What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who's at fault here? Driving discussion (1 Viewer)

Who's at fault?

• Car in regular lane that starts to go on a green light despite seeing a car turning in front of him

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Car in left turning lane that is going on a green light, not a green arrow, and should be yielding t

Votes: 51 51.0%
  • Both cars equally

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Both cars, but more fault with green light driver

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Both cars, but more fault with non-green arrow turning driver

Votes: 15 15.0%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
Here's the scenario:

It's a 6 lane road. There are 2 lanes on each side for opposing traffic and there are 2 left turning lanes for each direction (effectively 4 lanes in each direction). The road runs north and south. There's a traffic light that has a green turn signal for the 2 left turn lanes. Once the green arrow is gone, it's a green light so that you can still turn but must yield to oncoming traffic.

Because the left turn arrow is relatively short, it's customary for the south bound traffic to continue to turn once it's gone from a green arrow to just a green light, usually an additional 4-5 cars while the north bound traffic has a green light. Because they are already stopped while waiting for the light to turn green, aside from some honking, the north bound cars have to wait until the additional train of cars turning left ends.

If one of those northbound cars just decided to go when it was green and hits one of the left turning vehicles, whose fault would it be? The northbound car has a green light (been green for at least 5 seconds) and should be able to go but clearly sees there are turning vehicles. The southbound left turning vehicle should not have tried to continue to go as they should be yielding to oncoming traffic when they no longer have a green arrow.

Let's hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the scenario:

It's a 6 lane road. There are 2 lanes on each side for opposing traffic and there are 2 left turning lanes for each direction (effectively 4 lanes in each direction). The road runs north and south. There's a traffic light that has a green turn signal for the 2 left turn lanes. Once the green arrow is gone, it's a green light so that you can still turn but must yield to oncoming traffic.

Because the left turn arrow is relatively short, it's customary for the south bound traffic to continue to turn once it's gone from a green arrow to just a green light, usually an additional 4-5 cars while the north bound traffic has a green light. Because they are already stopped while waiting for the light to turn green, aside from some honking, the north bound cars have to wait until the additional train of cars turning left ends.

If one of those northbound cars just decided to go when it was green and hits one of the left turning vehicles, whose fault would it be? The northbound car has a green light and should be able to go but clearly sees there are turning vehicles. The southbound left turning vehicle should not have tried to continue to go as they should be yielding to oncoming traffic when they no longer have a green arrow.

Let's hear it.
north has right of way. car turning left is at fault.

I hit a guy who did this. I was coming up to a red light and was slowing down. Light turned gree when I was doing like 25 mph and about 500 ft from the light. The turn lanes in my scenario turn to red so no turn on simple green.

A guy ran the red arrow and turned in front of me. I was plenty of distance away so he completed his turn about 1 second before I got into the intersection. As I got into the intersection (going prob 25) the guy BEHIND the truck that blew the red arrow (and had completely turned in front of me) went for it. I never saw him flying up the turn lane and nailed his front right bumper (he was at a 45 when I hit him and was ####### flying). Totaled my Escape. He was driving a Silverado.

Cops didn't declare fault. They couldn't understand why I was traveling into the intersection at that speed if I saw the previous cars turning illegally. But I hadn't been stopped at the red. I was traveling with speed when the light turned green and I timed my entry based on the one turner.

Here's the scenario:

If one of those northbound cars just decided to go when it was green and hits one of the left turning vehicles, whose fault would it be? The northbound car has a green light and should be able to go but clearly sees there are turning vehicles. The southbound left turning vehicle should not have tried to continue to go as they should be yielding to oncoming traffic when they no longer have a green arrow.

Let's hear it.
Even if north driver is at a stop, sees the turning car, and intentionally plows into him just because he has the right of way?

Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.
Even if north driver is at a stop, sees the turning car, and intentionally plows into him just because he has the right of way?
This is what the cops in my scenario basically assumed (despite my pleading to the contrary). Based on their faulty assumption they didn't declare fault.

So what you are essentially saying is, the northbound car hit the turning car on purpose. If that is the case, I find it hard to believe they are not at fault regardless of right of way.

If a car is parked illegally you still don't have the right to run into it.

so just because #######s try and beat the light and are wrong you shouldn't hit them.

my #### move when I had my truck was as soon as I got green I would go but would stop in the intersection just near the turning car :bag:

mr roboto said:
I hit a guy who did this. I was coming up to a red light and was slowing down. Light turned gree when I was doing like 25 mph and about 500 ft from the light. The turn lanes in my scenario turn to red so no turn on simple green.

A guy ran the red arrow and turned in front of me. I was plenty of distance away so he completed his turn about 1 second before I got into the intersection. As I got into the intersection (going prob 25) the guy BEHIND the truck that blew the red arrow (and had completely turned in front of me) went for it. I never saw him flying up the turn lane and nailed his front right bumper (he was at a 45 when I hit him and was ####### flying). Totaled my Escape. He was driving a Silverado.

Cops didn't declare fault. They couldn't understand why I was traveling into the intersection at that speed if I saw the previous cars turning illegally. But I hadn't been stopped at the red. I was traveling with speed when the light turned green and I timed my entry based on the one turner.
so you hit the intersection 25 right when or very shortly after the light changed. Sound like this is a no fault to me as well. What happens if you miss time this, would you be on your brakes avoiding the car turning left. Yes it is a Richard move going after the arrow. Hitting a car turning when you should have been proceeding cautiously is also a Richard move...unless the guy you hit was way behind the car in front of home sounds like you got what you deserved for driving so aggressively.

mr roboto said:

so you hit the intersection 25 right when or very shortly after the light changed. Sound like this is a no fault to me as well. What happens if you miss time this, would you be on your brakes avoiding the car turning left. Yes it is a Richard move going after the arrow. Hitting a car turning when you should have been proceeding cautiously is also a Richard move...unless the guy you hit was way behind the car in front of home sounds like you got what you deserved for driving so aggressively.
I was 500 ft from intersection when light turned green. The guy I hit was like the 4th to blow the red, and came barreling into intersection after the 3rd car to blow the red. I timed my entry to avoid what I thought was the last guy who ran the red. Never saw the guy who I hit coming down the turn lane at all (road curved a bit there). So guy I hit ENTERED intersection good 2-3 full seconds after my light turned green.

gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.
Incorrect.

brohans you have to lookout when you are entering an intersection that is a law on the books in wisconsin so if you see a car turning and you say well gee whiz bromigos i have the green so i get to smack in to him you are first off a total laroosh and second you are probably getting a ticket for failing to stop for a vehicle you saw and decided to hit long story short you do not get to just drive around like a robot saying a sign say go so i went to hell with everyone else what if the guy turning was a jaywalker do you get to run them over of course not this is dumb take that to teh bank brohans

If the north bound car hit the car turning left on purpose to make a point, he should be at fault for the collision (it's not an accident in this scenario). But the stragglers and their cars turning left several seconds after the arrow disappears are a ####.

Don't insurance companies establish percentages in cases like this? I'd be generous and put it at 50/50. Someone breaking the rules of the road is no excuse not to exercise common sense and good judgment behind the wheel.

By the way, I go through one intersection every morning where this happens. Left turners in the opposite direction are trying to get to the highway on ramp and they pretty much use the safety of numbers to keep their stream of cars going until someone who's not a ##### decides to obey the light. Pretty much have to sit there and wait. Sometimes I let my car inch forward to dissuade the next guy, but no way I'm going far enough to get clipped. Too many drivers are bat#### crazy and it's not worth the misery of an accident for me to make a point.

Northbound car with the arrow is at fault IMO.

We have these fd up driving signs and lights all over the place around here, you really shouldn't even proceed on a green because cars are still flying through the yellows. We also have an intersection where it's regular to have the ROW turning left while the other direction has a stop sign. Everyone knows you have to keep your eye out going both ways, neither car is favored, you have to wait until all traffic is passed, not just blare through an area with moving cars in it.

We have some of the highest car insurance rates in the nation around here by the way. Every year (it seems) the insurance companies publish a survey of the 10 or so most crash-prone intersections, always interesting. We have a few (2-3) of the most crash-prone intersections in the country I think.

Cjw_55106 said:
So what you are essentially saying is, the northbound car hit the turning car on purpose. If that is the case, I find it hard to believe they are not at fault regardless of right of way.
It's up to the car turning at that point to yield. He disregarded his obligation to yield and just went hoping that nobody would hit him. They're both #######s, but the turner should be at fault legally.

gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

If one of those northbound cars just decided to go when it was green and hits one of the left turning vehicles, whose fault would it be? The northbound car has a green light (been green for at least 5 seconds) and should be able to go but clearly sees there are turning vehicles. The southbound left turning vehicle should not have tried to continue to go as they should be yielding to oncoming traffic when they no longer have a green arrow.

Let's hear it.
The northbound car. If one of the turning cars is already in the midst of the turn and in the intersection they have the right of way at that point. But it depends on a lot of specific facts you didn't give. If the northbound car hit the turning car in the passenger door, fault is with the northbound car. If they hit head on, it's going to be interesting. IF the turning car hit the northbound car in the driver side door the turning car is going to be at fault.

And yes the insurance companies will have a field day with this.

So u guys are telling me I can just start turning whenever I want and the northbound car would be at fault. I'm going to start doing this.

So u guys are telling me I can just start turning whenever I want and the northbound car would be at fault. I'm going to start doing this.
Just make sure you are out far enough so they hit you in the passenger side and not the front. :drive:

gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.
This

In California, the driver making the left would be at fault for failure to yield to oncoming traffic.

I love the argument, though, that it's ok to break the law as long as you were there first. "Officer, aren't traffic laws and lights more or less just recommendations? I mean, as long as I know I can make it and I get to the spot first, I'm good. The other guy should have seen me despite his green light."

gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.
The northbound car. If one of the turning cars is already in the midst of the turn and in the intersection they have the right of way at that point. But it depends on a lot of specific facts you didn't give. If the northbound car hit the turning car in the passenger door, fault is with the northbound car. If they hit head on, it's going to be interesting. IF the turning car hit the northbound car in the driver side door the turning car is going to be at fault. And yes the insurance companies will have a field day with this.
Yeah. A lot of variables left out.

Obviously, the car turning left can't just stay in the middle of the intersection if he's already entered it. He's got to clear it eventually.

If the northbound car hit any part of the side of the turning car, northbound car is "more" at fault because he had the easier option to avoid the collision... waiting until traffic was clear.

"Green" doesn't mean floor it as soon as the light comes on. Your path has to be clear first.
I would ram a mother ####er if he ever ran a red and I was north bound. Thank god in Texas we don't have ######ed street laws like some of you.

gianmarco said:
gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.
that's the visual here and the north driver clearly had the last chance to avoid the collision. His fault.

Doesn't excuse the dip#### turning when he should yield, but that's worthy of a ticket, not the cause of the accident.

gianmarco said:
gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.
that's the visual here and the north driver clearly had the last chance to avoid the collision. His fault.

Doesn't excuse the dip#### turning when he should yield, but that's worthy of a ticket, not the cause of the accident.
Sure it is. That's the purpose of those laws that result in tickets. If you fail to follow them, you may cause an accident.

The driver violating the traffic laws is the cause of the accident. Had he not made an illegal left turn, then the accident does not occur. A driver obeying the traffic signals and not blocking traffic behind him would not be an intervening action breaking the chain of causation.

Otherwise, why wouldn't drivers who are right behind other drivers going through intersections just continue to go on red lights and when they need to yield? If you ride the ### of the driver in front of you, the drivers with the right of way will always have a car blocking their path and have the "last chance" to avoid an accident.

mr roboto said:

They sound like morons.

gianmarco said:
gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.

Sure it is. That's the purpose of those laws that result in tickets. If you fail to follow them, you may cause an accident.

The driver violating the traffic laws is the cause of the accident. Had he not made an illegal left turn, then the accident does not occur. A driver obeying the traffic signals and not blocking traffic behind him would not be an intervening action breaking the chain of causation.

Otherwise, why wouldn't drivers who are right behind other drivers going through intersections just continue to go on red lights and when they need to yield? If you ride the ### of the driver in front of you, the drivers with the right of way will always have a car blocking their path and have the "last chance" to avoid an accident.
They do around here. It's a pain in the ### but I have yet to see one of these drivers get hit by another car who punches it as soon as they see green.

I honestly don't know how you can pin this on a car with the right-of-way unless he's just flat out hitting someone on purpose...not sure if that's the intent here or not. If it is, my apologies, but that's kind of irrational. There is an expectation that when the light turns green, you get to go. I agree with GDogg that if you don't have that expectation, the left-turning traffic would just keep going on and on and on.

I have an intersection like this on my way home, and every time, the cars turning left just keep going until the guy going straight mans up and goes. You basically have to play chicken with them to get them to stop because the traffic turning left usually sits for a while and gets impatient. I've basically come nose-to-nose with someone trying to turn several times. I won't hit them, but I try my darndest to make them think I would, while blaring my horn and flashing my lights, becuase they thought they could beat me across. Tailing the car in front of you as the arrow goes from yellow to just yield/green is one thing, entering the intersection to make a turn well after the green arrow is done and just assuming that you can get through b/c somebody won't hit you is another. Major doosh move.

gianmarco said:
gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.

They do around here. It's a pain in the ### but I have yet to see one of these drivers get hit by another car who punches it as soon as they see green.
Exactly - They do it here too. It doesn't make it legal. I'm very often the car that punches it as soon as I see green...not because I want to hit someone, but because until you commit to moving, they keep coming.

gianmarco said:
gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.

Just because they do it doesn't make it legal.

I honestly don't know how you can pin this on a car with the right-of-way unless he's just flat out hitting someone on purpose...not sure if that's the intent here or not. If it is, my apologies, but that's kind of irrational. There is an expectation that when the light turns green, you get to go. I agree with GDogg that if you don't have that expectation, the left-turning traffic would just keep going on and on and on.

I have an intersection like this on my way home, and every time, the cars turning left just keep going until the guy going straight mans up and goes. You basically have to play chicken with them to get them to stop because the traffic turning left usually sits for a while and gets impatient. I've basically come nose-to-nose with someone trying to turn several times. I won't hit them, but I try my darndest to make them think I would, while blaring my horn and flashing my lights, becuase they thought they could beat me across. Tailing the car in front of you as the arrow goes from yellow to just yield/green is one thing, entering the intersection to make a turn well after the green arrow is done and just assuming that you can get through b/c somebody won't hit you is another. Major doosh move.
This is exactly the situation. Now, let's say, while playing chicken, you actually hit their car (even if accidental). Who is at fault?

This is exactly the situation. Now, let's say, while playing chicken, you actually hit their car (even if accidental). Who is at fault?
They are. If this ever happened to me, the only thing I would tell the officer is that I had a green light, and they turned right into my path whenI had the right-of-way. Period. That's it. The other guy can say whatever he wants about how fast I took off. He can't really deny the fact that he ran through the light because the officer could plainly see the order of sequence for the lights.

gianmarco said:
gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.

never said otherwise.

Doesn't excuse the dip#### turning when he should yield, but that's worthy of a ticket, not the cause of the accident
but an act being illegal doesn't make it the cause of the accident.

FWIW, I voted both are at fault. One should have yielded, the other should have not driven into the other car.

They are. If this ever happened to me, the only thing I would tell the officer is that I had a green light, and they turned right into my path whenI had the right-of-way. Period. That's it. The other guy can say whatever he wants about how fast I took off. He can't really deny the fact that he ran through the light because the officer could plainly see the order of sequence for the lights.
the cop isn't there, are the other witnesses going to give statements? Are you sure everyone will support your story when you're the only one who hit a car.

Doesn't excuse the dip#### turning when he should yield, but that's worthy of a ticket, not the cause of the accident

FWIW, I voted both are at fault. One should have yielded, the other should have not driven into the other car.
In some cases, I agree with you...but typically that's when both people did something illegal. i.e. Car A was speeding and hit Car B making an illegal turn. In this case, the one car simply drove through a green light when they had the right-of-way. The other car was the only one doing something illegal. The whole "who hit who" thing is extremely circumstantial. The only fact is that one car had the right-of-way, and the other should've yielded.

the cop isn't there, are the other witnesses going to give statements? Are you sure everyone will support your story when you're the only one who hit a car.
How could anyone but the first car at the light hit a car?

Cops rarely witness accidents. Many accidents are not witnessed. I get what you're saying, but if you were a cop coming up on a scene where a car turning left was hit by a car going straight, who would you think would be at fault? Honestly. How many times does a car turning get hit by a car coming straight where it's the car going straight, with the right-of-way's fault?

Cops rarely witness accidents. Many accidents are not witnessed. I get what you're saying, but if you were a cop coming up on a scene where a car turning left was hit by a car going straight, who would you think would be at fault? Honestly. How many times does a car turning get hit by a car coming straight where it's the car going straight, with the right-of-way's fault?
There are two lanes headed north.

Maybe there were only cars in that one northern lane but it sounds like there is more traffic, presumably there were cars in both lanes, only one of which went and hit the other car.

As for the cop - who would I think is at fault? Probably exactly what happened to our robot friend.

mr roboto said:

Cjw_55106 said:
It's up to the car turning at that point to yield. He disregarded his obligation to yield and just went hoping that nobody would hit him. They're both #######s, but the turner should be at fault legally.
You can't just hit the turning car intentionally.What if he had started to make the turn when the light was green but his car stalled in the intersection? When the light turns are you allowed to plow into him because you have the green light?

Cjw_55106 said:
You can't just hit the turning car intentionally.What if he had started to make the turn when the light was green but his car stalled in the intersection? When the light turns are you allowed to plow into him because you have the green light?
apparently if there was an elderly man crossing on the "Don't Walk" sign, it's okay to run him over.

but not the dog. always save the dog.

gianmarco said:
gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.

never said otherwise.

Sure it does. Outside of showing some sort of violation of the vehicle code by the other driver, then it's a negligence per se and is the cause of the accident.

An often quoted phrase in court decisions, "“As the plaintiff had the right-of-way, she was entitled to anticipate that the defendant would obey the traffic laws which required the defendant to yield to the plaintiff’s vehicle...”

There are two lanes headed north.

Maybe there were only cars in that one northern lane but it sounds like there is more traffic, presumably there were cars in both lanes, only one of which went and hit the other car.

As for the cop - who would I think is at fault? Probably exactly what happened to our robot friend.

mr roboto said:

OK...I think you'd have a harder time with the arguement if you were in the right-most lane, because he would've been in that intersection for a longer time before you hit him.

Bottom line is that, and I'll say it just to be clear, assuming you didn't intentionally hit him (gianmarco's hypothetical "playing chicken" scenario), it's likely going to be his fault because he was the one who had to yield.

gmbacm said:
gianmarco said:
Here's the scenario:

Let's hear it.
Incorrect.
x

The northbound car has the right of way in the intersection, UNLESS the southbound car had already entered the intersection prior to Northbound receiving the green. You must allow the turners to clear the intersection before proceeding.

Cjw_55106 said:
apparently if there was an elderly man crossing on the "Don't Walk" sign, it's okay to run him over.

but not the dog. always save the dog.
This is turning into Zombie Walk part II...

I once had a traffic cop tell me that regardless of right of way and following motoring laws, if you have the ability to prevent a collision and you don't, you can be ticketed. No idea how accurate that is, but if true applies to the chicken player.

edit: yes, you can be ticketed for anything, it's up to the judge. But I don't know what the law says specifically about "failure to prevent". Probably a lot of variance by city and state.

Bottom line is that, and I'll say it just to be clear, assuming you didn't intentionally hit him (gianmarco's hypothetical "playing chicken" scenario), it's likely going to be his fault because he was the one who had to yield.
I'd generally agree, but if you're at a stop and start driving, I'm presuming either (A) you saw what is in front of you and intentionally or recklessly drove into that vehicle or (B) you didn't look where you were driving and negligently operated your vehicle.

I once had a traffic cop tell me that regardless of right of way and following motoring laws, if you have the ability to prevent a collision and you don't, you can be ticketed. No idea how accurate that is, but if true applies to the chicken player.
Keep in mind, it takes two to tang....er...play chicken.

This is one of those highly circumstantial things that a cop probably says. I don't know of many people who would intentionally cause a collision. I'm not saying people don't do things that might increase their odds of a collision (speeding, squeaking through yellows, etc.) but I don't know anyone who would intentionally cause a collision.

At the end of the day, the BEST the car turning left can do is claim joint fault. There's no way he's getting by without some of the blame if he entered the intersection after the arrow turned.

Users who are viewing this thread