What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Washington Redskins 2013 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Sebowski

Footballguy
Lots going on right now. Overall, I'm trying to remember what a great year it was. 7 in a row. Winning the division week 17 vs. Dallas. Very special year in a vacuum. But..... What happened? What now?

Last edited by a moderator:
As of now, the stated recovery time is 6-8 months, which makes it possible he'll be ready week 1. I'm not sure why I have a really hard time believing that. Seems kind of crazy.

My top needs (in no particular order)

RT

WR

S

CB

Change-of-pace RB

Difference-maker on D, at any position

Lost in all the RG3 talk is that the Redskins are still pursuing a reduction in the cap penalty for 2013 and there has been some thought that they may actually be successful.

Griffin out for the season and we see what Cousins can do? My guess, back to another year of 6-10.
He's out 6-8 month from now...how do you figure he's out for the whole season?I can definitely see cousins starting the season but griffin will be available at some point. My question is: what if cousins gets off to a hot start and is, say, 3-1, before griffin is ready. Do they rush griffin back since they spent all those picks on him...or do the let cousins roll for a while?

My top needs (in particular order)

RT

WR

S

CB

Change-of-pace RB

At the top of the list I would put secondary help...also start preparing for fletchers departure some time in near future. Is Riley the man? This is a key cog as fletch is coach on the field.

Lost in all the RG3 talk is that the Redskins are still pursuing a reduction in the cap penalty for 2013 and there has been some thought that they may actually be successful.
That's good...is there an article or something with the latest?

List of the team's free agents (according to one site I've never heard of):

Code:
Player                Pos   StatusLorenzo Alexander      LB     UFAChris Baker            DT     UFABrandon Banks          WR     RFATom Compton             T     UFAChris Cooley           TE     UFAFred Davis             TE     UFAKedric Golston         DE     UFACedric Griffin         CB     UFARex Grossman           QB     UFARob Jackson            LB     UFADavid Jones            CB     UFABryan Kehl             LB     UFAKory Lichtensteiger     G     UFALogan Paulsen          TE     RFATyler Polumbus          T     UFAAldrick Robinson       WR     RFASav Rocca               P     UFANick Sundberg           C     RFAMadieu Williams         S     UFAChris Wilson           LB     UFADarrel Young           RB     RFA

Monday's Wash Post:
Mike Shanahan suggests Redskins not done with salary cap caseBy Mark Maske , Updated: January 7, 2013Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan suggested Monday that the team isn’t done contesting the $36 million in salary cap reductions over two years that it was given in March by the NFL.“I can’t answer that at this time,” Shanahan said. “So that means we’re still involved in it. Yes, we’re still involved in it. When I can speak about that, I will speak. But at this time, I can’t. I think that answers your question.”The league, with the consent of the players’ union, gave the Redskins a $36 million cap reduction over two years for the way in which the team structured players’ contracts during the sport’s season without a salary cap in 2010. The Dallas Cowboys were given a $10 million salary cap reduction over two years. The league ruled that the teams technically violated no salary cap rules but attempted to gain an unfair competitive advantage.The teams denied wrongdoing and challenged the cap reductions in an arbitration case. But that case was dismissed by an arbitrator in May. The union filed a collusion case against the league the following day, accusing teams of operating with a secret salary cap in the uncapped year. But a federal judge in Minnesota dismissed the union’s collusion case last week.Several people familiar with the case have said they believe it’s highly unlikely that the Redskins or Cowboys will be able to regain any of the salary cap space they’ve lost.

A person familiar with the situation said around 7 a.m. that Robert Griffin III’s surgery was underway. The person said Griffin’s lateral collateral ligament will be repaired and doctors will determine the extent of damage to his anterior cruciate ligament.That person denied a report by ESPN saying doctors already had diagnosed a complete ACL tear. It’s possible that extensive damage to Griffin’s ACL will be found but doctors had not determined that to be the case prior to the surgery, the person said.Before heading into surgery Griffin tweeted a message of thanks. @RGIII Thank you for your prayers and support. I love God, my family, my team, the fans, & I love this game. See you guys next season.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/01/09/robert-griffin-iii-surgery-is-at-7-a-m/

Monday's Wash Post:
Mike Shanahan suggests Redskins not done with salary cap case

By Mark Maske , Updated: January 7, 2013

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan suggested Monday that the team isn’t done contesting the $36 million in salary cap reductions over two years that it was given in March by the NFL.

“I can’t answer that at this time,” Shanahan said. “So that means we’re still involved in it. Yes, we’re still involved in it. When I can speak about that, I will speak. But at this time, I can’t. I think that answers your question.”

The league, with the consent of the players’ union, gave the Redskins a $36 million cap reduction over two years for the way in which the team structured players’ contracts during the sport’s season without a salary cap in 2010. The Dallas Cowboys were given a $10 million salary cap reduction over two years. The league ruled that the teams technically violated no salary cap rules but attempted to gain an unfair competitive advantage.

The teams denied wrongdoing and challenged the cap reductions in an arbitration case. But that case was dismissed by an arbitrator in May. The union filed a collusion case against the league the following day, accusing teams of operating with a secret salary cap in the uncapped year. But a federal judge in Minnesota dismissed the union’s collusion case last week.

Several people familiar with the case have said they believe it’s highly unlikely that the Redskins or Cowboys will be able to regain any of the salary cap space they’ve lost.
Hmm, I thought I heard Grant Paulsen or Chris Russell on the radio the other day saying "insiders" were confident they could regain a large chunk of it.

As of now, the stated recovery time is 6-8 months, which makes it possible he'll be ready week 1. I'm not sure why I have a really hard time believing that. Seems kind of crazy.
I know ESPN and others are saying 6-8 months but I dont understand where they are getting this. I thought the surgery was to see how bad the injury actually is.

I know ESPN and others are saying 6-8 months but I dont understand where they are getting this. I thought the surgery was to see how bad the injury actually is.
Yeah, that was the news last night. Then Mort says the ACL is torn and will be reconstructed. Now see the article Swing 51 just posted above and someone saying the story is still that they don't know about the ACL until they go in.

I see that today. Local news here yesterday reported 9-12 months, which is why I was saying he might miss the whole season. Guess for now, the answer is, "it depends."

ESPN website this morning still has RG needing surgery on ACL and LCL - I guess we shall see which reports are accurate in a few hours.http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8827480/sources-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-acl-lcl-surgery-ready-opener

RT

WR

S

CB

Change-of-pace RB

At the top of the list I would put secondary help...also start preparing for fletchers departure some time in near future. Is Riley the man? This is a key cog as fletch is coach on the field.
I think Safety is the biggest need, unless they believe they can count on Brandon Merriwether and Tanard Jackson. They apparently love Merriwether, so I could see them sticking with him even though he only played 2+ quarters this year. I have no clue what they think about Jackson.Lorenzo Alexander was London Fletcher's backup. I am not sure if they are looking at him as a possible replacement. It seems unlikely.

RT

WR

S

CB

Change-of-pace RB

Curious why you think WR is the 2nd biggest need this offseason? I'd think OL and secondary are the two biggest needs by a wide margin.

RT

WR

S

CB

Change-of-pace RB

Curious why you think WR is the 2nd biggest need this offseason? I'd think OL and secondary are the two biggest needs by a wide margin.
Because I forgot the word "no" in "in no particular order".I've edited my original post.
Oh, ok, no problem. I think we're actually fairly decent at WR, but it would be nice to have a big possession WR.

RT

WR

S

CB

Change-of-pace RB

Because I forgot the word "no" in "in no particular order".I've edited my original post.
Oh, ok, no problem. I think we're actually fairly decent at WR, but it would be nice to have a big possession WR.
We were only good at WR when Garcon played. His absence made it obvious to me that another WR would be very helpful. I don't want Morgan, Moss, or Hankerson in a starting role.

Sliding coach
I'm generally not a big fan of the "We must do whatever it takes to protect RG3" perspective. I'm one of those "It's football, S happens" type of people. But, yeah, he needs to learn how to slide. And I don't mean he needs to learn WHEN to slide...he literally needs to learn HOW to slide. He's better than Jason Campbell was, but that's not saying much.Also, he needs to reach the point where he knows it's ok to throw the ball away sometimes. I like his willingness to keep his eyes downfield, keep plays alive, and try to make a play. But, at times, he needs to just get rid of the ball.Those are the two main things he needs to improve in order to protect himself.From a non-injury related standpoint, he needs to work on moving within the pocket. He's obviously very good at getting out of the pocket and making a throw, but it would be very helpful if he could just sidestep in the pocket and make a throw.

I don't consider OL a particularly big need at all. If there's a good fit at RT, then I suppose I'd take it. But we have a Pro Bowl LT. An arguably Pro Bowl quality C. Steiger and Chester were excellent fits for the offense we run. Le Ribeus seems to provide decent depth, as does Hurt. I can't really evaluate S considering our top 2 are guys I didn't really see. If I had to rank the Skins' needs it would be something like.NT (I like Cofield, but this scheme would be more effective with a either a double team eating machine or a consistent inside penetrator)ILB (Fletch rallied impressively after a weak start, but the clock is ticking and the Skins just can't cover TEs).TE (Yes, Fred Davis is returning, but if there's one of those huge targets pass catching TEs available, I think it would be the best thing for both young QBs)CB

I think RG3 slides fine. I'm never going to tell a guy to slide when trying to make a first down on a key 4th quarter play. And the fact that play injured his knee is a complete fluke. If anything, I'd think that a knee is less likely to suffer ligament damage when a guy is flying through the air. He's far more likely to injure it standing in the pocket and getting hit low.

I don't consider OL a particularly big need at all. If there's a good fit at RT, then I suppose I'd take it. But we have a Pro Bowl LT. An arguably Pro Bowl quality C. Steiger and Chester were excellent fits for the offense we run. Le Ribeus seems to provide decent depth, as does Hurt. I can't really evaluate S considering our top 2 are guys I didn't really see. If I had to rank the Skins' needs it would be something like.NT (I like Cofield, but this scheme would be more effective with a either a double team eating machine or a consistent inside penetrator)ILB (Fletch rallied impressively after a weak start, but the clock is ticking and the Skins just can't cover TEs).TE (Yes, Fred Davis is returning, but if there's one of those huge targets pass catching TEs available, I think it would be the best thing for both young QBs)CB
Yikes...I couldn't disagree more with those team needs.D-line is their biggest strength and Cofield has been very solid. ILB isn't stacked, but it's lightyears beyond what they have in their DBs. Fred Davis is exactly what you're looking for at TE and he's already on the team. Not only that, but RG3 rarely even looks to the TE position.#1 team need is S, #2 is CB or O-line. The only reason the O-line looked decent this season is because RG3 was always scrambling away from the free runners in the backfield and making them miss. If Cousins was the QB all year for the Redskins, he would have been sacked 40 times.

'dgreen said:

Code:
Player                Pos   StatusLorenzo Alexander      LB     UFA--Keep for sureChris Baker            DT     UFA --mehBrandon Banks          WR     RFA--gonzoTom Compton             T     UFA-keepChris Cooley           TE     UFA--gonzoFred Davis             TE     UFA--???Kedric Golston         DE     UFA--mehCedric Griffin         CB     UFA--keep unless you can do betterRex Grossman           QB     UFA--might have to keep, at least a 1 year dealRob Jackson            LB     UFA--keep for sureDavid Jones            CB     UFA-?Bryan Kehl             LB     UFA-?Kory Lichtensteiger     G     UFA--keep, uless you can do betterLogan Paulsen          TE     RFA--keep for sureTyler Polumbus          T     UFA--depends on what's out thereAldrick Robinson       WR     RFA-mehSav Rocca               P     UFA--keep unless you can do betterNick Sundberg           C     RFA-keep unless you can do betterMadieu Williams         S     UFA--mehChris Wilson           LB     UFA-mehDarrel Young           RB     RFA-keep
My thoughts...

Latest tweets say:

RG3 had the ACL and LCL in his right knee repaired during his morning's surgery, a source confirms.
106.7 saying the surgery was successful (i.e. no complications). Curious if everyone is using the "repair" term correctly. If so, it means there were only partial tears.

The sliding coach comment was obviously a little tongue in cheek, but I think he can get a little smarter about how and when he exposes himself. Running 7-10 times a game doesn't really expose any more than a WR or immobile QB standing in the pocket. If he can be a little more strategic about when to slide or step out of bounds, meaning anytime a critical 1st down or the game isn't on the line, he can cut down the exposure even more.

'Sebowski said:
Lots going on right now.

Overall, I'm trying to remember what a great year it was. 7 in a row. Winning the division week 17 vs. Dallas. Very special year in a vacuum.
Who could have possibly predicted this:
Code:
Top 5 NFL teams in PPG1. New England    34.82. Denver         30.13. New Orleans    28.84. Washington     27.25. Green Bay      27.1
They also ranked well in many offensive drive stats. However, they were near the bottom in most defensive drive stats. And, unfortunately, I think a big part of their success in 2010 was due to turnovers. I say "unfortunately" because turnovers are generally random. While we obviously can't guarantee anything repeating from one year to another, turnovers are one stat that rarely correlates year-to-year.

'Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
TE (Yes, Fred Davis is returning, but if there's one of those huge targets pass catching TEs available, I think it would be the best thing for both young QBs)
Re: Bringing back Davis, I'm of the opinion that I'd like to see the 'Skins let him test the FA waters. The current active roster (which doesn't include Davis) showed that they can run the offense and run it very successfully. Why pay your TE millions if you can be a top 5 scoring offense without using a multi-million dollar TE? If the team needs to spend $5+ million on a receiver, I say put that money into signing a true #1 WR.

'Warrior said:
'Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Yikes...I couldn't disagree more with those team needs.D-line is their biggest strength and Cofield has been very solid. ILB isn't stacked, but it's lightyears beyond what they have in their DBs.
I just don't think the numbers show that. The Redskins had 32 sacks this year. They sacked the QB on 5.9% of dropbacks, which was in the bottom third of the league. I can't find blitz frequency numbers, but I'd wager that Haslett rushed 5 or more at a high frequency compared to the rest of the league. They were worst in the league on per rush basis against power runs. They were in the bottom third in the league in run stuffs as a percentage of rushes. When I say that TEs killed the Redskins, I mean it. Against the pass, the Redskins defense were "average" against targets to WR1s and WR2s. They were in the top 5 among targets to WR3s and below and RB's. The only receivers that the Skins D ended up with positive (or "bad") DVOA against was TEs, where the Redskins were in the bottom 5.This tells me that the Skins couldn't pressure the QB and let teams throw with virtual impunity. When teams did rush, the Skins didn't put them in long yardage situations. Whatever we felt going into the year, and whatever effect we felt losing Rak and Carriker had, the Redskins front seven simply was not a strength of the team this year.

'dgreen said:

Code:
Player                Pos   StatusLorenzo Alexander      LB     UFA--Keep for sureChris Baker            DT     UFA --mehBrandon Banks          WR     RFA--gonzoTom Compton             T     UFA-keepChris Cooley           TE     UFA--gonzoFred Davis             TE     UFA--???Kedric Golston         DE     UFA--mehCedric Griffin         CB     UFA--keep unless you can do betterRex Grossman           QB     UFA--might have to keep, at least a 1 year dealRob Jackson            LB     UFA--keep for sureDavid Jones            CB     UFA-?Bryan Kehl             LB     UFA-?Kory Lichtensteiger     G     UFA--keep, uless you can do betterLogan Paulsen          TE     RFA--keep for sureTyler Polumbus          T     UFA--depends on what's out thereAldrick Robinson       WR     RFA-mehSav Rocca               P     UFA--keep unless you can do betterNick Sundberg           C     RFA-keep unless you can do betterMadieu Williams         S     UFA--mehChris Wilson           LB     UFA-mehDarrel Young           RB     RFA-keep
My thoughts...
Some quick thoughts:Nick Sundberg is the guy went onto IR and was designates to return. And they brought him back as soon as he was eligible. The coaches must think very highly of him to want him back that much.The coaches apparently like Lorenzo Alexander a lot. And he was playing London Fletcher's backup, which is no small task. I think Alexander signs a long term deal.I don't really want to say anyone is a product of the system, but Litchensteiger is probably more valueable to the Redskins than any other team. So keeping him is a natural fit.The same could be said about Tyler Polumbus. He may be pretty inexpensive to keep.The coaches apparently like Cedric Griffin a lot and the 3rd CB plays a lot in this league. He had a decent year. They should try to bring him back, but he may be able to get big time money as a free agent.Rob Jackson made the most of his time starting. He looked good. Obviously the Redskins would like to keep him, but other teams may be able to give him more money and playing time. He will be backing up Orakpo and Kerrigan if he stays here.I think Fred Davis has a good relationship with the coaches. Having a major injury will keep his free agent offers down, which makes it more likely he will be re-signed.Rex Grossman is certainly worth re-signing to another one year deal, now that RGIII's health is in question. He conceivably could go into next season as the backup to a young, inexperieced QB (Cousins).Keeping restricted free agents is basically a no brainer in the NFL. That said, I doubt Brandon Banks will make the team next year. Sundburg, Paulson, Young would be locks to make the team. Robinson would be on the bubble.Tom Compton was a rookie this year. I can't believe he would be a RFA this offseason.

'dgreen said:
My top needs (in no particular order)

RT Tom CromptonRookie this year

WR Josh Cribbs

S Jairus Byrd Dashon Goldson

CB Aqib Talib? Did he resign with the Pats? Sean Smith

Change-of-pace RB Danny Woodhead

Some draft day guysDJ Fluker RT Bama, if this guy falls to the mid 2nd round. Would love to grab him

Xavier Rhodes CB FSU 6'2" :thumbup:

Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State

Dr. Andrews statement re: Griffin's knee surgery:
“Robert Griffin III had successful knee surgery early this morning. He had a direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction,” the statement said. “We expect a full recovery and it is everybody’s hope and belief that due to Robert’s high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season. The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career.”
Until I hear otherwise from Andrew's or the team, I'm still of the belief that an 8 month, full recovery is possible. The most positive thing from all this is that the clock has already started. With the surgery completed, his body is already on the way to recovery. :silverlining:

Article in today's Washington Post regarding a possible stadium in Washington, DC...

Redskins name change should be discussed, Vincent Gray says

The Redskins’ resurgence has District politicos once again talking about what it would take to relocate the team back inside the city limits. But Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) today suggested there would have to be a controversial prerequisite to any stadium deal: a name change, or at least discussion of one.

As Courtland Milloy reminded Washington Post readers today, the Redskins moniker has been under fire for decades for being, plainly, a racial slur. The team, under the ownership of both Jack Kent Cooke and Daniel M. Snyder, has resisted making a change.

“I think that if they get serious with the team coming back to Washington, there’s no doubt there’s going to have to be a discussion about that,” he said after a news conference, “and of course the team is going to have to work with us around that issue.”

Gray noted that many sports team -- including the Washington Bullets -- have discarded offensive names and/or mascots.

“I think it has become a lightning rod, and I would be love to be able to sit down with the team … and see if a change should be made,” he said. “There’s a precedent for this, and I think there needs to be a dispassionate discussion about this, and do the right thing.”

The mayor did not go so far as to call the Redskins name a “dealbreaker” but he did obliquely reference that the federal government, not the District, ultimately controls the land on which RFK Stadium now sits and on which a replacement football stadium would most likely be built.

Recall that the Redskins, under avowed racist owner George Preston Marshall, did not field a black player until 1962, after Interior Secretary Stewart Udall threatened to deny the team the use of what would later be named RFK Stadium unless it integrated.

Could a future federal official pull a Udall and threaten to keep the Redskins off federal land unless they changed their name? That would indeed be a dealbreaker.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mike-debonis/wp/2013/01/09/redskins-name-change-should-be-discussed-vincent-gray-says/?wprss=rss_local

I love Trent Williams.They had Richard Sherman miced up for NFL films. He was talking trash all game, then after the game walked up to Trent and said, "what you gonna do, boy?" Trent said "I'm gonna punch you in the face." Sherman said, "go ahead and do it" and Trent did. That's awesome.

'dgreen said:
'Arsenal of Doom said:
Sliding coach
Also, he needs to reach the point where he knows it's ok to throw the ball away sometimes. I like his willingness to keep his eyes downfield, keep plays alive, and try to make a play. But, at times, he needs to just get rid of the ball.
He's conscience of his completion percentage.

I love Trent Williams.They had Richard Sherman miced up for NFL films. He was talking trash all game, then after the game walked up to Trent and said, "what you gonna do, boy?" Trent said "I'm gonna punch you in the face." Sherman said, "go ahead and do it" and Trent did. That's awesome.
I like Trent a lot. He's the only guy I've seen just manhandle Demarcus Ware with consistency.

I don't know if I would honestly keep rooting for the team if they changed the name. Just wouldn't seem the same to me as someone who doesn't actually reside in the area. Would just be... weird.

The sliding coach comment was obviously a little tongue in cheek, but I think he can get a little smarter about how and when he exposes himself. Running 7-10 times a game doesn't really expose any more than a WR or immobile QB standing in the pocket. If he can be a little more strategic about when to slide or step out of bounds, meaning anytime a critical 1st down or the game isn't on the line, he can cut down the exposure even more.
The thing is, he really did get smarter with this as the season progressed. Remember, he injured himself in balt precisely because he was in a situation when the game ... And their season ...was on the line. That's when you will always take more of a chance...even a non mobile qwb will do that.But yeah...really running smart will be key next year...

Article in today's Washington Post regarding a possible stadium in Washington, DC...

:rolleyes: Anyone who still brings this up is either just looking for attention, and/or ignorant.
DC mayor Gray needs to worry about his entire staff being led away in handcuffs before he even thinks about bringing this up.

:rolleyes: Anyone who still brings this up is either just looking for attention, and/or ignorant.
DC mayor Gray needs to worry about his entire staff being led away in handcuffs before he even thinks about bringing this up.
Vincent Grey - A Paragon of Virtue

Dr. Bramel's "second opinion":
Most importantly, don’t mistake Peterson’s dramatic early return for a new norm in ACL recovery. Though it’s true that a total knee reconstruction is no longer a 12-18+ month injury, neither should an athlete be presumed to recover to full pre-injury form in six months.Griffin has an excellent chance at a full recovery and it’s possible that he’ll be off the PUP list in time for the first week of the 2013 season. But it’s best to temper your expectations for the first month of 2013, even if his recovery and rehabilitation go smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread