What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gotham - a show about Batman without any actual uhhh...Batman (1 Viewer)

Might be worth giving it a shot. Smallville was pretty good in the beginning (Havent watched Arrow). Some good people in it....

I might watch it if it's set up in the structure of Mad Men and Breaking Bad with 13 episodes a year. I don't think I'll ever watch a bloated 25 episode network show again.

let's do a show prominently featuring Commissioner Gordon, said a television executive, apparently.
I wouldn't have minded a TV version of the Gotham Central comics, done as a standard police procedural in the style of Law & Order or NYPD Blue, but set in the Batman universe. In which Batman was either rarely seen or even yet-to-be-seen (a prequel), if it was just hard-boiled detective stories instead of Batman Babies with young versions of all the Rogue's Gallery. I think my main problem is, knowing the canon to come, that all these guys knew each other as kids before.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trailer may be better than the show. It needs a lot of good characters with a big cast.

And where's Robin?

I might watch it if it's set up in the structure of Mad Men and Breaking Bad with 13 episodes a year. I don't think I'll ever watch a bloated 25 episode network show again.
While I agree that shortened seasons have been consistently superior to traditional network runs, and am surprised no networks have tried to adopt the format (eta I forgot that the new season of 24 is trying it out), those shows have the advantage of being on cable and therefore able to get away with significantly more adult content. I don't think that would be possible on network television.

let's do a show prominently featuring Commissioner Gordon, said a television executive, apparently.
I wouldn't have minded a TV version of the Gotham Central comics, done as a standard police procedural in the style of Law & Order or NYPD Blue, but set in the Batman universe. In which Batman was either rarely seen or even yet-to-be-seen (a prequel), if it was just hard-boiled detective stories instead of Batman Babies with young versions of all the Rogue's Gallery. I think my main problem is, knowing the canon to come, that all these guys knew each other as kids before.
This. The Gotham Central comics were well done.

Still, I'll be giving this a shot. I was lukewarm about Agents of Shield and was ready to turn it off after ep 3 but it's really turned into something good.

While I agree that shortened seasons have been consistently superior to traditional network runs, and am surprised no networks have tried to adopt the format (eta I forgot that the new season of 24 is trying it out), those shows have the advantage of being on cable and therefore able to get away with significantly more adult content. I don't think that would be possible on network television.
FOX has been trying it with more than the 12-episode "24". "Sleepy Hollow" was limited to 13 episodes only. "The Following" is limited to 15. No one knows yet exactly what the deal with Gotham is, but, FOX has committed to 16, which is an unusual number (most shows that have a chance to go a full season get an order for 13, then if the ratings are good, there's an option for 9 more for a total of 22). FOX's plan could be to limit it to just 16 in the first year.

CBS also recently tried the same with "Hostages".

It might have worked if they stuck with stuff like YEAR ONE, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory as their source material and focused on the corruption of the GCPD, the criminal families that ran Gotham before the costumed villians and gradually introduced young versions of the villains.

I haven't watched but it looked like they were shooting for Smallville with the Bat. I loved Smallville. Made me a bit of a Superman fan. But this doesn't seem like it would work as well.

I haven't watched but it looked like they were shooting for Smallville with the Bat. I loved Smallville. Made me a bit of a Superman fan. But this doesn't seem like it would work as well.
no sounds like its really jim gordon. Im assuming bruce wayne is a kid.

Death of the Wayne's will probably be a story line eventually...well it would be if it doesn't get cancelled, which it probably will.

Death of the Wayne's will probably be a story line eventually...well it would be if it doesn't get cancelled, which it probably will.
I could have sworn they showed the parents killed in the previews.

Although with the Flash series coming out, along with Arrow maybe they are going to try for something truly ambitious like a Justice League series.

I know I really want to see the Wayne parents get shot again. Hoo boy, don't miss that episode. They'll probably end it with a Coldplay montage.

I could have sworn they showed the parents killed in the previews.
Funny thing is I forgot about this thread and hadn't heard a thing about the series until it was bumped. Was really surprised to see I had posted in this thread too (haven't smoked dope in years either). Considering I am part of their target audience I think they may have not done such a good job with the advertising.

Chaka said:
shadyridr said:
NCCommish said:
IIRC, it is the case Gordon gets assigned to in the pilot.

Chaka said:
shadyridr said:
NCCommish said:
NAILED IT!!!

Chaka said:
shadyridr said:
NCCommish said:
Which of course screws canon.

Chaka said:
shadyridr said:
NCCommish said:
Wasn't this alluded to in the last Batman?

Chaka said:
shadyridr said:
NCCommish said:
They've already screwed with the canon. IIRC, Old school canon was Gordon transferred to Gotham (from Chicago?) as a Lt in the police force, after Bruce Wayne had grown and was becoming Batman. New school canon, depicted in the Nolan movies and now being reinforced throughout the comics is that Gordon moved to Gotham while the Waynes were still alive, was a newbie on the force, and was there the night the Waynes were killed, comforting young Bruce and offering him his jacket.

Chaka said:
shadyridr said:
NCCommish said:
They've already screwed with the canon. IIRC, Old school canon was Gordon transferred to Gotham (from Chicago?) as a Lt in the police force, after Bruce Wayne had grown and was becoming Batman. New school canon, depicted in the Nolan movies and now being reinforced throughout the comics is that Gordon moved to Gotham while the Waynes were still alive, was a newbie on the force, and was there the night the Waynes were killed, comforting young Bruce and offering him his jacket.
True.

Chaka said:
shadyridr said:
NCCommish said:
NAILED IT!!!
Congrats on watching the trailer

Chaka said:
shadyridr said:
NCCommish said:
NAILED IT!!!
Congrats on watching the trailer
Hand to God; I have never seen one frame of video (or picture, or read one bit of commentary about the show outside of this thread).

Didn't you know I was prescient?

ETA: Or that I have a very small talent for predicting the obvious?

Users who are viewing this thread