What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most Overrated Cuisine (1 Viewer)

Mister CIA

Footballguy
My kids binged on netflix this past month.

Thanks COMCAST

Copy and Paste-esque of my original sentiment:

Indian Cuisine

• Textbook example of trying too hard.
  • Unpleasant to look at
  • I hate, hate ginger

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never much associated ginger with Indian. Very minimal and usually non existent ingredient.

Now, Chinese and especially Japanese have a lot of ginger and I believe other Asian cuisines use it more than the subcontinent.

Indian is far more chili and curry based. More savory than sweet and pickley ala ginger.

I never thought I'd say it when I was younger, but Chinese... 99% of it is cheap takeout ####, low quality ingredients, covered in grease/oil to the point I could vomit.

With that being said, when you do find a good Chinese joint, it is delicious, but I am finding them harder and harder to come by.

I never thought I'd say it when I was younger, but Chinese... 99% of it is cheap takeout ####, low quality ingredients, covered in grease/oil to the point I could vomit.

With that being said, when you do find a good Chinese joint, it is delicious, but I am finding them harder and harder to come by.
johnnycakes alias?

I've never much associated ginger with Indian. Very minimal and usually non existent ingredient.

Now, Chinese and especially Japanese have a lot of ginger and I believe other Asian cuisines use it more than the subcontinent.

Indian is far more chili and curry based. More savory than sweet and pickley ala ginger.
I did have this weird Indian friend who recently relocated back to the East Coast. She kind of overdid things with ginger, so likely I'm improperly biased.

I'll do it all at once, because I have to leave shortly:

Raita is a yogurt dip seasoned with coriander, mint, herbs and spices.

Chicken Tikka is a boneless version of chicken tandoori served with onions, green coriander, and tamarind chutney.

Chicken Tandoori is roasted chicken prepared with yogurt and spices and cooked in a special oven.

Lamb Tandoori is roasted lamb prepared with yogurt and spices.

Chicken Tikka Masala is chicken tikka cooked in a spicy cream sauce made of tomatoes, cream, coconut cream, paprika, and various spices.

Palak Paneer is made of spinach with thick cheese cubes in a curry sauce.

Vindaloo is a very spicy dish made of pork or chicken, marinated in sugar, garlic, wine, ginger, spices, and Kashmiri chilies.

Biryani Rice is a fried rice dish with vegetables.

Aloo Paratha is a spiced bread with potato filling cooked in butter.

Naan is a leavened, oven baked flat bread, often coated in garlic.

Chicken Tikka is a boneless version of chicken tandoori served with onions, green coriander, and tamarind chutney.

Chicken Tandoori is roasted chicken prepared with yogurt and spices and cooked in a special oven.

Chicken Tikka Masala is chicken tikka cooked in a spicy cream sauce made of tomatoes, cream, coconut cream, paprika, and various spices.

Vindaloo is a very spicy dish made of pork or chicken, marinated in sugar, garlic, wine, ginger, spices, and Kashmiri chilies.

Do you deliver?

If given a choice between Judge Smail's chili and Raita - Chili has my vote.

I'll go ahead and chalk this up as 10-7 and we'll come back for round two tomorrow.

ETA: I do have an enquiring mind - what are you dipping in the raita?

I've never heard of ginger in Indian food. It is fairly clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Just to be certain, what flavor slurpee with your ribeye, and what brand of steak sauce?

If given a choice between Judge Smail's chili and Raita - Chili has my vote.I'll go ahead and chalk this up as 10-7 and we'll come back for round two tomorrow.

ETA: I do have an enquiring mind - what are you dipping in the raita?
Most people put it on the naan or the rice. I put it on everything.

I had panipurri(sp?) a bunch in Bombay. I enjoyed that a lot. Aloo Matar Paneer was also really good. It's kind of like this chickpea and potato mixture. The spices are just incredible over there.

I've never heard of ginger in Indian food. It is fairly clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Just to be certain, what flavor slurpee with your ribeye, and what brand of steak sauce?
Hey, my friend was from southern India, and ginger-garlic was a big part of her repertoire. Once, she stopped me from throwing out a Sam's Club-sized bag of garlic that was about to expire and proceeded to cook the hell out of it with equal amounts of ginger. Then she broke out the cumin and I left about 30 seconds later.

Maybe she was just really strange. Let's agree on that.

...There is only one true slurpee flavor - Cherry Coke.

Most overrated is sushi. Raw fish rolled in rice and seaweed. Makes the yuppies feel like they are exotic. Girls who love raw oysters but refuse to swallow are an automatic pain in the hoo-ha.

Most overrated is sushi. Raw fish rolled in rice and seaweed. Makes the yuppies feel like they are exotic. Girls who love raw oysters but refuse to swallow are an automatic pain in the hoo-ha.
Sushi is amazing and more than raw fish rolled in rice and seaweed.

I don't think Indian food is overrated. I think it's properly rated; the lower end of most people's top 10 ethnic foods.

Not sure about overrated, but definitely overpriced due to overfishing.

Your mistake is going to "joints" that cater to westerners. You need to go to a seafood restaurant with a Chinese person that knows what to order.

Your mistake is going to "joints" that cater to westerners. You need to go to a seafood restaurant with a Chinese person that knows what to order.
This might be a regional thing.

We have a number of Vietnamese restaurants down here that are fantastic, what's really amazing is go out with someone Vietnamese and enjoy the menu in a way you never thought possible. And you look at the Vietnamese families at the neighboring tables and they are absolutely feasting and you have no idea where that was on the menu, and then you learn. But then we have a lot of Vietnamese folks down here, they've become a part of our culture.

Haven't done it a whole lot but being out in San Fran eating Chinese is a whole other experience. Man if you do that and come back to wherever you live it is never the same. Most Chinese restaurants are awful, even dim sum, and they litter the country, and it's a shame because it is a truly masterful cuisine, but where and how often is it really done well? Probably NYC (where I've also enjoyed it) and SF and a few other places with a sizable ethnic Chinese population.

Smoke a big fatty, and eat some Pho, Sushi, or some killer Japanese/Chinese. Hell, even some Korean is good too.

Not that I think it is overrated, because I don't believe that it is even "rated" by most...but it deserves mentioning that Irish food is the most god-awful thing on the planet.

American Chinese food is the most overrated...followed by Italian Restaurants. Most Italian food is easily replicated at home.

Not so much cuisines as individual items...

Bacon... its good but it gets infused into everything, or people repurpose it into things like Chocolate dipped bacon. And scallops are better on their own. People going SOOOOOOO crazy for it should be a dead giveway that its over done

Cupcakes... again, good but did it really deserve the "craze"? Crumbs is a pretty good death knell to the movement

Doritos...the first 2-3 doritos you eat stink. You literally have to condition your mouth to eat them. That is not a good food, even if I can inhale a bag once I get going

Users who are viewing this thread