What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Westbrook Hype Train (1 Viewer)

killrobotkill

Footballguy
From what little I saw of last night's game, he had good burst and ran like he did as an Eagle. With fresh legs and a good OL, I'm thinking he has an LT-style comeback and leads lots of people to fantasy playoff glory.

:jawdrop:

It is hard to tell anything against the Cards defense. They just stink. That said Westbrook looked pretty good.

The 49er offense is just good enough not to be completely inept. This means that even if the running game is not working, look for Westbrook to catch the 10 dumpoffs a game Gore used to get when they were down by 20+ points. This of course is valuable, so grab Westbrook wherever you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dynasty leaguers should look to add Anthony Dixon. Gore is getting up there in age and Dixon has looked good when given the opportunity. I also would not be surprised to see more of a balanced split between Westy and Dixon going forward. It's very possible Dixon even out scores (fantasy points) Westbrook this year. Going into this week the 49'ers said they were planning on getting Westbrook more involved which could easily account for his large numbers last night.

Dynasty leaguers should look to add Anthony Dixon. Gore is getting up there in age and Dixon has looked good when given the opportunity. I also would not be surprised to see more of a balanced split between Westy and Dixon going forward. It's very possible Dixon even out scores (fantasy points) Westbrook this year. Going into this week the 49'ers said they were planning on getting Westbrook more involved which could easily account for his large numbers last night.
Well the way Westrbrook ran last night he solidified the #2 spot he looked almost like his old self with burt of speed and his nice cutting and juking moves. I thought it was the old Westy. So I think Westy is the clear choice here and they gave him priority at goaline.

Anthony Dixon hasn't shown me a whole lot. Singletary said in preseason something to the effect of,"he has a long way to go." I drafted him in my dynasty league, and like I said he hasn't shown me anything. But yeah, why not in a dynasty league. But any decent owner should know his stock has just risen.I own West and Dixon in my dynasty and have been starting Javariss James due to a rash of injuries the last 3 weeks. At least I have a viable starter now. I truly feel bad for Gore, I don't have him on a team this year but have in the past. Anyone who has ever had him on a team knows the player he is, fractured hip sure does sound horrible.

Worth a #1 waiver priority?
This late in the year? Absolutely.
:goodposting: If you are not going to use it now...what are you holding it for?
Yep. Emptied the piggy bank this morning, just don't think it will be enough :bag:It looked like he has some left in the tank, and with only a few games left, his fresh legs could last and help a bunch of teams out. He may also be auditioning for another team next year - though I don't know if teams would want him or his contract allows that.

As a non-Gore owner this sucks for my H2H league.

The Gore owner was one of those high scoring teams with a lousy W/L record and on the outside looking in at the playoff picture.

That was great for everyone looking to be in the playoffs.

I'm #4 in waiver priority, and the #1 and #2 teams in waiver priority are tied for last place at 3-9.

But the team who is #3 in priority is 6-6 and a very active owner. I put in a claim for Westbrook, but I would be STUNNED if at least the guy right in front of me didn't grab him first.

I know everyone will talk about Westbrook's injury history, but every year there seems to be a player or two who turn it up out of nowhere for the FF playoffs, and I think he can be that guy.

As a non-Gore owner this sucks for my H2H league.The Gore owner was one of those high scoring teams with a lousy W/L record and on the outside looking in at the playoff picture.That was great for everyone looking to be in the playoffs.I'm #4 in waiver priority, and the #1 and #2 teams in waiver priority are tied for last place at 3-9.But the team who is #3 in priority is 6-6 and a very active owner. I put in a claim for Westbrook, but I would be STUNNED if at least the guy right in front of me didn't grab him first.I know everyone will talk about Westbrook's injury history, but every year there seems to be a player or two who turn it up out of nowhere for the FF playoffs, and I think he can be that guy.
Just give us the link to your league already!

Know why I don't want him?

Cuz there is a thread that says "Brian Westbrook Hype Train" in the SP forum, that always seems to work out. :goodposting:

I believe Dixon is the guy to own. IMHO

I think that Westy was just more prepared and successful in the game plan against the worst defense in the NFC after Gore went down, you know the hot hand thing. With a week of practice, I believe they may give the rookie the experience to see what they have, Gores Career may be done. Who knows?...a broken hip for a RB, ugh. Bo Jackson anyone?....But to not to give a Dixon a try when their season is virtually over for a old injury riddled RB who wont even be on a the team next year or even in the league...what would be the point?

Know why I don't want him?Cuz there is a thread that says "Brian Westbrook Hype Train" in the SP forum, that always seems to work out. :goodposting: I believe Dixon is the guy to own. IMHOI think that Westy was just more prepared and successful in the game plan against the worst defense in the NFC after Gore went down, you know the hot hand thing. With a week of practice, I believe they may give the rookie the experience to see what they have, Gores Career may be done. Who knows?...a broken hip for a RB, ugh. Bo Jackson anyone?....But to not to give a Dixon a try when their season is virtually over for a old injury riddled RB who wont even be on a the team next year or even in the league...what would be the point?
The problem is that their season is far from being "virtually over". Remember that they play in the NFC West? The Niners may want that veteran presence for their playoff run.............. :bag:

Know why I don't want him?Cuz there is a thread that says "Brian Westbrook Hype Train" in the SP forum, that always seems to work out. :goodposting: I believe Dixon is the guy to own. IMHOI think that Westy was just more prepared and successful in the game plan against the worst defense in the NFC after Gore went down, you know the hot hand thing. With a week of practice, I believe they may give the rookie the experience to see what they have, Gores Career may be done. Who knows?...a broken hip for a RB, ugh. Bo Jackson anyone?....But to not to give a Dixon a try when their season is virtually over for a old injury riddled RB who wont even be on a the team next year or even in the league...what would be the point?
Why would a team who is still very much in the playoff hunt hand the ball to a Rookie who was, by the coach's own admission "a long way off"... when they have an aging, but established stud waiting in the wings... with fresh legs no less. Two or more games out of playoff contention... maybe they see what they have in Dixon. However, the Niners are very much still in it right now. Why, exactly, did you think they brought westbrook on board if not for this exact scenario?

The problem is that their season is far from being "virtually over". Remember that they play in the NFC West? The Niners may want that veteran presence for their playoff run.............. :bag:
I said virtually...Dude remember the Niners are not good and they played the Cardinals, yes a game back in the West, but still horrible....a bad coach, young inexperienced QB, and now wothout their stud RB...I bet a million Westy flops like hell next week against the stingy GB defense in Lambeau....any takers?

Cuz there is a thread that says "Brian Westbrook Hype Train" in the SP forum, that always seems to work out. :goodposting:

I think that Westy was just more prepared and successful in the game plan against the worst defense in the NFC after Gore went down, you know the hot hand thing. With a week of practice, I believe they may give the rookie the experience to see what they have, Gores Career may be done. Who knows?...a broken hip for a RB, ugh. Bo Jackson anyone?....But to not to give a Dixon a try when their season is virtually over for a old injury riddled RB who wont even be on a the team next year or even in the league...what would be the point?
Why would a team who is still very much in the playoff hunt hand the ball to a Rookie who was, by the coach's own admission "a long way off"... when they have an aging, but established stud waiting in the wings... with fresh legs no less. Two or more games out of playoff contention... maybe they see what they have in Dixon. However, the Niners are very much still in it right now. Why, exactly, did you think they brought westbrook on board if not for this exact scenario?
Ummmm, who else would they have brought in for depth, when coffe quit? Considering they had much to choose from. I love how when a injury happens everyone thinks the next man up will be a stud. Brandon Jackson anyone?

Cuz there is a thread that says "Brian Westbrook Hype Train" in the SP forum, that always seems to work out. :thumbup:

Ummmm, who else would they have brought in for depth, when coffe quit? Considering they had much to choose from. I love how when a injury happens everyone thinks the next man up will be a stud. Brandon Jackson anyone?
Dixon may get a look, but Westy, barring injury, is the guy to own. Westy is a must add right now.

Why would a team who is still very much in the playoff hunt hand the ball to a Rookie who was, by the coach's own admission "a long way off"... when they have an aging, but established stud waiting in the wings... with fresh legs no less. Two or more games out of playoff contention... maybe they see what they have in Dixon. However, the Niners are very much still in it right now.

Why, exactly, did you think they brought westbrook on board if not for this exact scenario?
And why would they have brought Westbrook in for depth if they felt Dixon was the guy behind Gore? If Dixon was the guy, why did they go with Westbrook for the majority off the carries last night?

23 Touches at 5.9 YPC vs 14 Touches for 3.9 YPC.

You bring Jackson in to compare to Westbrook? Really?! :thumbup: Jackson has 10,000 yds / 60 TDs too?

C'mon man... I know you're a new guy here, and I see you bouncing all over this forum playing contrarian, but sometimes you gotta just read the writing on the wall.

A team in the playoff hunt with a Veteran Stud RB who just produced at almost double the clip of the unproven rookie when given a chance....

He's not worth unless you are desperate. The 49ers have enough trouble running the ball with gore. Now you have westbrook who is going to get spelled by dixon a lot more...its a mess and a mess you probably don't want to count on. If you are desperate for a rb then by all means.

It is hard to tell anything against the Cards defense. They just stink. That said Westbrook looked pretty good.
Dixon looked atrocious last night....so if the Cards are a terrible run defense and a RB looks terrible against them what does that say about them?? :thumbup: You're right Westy did look good and some of that was obviously the Card playing bad but he looked 10x better than Dixon....

He's not worth unless you are desperate. The 49ers have enough trouble running the ball with gore. Now you have westbrook who is going to get spelled by dixon a lot more...its a mess and a mess you probably don't want to count on. If you are desperate for a rb then by all means.
At this point in the season, I traded my depth for bigger firepower at my weaker positions. I wanted and had a chance at making a good run. Gore was my RB#1. Not hard to see how I'm desperate. Even more so, Westbrook is a starting RB with very fresh legs. At worst he's better on my bench than scoring points against me.

I love how when a injury happens everyone thinks the next man up will be a stud. Brandon Jackson anyone?
Well, in this case, Westbrook *was* a stud. He was a proven, elite fantasy RB for several years. Not at all like Brandon Jackson, or any other second stringer you want to name - with the exception of LT. And look at how that worked out.Give me a RB available on most waiver wires with more potential to have a FF championship-winning next month than Westbrook.

I love how when a injury happens everyone thinks the next man up will be a stud. Brandon Jackson anyone?
Well, in this case, Westbrook *was* a stud. He was a proven, elite fantasy RB for several years. Not at all like Brandon Jackson, or any other second stringer you want to name - with the exception of LT. And look at how that worked out.Give me a RB available on most waiver wires with more potential to have a FF championship-winning next month than Westbrook.
You won't find one. Haters are gonna hate.

At this point in the season, I traded my depth for bigger firepower at my weaker positions. I wanted and had a chance at making a good run. Gore was my RB#1. Not hard to see how I'm desperate. Even more so, Westbrook is a starting RB with very fresh legs. At worst he's better on my bench than scoring points against me.
That's fair enough for sure...i just don't think he is worth burning a top priority pick. The 49ers offense stinks. Without alex smith dumping the ball off to gore, he just hasn't been very good this year. So now you have an offense that doesn't move the ball with a 30 year old rb...People are pumped because of AZ last night but that was more a product of AZ. I suspect that running game is going to come crashing back down to earth this week.

Packers, Seahawks, Chargers, Rams.

Over the next 4 weeks, the Niners will play these teams and two of the games are divisional games with tons on the line.

This is a crap shoot on who to pick up because:

1)Westy can never stay healthy.

2)Dixon is unknown.

3)The divisional matchups/scenarios will dictate what the Niners want to do in real life.

4)Gore's prognosis could entice the Niners to run Dixon more if they think the injury is career threatening (they would want to see what they have if they think Gore is hurt badly. Westbrook can't be a long term fix).

5)The defenses are very varied and Dixon may be suited better agianst the Rams and Hawks while Westy may be better agianst the Chargers and Packers.

End of the day, this is a week by week matchup based on what happens each week. If the NIners are still in the hunt AND Westy stays healthy AND Gore is expected to be ok, then probably Westy.

If the Niners are out of it AND Gore's long term is a big concern AND/OR Westy gets banged up, Dixon is probably your guy.

THere is no definite answer to this one at this time.

...so maybe this is being picked up in another thread, but how does the upside of Westbrook on SF compare to Gerhart on MIN? For the rest of the season:

Vikings:

BUF

NYG

CHI

@PHI

@DET

49ers:

@GB

SEA

@SD

@STL

ARI

MIN is playing Buffalo this week in Minneapolis while SF is going to Lambeau against GB...so I would imagine that the SF ground game is going to get more play, especially if the weather is poor. Thoughts?

...so maybe this is being picked up in another thread, but how does the upside of Westbrook on SF compare to Gerhart on MIN? For the rest of the season:Vikings:BUFNYGCHI@PHI@DET49ers:mad:GBSEA@SD@STLARIMIN is playing Buffalo this week in Minneapolis while SF is going to Lambeau against GB...so I would imagine that the SF ground game is going to get more play, especially if the weather is poor. Thoughts?
No doubt gerhart...nobody to split with and Minnesota can run the ball

Why would a team who is still very much in the playoff hunt hand the ball to a Rookie who was, by the coach's own admission "a long way off"... when they have an aging, but established stud waiting in the wings... with fresh legs no less. Two or more games out of playoff contention... maybe they see what they have in Dixon. However, the Niners are very much still in it right now.

Why, exactly, did you think they brought westbrook on board if not for this exact scenario?
And why would they have brought Westbrook in for depth if they felt Dixon was the guy behind Gore? If Dixon was the guy, why did they go with Westbrook for the majority off the carries last night?

23 Touches at 5.9 YPC vs 14 Touches for 3.9 YPC.

You bring Jackson in to compare to Westbrook? Really?! :goodposting: Jackson has 10,000 yds / 60 TDs too?

C'mon man... I know you're a new guy here, and I see you bouncing all over this forum playing contrarian, but sometimes you gotta just read the writing on the wall.

A team in the playoff hunt with a Veteran Stud RB who just produced at almost double the clip of the unproven rookie when given a chance....
Prisoners of the moment, some of you are. (My yoda impression)Keep drinking the kool-aid.

If Westy is such a stud why did it take him so long to get picked up, and why has he not spelled Gore at all really?

Oh and, how long before Westy is hurt, AGAIN?

I am the new guy here, not really, sign up dates mean nuthing. But at least I'm being realistic, he is old and injruy prone on a crappy team, who managed to do something against the very great can stop a moving train defense in Arizona.

what ever you Gore owners need to do to make yourself feel better about losing him for the year.

WESTY IS THE ANSWER.

...so maybe this is being picked up in another thread, but how does the upside of Westbrook on SF compare to Gerhart on MIN? For the rest of the season:Vikings:BUFNYGCHI@PHI@DET49ers:mad:GBSEA@SD@STLARIMIN is playing Buffalo this week in Minneapolis while SF is going to Lambeau against GB...so I would imagine that the SF ground game is going to get more play, especially if the weather is poor. Thoughts?
No doubt gerhart...nobody to split with and Minnesota can run the ball
Is AP out for the season?

That's fair enough for sure...i just don't think he is worth burning a top priority pick. The 49ers offense stinks. Without alex smith dumping the ball off to gore, he just hasn't been very good this year. So now you have an offense that doesn't move the ball with a 30 year old rb...People are pumped because of AZ last night but that was more a product of AZ. I suspect that running game is going to come crashing back down to earth this week.
It's week 13. Brian Westbrook has a career 6140 rushing yards with 38 rush TD, 431 receptions 3828 yards receiving 29 rec TD taking over the featured back on a running team with plays designed also to dump off to the running back. He's got fresh legs as he just rushed for 136 yards 1 TD. Whether that's against Arizona or not, it's still 136 yards and 1 TD. This is the perfect time of the year to use your top waiver priority. Just before the playoffs you get at least a RB2/flex player. Go ahead and convince yourself that you shouldn't add Westbrook. The upside is too good to pass up. He is the #1 ww add this week.

Did not mean to raise alarm: AP is not out for the season, maybe 1 week and even that is still unknown. The challenge is that everyone is going to be jumping at those two picks this week. While we have discussed Westbrook at great length, I have not heard much about Gerhart's upside in comparison...or that of anyone else who might be on the waiver wire right now.

...and interestingly enough, Westbrook was not in the Footballguys Upgrade/Downgrade report this morning. Oversight or does FBG know something that we do not?

It's week 13. Brian Westbrook has a career 6140 rushing yards with 38 rush TD, 431 receptions 3828 yards receiving 29 rec TD taking over the featured back on a running team with plays designed also to dump off to the running back. He's got fresh legs as he just rushed for 136 yards 1 TD. Whether that's against Arizona or not, it's still 136 yards and 1 TD. This is the perfect time of the year to use your top waiver priority. Just before the playoffs you get at least a RB2/flex player. Go ahead and convince yourself that you shouldn't add Westbrook. The upside is too good to pass up. He is the #1 ww add this week.
He is worth a ww pick up for sure, but I'm just saying temper expectations, this seems to be a thread where people are assuming he is still a stud.I'll take Gehart over Westy, Gerhart was seeing time as it was, so they like him a lot, and with Favre being completely healthy, I see them leaning on the run game the next couple weeks.

Dixon looked good in preseason, but so did Coffee. In in-season action, Dixon has looked like Shonn Greene. But less effective because the Niners OL is not good or consistent, yet.

I'd pick up Dixon, but I think Westbrook is a much better gamble to make a significant impact in fantasy playoffs.

Did not mean to raise alarm: AP is not out for the season, maybe 1 week and even that is still unknown. The challenge is that everyone is going to be jumping at those two picks this week. While we have discussed Westbrook at great length, I have not heard much about Gerhart's upside in comparison...or that of anyone else who might be on the waiver wire right now....and interestingly enough, Westbrook was not in the Footballguys Upgrade/Downgrade report this morning. Oversight or does FBG know something that we do not?
Monday night players usually aren't in the waiver/upgrades column. They'll probably send out a separate email.

What do you think Westbrook will do vs Packers this weekend?

I feel like I screwed up my fantasy year because I didn't pick Wesbrook last night.

Do u think I screwed up in this?

So I am 1 win away from making the playoffs. The guy I'm going against has Peterson, I picked up Gerhart yesterday morning. Last night my internet was down, so I was on my phone trying to follow twitter and this forum for news on Gore, but it was slow. I went to bed before news that Gore was done for year. I almost picked up Westbrook, but thought I could wait till this morning when I heard the postgame conference saying that Gore wanted to get back in the game and they had to hid his helmet. This morning I woke up, and the guy I am playing next week picked up Westbrook. Then on my way to work I heard on radio that Gore was done for the year.

His RBs: Peterson, Jackson(GB), Felix, Wesbrook, Hightower

Mine: Charles, Moreno, Jackson(STL), Bradshaw, Keiland, Gerhart

Dixon is still out, do u think he's worth grabbing?

He is worth a ww pick up for sure, but I'm just saying temper expectations, this seems to be a thread where people are assuming he is still a stud.I'll take Gehart over Westy, Gerhart was seeing time as it was, so they like him a lot, and with Favre being completely healthy, I see them leaning on the run game the next couple weeks.
A player does not need to be a stud to spend your top waiver priority. At week 13 the waiver is already slim. By this time fantasy owners should have already been handcuffing their starters. Brian Westbrook can be a solid RB2. He will at least get 15-20 touches a game counting receptions. That value at the running back skill position is worth a top waiver priority. Then you factor into1. SF is a running team, they will not rely on Troy Smith (think NYJ)2. Westbrook is a veteran with proven success who has a career 60+ TDs3. Altho Westbrook is older with some wear and tear over the years he was barely used in 2010 and has fresh legs4. He has to compete with Dixon - a rookie with 2 total TDs in his career

Worth a #1 waiver priority?
I've been sitting on my #1 WW priority for months just waiting for a slam-dunk opportunity like this to unfold.The timing couldn't be more perfect as an Adrian Peterson owner who is on a bye for the first-round of my playoffs.It was looking grim till Gore went down and Westy blew up right before my eyes last night.I would say if you don't pull the trigger with your #1 waiver-wire position on Brian Westbrook that you won't find another golden opportunity like this in the remaining five games and will blow your top WW spot.My advice is to PULL THE TRIGGER on that top WW without any hesitation if you have the slightest need at RB or you will be kicking yourself.Just my humble opinion.

Dixon looked atrocious last night....so if the Cards are a terrible run defense and a RB looks terrible against them what does that say about them?? :banned: You're right Westy did look good and some of that was obviously the Card playing bad but he looked 10x better than Dixon....
He did? I thought he ran with power and lean. "Atrocious" is the absolutely the wrong adjective to describe Dixons performance last night.

Yes, i see the hype train is in full swing already, lol. The funny thing is that i hear people calling Westbrook "a stud waiting in the wings," another guy made a :lmao: when another poster dared to compared an aged Westbrook to one Brandon Jackson. I guess when the #1 RB gets hurt, everyone who thinks they are going to get the scrub backup believes that backup to be Walter Payton incarnate.

Prisoners of the moment, some of you are. (My yoda impression)Keep drinking the kool-aid. If Westy is such a stud why did it take him so long to get picked up, and why has he not spelled Gore at all really?Oh and, how long before Westy is hurt, AGAIN?I am the new guy here, not really, sign up dates mean nuthing. But at least I'm being realistic, he is old and injruy prone on a crappy team, who managed to do something against the very great can stop a moving train defense in Arizona.what ever you Gore owners need to do to make yourself feel better about losing him for the year. WESTY IS THE ANSWER.
Are you not familiar with Gore's history? He's never been spelled much by anyone. Westbrook certainly is an injury risk... however, by your own admission he's not been used at all this year. So we're looking for him to survive a 4 game stretch here.I don't think anybody's implying that Westbrook is a stud in the making... but he can most certainly contribute down the stretch. I am not a Gore owner, however for a measly $10 FA Pickup fee in my primary money league, he's worth every penny to stash behind my two primary backs of CJ and Foster for my playoff run. At the very least, he's a great block to avoid him contributing for another competitor. For people who can pick up him for free, or for a waiver priority or FAA$ that are rapidly becoming worthless as the season draws to a close... he's a no brainer. Unless you have a better place to spend that $? This hands-flailing, all-caps shtick you have going here is kinda sad. Slow down and take a deep breath. It's gong to be okay.

Dixon looked atrocious last night....so if the Cards are a terrible run defense and a RB looks terrible against them what does that say about them?? :lmao: You're right Westy did look good and some of that was obviously the Card playing bad but he looked 10x better than Dixon....
He did? I thought he ran with power and lean. "Atrocious" is the absolutely the wrong adjective to describe Dixons performance last night.
When Dixon was in on his TD he ran low and hard and looked good. He did not have great but he had decent blocking.On his next opportunity near the goal line the hole wasn't there so he stopped for a second and looked utterly lost. He didn't react quick enough and he didn't try to bounce it outside or cut back.

I would say that with Gore out and the way Westy took over that he has the job for the last five games.

Just heard a Singletary interview on local radio, and by the way Sing referred to Westbrook and Dixon I'm convinced even more that Westy is the upside play. I don't care what the experts say (and I know Rotoworld at least favors Dixon) the Niners are playing for their jobs and pride, and are not going to play Dixon just to see what he has for next year. I trust my eyes and Westbrook is more explosive, creative, and gives them a better chance to win. Plus, he was impressed with Westy last night.

Yes, i see the hype train is in full swing already, lol. The funny thing is that i hear people calling Westbrook "a stud waiting in the wings," another guy made a :confused: when another poster dared to compared an aged Westbrook to one Brandon Jackson. I guess when the #1 RB gets hurt, everyone who thinks they are going to get the scrub backup believes that backup to be Walter Payton incarnate.
Again with the hyperbole. Very few people here think he's Walter Peyton incarnate. However it is absurd to ignore the guy's tendency for production when he's got the starting role. I laughed at the BJax comparison becuase it's absurd. Westbrook has logged 10,000 yards from scrimmage and 60 Touchdowns. Brandon Jackson hasn't broken 2000 and 10. Westbrook has posted more points in a fantasy season than Jackson has in his career... multiple times.

Yes. Westbrook is old. Yes, he tends to get dinged up. However we're talking about a guy who just posted a 20pt game. We're talking about a guy that people are picking up for a 4 game stretch. And we're talking about getting that guy for next to nothing.

Unless you're looking to throw down the guarantee that "old guy with 9-10 years under his belt and appears washed up traveling to new team has no chance of posting good numbers". :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread