matter of time before security dominates the news spotlights.

Target is all over the news with their variation of a 'zero day' attack, and it is only be a matter of time before a successful hack on Amazon Web Services or another major US provider. IP theft and national security will continue to pepper news headlines for the forseeable future.

FEYE's virtualization based security is a key differentiator, even "disruptor" to the traditional physical router firewall offered by Barracuda and even other hot IPOs like Palo Alto. FEYE runs millions upon millions of virtualized 'traps', monitors, and quarantine servers all operating in the cloud. Something noone else is doing right now.

Love FEYE long term. Just think FUEL is positioned to make its run earlier.
Very interesting. I'm going to research these companies. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread