What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rush Thread*** Neil Calls It A Career, Not Official. (1 Viewer)

Todem

Footballguy
You know I gotta believe there are a bunch of Rush hard cores here at FBG....so I see there is a Pearl Jam Thread....so WTF why not start a Rush thread for our clubhouse.

All things related...so anything can be discussed here, Tour updates, album news, favorite tunes, albums...whatever.

I also know there will be some serious haters chiming in with their jabs.....simple solution...just scroll past it...don't acknowledge it and let's keep this positive for our discussions of the greatest rock band on the friggin planet.

I will post a very strong update (unconfirmed at this point) from our friends at the RUSHISABAND.com on the upcoming album and tour.

Now for the new details. We've been wondering whether Snakes & Arrows producer Nick Raskulinecz will continue working with Rush for their next album. According to reader spitneye, it looks like this will indeed be the case. He claims to have run into Nick in a Tennessee (Nick is a Knoxville native) grocery store recently and here's what he reported in the comments on last week's Friday updates post:

I live in Franklin, Tennessee and my son and I just ran into Nick Raskulineez at a local grocery store. When I walked past him I immediately recognized him as the producer of the last album Snakes & Arrows so I asked him if he was getting ready to go into the studio with the boys. He looked up with a big smile on his face and said "yes" and said that he just got back from L.A. where they all met and worked out the details. He said that they will be in the studio next month. He said the new album will be like the last album and one of the songs will have a "Natural Science" feel to it.

I can't independently confirm all of this, but it sounds plausible and I tend to take spitneye at his word. Nick's remarks seem to indirectly suggest that the band already has several songs written, which would certainly make it easier for them to get a new album out the door in time for a Spring release. I can confirm via my other sources that Rush definitely do plan on entering the studio next month and that an official announcement regarding the tour will be coming in February. One other rumor I'm hearing is that the band is considering using the tour to somehow mark the 30th anniversary of Permanent Waves (the album was released on January 1, 1980) and may even play that album in its entirety in celebration. That's one rumor I really hope turns out to be true! I'm also hearing that the Rush documentary crew will be on hand to film the band in the studio and probably some of the initial dates on the tour, like they were hoping. So my guess is that the documentary won't be out until the summer at the earliest.

Jacobs Ladder???
Different Strings???

Last edited by a moderator:
Also might as well give some back ground on my Rush history.

I am 39 so I am that core group of fans that discovered them in 1980-1981. I remember it well. I was at a buddy's house hanging out when his older sister came home with a new record from a band named Rush. I did hear Tom Sawyer on the radio and was into the song big time. She said this is the album that has that tune on it. So she pops on the needle and of course Tom Sawyer blasts through the speakers, thumping the floor....but it was the next song that started it all for me.

Red Barchetta proceeds to play and that was it.....I was hooked. Never before had I heard such visual words.....a picture being painted in my mind about driving down the country side in a beautiful red roadster. Music changed for me forever from that moment on. In fact my life changed. I begged my mom for a guitar and went down the path of playing music. And Rush were my teachers.

I can go on and on but our stories will fill these pages (I hope). So much to discuss.

Let it begin.

I wish more FBG'ers realized the obvious truth, Rush is the greatest band in the history of the universe. Can't wait for the new album, and I'd shat my pants to see them play Permanent Waves in its entirety live. ;)

Also might as well give some back ground on my Rush history.I am 39 so I am that core group of fans that discovered them in 1980-1981. I remember it well. I was at a buddy's house hanging out when his older sister came home with a new record from a band named Rush. I did hear Tom Sawyer on the radio and was into the song big time. She said this is the album that has that tune on it. So she pops on the needle and of course tom Sawyer balsts through thumping the floor....but it was the next song that started it all for me.Red Barchetta proceeds to play and that was it.....I was hooked. Never before had I heard such visual words.....a picture being painted in my mind about driving down the country side in a beautiful red roadster. Music changed for me forever from that moment on. In fact my life changed. I begged my mom for a guitar and went down the path of playing music. And Rush were my teachers.I can go on and on but our stories will fill these pages (I hope). So much to discuss.Let it begin.
:lmao: For me, it was Witch Hunt. To this day, it's my favorite song. The Trees is a close second.

Fourteen years old in 1975, first rock concert. They played 2112 and By-Tor in their entirety. I was never the same.

The drummer, what's his name, used to live around the corner from me in Mississauga.

:wow:

I'll add this fact, in 2010 ABBA will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but Rush has still not gotten its just due and been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Not that I'm a big Hall of Fame guy but come on, Rush, has to be considered Hall worthy.

If there truly are Rush fans in this thread, I have a 50 hour collection of some primo sounding concerts available on a single DVD (audio only). PM me for details.

LINK

I'll add this fact, in 2010 ABBA will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but Rush has still not gotten its just due and been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Not that I'm a big Hall of Fame guy but come on, Rush, has to be considered Hall worthy.
That is insane. How could ABBA be considered rock? And if they are in, does Rush want to be included with them?BTW, somebody earlier in the thread said the drummer was Neil Port. Its Neil Peart.

most of Rock music is, but not Rush. And IMO, had one of their members died after Moving Pictures, they would be just as big today as Led Zep is on rock radio.

So I will start this as Rush fans are so diverse...so many different albums have started fans. Some say 2112 was the one others Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones....even Vapor Trails started a new legion of 20 something year old fans.

So I will list my favorite albums in order and then I will also list my favorite live records in order. I will list only those that were commercialy available and include DVD audio companion cds.

I will not include Feedback though as this was a cover album (pretty damm good one to I might add).

I will also add my top 25 Rush Songs...this list though can change like all others. With such a vast catalog sometimes you rediscover tunes. Anyway here we go.

Studio releases

1) Permanent Waves

2) Hemispheres

3) Moving Pictures

4) Signals

5) Power Windows

6) 2112

7) Snakes and Arrows

8) Grace Under Pressure

9) A Farewell To Kings

10) Hold Your Fire

11) Vapor Trails

12) Test For Echo

13) Counterparts

14) Caress of Steel

15) Presto

16) Fly By Night

17) Rush

Live Albums

1) Different Stages

2) Exit Stage Left

3) Snakes and Arrows Live

4) R-30

5) Rush in Rio

6) All The Worlds A Stage

7) A Show of Hands

8) Grace Under Pressure

Top 25 Songs

1) Natural Science

2) Jacobs Ladder

3) Freewill

4) Limelight

5) Red Barchetta

6) Subdivisions

7) Digital Man

8) Marathon

9) Mission

10) Armor and Sword

11) 2112

12) Hemispheres

13) La Villa Strangiato

14) Middletown Dreams

15) Broons Bane/ The Trees/Xanadu suite from Exit Stage Left

16) The Necromancer

17) By Tor and the Snowdog

18) Bravado

19) Vapor Trail

20) Dreamline

21) Open Secrets

22) Afterimage

23) Between The Wheels

24) Red Sector A

25) Cygnus X-1

They're like the Ron Santo of rock, but with legs

Huge, huge fan until Signals. Saw them about a dozen times until then dating back to the Caress of Steel tour. First row at MSG for Moving Pictures.

Ugh. Let's not derail this thread by making it about the ######ed Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, okay? :lmao:
Old Rush > New Ru#### had to be said...........
That is true for most bands (most bands do their best work early in their career), but new Rush is still darn good.

Old Rush > New Ru#### had to be said...........
You won't find anyone here that disagrees...
While I don't disagree that the old stuff (isn't most of it old stuff anymore) is better than the new stuff. I think they made some great strides with Snakes and Arrows. I absolutely love that CD. I like them all when they first come out, but S&A has staying power in my opinion. It does, however, contain the one Rush song (out of 199 on my iphone) that I will not listen to. Other than "Good News First" I think S&A is a top ten Rush CD. Maybe the song will grow on me the way "Digital Man" did, but for now, I skip it."Passage to Bangkok" and "The Trees" were the individual songs that started it for me along with "Twilight Zone" but ultimately Hold You Fire was what kept me coming back for more. So, you can see I have a wide range of respect for their music. I was 14 in 1988 and I hated Rush because my brothers used to play it so loud I couldn't even hear the music. But those three songs got me started and I bought (stole?) the new Hold Your Fire when it came out. Been loving it ever since.Top ten before I go out for 18 holesGrace Under PressurePermanent Waves2112Power WindowsSnakes and ArrowsHold Your FireMoving PicturesHemispheresA Farewell to KingsFly by Night

I still consider '93's Counterparts to be a top 5 Rush record, and it is probably in my top 3.

Snakes and Arrows is a good, solid record; not great, but very solid. And I actually think "Good News First" is one of the better songs on it. A bit different for them, especially the verses, but it works; the bridge in the middle is gorgeous.

I have seen them 3 times in concert and all were great. I am from the era of Caress, 2112, Hemispheres, etc. I still listen to some of that old Rush to this day.

I still consider '93's Counterparts to be a top 5 Rush record, and it is probably in my top 3.

Snakes and Arrows is a good, solid record; not great, but very solid. And I actually think "Good News First" is one of the better songs on it. A bit different for them, especially the verses, but it works; the bridge in the middle is gorgeous.
Sonically Counterparts is a gem. And they have some amazing tunes on that one. Alien Shore, Animate, Cold Fire, Everyday Glory, Cut to the Chase. It was a return to the growl of Alex's sound and a welcome return I may add. The thin strat sound that dominated his sonic landscape grew a little old, and the thick meaty crunch was back with Counterparts. Great tour too.Snakes and Arrows to me was the best creative output they have written and recorded since Power Windows....not a weak link on that record. I heard an energy in the songs I had not heard in a long time although Vapor Trails was very passionate and urgent recod though the sonic quality as we all know was really off for Rush (and we don't have to debate that) I can't listen to that one all the way through because of the maxed out levels and horrendous mix and master. But some great songs on VT as well. They actually remixed One Little Victory and Earthshine for Retrospective III and they sound fantastic. If they ever re-mix and master that entire record that would be truly a gift for their fans.

Rush jumped the proverbial shark with Grace Under Pressure. I remember after Signals fan's were confused but still sticking with the band. Then Grace Under Pressure was released and those hanging on but not liking the direction of the band left them for good while I and many others stuck it out and I guess for lack of a better term "evolved" with the band.

Power Windows to me was the perfection of that peroid (Signals thru HYF). 8 tracks perfectly executed and sonically sound. A cold record it was a true definition of the the Cold War 80's. I truly hope they revive Marathon and Middletown Dreams for this next tour. The way they are playing these days the songs will sound thick and meaty and have a new life to them.

I love ALL Rush, but for me, the '74-81 years were just, well, Xanadu. :goodposting:

My top 10 albums

1) Permanent Waves

2) Hemispheres

3) A Farewell To Kings

4) Moving Pictures

5) Fly By Night

6) Caress of Steel

7) 2112 (probably deserves to be higher, but just overplayed this, it was the 2nd CD i ever bought as a kid)

8) Signals

9) Counterparts

10) Vapor Trails

Ugh. Let's not derail this thread by making it about the ######ed Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, okay? :)Sorry Ghost, just a little F'ed up in my opinion.

Counterparts is a great album. Snakes and Arrows too. It's interesting that both have tremendous tracks deeper in the albums.Counterparts: Between Sun & Moon, Alien Shore, The Speed of Love, Double Agent, Everyday Glory

S & A : Hope, Faithless, Bravest Face, Good News First, Malignant Narcissism

Hope to add more later if the thread sticks. :wub:

Sonically Counterparts is a gem. And they have some amazing tunes on that one. Alien Shore, Animate, Cold Fire, Everyday Glory, Cut to the Chase. It was a return to the growl of Alex's sound and a welcome return I may add. The thin strat sound that dominated his sonic landscape grew a little old, and the thick meaty crunch was back with Counterparts. Great tour too.Snakes and Arrows to me was the best creative output they have written and recorded since Power Windows....not a weak link on that record. I heard an energy in the songs I had not heard in a long time although Vapor Trails was very passionate and urgent recod though the sonic quality as we all know was really off for Rush (and we don't have to debate that) I can't listen to that one all the way through because of the maxed out levels and horrendous mix and master. But some great songs on VT as well. They actually remixed One Little Victory and Earthshine for Retrospective III and they sound fantastic. If they ever re-mix and master that entire record that would be truly a gift for their fans.

Rush jumped the proverbial shark with Grace Under Pressure. I remember after Signals fan's were confused but still sticking with the band. Then Grace Under Pressure was released and those hanging on but not liking the direction of the band left them for good while I and many others stuck it out and I guess for lack of a better term "evolved" with the band.

Power Windows to me was the perfection of that peroid (Signals thru HYF). 8 tracks perfectly executed and sonically sound. A cold record it was a true definition of the the Cold War 80's. I truly hope they revive Marathon and Middletown Dreams for this next tour. The way they are playing these days the songs will sound thick and meaty and have a new life to them.
:wub:

Yep, a lot of fans jumped off the bandwagon when they started adding more keyboards and stopped doing long, proggy songs. Oh well...their loss.

F_F, I agree, but it ain't worth talking about anymore. The R&RHOF sucks, and most music purists know this already.

Todem, I am with you, regarding Vapor Trails. Good CD, but it sounds too loud and too muddy. 'Tis a shame, too, as most of the songs are really good. I cannot listen to it all of the way through, as the loudness of it gets annoying when getting hit with one song after another from it, but when doing a Rush random playlist, most of the songs always sound good when mixed in with songs from other albums and eras. :lmao: :P

Huge fan. I really hated Rush in junior high because I was into hard core metal and didn't like Geddy's voice. But while I was learning guitar in junior high, I got serious about it in high school. Once I learned how cool Rush songs were to play on the guitar, I was hooked.

I've seen them live four times:

Grace Under Pressure tour

Opening band: the Fabulous Thunderbirds

Roll the Bones tour

Opening band: Primus

Presto Tour

Opening Band: Mr. Big

Counterparts tour

No opening band

Is your point that ABBA shouldn't be inducted at all, or that Rush should've gotten in before them but it's ok that ABBA gets in?

:jawdrop:
I love P/G.....but a lot of lomg time fans cut loose after that record. But a new generation of fans was being added during that time peroid of Signals - Hold Your Fire.

For the longest time, I was never a huge Power Windows fan.....being a old school Rush fan. Then I put in on recently on my Ipod Ipod......and wow, it is a great record.

I love ALL Rush, but for me, the '74-81 years were just, well, Xanadu. ;)My top 10 albums1) Permanent Waves2) Hemispheres3) A Farewell To Kings4) Moving Pictures5) Fly By Night6) Caress of Steel7) 2112 (probably deserves to be higher, but just overplayed this, it was the 2nd CD i ever bought as a kid)8) Signals9) Counterparts10) Vapor Trails
:thumbup: Very close to my top 10 slightly differnt order.....and substitute Snakes and Arrows for Vapor Trails (VT would be at #11 for me)1)Hemispeheres (a perfect record)2) Moving Pictures3) Permanent Waves4) A Farewell to Kings5) 21126) Signals7) Snakes and Arrows8) Caress of Steel9) Fly By Night10 Counterparts

For the longest time, I was never a huge Power Windows fan.....being a old school Rush fan. Then I put in on recently on my Ipod Ipod......and wow, it is a great record.
That record had to be a major culture shock for old school Rush fans at the time, as it is so glossy and keyboard-heavy, but the songwriting on it is stellar. I was fortunate in that it was one of the first Rush CDs I got into when I first got into the band in late '91. :goodposting:

My dog is named Bytor.

Couldn't even begin to name a favorite album (assuming ESL doesn't count) or song.

Users who are viewing this thread