What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saturday Night Live All-Time Great Tourney Bracket (1 Viewer)

Wow, Kirsten Wiig got a #1 seed. She's come a long way from Dr. Pat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.... start from the Eddie Murphy match.. All easy so far.

Crystal v. Piscopo. First tough one. Short stints by both. I enjoyed Joe's sketches more. Voting Joe.

Belushi v. Franklin. Wow what a tough matchup in the round of 64. Love them both. I don't want solely nostalgia to dictate to me here, but voting against Belushi just seems wrong. Jim gets the vote.

Millier v. McDonald - holy hell. This is the round of 64. After much consderation I am voting for Norm.

Sandler v. Rock is a no brainer for Adam. Don't give Chris credit for his standup in his stint at SNL - he wasn't that good.

Farley v. Nealon. Tough draw for Nealon. He is a favorite, but Farley should be a 1 seed and have a pretty solid argument for final 4.

Lovitz v. Spade was easy Lovitz for me but the vote is close. Interesting.

Fey v. Breuer is tough for me. I'm going to take an upset for my taste alone and pick Jim.

All the other ones were easy for me. Kinda bummed I have to wait for the next round now.

Yeah... it's hard not to vote based on entire career and stick to just SNL.

This thing might come down to Fey and Rock for me if you counted everything they've ever done. Probably my two favorites overall, but Rock's SNL stuff was lite compared to others in the bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... it's hard not to vote based on entire career and stick to just SNL.

This thing might come down to Fey and Rock for me if you counted everything they've ever done. Probably my two favorites overall, but Rock's SNL stuff was lite compared to others in the bracket.
Yeah I tried to stick to just SNL. If you don't, then Bill Murray wins this is almost a landslide to me.

The original cast though goes through arguments that they get too much credit and then they are overrated. Those original few years and those guys and gals were just amazing. It's a shame guys like Chase and Murray don't get along and their relationships fell apart so quick because they could still be damn funny together today.

Elite 8 should be (in no order):

Murphy

Aykroyd

Farley

Hartman

Hammond (way underseeded at #9)

Ferrell

Samberg

Meyers

Farley v. Sandler next round will be interesting to see who wins.
Just doing SNL and nothing outside of SNL I think Farley wins fairly easily. Sandler had a lot of hit and miss stuff in the skits and the chaunakka song can only take you so far.

Darrell Hammond as a 9 seed got screwed.

My bracket has a final four of murphy, Hartman, Ferrell, and the last region is the one with all the upsets and Kenan Thompson comes out as the token double-digit seed.

Hartman over Murphy based on longevity and Ferrell over Thompson.

Final is almost too close to call. The nod goes to Will Ferrell, just barely.

I think Fey and Seth Meyers deserve more credit than they'll get because both also served as Head Writers for a long stretch of the show.

Final two almost have to be Eddie Murphy and Will Farrell IMO. Not necessarily who I'd pick, but that's what I think will happen.

Farley v. Sandler next round will be interesting to see who wins.
Just doing SNL and nothing outside of SNL I think Farley wins fairly easily. Sandler had a lot of hit and miss stuff in the skits and the chaunakka song can only take you so far.
I'd vote Farley too. I just don't know it's a slam dunk that Farley would win in a popular vote today.

Murphy

Aykroyd

Farley

Hartman

Ferrell

Samberg

Meyers
I like this list except for Meyers. Good writer but hated him in almost everything except Weekend Update
I would concede Hader as a replacement for Meyers.
If you are picking two from each region I agree. From all I would pick Chase or Belushi. And while Samberg was horrible at skits, I really like a lot of digital shorts and give him kudos for that.

Murphy

Aykroyd

Farley

Hartman

Ferrell

Samberg

Meyers
I like this list except for Meyers. Good writer but hated him in almost everything except Weekend Update
I would concede Hader as a replacement for Meyers.
If you are picking two from each region I agree. From all I would pick Chase or Belushi. And while Samberg was horrible at skits, I really like a lot of digital shorts and give him kudos for that.
Oh yeah... things would be different if I could choose more than 2 from each region.

Just doing SNL and nothing outside of SNL I think Farley wins fairly easily.
Has anybody had a worse SNL career vs. post-SNL career than Robert Downey, Jr.?
Hmmm. Interesting.

Julia Louis Dryfuss was a cast member for a year or two I think. She was terrible on SNL. Billy Crystal wasn't very much meaningful is his year on the show. Gottfried couldn't be himself on the show in his year...you are probably right, although Crystal has made a chunck of change.

Completely agree about Armisen. Wiig is ok, nothing special. Hammond I loved, but saying best ever is crazy talk. I'd take Hartman, Ferrell, Murphy, Belushi, Aykroyd and Farley over him.

Elite 8? (if seeded better)

Murphy

Radner

Murray

Belushi

Myers

Hartman

Ferrell

Poehler
No Hammond or Farley is ludicrous...
I agree it's hard to leave Farley out. Hammond is good, but I would disagree he's top 8. It's all very tight up at the top though. Who would you replace with one of those guys? Farrell, Poehler, Myers?
Hammond's Clinton alone makes him top 8... but he had SO MUCH more brilliance. I think both he and Farley could replace at least Radner, Poehler, or Myers on your list.. I like all three of them, but Hammond and Farley are better than them all.

Murphy

Radner

Murray

Belushi

Myers

Hartman

Ferrell

Poehler
I agree it's hard to leave Farley out. Hammond is good, but I would disagree he's top 8. It's all very tight up at the top though. Who would you replace with one of those guys? Farrell, Poehler, Myers?
Hammond's Clinton alone makes him top 8... but he had SO MUCH more brilliance. I think both he and Farley could replace at least Radner, Poehler, or Myers on your list.. I like all three of them, but Hammond and Farley are better than them all.
Poehler and Myers, maybe, but Radner was pure brilliance. Like I said though, at the top, we're splitting hairs.

Murphy

Radner

Murray

Belushi

Myers

Hartman

Ferrell

Poehler
Poehler and Myers, maybe, but Radner was pure brilliance. Like I said though, at the top, we're splitting hairs.
Radner was awesome, no doubt... but she had a 5 year run. Hammond was on for 14 seasons and was great in all of them.

Murphy

Radner

Murray

Belushi

Myers

Hartman

Ferrell

Poehler
Hammond's Sean Connery is enough to get him to the final four.

Well, this thing has moved fast.

Down to the finals... Hartman vs Ferrell
Phil Hartman was great. Neither of them was nearly as funny as Eddie Murphy.
Ferrell was on the show longer than Murphy (7 years > 5), and had as many or more "funniest guy on Earth" moments as Murphy. Only difference is, a lot of Murphy's pinnacle moments came outside SNL, but Ferrell's fame during his run was almost all SNL-based. I guess his first "big" role would be Mugatu in Zoolander (2001), but his first HUGE role would be Frank The Tank in Old School, a year after he left SNL. So I think Ferrell > Murphy is a pretty easy call.

Hartman and Murphy were totally different players. Different roles to fill, but they both filled them well. This isn't about who is funniest. It's "Best SNL Cast Member", and you can take that to mean a few things. Is it the guy who was a superstar for 5 years and then left (Murphy), or is it the guy who held the show together for a decade, merging the Nealy-Carvey-Meyers cast with the Sandler-Spade-Farley cast, never being a superstar but always lifting sketches with his presence (Hartman)? I think it's a coinflip, but I voted Hartman.

Users who are viewing this thread