What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL 2 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mr. Irrelevant

IBL Representative
Might as well get this rolling. :welcome:

MFL draft site for PDSL2 (password is fbgpdsl2)

Thrilled to land the 1.02 slot, as I agree with Jeaton from the PDSL3 thread that even at 1.01 I'd still have taken Charles over McCoy.

Not so thrilled about getting slotted between Bass and Ref ... mentally preparing myself for getting sniped on my BPA seventeen consecutive times. :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham was top scoring non-QB last year. Do not see him falling out of top 3 scoring this season.

1.03 Peyton Manning QB DEN

RB's get hit a lot, TE's and WR's do too to a lesser extent. As a general rule, I like to play safe in the first round of survivors and QB is where I usually go. So I'll start with the highest scoring player in the league and build from here. I don't see his production falling off that much although there should be some regression. VBD probably doesn't like this pick at all at 1.03 but VBD doesn't always apply to survivor leagues.

Are we using MFL?

Andy - I'm sick today, 5x frequent flier to the porcelain express last night. :X I feel your pain.

Twilight zone draft and discussion. I may have to down a few beers before I can understand any of this. LOL

Carl Mania aside, this draft has kept to safe picks in the first round, though order is a bit different from others due to the scoring. I think the only pick that I feel is early is Eddie Lacy. Green Bay is still a passing team, though it is nice they finally have a ground game for balance. Lacy got a lot of touches in a high octane offense. Would I have taken him at 1.07. Probably not until early to mid second round. RBs will be tough and result in a lot of reaches.

I picked D Thomas, following the greatness of CWF, as Peyton has shown he remains an offensive general on the field, and the loss of Decker should increase reliance on Thomas who was very reliable. A functional backfield, with J Thomas, Welker, splitting looks with Thomas guarantees him some open field and more numerous touches this year. I had Gronk second on my list at value, hoping he matured and realizes now that he needs to be on the field healthy. Patriots still do not have much in terms of receivers competing for looks, especially in red zone. If he plays all/most games this year at 100%, he will be high value in this scoring format.

McCoy is a reasonable 1.01, but it will be interesting to see how Folke operates without DeSean. Hopefully Maclin comes back healthy this year. I like Charles and the offense is ripe for him to be the top point producer this year.

The Karl Episode was enjoyable to watch but man, that stinks for the draft, shouldnt be too hard to replace him.

I am happy to get both guys that I'd hoped to get back to back at 1.16/2.01.

Moving up to 1.15, I figured I should grab Martin - who I think will be given the opportunity to have top 5 season, and then grab either Rogers or Brees with 2.02 as I agree with Stinkin Ref that a stud QB is less risky at the top of the draft than one of the other positions

Very happy to pair Alshon Jeffries with Calvin Johnson. So far feeling pretty good not drafting in the one spot.

1.07 Eddie Lacy, RB Packers - Wish Calvin had fallen, of course. Missed by one pick. Love this kid. APOROY, and Coach has been outspoken on Team expecting him to be every down RB in 2014. Did great job carrying load in 2013, w/ no real durability issues. Managed 35 receptions, 1400+ total yards and 11 TD while establishing himself last year. Although there are plenty of mouths to feed in GB, it's still an extremely prolific offense, and with an established role, I'm thinking he's going to up those #'s to 48/1600/12, and I didn't see another RB available that I thought could as likely generate those #'s between the combination of their own talent and the offense they were working within.

2.10 Julius Thomas, TE Broncos - I consider OJT to be a Tier-1 player at his position, none of my Tier-1 guys were left at QB and WR...what's it going to be like in Denver, sans Decker, is the big question. Probably worthy to wonder what the passing game is going to look like sans Moreno as well? Still very prolific, I think that's a sure bet. In transition, I'd like to think Manning will lean on what he knows and trusts, and that's the Thomas' and Welker. I don't think Ball is anywhere near the threat out of the backfield Moreno was, and I don't think enough of Emmanuel Sanders to assume he's going to get a Decker-size piece of the pie, even if he doesn't get hurt. Building on 2013 even modestly, that's a nice piece to build a foundation on in TE2PPR.

Seems we're all happy with our top two picks so far.

I didn't expect to get either but am very happy with my Ohio G-Men.

texted bass to let him know all the guys from this turn are here, so we should be able to turn this ##### if he can get on....

QB -

RB - McCoy

WR - Cobb

TE - Cameron

Pretty happy with this start. There was only one other guy I was considering and then there appears to be a sizable drop off in my buckets. Really didn't want to take Cameron this early but TEs have been flying off the boards in these drafts. Drop to the TEs left at the 4/5 turn is larger than the drop off at any other position. Plus I would have looked at the TEs at the next turn and decided to wait two more rounds, eventually hosing myself.

Really like that I have flexibility to go bpa with my next two picks.

eta - Reason I went McCoy over ADP or Charles was that I've never owned him

A what if for you guys to ponder.

What if I had taken both Nelson and Cobb at the turn. Thoughts on that strategy? Don't know the bye weeks but get two extra picks. Gotta figure I would get exceptional production from one of them most weeks. Limits some upside, but is upside needed in these leagues?

What if I had taken both Nelson and Cobb at the turn. Thoughts on that strategy? Don't know the bye weeks but get two extra picks. Gotta figure I would get exceptional production from one of them most weeks. Limits some upside, but is upside needed in these leagues?
:thumbup:

In your shoes, I'd have given it serious thought. It's a survivor league after all - buffering the downside is usually more important than shooting for extra upside.

Kinda wish you had so I could've snagged Cameron. :rant:

RB - Charles (1.02), Bush (2.15)

WR - Nelson (3.02)

Never gone RB-RB to start in one of these before, and wasn't planning to here ... but when you have a chance to pick up two of the top 7 finishers at a position, you take it. Have my fingers crossed that the Lions go after a weapon like Mike Evans to put opposite Calvin, which should give Reggie a ton of room to operate in the middle of the field. Fully expect my one-two punch to put up 3,000 YFS and 100+ catches between them this season.

I now own Jordy in both WSL and PDSL, and if he keeps sitting around until the WR11-12 range, I'll own him in a bunch of other leagues this year, too. He was WR3 on a PPG basis with Rodgers under center, so if A-Rod stays healthy Nelson should be a virtual lock for the top 10.

If TEs start flying off the board the way they have been in PDSL3 I might regret passing on Cameron, but otherwise very happy with this start.

I think it would be stupid to get the same bye week, at the same position with your early picks. You're removing some luck as a factor...by choosing it to be bad.

3.06 Andre Ellington

1.06 Calvin Johnson

2.11 Alshon Jeffry

Passed on RB in the 2nd, planning to pick up Ellington in the 3rd. I think Ellington is way undervalued at the moment, especially in PPR leagues. By the start of the season, he's likely to be going early to mid 2nd.

3.06 Andre Ellington

1.06 Calvin Johnson

2.11 Alshon Jeffry

Passed on RB in the 2nd, planning to pick up Ellington in the 3rd. I think Ellington is way undervalued at the moment, especially in PPR leagues. By the start of the season, he's likely to be going early to mid 2nd.
I'll take the over on early 2nd.

3.06 Andre Ellington

1.06 Calvin Johnson

2.11 Alshon Jeffry

early second....are you talking 16 team leagues or 12 and under....?

3.06 Andre Ellington

1.06 Calvin Johnson

2.11 Alshon Jeffry

I only play 32 team leagues.

But seriously, as of this moment, I'd rather have him than Doug Martin

3.06 Andre Ellington

1.06 Calvin Johnson

2.11 Alshon Jeffry

I only play 32 team leagues.

But seriously, as of this moment, I'd rather have him than Doug Martin
After the draft is over I don't know if he'll even be the starter. Toss in playing SF/SEA/STL 6 times and he falls far enough down my list that he won't be on any of my teams.

1.03 Peyton Manning QB DEN

2.14 Montee Ball RB DEN

After taking Peyton in the first I had my sights set on Ball in the second. Wasn't sure he would make it back to me, but the thought of pretty much locking up the Denver "scoring" in some respects was a direction I wanted to head. This worked for me last year by accident in MBSL when I took a late flyer on Moreno and he ended up getting the lion's share of the work (1600 total yards, 13 TD's, 60 receptions). This combo helped me destroy that league by over 300 total points and by around 18 points a week on average. I see some already making comments about "hype" and how his ADP is going through the roof, and they say this like it is a bad thing or something. Although I am a KC fan and hate the thought of somewhat rooting for these two Donkeys, I have to seperate that. I live in CO and watched every snap of the Broncos last year. Vibe around here is that Ball will be the man, they think he can handle it, he was drafted by this staff, and a major reason why they didn't even sniff bringing Moreno back at a bargain rate. Moreno finished as RB4 in this format last year, so if Ball just sniffs that, this is a steal at 2.14. I'll take a chance on a guy in this offense, if you have any talent you can trip over yourself into some decent fantasy production. Anderson and Hillman are a concern on the negative side, but Ball was getting some pretty good PT in the playoffs and super bowl and looked good doing it. Had Hit-n-Run taken Ball instead of Foster, I would have passed on RB here, and probably taken my usual path of sluffing the RB position.

3.03 Jason Witten TE DAL

I had another name typed in here (RB) who seemed like value but after further review I soured, glad I changed. In this format, I think I would have kicked myself later for not taking a TE here. With 20 rounds I can dedicate quite a few picks to RB/WR later. Had a feeling had I passed on TE here I would have felt compelled/forced to take one at the next turn and it would have almost been like settling. Supposed to be pass happy in DAL this year, even before that Witten is usually a fixture in upper tier. In this format I have Witten as my TE3.

Through 3 rounds, this has pretty much gone according to script. Quite honestly, everybody should love their team at this point, so it isn't really about being "excited". IMO you butter your bread in rounds 5-12.

Some quick thoughts/opinions:

[SIZE=medium]1.01 Lesean McCoy RB1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.02 Jamaal Charles RB2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.03 Peyton Manning QB1 - he's 38, right?[/SIZE] I'd be scared to anchor my team to him

[SIZE=medium]1.04 Jimmy Graham TE1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.05 Adrian Peterson RB3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.06 Calvin Johnson WR1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.07 Eddie Lacy RB4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.08 Matt Forte RB5 - didn't really want him and almost went Lynch, but gotta love his reception total[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.09 AJ Green WR2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.10 Josh Gordon[/SIZE] WR3 - overdrafted; I just can't get on board with this guy going so high

[SIZE=medium]1.11 Demaryius Thomas[/SIZE] WR4

[SIZE=medium]1.12 Rob Gronkowsi TE2 - another guy I was tempted by at 1.08[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.13 Dez Bryant WR5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.14 Marshawn Lynch[/SIZE] RB6 - steal, can't beat his dependability

[SIZE=medium]1.15 Doug Martin RB7 - overdrafted[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.16 Julio Jones[/SIZE] WR6

[SIZE=medium]2.01 Brandon Marshall WR7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.02 Aaron Rodgers QB2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.03 Drew Brees QB3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.04 LeVeon Bell RB8[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.05 Demarco Murray RB9[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.06 Vernon Davis TE3 - hefty price tag for a guy who won't get 100 targets[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.07 Giovanni Bernard RB10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.08 Antonio Brown WR8[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.09 CJ Spiller RB11 - I reached, but he wasn't going to make it to me in the 3rd[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.10 Julius Thomas TE4 - overdrafted, he's going to get hurt in the pullback when Peyton doesn't throw 55 TDs again[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.11 Alshon Jeffery WR9 - I can't see Chicago supporting two top 10 WRs again[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.12 Zach Stacy RB12[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.13 Arian Foster RB13 - risky but potential steal[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.14 Monte Ball RB14 - same as Foster but for different reasons (health vs. potential competition coming)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.15 Reggie Bush RB15[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.16 Randall Cobb WR10 - overdrafted, would much rather have Nelson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3.01 Jordan Cameron TE5 - I get the emphasis on TEs, but feel like he's overdrafted here[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3.02 Jordy Nelson WR11[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3.03 Jason [/SIZE]Witten TE6 - steal at TE6

3.04 Larry Fitzgerald WR12 - nice pick

3.05 Pierre Garcon WR13 - way overdrafted (although it is consistent with WSL, doesn't make it right, though)

3.06 Andre Ellington RB16 - way overdrafted

3.07 Keenan Allen WR14

3.08 Andre Johnson WR15 - QB will be a risk, but the guy is a stalwart and hasn't played with a great QB yet anyway

3.09 Shane Vereen RB17 - overdrafted

On Garcon, the guy has a new OC and Andre Roberts + DeSean Jackson to share targets with. I wouldn't touch him until WR20ish.

Ellington looked good as a CoP back, but I fully expect him to be in a RBBC next year. Also, Arians has never thrown to the RB very much. This is not the next Jamal Charles.

I like Vereen, but not nearly that much. His role leaves a lot to be desired and he hasn't been the most durable guy over the years.

RB - Gio Bernard

WR - Josh Gordon, Percy Harvin

Perhaps more risk than I'd like.

Gordon - keep his head on straight and his QB situation can't get worse... right??

Gio - 2nd year RBs carry risk, but he should be good.

Percy - just a risk of health. Dude's a stud but has to stay on the field.

3.02 Jordy Nelson WR11
3.04 Larry Fitzgerald WR12
3.05 Pierre Garcon WR13
3.07 Keenan Allen WR14
3.08 Andre Johnson WR15
3.10 Percy Harvin WR16
3.12 Vincent Jackson WR17
Some crazy WR value coming off the board this late in a 16-teamer IMO.

Don't like Garcon at that spot, but I'd have been happy with any of the other five guys if Nelson had been gone at my pick.

FUBAR said:
RB - Gio Bernard

Gordon - keep his head on straight and his QB situation can't get worse... right??

Braylon Edwards had a career year with a crappy QB and never found that magic again. Weird things happen. Gordon seems to get an insane amount of targets and catch a lot of breaks. Time will tell if he's causing the missed tackles/bad coverage or just lucky. Personally I feel like he's a talented guy who also has gotten pretty lucky. Won't be shocked to see him finish as a WR2 due to a bad situation and a change in luck.

I agree that Gio should be good. He looked legit. But you really need a guy you can depend on in the 2nd round of a 16 team league and he strikes me as a guy who will always be in a RBBC so I worry they'll bring in someone better than BJGE this offseason.

As for Percy, I like the talent but don't like the situation. I don't think he gets nearly the number of carries he did in MIN and there just aren't that many targets to go around on that offense. I typically try to stay away from WRs on team that attempt less than 500 passes unless the QB has tunnel vision for him. But Harvin isn't some sort of prototypical WR1 that commands 10 targets a game (and even if he was Russell is smart enough to spread it around), so he just seems pricey to me even without the health concerns.

But that's just my take. These guys are all young guys with high ceilings if the cards fall just right. Hitting on high ceilings is how you win these leagues. Well, that and avoiding injuries.

3.13 Alfred Morris, RB, WAS
This is who I had typed in instead of Witten at 3.03. It was screaming value to me but in the end:

1. honestly I have never been a huge fan even though I don't have any legit reason I can explain, and

2. the pass happy approach, signing of Roberts and DJax, change in approach from Shanny, and Morris not a great rec led me to change my mind and go TE

hopefully I don't regret it....

3.13 Alfred Morris, RB, WAS
This is who I had typed in instead of Witten at 3.03. It was screaming value to me but in the end:

1. honestly I have never been a huge fan even though I don't have any legit reason I can explain, and

2. the pass happy approach, signing of Roberts and DJax, change in approach from Shanny, and Morris not a great rec led me to change my mind and go TE

hopefully I don't regret it....
Yup. Insane value. Didn't want to mention it before he was picked, though. There's still one more. I had to let them walk though since I pigeon holed myself by going RB-RB. But I really loved AJ's value at 3.08, too. If he finally gets some red zone looks, he'll be top 5 once again. Talent and age are not an issue.

But Witten was great value in this format at 3.03. He probably should've been TE3, so getting him at TE6 was really nice for you. Looks like I'm going TEBC.

FUBAR said:
RB - Gio Bernard

I looked hard at Percy and took Cameron. I would have selected Harvin if the TEs hadn't been flying off the board in the other leagues (and ours to an extent). I like him as much as Jeffrey, Marshall, Julio, etc. I really like your start once again.

FUBAR said:
RB - Gio Bernard

I looked hard at Percy and took Cameron. I would have selected Harvin if the TEs hadn't been flying off the board in the other leagues (and ours to an extent). I like him as much as Jeffrey, Marshall, Julio, etc. I really like your start once again.
Thanks Bass. Seems we view things much the same way.

Was thinking I might wait until the 5th round to address TE but with 9 off the board and Rudolph available, the pick was fairly easy. Considered a RB but he would have just added risk to the team.

Stafford, Matthew DET QB

Johnson, Chris FA* RB

Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR

Davis, Vernon SFO TE

I feel solid about these picks so far. VD has always appealed to me, uhm, strike that, I mean Vernon Davis. He is a keystone in this offense, reliable producer, stays healthy, and does not appear to have off-field issues. Colin K's recent issues may result in suspension, depending upon how it plays out, and that usually means more reliance on the TE. Better WR presence will open the field up for him, and the strong running game in SF should put VD in mismatches frequently.

D Thomas, I think his numbers suffered from the presence of Decker, and Sanders should not result in as much of drop off in numbers from ceiling. Again, solid, healthy, responsible.

Stafford, if Detroit gets an exceptional WR from the draft, should have a slew of targets. I have always had high hopes for his production, but have never drafted him. I see him having the best position to be a Tier 1 or 1a.

Chris Johnson, my bust or burst pick. If he goes somewhere that allows him to use his talents, he will be a stud. I hope he doesn't go to a RBBC team, and at his price point, can't see it happening.

Will comment on others soon.

IMO, Pictus Cat has the SotD so far with Mathews at 3.16. I almost took him at 2.09 instead of Spiller. I took him at 3.10 last year when he was coming off a horrible year. Why did he slip so much this year after finishing in the top 12?

3.10 42. FF Ninja Mathews, Ryan SDC RB Thu Apr 4 5:24:44 p.m. ET 2013
I cannot speak for others, but for me it was injury history, and competition in the backfield with Woodhead (PPR) and now Donald Brown who I thought looked great at the end of last season. I was surprised the Colts let him go.

Users who are viewing this thread