What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL NEW YORK JETS 2012 OFFSEASON THREAD*** (1 Viewer)

mjr

Footballguy
Still waiting for Rex& Co. to actually do something to improve both sides of the ball here. Schilens isn't going to fill Plax's cleats, not that Plaxico is all that great of a loss IMO. I don't think Sanchez needs another 3 years to develop. I think we've seen what he's got to offer. The safety position is virtually non-existant. And I think the jury is still out on Shonn Greene.

Will Kerley step it up? Is Mcknight ready to take over for Thomlinson if he leaves? Plenty of unanswered questions here. But one thing I do know: I can guarantee were not winning no Superbowl with this roster.

Current Events:

- Thomlinson mulls future with Jets.

- Free agent SS LaRon Landry visits.

- Brandon Meriweather scheduled to visit.

- S Brodney Pool signs w/ Cowboys.

- S Jim Leonhard becomes FA. May not return.

- CB Antonio Cromartie hints he may move to Safety.

- OLB Jamaal Westerman signs w/ MIA.

- Bart Scott on the trading block. No takers yet.

- Plaxico wants to play with M. Vick.

- Signed backup QB Drew Stanton (DET 1 yr/$1.25M) & WR Chaz Schilens (OAK 1 yr/$765,000).

- Experss interest in BAL ILB Jameel McClain.

- Pass on Manning. Give Sanchez 3 yr. Extention.

- Sanchez & Holmes kiss and make up.

- Nose Tackle Sione Pouha signs 3 yr extention.

- WR Cotchery may return.

The Jets have a limited cap number and a lot of holes to fill. They weren't getting Mario Williams, they can't afford one of the big name tackles, and with the money guys like Garcon and VJax got I don't feel too bad about not spending on a big name WR. I'm not going to kill them for not overspending on one position. I'm fine with Schillins and Stanton, I like them both talent wise as value signings but neither is the full answer at their spots. They still need to secure a 3rd QB and there is no way they are counting on Schillens to be the #2 guy for a full season when they basically gave him league minimum because of his injury history. I don't expect a big name WR, though as I've said i'd love to have Edwards back at a decent price. He had chemistry with Sanchez, he knows the offense, and with him, Holmes, Kerley, Keller, and Schillens there wouldn't be excuses about targets for Sanchez. They need to add depth to the WR corps either way though. I also heard Donnie Avery today. :mellow:

Safety is the big priority it seems and that is proving to be the hardest to fill. When Nelson resigned it continued a trend of talented safeties being retained. People aren't parting with them. I think once the Jets sign 1 or 2 safeties, of whatever talent level, you will see the rest of their dominoes fall. I don't think LT2 will be back so expect a RB to be added. That's probably the easiest as the market for RBs has been pretty dry and they can likely get someone decent at a good price. I'm willing to be patient and let them work their plan, but my biggest concern is going into the season with Smith/Leonard at Safety again and Hunter at RT. The latter now more than ever knowing Mario Williams will line up at LE against them twice this year. If they can even moderately improve those two positions i'll be content to let the draft and the season play out hoping for better results this year and better luck with injuries too. When people look at the 2011 Jets season WAY too much is put on Sanchez (and Holmes). He needs to play better, but losing Mangold during a crucial 3 game stretch in the beginning of the season put them behind the 8-ball, especially after losing Turner pre-season.

They still need to draft a fs that has big time coverage potential.
They are really going to have to kick the tires on Mark Barron and get a feel for where they can draft him...Maybe trade back in the 1st or up from the 2nd.With the emergence of these monster TE's it just seems like there is an incredible lack of talent at the Safety position all over the NFL.So far in FA, IMO, the realistic Guys we didn't get are Henne and Nelson... Personally would have liked to see Gallery.

They still need to draft a fs that has big time coverage potential.
They are really going to have to kick the tires on Mark Barron and get a feel for where they can draft him...Maybe trade back in the 1st or up from the 2nd.With the emergence of these monster TE's it just seems like there is an incredible lack of talent at the Safety position all over the NFL.So far in FA, IMO, the realistic Guys we didn't get are Henne and Nelson... Personally would have liked to see Gallery.
Nelson and Gallery would have been nice.

RT, WR and FS screaming needs right now.....figure they have enough room for 1 in FA and then the other 2 in the draft. I see playmaker WR in the 1st and best OT in the 2d rd.

RT, WR and FS screaming needs right now.....figure they have enough room for 1 in FA and then the other 2 in the draft. I see playmaker WR in the 1st and best OT in the 2d rd.
1) Sign Braylon Edwards2) TRADE DOWN!!!!! - Draft Mark Barron / Pass Rusher AND an OT all in the 2nd round, possibly early 1st.IMO NFL drafts have a lot of OL value in round 2.3) Draft a WR in round 3.. Been hearing a lot about the depth of the WR class and how much WR value is past round 3. Take advantage of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Sign Braylon Edwards2) TRADE DOWN!!!!! - Draft Mark Barron / Pass Rusher AND an OT all in the 2nd round, possibly early 1st.IMO NFL drafts have a lot of OL value in round 2.3) Draft a WR in round 3.. Been hearing a lot about the depth of the WR class and how much WR value is past round 3. Take advantage of this.
I would tend to agree with most of this, but I'm not sure how far Baron is going to fall when the talent pool at safety both in FA and in the draft is so shallow. I don't think they can trade down too far and still expect to get him.

Hey ladies,

Here are a couple of tidbits about our Jets...I was getting nostalgic for the bumbling of the 70s-90s....

As per Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jets have discussed trading for Tim Tebow, "even if it's considered a longshot."

The wording is interesting in the light of a Monday report from ESPN New York that the chances of the Jets aggressively pursuing Tebow are "a long shot at best." It sounds like the Jets brass, beaten by Tebow in a dramatic finish last season, have at least kicked the idea around internally.

Related: Jets

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

The Jets have reportedly expressed interest in free agent RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

It appears the Jets are Green-Ellis' "mystery team." However, the New York Post reports Gang Green's interest is "preliminary," and "nothing is imminent." Green-Ellis would be an interesting signing for a "ground and pound" team that nevertheless had trouble grinding out tough yards in 2011, but wouldn't be a suitable replacement for free agent third-down back LaDainian Tomlinson despite his skill in pass protection. BJGE has just 26 career catches.

Related: Jets

Source: New York Post

Also heard some talk of Addai being a fit for pass protection/receiving; sort of a temp stop gap to fill out Thomlinson's role.

Eh.

But I wouldn't mind having BGE come to play. Id rather see that and have the Jets address the Defensive side with the first few draft picks then to see them go RB in the 2nd/3rd.

Tebow rumors picking up steam - talk of him being dealt for a 5th rder...I find it hard to believe JAx would not beat that...I would go as high as a 4th rder for him...would be a great wildcat addition in Sporanos O - though the circus that would be with him may be an issue...the guy in the right role can help this team more than a 4th rder IMO

Elway could give him a choice, in which case I think any QB would rather sign somewhere he has the best shot to start, which for Tebow, isn't in NY.

No to Tebow. That would be exactly what we don't need
We dont need a playmaker that can create things on the field? I'm envisioning him in the Brad Smith role which is something the team lacked last year. Also would be an upgrade at backup QB from Stanton....For a 4th rd pick....I dont see how its a bad move

classic jets right here....what a circus...
IMO, it's 80% media driven... Just to many Mediots in this market so, when you have a Tebow type story it blows out of proportion....Heck, the Giants were a circus that needed to fire Coughlin in week 11 last year and needed to fire Eli AND Coughlin the last time they won the SB....All part of the fun in New York IMO, and also a reason some player would never want to play here...CIRCUS = MEDIA.

Can't compare tebow to Brad smith. Smith was a wr , return man and special teams ace who just happened to have some qb experience.

Tebow is a qb who brings a media circus to a team that doesn't need any more of that. First Sanchez loss and idiots will be calling for Jesus.

It also means wasted money on drew Stanton and probably losing long term backup McElroy, who would not make it through waivers if the jets tried to send him to the practice squad.

Plus tebow's contract probably takes up all of the little cap space we have left

Did any of you guys watch the Jets/Denver game? For a 4th rd pick I'll take the guy that shredded our "vaunted D" in crunchtime as a WC QB....If it bothers Sanchez then he needs to sack up....the Packers were interested for crying out loud....we really missed that Brad smith dimension last year...I like the idea as long as its a 4th rder or higher. Jets are a media circus regardless...might as well get a playmaker in the deal.

Can't compare tebow to Brad smith. Smith was a wr , return man and special teams ace who just happened to have some qb experience. Tebow is a qb who brings a media circus to a team that doesn't need any more of that. First Sanchez loss and idiots will be calling for Jesus. It also means wasted money on drew Stanton and probably losing long term backup McElroy, who would not make it through waivers if the jets tried to send him to the practice squad. Plus tebow's contract probably takes up all of the little cap space we have left
Maybe Sanchez needs more competition than a 50 yr old Brunnel and underwhelming Stanton. Again I dont see it as competition for Sanchez but a playmaker in the WC...the team doesnt have anyone right now that can break open a play and go the distance...Tebow can do that...for a 4th rder? No brainer IMO

The jets defense sucked last year and that drive was exceptionally lucky. If the jets don't whif on the tackle on the screen pass that started it, it's a safety and the game is over.

Don't want

He automatically becomes competition for Sanchez regardless of whether or not that's what the jets want.

The media will be on it nonstop all season

I'll just copy this here as well... UGGGHH!!!!!Whole thing pisses me off and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the jets never said a damn thing and it's all NY Media driven... Whatever sells papers!!!!!

Competition for Sanchez?The Hourglass is almost out of sand... The Clock has almost struck 12...I don't get this "Competition" ####!!!!!!!!How much more competition does a man need than knowing that his entire career is ticking away and he's 2 years away from being a Color Comentator. There is no competition greater than that.At this point, you let Sanchez try to be an NFL QB with a full offseason and supporting cast for a year maybe 2 and then cut ties... No Gimmick offense is going to help you figure out if you have an NFL QB or not....Tebow would give Sanchez less clout in the locker room and give cause for fans and NY Media to continue the charade for Tebow every time Sanchez has a mistep....Eli was allowed to throw like 5 INTS against Minny the year he won his 1st SB....NY Media and Giant fans were Completely Done with Eli!! And With Tebow in the wings Eli probably never becomes the QB he is today. That's not competition, that's Gimmick Football that stifles the growth rate of your QB if you have any faith at all in him becoming something....I'm hoping the Talk of the Jets interest at all is part of the NY Media #### ##### #####... Because otherwise just cut Sanchez now! and that has nothing to do with Sanchez's feelings or manhood - it has to do with the NY Jets and how you develop and stand behind a real NFL Quarterback. 0

The jets defense sucked last year and that drive was exceptionally lucky. If the jets don't whif on the tackle on the screen pass that started it, it's a safety and the game is over. Don't want
I'll take some of that luck with the Jets....Tebow seemed to get lucky an awful lot last year...we are talking about a 4th rder here from what I have seen....just dont get the downside! I belive the Jets see it as getting the next Brad Smith who can throw better not the next franchise QB.

Rather trade for a WR, OL, S or even a RB before a backup QB. Too many holes on this team.

Rather trade for a WR, OL, S or even a RB before a backup QB. Too many holes on this team.
He's not primarily backup QB - he would be the WC QB ala Brad Smith and have an immediate impact on the offense
Kiddnets,I think you are correct in the respect that the Jets could use a playmaker, regardless of position. Personally, I feel Sanchez requires a kick in the tail, as can be witnessed by how he played his rookie year after the 5INT game, and how last year he responded to Rex's public questioning of his abilities. I see it as a win-win for the Jets; either Sanchez plays better or they replace him with someone that is better. I would have gone with a different QB, but Tebow is unique in that he can handle the pressure and he brings a new look to the division (though the Pats had their way with him on a roughly equally talented team, sans O-Line). Either way, Sanchez needs competition and the Jets need a backup regardless.

I'll just copy this here as well... UGGGHH!!!!!Whole thing pisses me off and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the jets never said a damn thing and it's all NY Media driven... Whatever sells papers!!!!!
I'm really starting to dislike Manish Mehta. All the garbage this offseason has started with him siting "unnamed sources." The Sanchez bashing, the "Go get Manning" and now this Tebow mess. I get it, people say stuff and he reports it to sell papers/subscriptions, etc... It just smells to me though. Between him and Rich Cimini I can barely stand to read Jet reports, it's all so damn negative all the time.

He's not primarily backup QB - he would be the WC QB ala Brad Smith and have an immediate impact on the offense
Personally, I feel Sanchez requires a kick in the tail... Sanchez needs competition and the Jets need a backup regardless.
I agree, but if they really wanted to bring competition in and to give Sanchez a kick in the butt, they should have never given him a 3 year extention and then brought in a guy like Stanton to hold a clipboard. They should have gone in a different direction. Maybe had Alex Smith in for a visit just to make a point at least.

I'm really starting to dislike Manish Mehta. All the garbage this offseason has started with him siting "unnamed sources." The Sanchez bashing, the "Go get Manning" and now this Tebow mess. I get it, people say stuff and he reports it to sell papers/subscriptions, etc... It just smells to me though. Between him and Rich Cimini I can barely stand to read Jet reports, it's all so damn negative all the time.
I have a lot more repect for the "Draftniks" and scouts in the media, the guys who watch tape and really study and know the game of football... These guys and gals that cover teams are morons IMO... They, steal, copy, cut and paste and are like roaches looking for the next "Story" that will generate interest wether it's true or not...if I was one of these rats, I could generate a story any time that would fit my agenda and I'm pretty sure I could get a player to say something i can slant my way every time - Take Cromartie for instance.IMO, Twitter is really exposing them for what they are.. You can see how the news and stories break and how they scatter like roaches to get their write ups in....I remember when Arod came to NY and right away the NY press started with the "CAN AROD EVER BE A TRUE YANKEE" stuff and IMO created a whole Arod Vs Jeter and fans taking sides then fans booing Arod atmosphere.. And THEN they turn around and point to the fans and how can they do such things.... This Tebow thing is perfect NY Media Crap....

Can Tebow play free safety? Right tackle? Left guard? Does he have some unknown pass rushing ability? If the answer is yes to any of these questions wake me up and let me know. Until then Tebow is just a distraction that would hurt this team. I prefer Stanton as a back up, and am perfectly happy with Kerley and McKnight running the wild cat

Can Tebow play free safety? Right tackle? Left guard? Does he have some unknown pass rushing ability? If the answer is yes to any of these questions wake me up and let me know. Until then Tebow is just a distraction that would hurt this team. I prefer Stanton as a back up, and am perfectly happy with Kerley and McKnight running the wild cat
Unfortunately, it is too late to find a Tackle and pass rusher. We have a FS in Cromartie...time for Wilson to grab some sack and play the role he was drafted for a 1st rounder...Revis, Wilson, Cro and Landry should be one of the best backfields ever based on pedigree. We really need a playmaker on offense...I don't care if he is the RT at this rate, but the team needs someone to motivate Sanchez and someone who can move chains...in this case, they come in the same package. I am not a huge fan, but I don't see a downside.

After 20 years, I'm done.
I'm ILL. I'm at a Low as a Jets fan that I can't remember since Pre-Parcells (1997)And IMO the Saddest part if it all is that I think Rex Ryan is an amazing COACH... Problem is, Right off the bat i never would have drafted Sanchez especially for a "Win Now" North East Football team...I was ALL-IN for Rex up until now.But, He has to take a lot of the blame for the off the field decisions - Mostly Sanchez and now Tebow but, overall His Drafts have been complete Train Wrecks.I at least held out some hope For Sanchez now in year 4 IF - Given Good consistent weapons around him and an opportunity to be the QB... Now he'll just be part of the Gimmick Offense and IMO, won't get to fully develop being pulled off the field and not being able to work thru mistakes like Eli did, without the ####-storm of media and fans crying for the Savior.....It's a Very Sad Day to be a Jets fan.I think the next window of opportunity to win it all will now come one day with a new GM, HC and QB....

The Denver Post reports that the holdup in Wednesday's Tim Tebow trade to the Jets is a provision requiring New York to pay a "kick back" worth north of $5 million in order to acquire him.The exact amount is $5,063,750, and per Tebow's language-heavy rookie contract, the Jets must pay the money to the Broncos for the trade to be finalized. We suspect there are ways for Denver to work around this, but for now it's a holdup. Per the Denver Post's Mike Klis, the Jets are understandably "balking" at paying the kick back, and "there is a decent chance this (trade) may die."
At this point, I'm not sure what would be worse. Trading for Tebow and then having the deal fall part or for it to go through. :tfp:

The potential of free-agent RB Michael Bush returning to the Oakland Raiders seems more and more plausible. He has said he enjoys playing for the Raiders on more than one occasion, but he wanted to test the open market to see if he could be a lead back somewhere. The market for veteran free-agent running backs has been lukewarm; Bush met with the Chicago Bears and Cincinnati Bengals while the Seattle Seahawks and New York Jets reportedly have interest in him, too. There is a chance Bush could return to Oakland if he cannot land a starting job with another team.
NY has I believe about 8.7M in cap space left (including Tebow signing) and from what I've read Bush would be looking for something in the ballpark of 3M. But, I would REALLY like to see this happen.

I'm ILL. I'm at a Low as a Jets fan that I can't remember since Pre-Parcells (1997)And IMO the Saddest part if it all is that I think Rex Ryan is an amazing COACH... Problem is, Right off the bat i never would have drafted Sanchez especially for a "Win Now" North East Football team...I was ALL-IN for Rex up until now.But, He has to take a lot of the blame for the off the field decisions - Mostly Sanchez and now Tebow but, overall His Drafts have been complete Train Wrecks.I at least held out some hope For Sanchez now in year 4 IF - Given Good consistent weapons around him and an opportunity to be the QB... Now he'll just be part of the Gimmick Offense and IMO, won't get to fully develop being pulled off the field and not being able to work thru mistakes like Eli did, without the ####-storm of media and fans crying for the Savior.....It's a Very Sad Day to be a Jets fan.I think the next window of opportunity to win it all will now come one day with a new GM, HC and QB....
Sky is falling because the Jets traded a 4th rd pick for an upgrade at #2 QB and a playmaker for wildcat? Franchise set back 20 years? I just dont get it....its a 4th rd pick...they may not be able to draft 1 of the many bums they whiffed on in the 4th rd since 1990....If Sanchez stinks as a JEt fan I want a better option back there than Stanton....I just dont get the hate on this one....yes there is hype and a circus atmosphere but like it or not thats the JEts regardless!

still super pissed. Tebow is a good dude and will say all the right things, but in the end, his presence will just destroy any confidence Sanchez has left. Whether the coaching staff tries to give him a long leash or not, ESPN will be all over this story and just beat it to death. Tebow would be an AMAZING addition if we could just evaluate it in a vacuum, but that's impossible.

Unless Sanchez becomes Drew Brees during the off-season, he won't survive the year and will probably be off the team within 18 months.

I'm not some huge Sanchez supporter, but he needed 1 year with a different OC to see what he has. Now he'll never get it and I think that stinks.

still super pissed. Tebow is a good dude and will say all the right things, but in the end, his presence will just destroy any confidence he has left. Whether the coaching staff tries to give him a long leash or not, ESPN will be all over this story and just beat it to death. Tebow would be an AMAZING addition if we could just evaluate it in a vacuum, but that's impossible. Unless Sanchez becomes Drew Brees during the off-season, he won't survive the year and will probably be off the team within 18 months.I'm not some huge Sanchez supporter, but he needed 1 year with a different OC to see what he has. Now he'll never get it and I think that stinks.
So lets not upgrade the #2 QB position when we have a chance to "support" Sanchez? screw that - its his 4th season - sink or swim...if he stinks or gets hurt and the team is in the race I'll be happy that they have Tebow to turn to than Stanton! Fans chanting for Tebow at the game? Have you been to a home JEt game...they booed Sanchez at introductions last season! LOL

Sky is falling because the Jets traded a 4th rd pick for an upgrade at #2 QB and a playmaker for wildcat? Franchise set back 20 years? I just dont get it....its a 4th rd pick...they may not be able to draft 1 of the many bums they whiffed on in the 4th rd since 1990....If Sanchez stinks as a JEt fan I want a better option back there than Stanton....I just dont get the hate on this one....yes there is hype and a circus atmosphere but like it or not thats the JEts regardless!
I'm not sure why you're being so obtuse about this. I don't care about giving up a 4th rounder. I don't care about Drew Stanton. I care that the Jets claimed they were committed to giving Sanchez a fair shot (albeit probably a final shot) and then brought in a guy who every irrational fan and stupid media person will NEVER shut up about once Sanchez does one little thing wrong. I'm all for giving Sanchez competition and motivation, but they brought in a guy who may force his way onto the field (not his fault) for non-football reasons. The Jets and Tebow can say all they want about how he's not here to take Mark's job and how he'll be happy to help the team in any way he can. Any rational person who has seen what happened in Denver knows that that isn't the case.

still super pissed. Tebow is a good dude and will say all the right things, but in the end, his presence will just destroy any confidence he has left. Whether the coaching staff tries to give him a long leash or not, ESPN will be all over this story and just beat it to death. Tebow would be an AMAZING addition if we could just evaluate it in a vacuum, but that's impossible. Unless Sanchez becomes Drew Brees during the off-season, he won't survive the year and will probably be off the team within 18 months.I'm not some huge Sanchez supporter, but he needed 1 year with a different OC to see what he has. Now he'll never get it and I think that stinks.
So lets not upgrade the #2 QB position when we have a chance to "support" Sanchez? screw that - its his 4th season - sink or swim...if he stinks or gets hurt and the team is in the race I'll be happy that they have Tebow to turn to than Stanton! Fans chanting for Tebow at the game? Have you been to a home JEt game...they booed Sanchez at introductions last season! LOL
With any other player that has ever been born, I would totally agree with you. But Tebow is a special case. There's a difference between a guy getting booed a little bit and the entire country screaming for Jesus Christ himself to take your job.

I'm not sure why you're being so obtuse about this. I don't care about giving up a 4th rounder. I don't care about Drew Stanton. I care that the Jets claimed they were committed to giving Sanchez a fair shot (albeit probably a final shot) and then brought in a guy who every irrational fan and stupid media person will NEVER shut up about once Sanchez does one little thing wrong. I'm all for giving Sanchez competition and motivation, but they brought in a guy who may force his way onto the field (not his fault) for non-football reasons. The Jets and Tebow can say all they want about how he's not here to take Mark's job and how he'll be happy to help the team in any way he can. Any rational person who has seen what happened in Denver knows that that isn't the case.
First of all nice use of obtuse - good thing I watched Shawshank so I know I should take it as an insult...LOLbottom line - Sanchez plays well he is the man. They invested a ton in Ssnchez and they will give him every chance to succeed. Tebow took over in Denver because Orton sucked...the team would have tanked but Tebow got a shot and ran with it....if the same thing happens to the JEts why wouldnt you want a guy you can turn to for the same?

Users who are viewing this thread