What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Richard Dawkins -- Showing his true colors with his tweets (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
Today he tweeted regarding fetuses who have down syndrome: "Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice."

Trying to defend himself on twitter, but it's not working.

That's not a far-fetched position is it? Not everyone feels that way but that's part of the reason they do the testing :shrug:

My wife and I discussed this at length prior to the birth of our first child. If we had learned beforehand that the child had down syndrome, my wife would have likely had an abortion.

Sorry if you think that's immoral, shader. I regard it as a private, personal choice. Unlike Dawkins, I would never encourage others to take this step. But I think everyone should have the right to.

I dont think there's anything immoral about abortion in general and I find that to be a very insensitive statement.

My wife and I discussed this at length prior to the birth of our first child. If we had learned beforehand that the child had down syndrome, my wife would have likely had an abortion.

Sorry if you think that's immoral, shader. I regard it as a private, personal choice. Unlike Dawkins, I would never encourage others to take this step. But I think everyone should have the right to.
I didn't say it was immoral. (although you know from previous threads that I do feel that way). Dawkins said it's immoral NOT to have an abortion if the baby had down syndrome.

Today he tweeted regarding fetuses who have down syndrome: "Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice."

Do you agree with what Dawkins is saying or not?

I didn't say it was immoral. (although you know from previous threads that I do feel that way). Dawkins said it's immoral NOT to have an abortion if the baby had down syndrome.
Yeah, I disagree with that POV, but I'm not offended by it and I don't see how it shows his true colors. Dawkins is an atheist who holds that all morality should stem from reason. I agree with that position. Are you suggesting that abortion is a case in which our morality should stem from God's instruction which defies reason?

Everytime I see thread titles with peoples names in them and I don't know the name, I always wonder how much out of touch I am.

That's not a far-fetched position is it? Not everyone feels that way but that's part of the reason they do the testing :shrug:
"Abort it and try again" isn't that far-fetched, I get that. Saying it's immoral to have the kid? Don't get that part.

Every person we know raising a downs syndrome kid is committing an immoral act?

Last edited by a moderator:
The morality or immorality argument to me is beside the point here. Saying "Abort it and try again" basically sounds like the sum of every person with down's syndrome's life equates to something that should be aborted. I think its pretty insulting to the many individuals who suffer from it who do lead relatively happy and functioning lives.

"Abort it and try again" isn't that far-fetched, I get that. Saying it's immoral to have the kid? Don't get that part.

Interesting - I never would have read it that way but I can see someone reading that into it.

But that's not at all what he's saying - I'm sure he'd be very complimentary of people raising downs syndrome or any special needs kid. His argument is that it's immoral to bring someone who will struggle so much into the world if you have the choice not to.

Certainly people will argue whether that's moral or not, but he's not casting aspersions on people with down's syndrome or their caretakers

All-time great safety and first ballot HoFer IMO.
Are you sure it's not that guy who owns the creek from the 90s show? The one who was always getting it on with Tom Cruise's wife? (Except I think that in real life he and that other dude, Paisley or whatever, we're into each other).

Interesting - I never would have read it that way but I can see someone reading that into it.But that's not at all what he's saying - I'm sure he'd be very complimentary of people raising downs syndrome or any special needs kid. His argument is that it's immoral to bring someone who will struggle so much into the world if you have the choice not to.

Certainly people will argue whether that's moral or not, but he's not casting aspersions on people with down's syndrome or their caretakers
There's only one way to read it.

Just to put this in perspective, something like 90% of prenatally diagnosed down syndrome babies are aborted. So this outcry doesn't really reflect reality.

Interesting - I never would have read it that way but I can see someone reading that into it.But that's not at all what he's saying - I'm sure he'd be very complimentary of people raising downs syndrome or any special needs kid. His argument is that it's immoral to bring someone who will struggle so much into the world if you have the choice not to.

There's only one way to read it.
Then how are you quoting two people reading it two different ways?

Why would you expect Richard Dawkins to be against abortion?
If you were to ask somebody with Down's syndrome whether they would prefer the life they were given or would prefer never to have been born at all, what sort of response do you think you would get? You don't have to appeal to religion at all to establish why Dawkin's position is morally abhorrent. All you need is revealed preferences. That same argument applies to eugenics in general.

If you were to ask somebody with Down's syndrome whether they would prefer the life they were given or would prefer never to have been born at all, what sort of response do you think you would get?
:whoosh:
Dawkins is arguing that it's better that people with Down's syndrome never be born. And he's saying that with complete disregard for the preferences of people with Down's syndrome.

If you were to ask somebody with Down's syndrome whether they would prefer the life they were given or would prefer never to have been born at all, what sort of response do you think you would get?
Dawkins is arguing that it's better that people with Down's syndrome never be born. And he's saying that with complete disregard for the preferences of people with Down's syndrome.
Now imagine they were black.

A garbled one?
Nice.
:bag:
Okay, I admit I'm a little bit of an ####### and saw the humor in that. But my wife has spent the past couple of years helping people with cognitive problems, including high-functioning Down's folks, find employment in our community. A lot of these are really good people.

If you were to ask somebody with Down's syndrome whether they would prefer the life they were given or would prefer his or her parents hadn't had sex that night, what sort of response do you think you would get?

Dawkins is saying what 90% of people who get that diagnose on their unborn child is doing (citing jdog above)

Apart from that it's my understanding that most people who object to abortion do so on religious grounds...

Would you all sign up for a program where you could be 100% sure of eye color, hair color, maybe a design a baby type thing?

Would you all sign up for a program where you could be 100% sure of eye color, hair color, maybe a design a baby type thing?
Pretty large jump from choosing against the burden of down syndrome all the way to engineering a child.

If you were to ask somebody with Down's syndrome whether they would prefer the life they were given or would prefer never to have been born at all, what sort of response do you think you would get? You don't have to appeal to religion at all to establish why Dawkin's position is morally abhorrent. All you need is revealed preferences. That same argument applies to eugenics in general.
If you were to ask somebody with Down's syndrome whether they would prefer the life they were given or would prefer not to have Down's syndrome, what sort of response do you think you would get?

I think some of you are so focused on being offended that you're not willing to consider the big picture if what he's saying.

Obviously Down's syndrome kids would choose to have been born. Obviously Dawkins isn't calling for their execution.

His point is - if you had a choice between having a disabled child or a non-disabled child, choosing the non-disabled child would be the morally right thing to do - for the child

He's not saying anything at all about the worthiness to live of Down's syndrome sufferers

Pretty large jump from choosing against the burden of down syndrome all the way to engineering a child.
Well that way you don't even have to worry about making that choice. Then we can start engineering humans so that everyone is an alpha male.

Well that way you don't even have to worry about making that choice. Then we can start engineering humans so that everyone is an alpha male.
Just won't let that straw man go, will you

Interesting - I never would have read it that way but I can see someone reading that into it.

But that's not at all what he's saying - I'm sure he'd be very complimentary of people raising downs syndrome or any special needs kid. His argument is that it's immoral to bring someone who will struggle so much into the world if you have the choice not to.

OK, now I get that he's not saying raising the kid is immoral. I'm still struggling why he thinks the choice to keep the kid is immoral. You can argue that it is better to abort the fetus and try again than to keep it. But immoral to keep it?

His point is - if you had a choice between having a disabled child or a non-disabled child, choosing the non-disabled child would be the morally right thing to do - for the child
Just from the quote in the OP, I don't see how you get that. Are you using some other quotes?

And I don't see how what you're saying makes sense. X is conceived and it is determined he has down syndrome. What you decide to do with X is irrelevant to whether you chose to try and have another child who hopefully turns out to be non-disabled.

Just from the quote in the OP, I don't see how you get that. Are you using some other quotes?

And I don't see how what you're saying makes sense. X is conceived and it is determined he has down syndrome. What you decide to do with X is irrelevant to whether you chose to try and have another child who hopefully turns out to be non-disabled.
You have to believe they are separate individuals first. I don't think Dawkins believes that. They are 2 sets of undeveloped cells.

Users who are viewing this thread