What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gary Burghoff (Radar on M*A*S*H) tweets about Alan Alda (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
Whoa

People ask me if Alan Alda is as arrogant sanctimonious & condescending as Hawkeye. That's why he played the part so well. I can't stand him.
Doesn't seem like a very born-again Christian thing to say. :shrug:

- "Frank Thomas in the HOF. I had one encounter with that jerk after a White Sox, Mariners game while I was talking to the M's Jeff Schaefer.

- "I was chatting with Jeff outside the stadium & Frank Thomas shoved me in the back and swore at me because I was standing in front of his cab

:lol:

From wiki:

Covering the conclusion of M*A*S*H for TV Guide in 1983, Burt Prelutsky wrote, "Although nobody wanted to be quoted for the record, the feelings about Gary Burghoff's leaving were fairly unanimous: loved Radar, hated Burghoff. As summed up by one of the principals: 'Gary had personality problems. He always felt there was a conspiracy against him. He was rude to everyone, but if anyone ever said anything back to him, he'd throw a tantrum. He had frequent spats with his cast members, particularly with Alan Alda. Once his other cast member, Mike Farrell told him that his problem was that he could dish it out but he couldn't take it, and Gary said, "And I'm getting real sick and tired of dishing it out." The poor guy didn't even realize what he'd said.'"[6]

Alan Alda being sanctimonious & condescending isnt exactly new news.
The episode where he yelled at Radar about how he is a baby and needs to grow up must have felt SOOOOO good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGZAA_q6CQE
Radar secretly controlled everything, which was the funny part.

But a lot of people on that show had huge egos or thought they could parlay their careers - Trapper John, Henry Blake, Margaret, even Frank,

Larry Lindley (sp?) thought he was a big shot and that the show couldn't work without him, and you know what the show really was funnier with him.

Alan Alda was good on MASH. After MASH, he was the kind guy I would like to run over with my truck.

Larry Lindley (sp?) thought he was a big shot and that the show couldn't work without him, and you know what the show really was funnier with him.
I'm in this camp also, but make no mistake -- we are very much in the minority. Fans of the original cast will fight you to the death over this. And it's not just Charles over Frank for me. I liked B.J. better than Trapper, too. :shrug:

Yeah Alda was known to be a ####, Wayne Rogers has said as much many times and others on that showed called him a "challenge."

I'm in this camp also, but make no mistake -- we are very much in the minority. Fans of the original cast will fight you to the death over this. And it's not just Charles over Frank for me. I liked B.J. better than Trapper, too. :shrug:
I agree and I liked Colonel Potter better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. In all three cases of having to replace a major character - Henry, Frank, and Trapper - while they did a good job with the replacements, especially Harry Morgan as Col. Potter, the originals were all much funnier. And I say that while still considering Henry and Potter two of the best characters.

It really is a show that was two different shows. Much more slapstick with the original cast and much more introspective with the later cast. I like both even though the later years became a little too self-indulgent at times.

So you think Charles over Frank, BJ over Trapper and Potter and Henry were a wash?

Did you even watch the show?

But you are right about Linville, everything I've read says he was the most normal and cool person on the entire cast. You have to remember that when this show was peaking they were pulling NFL-like ratings in today's TV ratings game, they were all HUGE stars.

Agreed. In all three cases of having to replace a major character - Henry, Frank, and Trapper - while they did a good job with the replacements, especially Harry Morgan as Col. Potter, the originals were all much funnier. And I say that while still considering Henry and Potter two of the best characters.
Are we including Hot Lips in this? The "original" Margaret was a ditzy airhead who somehow morphed into a serious military woman who took no #### from anyone and rarely smiled.

So you think Charles over Frank, BJ over Trapper and Potter and Henry were a wash?Did you even watch the show?
Many times. So sorry for having an opinion.

Well, the show overall got much more serious later on, and less funny, and I think Margaret's character taking that turn was merely a part of that.

As for Lindley, I've always heard that in real life he was similar to the Hawkeye character: a jokester, a goofball, and an all-around fun guy.

IMO Henry Blake was the 2nd best character behind Frank Burns. Early Hawkeye was awesome, whiny save the world Hawkeye wasn't.

So you think Charles over Frank, BJ over Trapper and Potter and Henry were a wash?Did you even watch the show?
Many times. So sorry for having an opinion.
Oh stop it. :lmao:

I'm trying to think of a humorous Frank Burns moment.

Maybe sitting in the back of the bus with a chocolate bar, staring up at the stars:

Frank: [into a walkie-talkie] Any allied personnel, if you receive me, here is my position. Ready?

[peers out the window]

There are only about half a dozen stars visible sky-wise. I am directly under the brightest one. Over.

Hawkeye: Terrific, Frank.

B.J.: They'll start searching for us in Bethlehem.

Users who are viewing this thread