What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hockey/Soccer Guys: .....Why an "offsides" rule? (1 Viewer)

Stinkin Ref

IBL Representative
I'm not a real big fan of either of these sports, but maybe I would be if there wasn't this one rule.

Both of these sports could use more run here in the USA, and let's be honest, scoring is at a premium in these sports and in general, more scoring means more viewers/fans/interest.

I realize this rule creates a more strategical game in some ways, but it can be boring. Many times, you take away the possibility of the most exciting play in either sport....the breakaway.

If a team wants to cherry pick....let em do so.....there is strategy in that too....they take a chance with one less defender, etc.

I can't tell you how many of the few times I have actually watched one of these sports, that I start to rise up and pay attention when I see that a possible breakaway is imminent..... only to feel that punch in the gut disappointment as a team is called for offsides and I slump back down into my couch.

Please tell me why I should appreciate the lines and the offsides calls more.....

I say do away with all the lines.....drop the puck/ball and get after it....

just sayin.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell you how many of the few times I have actually watched one of these sports, that I start to rise up and pay attention when I see that a possible breakaway is imminent..... only to feel that punch in the gut disappointment as a team is called for offsides and I slump back down into my couch.
there is strategy in that too

If you eliminated offsides in soccer, it would probably have a negative effect on scoring. Without the rule teams would have to keep defenders deeper - negating the advantage of a cherry-picker, and also reducing their own scoring chances by keeping defenders out of the play.

Your statement that the breakaway is the most exciting part of either sport is probably why you don't like them.

If you eliminated offsides in soccer, it would probably have a negative effect on scoring. Without the rule teams would have to keep defenders deeper - negating the advantage of a cherry-picker, and also reducing their own scoring chances by keeping defenders out of the play.
This also applies to hockey.

Perhaps if 80% of the game time in hockey and soccer was watching the clock tick, they would hold your attention as much as football.

I agree with the concept that soccer scoring would actually decrease if offsides were abandoned. The game would spread out considerably as teams would keep forwards closer to the opponent's net and their own defenders close to their own net. Midfielders would be totally gassed from covering the extra ground that their defenders/forwards will no longer cover, which would lead to sloppier play in the midfield, lots of giveaways and "Route 1" direct long-ball soccer.

The offsides rule as it works now helps to keep the game more compact and encourages teams to attack collectively rather than individually. It makes for a more fluid, prettier, higher-quality product. If the breakaway is your favorite part of the sport, I'm not really sure what else to say other than that soccer probably isn't for you. And that's ok.

NBA and college basketball should eliminate the half court line. Before the shot clock was used, I guess I can see some reason to force the ball to one half but now it's pointless. Why be concerned with this over-and-back nonsense?

Soccer is a very low scoring sport but hockey is not.

The NHL is averaging roughly 5.5 goals per game this season : http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSAAAll&sort=avgGoalsPerGame&viewName=summary

The NFL roughly averaged 4.7 td's per game in 2014 : http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/touchdowns-per-game/2014/

Ironically, it is soccer players who have helped push NFL overall scoring higher with the incredibly accurateness of the kickers the past couple of decades.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kickers-are-forever/

I think soccer should implement an offside line.
Already have one
i meant a real line at like 35 yards ...not a floating bull#### line
I have heard some people advocating for no offsides in soccer once you have possession inside the 18. (but that wouldn't pertain to breakaways so much)

Personally, the only offsides change I would make is that if you're even, you're on. None of this "the attackers right leg was past the last defender". Basically, you need to see green between last defender and the offensive player*. same idea as hockey where if any part of you can still touch a sliver of the blue line, you're on.

*Yes, I know it's technically second to last defender but I don't count the keeper in my mind.

Already have one
I have heard some people advocating for no offsides in soccer once you have possession inside the 18. (but that wouldn't pertain to breakaways so much)

Personally, the only offsides change I would make is that if you're even, you're on. None of this "the attackers right leg was past the last defender". Basically, you need to see green between last defender and the offensive player*. same idea as hockey where if any part of you can still touch a sliver of the blue line, you're on.

*Yes, I know it's technically second to last defender but I don't count the keeper in my mind.
Has this changed recently? Even has always been on

Your statement that the breakaway is the most exciting part of either sport is probably why you don't like them.
ok ...I'll bite....besides fighting...please tell me some things in either sport that are more exciting.....

I admit I don't "appreciate" some of the smaller nuisances and great little things about the game, but please tell me some things that are more exciting than a breakaway so I can look for them next time and see what I'm missing....

Already have one

Even is onside is the rule today but it was not always the rule.

Even was offside until the rule changed in the early 90's.

99/100 breakaways in hockey come when the offensive player is beating the defense through the neutral zone. Eliminating offsides in hockey isn't going to increase the frequency of them.

really not trying to focus on "breakaways"....merely thinking the games might be more fun to watch if there is no offsides......

it would create a totally different mindset of stratagies

Already have one
I have heard some people advocating for no offsides in soccer once you have possession inside the 18. (but that wouldn't pertain to breakaways so much).
FIFA actually experimented with this rule change during a youth WC years ago but nothing came to fruition from the experiment.

and in hockey isn't there even a worse rule about a two line offsides pass or something which also limits some things

Already have one

What I'm talking about is the attacker's lead leg is past the defender and the back leg is even. Currently that is offsides.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_11_offside_en_47383.pdf

My suggestion is IF ANY PART of the attacker is even, he's on. You need to see open field between any part of the attacker and defender.

Already have one

What I'm talking about is the attacker's lead leg is past the defender and the back leg is even. Currently that is offsides.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_11_offside_en_47383.pdf

My suggestion is IF ANY PART of the attacker is even, he's on. You need to see open field between any part of the attacker and defender.
I would welcome that change.

Already have one

I like this idea.

And 2 line pass in hockey has been gone a long time :lmao:

really not trying to focus on "breakaways"....merely thinking the games might be more fun to watch if there is no offsides......

it would create a totally different mindset of stratagies
It would lead to more speculative long balls over the top. I like route one more than the average fan but I wouldn't want to see it 20 times in a game.

Paradoxically, eliminating offside could reduce scoring in soccer. Defending teams would hold defenders back which would reduce the number of attacking options in transition. That might create more space between midfield and the back line but I don't think that would necessarily lead to more goals.

In hockey, the unintended consequence might be more icing calls unless you want to eliminate that too.

agree with the OP

just do away with offsides. It would open the game up and increase scoring, make for a much more exciting overall game to watch.

ok ...I'll bite....besides fighting...please tell me some things in either sport that are more exciting.....

I admit I don't "appreciate" some of the smaller nuisances and great little things about the game, but please tell me some things that are more exciting than a breakaway so I can look for them next time and see what I'm missing....
Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSr1i4AUnYA

Exhibit B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obHwmkYDaTk

Getting rid of offsides in soccer would be like the NFL reducing the number of downs allowed from 4 to 1.

In both cases, you'd end up with two teams punting the ball back and forth waiting for the other one to make a mistake.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B

How about a heads up next time that these were gonna be hockey videos?

positioning and passing

Already have one

I would welcome that change.
I guess i need to review this since I always had the understanding that if you had one foot in your own half you could not be offside. A foot ahead of the defender was not off either as your body had to be ahead.

In either case it moves so fast a call either way probably shouldnt be argued, although i still will

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B

How about a heads up next time that these were gonna be hockey videos?
:confused: What did you expect them to be?

Users who are viewing this thread