What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Parenthood": New NBC Show (1 Viewer)

pollardsvision

Footballguy
I try to avoid NBC at all costs, but this show is solid.

I'm willing to give anything with Peter Krause, Coach, Lauren Graham, and Monica Potter a chance. Great cast. I have a feeling this show will be a hit and it's nice to see Krause in this role. I think it suits him much better than that stupid Dirty Sexy Money show.

Anybody else catch it?

I liked it. Like OP said, lots of nice eye candy of actual women, not stick figures or jail bait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big fan of Lorelai from Gilmore Girls... and now a big fan of Parenthood. Solid show. I've been keeping up with it since the sart.

I try to avoid NBC at all costs, but this show is solid.

I'm willing to give anything with Peter Krause, Coach, Lauren Graham, and Monica Potter a chance. Great cast. I have a feeling this show will be a hit and it's nice to see Krause in this role. I think it suits him much better than that stupid Dirty Sexy Money show.

Anybody else catch it?
:goodposting: That is the ONLY reason I've given it a chance. It hasn't been anything special so far, but those actors/actresses have made it worth watching, especially Graham.

Meh. Wife wanted to watch it to avoid watching some Simpsons reruns. Didn't find it very compelling at all (as far as the story lines/characters were concerned). Chuckled a few times, but that was it. IMHO.

Saw the first one, which was pretty decent.

Hardest thing is trying not to compare the show to the movie, which is a true favorite of mine.

The show is a huge drag.
:goodposting: Told my wife there's enough of this in the real world around us that I don't need to watch it on TV.
We watched the pilot on DVR last night.My wife suggested a new slogan for the show: "Parenthood on NBC: Because your own life doesn't suck enough already"Found it totally depressing
Nowhere near as depressing as Six Feet Under. Peter Krause needs to pick happier roles.

The show is a huge drag.
:goodposting: Told my wife there's enough of this in the real world around us that I don't need to watch it on TV.
We watched the pilot on DVR last night.My wife suggested a new slogan for the show: "Parenthood on NBC: Because your own life doesn't suck enough already"

Found it totally depressing
Love it for this very reason.
:shock: The show hasn't grown on me yet, but it would be pretty boring to just watch happy-go-lucky shows.

zamboni said:
mon said:
The_Man said:
The show is a huge drag.
:rolleyes: Told my wife there's enough of this in the real world around us that I don't need to watch it on TV.
We watched the pilot on DVR last night.My wife suggested a new slogan for the show: "Parenthood on NBC: Because your own life doesn't suck enough already"

Found it totally depressing
Love it for this very reason.
:lmao: The show hasn't grown on me yet, but it would be pretty boring to just watch happy-go-lucky shows.
Okay, but damn, let's try to mix it up just a little. Granted, the second episode was about 90% depressing and 10% lighthearted, which is a huge improvement over the pilot. Haven't seen last night's episode yet.

I agree it is way too depressing. Though, I do want to keep watching the Ashberger's story line until I get the vascectomy scheduled to stave off any possibility of considering having another kid.

I think the show keeps building steam (slowly, but surely).

It's got some moments of humor, but it's certainly not hilarious. It's really just a drama with some mild humor mixed in.

It's not as depressing as it first started and the cast is phenomenal.

It's definitely my favorite new show. (If Modern Family isn't considered new anymore

Oh, and I think Erika Christensen might be the hottest thunder-thigh'd woman in Hollywood. (though I personally think she's just the 3rd hottest on the show).

The ratings have been coming up since it's so-so debut. Anybody that hasn't yet should check it out.

The show is growing on me. One thing I find odd is how much of a non-factor the grandmother is. They should have just made Coach a widower.

The show is growing on me.
Same here - I didn't see last night's episode yet, but did see the rest.I really like the way they're handling the Asperger syndrome angle with Max. Having a son with some Asperger-like tendencies, I can relate to what Max's parents are going through.Considering he's the most well-known actor, I think Coach is probably the weakest character. Definitely pales in comparison to Jason Robards from the movie.

I'm really liking it, but then I really like non-cop-related dramas (except I love Dexter). Soundtrack is really good, too.

Erika Christensen is the worst thing about the show for me. Don't like her or her face.

This show is really making me respect you parents out there, too. Don't envy what you guys have to go through, but it sure looks worth it.

I'm really liking it, but then I really like non-cop-related dramas (except I love Dexter). Soundtrack is really good, too.

Erika Christensen is the worst thing about the show for me. Don't like her or her face.

This show is really making me respect you parents out there, too. Don't envy what you guys have to go through, but it sure looks worth it.
If you are not a fan of cop shows, or lawyer shows (which I don't), theres not much out there. This is one option and I like it a lot so far.

If you are not a fan of cop shows, or lawyer shows (which I don't), theres not much out there. This is one option and I like it a lot so far.
Plenty of hospital shows.

The show has definitely gotten better. I watched about half the pilot before turning it off. I caught last week's show(because the tv was still on after the gf watched Biggest Loser) and found myself getting into it. I actually made a point of watching it this week. Definitely is growing on me and is now officially on the DVR schedule.

The craziest part about the show is I find Dax Shepard to be tolerable. In fact, his character might have the most interesting storyline, well second to Max's Asberger's anyway.

The show is growing on me. One thing I find odd is how much of a non-factor the grandmother is. They should have just made Coach a widower.
I see her being in there only as a future storyline. I assume the season finale, or maybe next season's opener(if the show catches on) will be a heart-wrenching death in the family show.

The craziest part about the show is I find Dax Shepard to be tolerable. In fact, his character might have the most interesting storyline, well second to Max's Asberger's anyway.
So far, Peter Krause and Dax Shepard are giving the best acting performances in the ensemble.

I see her being in there only as a future storyline. I assume the season finale, or maybe next season's opener(if the show catches on) will be a heart-wrenching death in the family show.
I'm guessing that Coach's infidelity will come up again at some point and she'll take a more prominent role. Which reminds me, the daughter finds her dad's condoms and learns that her dad has been sleeping out in the garage apt., and there's no further discussion? She doesn't push the issue with her dad, or talk to her mom, or talk with her siblings? That's just odd.

One minor thing that irritates me about the show is the use of the East Bay as the setting. It's cool, and I wish they would have continued filming here to keep the atmosphere, but I understand them wanting to stay cheaper in LA. That's normal.

But because it's now in LA, some of the local elements get mangled in such a way that it's distracting for me. The Tilden park merry-go-round was an awesome local reference. Erika Christianson referring to a billboard on SAINT Pablo was just wrong (Might have just been her pronunciation of SAN, but it was so jarring I had to rewind to double check I heard right). If they stayed in the East Bay, they might have gotten the logo on the baseball field right, but they did have the East Bay Parks and Recreation name correct.

The show has definitely gotten better. I watched about half the pilot before turning it off. I caught last week's show(because the tv was still on after the gf watched Biggest Loser) and found myself getting into it. I actually made a point of watching it this week. Definitely is growing on me and is now officially on the DVR schedule.

When I first saw the show, I wasn't real thrilled about him being in it. I assumed he'd be the turd in the punchbowl of an all-star cast, as I've only seen him play annoying idiots. I was wrong though. Like you said, he's a great character in the show.

When I first saw the show, I wasn't real thrilled about him being in it. I assumed he'd be the turd in the punchbowl of an all-star cast, as I've only seen him play annoying idiots. I was wrong though. Like you said, he's a great character in the show.
Yeah, that's exactly the mindset I had about him. Has he ever had a serious role before? He's a much better actor than I ever gave him credit for before.

So far, Peter Krause and Dax Shepard are giving the best acting performances in the ensemble.
I'd give the top award to Lauren Graham
I'm not buying her performance at all. She's near the bottom for me, just above the non-existent grandmother.

I'm not buying her performance at all. She's near the bottom for me, just above the non-existent grandmother.
;) how dare you say that about my imaginary girlfriend!!!

Interesting Parenthood/FBG trivia: the actress that plays Dax Sheppard's ex-girlfriend (with whom he had Jabbar) is Joy Bryant.

The show is growing on me.
I really like the way they're handling the Asperger syndrome angle with Max. Having a son with some Asperger-like tendencies, I can relate to what Max's parents are going through.
I'm in the same boat, and while I can absolutely relate, I have enough anxiety around the subject in "real life". I don't need to re-live it with this show. I wanted to like it, but this element of the show has me moving on.

She was great in Gilmore Girls. But now she's playing the exact same character, just not quite as well. The grandmother is an unrecognizable Holly McClain from "Die Hard" - Bonnie Bedlia. I like Dax o.k. - he was great in Zathura, not as good in this, primarily because I don't buy him as The Ladies Man.

I watched all 5 episodes back to back yesterday on the DVR and was instantly hooked. Hadnt checked in this thread since the 1st or 2nd episode and was surprised at the time to see all the negative reviews, but it seems like most have changed their opinion. I wouldnt call the show "depressing", I think "realistic" is more apt although a surprisingly high amount of negative things have recently occurred to the family which is why its a show.

As I expected, the cast is great. If the show lives on, I would have to think they get nominated for best ensemble cast. It might change, but the parents had a pretty large role in the movie whereas now they get less screentime than most of the kids. Considering how strong the middle generation of actors are in the show, Id rather they stick with this formula.

Soundtrack stood out as being above average as well, especially for a network tv show.

Cant wait for the next episodes, although I might get into the habit of watching 2 or 3 back to back because I hate waiting week to week for only 45 minutes of a show

erika christensen is hot as hell
:goodposting:
For real?! I think Monica Potter, Lauren Graham, Joy Bryant (Dax's GF), Erinn Hayes (Racquel), and even Sarah Ramos (Haddie) are all hotter than her.So basically, every female of legal age in the show
:lmao:
Add Minka Kelly to the list. (Christensen is still hot though. She's a hero to thunder thighed women everywhere).New episode is great. Show just keeps getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread