What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lone Survivor-new movie with Marky Mark (no funky bunch) (1 Viewer)

Wahlberg has a clause in the deal memo (contract you sign to work on a film/show/video etc) that calling him Marky Mark is a fireable offense.

Marky mark guy is like freebird guy. Yes, get rid of them quickly.

Read the book. It's ok, though obviously the event was tragic, remarkable, and crazy as hell.

I saw the trailer of this before Captain Phillips a couple of months ago. Went out and got the book, which was fantastic. I will definitely be seeing this movie. Awesome, awesome story.

Yep, really looking forward to this. Hoping the real Marcus gets on track again. Sounds like marriage & 2 kids are helping but that part about his living room being a shrine to all his fallen comrades was kinda creepy. Seems like a pretty cool guy, can't imagine what he's gone through. Talking about visiting his fallen comrades parents was pretty chilling, not sure how you ever comes to grips with that.

AAABatteries said:
Looks good.

Why the hell is Bill Simmons one of the quotes about the movie?
Simmons is friends with Peter Berg who wrote and directed it. He had him on his podcast talking about the movie recently.

Checking this out tonight. Awesome story. I've watched a few interviews with this guy. Not big on Marky Mark in this part, though. Way too over the top but I hope I'm wrong.

So I assumed the climax of the movie was largely fictionalized. According to the internet, it looks like I was right. Granted, it's Hollywood, but something like that makes me wonder about the rest of the movie. Apparently the size of the force they faced has grown a bit over the years.

The battle scenes were pretty amazing, but that's (hopefully) beside the point for a movie like this.

Read the book. It's ok, though obviously the event was tragic, remarkable, and crazy as hell.
His book is a little loopy with some of the way he rants against liberals and rationalizes why he should have shot the kid.

His book is a little loopy with some of the way he rants against liberals and rationalizes why he should have shot the kid.
Yeah, he's a bit of a meat head.
saw the movie didn't read the book. i couldn't figure out why the didnt just untie the old man and leave the kid and the older kid tied up. probably bought you an extra couple hours

The way he blames liberals and the media as an excuse for not killing innocent people is a bit crazy and took away from the central theme of his book IMO.

If he would have omitted "left and right", "republican and democrat" and left names out, it probably would have read better for left leaning readers.

As a solider who was risking his life during these missions and lost a lot of friends, I sympathized with his feelings on the policies he was discussing.

If he would have omitted "left and right", "republican and democrat" and left names out, it probably would have read better for left leaning readers.

As a solider who was risking his life during these missions and lost a lot of friends, I sympathized with his feelings on the policies he was discussing.
True but leaving that stuff in just makes him and the seals sound like heartless killers.

I dont think killing a 14 year old has anything to do with any policy.

Looks like it will be a good movie.

I saw Marky-Mark last year when he was in Detroit filming. We were at a fund raiser at WSU for the arts and my buddy says that Marky is making an appearance. I am standing there and my buddy says "There is Marky, I said that can`t be him" They list him at 5-8, but he looks closer to 5-6, 5-7 and about 150lbs. A tiny man. I was expecting some big ripped up Calvin Klein model and this little skinny guy was standing there. Looks older in person. Did not come near us but he seemed like a pretty good guy shaking some hands. Only stayed for 10-15 minutes then was gone.

True but leaving that stuff in just makes him and the seals sound like heartless killers.I dont think killing a 14 year old has anything to do with any policy.
That 14 year old was responsible for the deaths of dozens of US special forces. If you believe his story, they knew it (not the number, but the attempt). 14 is much different there than here. I took it more as a civilian that the policy protected and the age of the goat herder just added more conflict.

The way he blames liberals and the media as an excuse for not killing innocent people is a bit crazy and took away from the central theme of his book IMO.
How do you know he was innocent? That's a very difficult situation to be in over there. Almost everyone would consider every possibility in that situation, especially ones that would save the lives of you and your buddies.

I'm reading this book right now and this is getting a bit old. That being said cheers to him and his service - such a bad situation these guys find themselves in on a day to day basis.

Don't want to get to specific to avoid spoilers but I don't really believe that the majority of "lefties" as he says would have issues when presented with the facts with his actions had they gone the other way.

Looking forward to seeing the movie.

Just saw it. What an excellent film about true heroes. I cannot express the appreciation I have for these guys and all the men and women who put their lives on the line every day to make our country safe. I'm glad they are on our side.

Just saw it. What an excellent film about true heroes. I cannot express the appreciation I have for these guys and all the men and women who put their lives on the line every day to make our country safe. I'm glad they are on our side.
I don't think dicking around the mountains of Afghanistan killing goat herders is keeping the country safe.

I don't think dicking around the mountains of Afghanistan killing goat herders is keeping the country safe.
pantherclub said:
Just finished the book. Must say he sounds like a complete and total jack ###. From the way he blames the media and democrats to him wanting to shoot innocent 14 year olds is pretty dispeciable.

I dont get the love he got after the book was published. He had numerous chances to pull the plug on the mission and leave but not once did he. Instead he blames the media and the outcry that would have happened if he would have killed the unarmed innocent teenage goat herders. he seems like a d bag.
Pretty sure the only thing you've ever kept safe, is your collection of two-headed dildos. :thumbup:

southeastjerome said:
This kind of talk is funny.

pantherclub said:
southeastjerome said:
:lmao: I like this.

southeastjerome said:
How so? Especially if you've read the book, how can you read what they go through in training to serve our country and help protect it and not feel a huge sense of appreciation?

southeastjerome said:
How so? Especially if you've read the book, how can you read what they go through in training to serve our country and help protect it and not feel a huge sense of appreciation?
Because it's viewed as uncool

southeastjerome said:
Because it's viewed as uncool
I think it's cool as ####.

Saw the movie it was entertaining. I guess I will skip the book if it makes the main character seem different than his character in the movie.

Has anyone read Lone Survivor and American Sniper, Chris Kyle's book?

Kyle didn't get real political...or was he involved a specific event as crazy as this one....but I really enjoyed the window into what that experience was like, and seeing into the mind of someone who has done what he's done.

Has anyone read Lone Survivor and American Sniper, Chris Kyle's book?

Kyle didn't get real political...or was he involved a specific event as crazy as this one....but I really enjoyed the window into what that experience was like, and seeing into the mind of someone who has done what he's done.
I've just read American Sniper. His gripes (which were minimal) were related to military SNAFUs rather than politics. The best part of his book was the description of them clearing houses in Ramadi.

Users who are viewing this thread