What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on Brandon Marshall (1 Viewer)

FalconsGuy81

Footballguy
So with Cutler out for at least 4 weeks and possibly 6 to 8, what are the prospects of Marshall going forward? Is now a good time to buy low on him if you don't have him or sell him if you do?

Disclaimer: I don't consider this assitant coach type stuff, I'm not looking for advice - more strategy; people's thoughts on Marshall's value whether they own him or not.

Marshall remains a target monster regardless - McCown is an 11 year vet. As an owner I wouldn't sell him for anything less than a low end 1 WR/RB. I think with a backup QB, Forte sees an increased role and defenses start keying him opening up things for Marshall & Jeffrey - I also think Marshall will be running a lot more crossing routes, out routes, & other short passes to make the QBs life easier.

Is it a good thing that Cutler got hurt? Obviously not, but I'm not going to give him away or stop starting the guy. Before he got to Chi I don't even remember who was throwing him the rock in Miami, but he was still a top 7/8 WR.

In short, I'm a little upset, but not in panick mode by any stretch.

Studs and stars get targeted heavily when back-ups come in. Expect teams to stack the box attempting to shut down Forte and force Chi to throw. The targets will be there. Said the same thing when people were questioning Vincent Jackson when Freeman was moved. May lose some but also a good chance that production increases

Studs and stars get targeted heavily when back-ups come in. Expect teams to stack the box attempting to shut down Forte and force Chi to throw. The targets will be there. Said the same thing when people were questioning Vincent Jackson when Freeman was moved. May lose some but also a good chance that production increases
I also got burned when I benched Cameron after Hoyer was named the QB.

Look at Marshall's QB's throughout his career. He was in Denver and Miami playing with talent pretty similar to this guy and still caught 100 balls over and over. Beast!

I concur. This guy gets balls thrown to him. He's not a timing WR who relies on precision. He's a huge target who can bail a QB out.

I think his value drops slightly...probably puts him closer to the top 7-10 tier of wrs, and not in the top 5 discussion, where he was at previously.

I checked the game log after McCown came in and he spread the ball around. However not even concerned about it and actually think that will help Marshall if McCown can get the ball to everyone. The bigger concern for us Marshall owners is they they stay in the hunt for a playoff spot. Don't need him going 1/2 ### out there with nothing to play for.

I think his value drops slightly...probably puts him closer to the top 7-10 tier of wrs, and not in the top 5 discussion, where he was at previously.
I would agree with that. With Cutler he had 118 catches last year. With the other chumps throwing to him he caught 101, 104, 102. So he probably still catches 100 balls, just not 120 balls. But with Cutler missing only 4-6 games, he could still catch maybe 110.

Rotoworld:

Brandon Marshall said he "doesn't like playing" against Cowboys CB Brandon Carr.

"I don’t like playing against Brandon Carr," Marshall said. "He presents a lot of tough challenges throughout a game. You’ll notice he changes up his game when he plays against bigger receivers. He’s strong. He’s physical. I absolutely hate the matchup. Every single play is a battle." Marshall has had a ton of success against Carr in the past. Since the start of 2008, Marshall has caught 17 passes for 275 yards and three touchdowns in five games versus Carr, per Pro Football Focus. Marshall is Rotoworld's No. 4 receiver for Week 14.

Related: Brandon Carr

Source: Dallas Morning News

Rotoworld:

Brandon Marshall said he "doesn't like playing" against Cowboys CB Brandon Carr.

"I don’t like playing against Brandon Carr," Marshall said. "He presents a lot of tough challenges throughout a game. You’ll notice he changes up his game when he plays against bigger receivers. He’s strong. He’s physical. I absolutely hate the matchup. Every single play is a battle." Marshall has had a ton of success against Carr in the past. Since the start of 2008, Marshall has caught 17 passes for 275 yards and three touchdowns in five games versus Carr, per Pro Football Focus. Marshall is Rotoworld's No. 4 receiver for Week 14.

Related: Brandon Carr

Source: Dallas Morning News
Is that supposed to be "hasn't had"? Because 17/275 breaks down to 3/55 on a per-game basis, which is well below Marshall's usual performance.

Not too worried regardless. Just thought it was odd that RW phrased it that way.

I'm more worried about week 15 - Wondering if Haden is locking up on Marshall or if he'll be playing one side and matching against Marshall/Jeffrey.

I'm more worried about week 15 - Wondering if Haden is locking up on Marshall or if he'll be playing one side and matching against Marshall/Jeffrey.
Jeffery's game last week was the best thing to happen to Marshall owners for the playoffs. No way do teams lock down Marshall allowing Jeffery to abuse them.

Haden is not perfect, but he's still the top cover corner in the NFL. His performances against the wr1s he faces every week are pretty darn impressive.

Brandon Marshall signs contract extension with BearsBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The Chicago Bears are keeping Brandon Marshall around for the long haul.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver on Monday signed a three-year, $30 million extension during a live taping of ABC's "The View."

To our knowledge, it's the first time Jenny McCarthy and Whoopi Goldberg have teamed to break league news.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the deal -- which runs through 2017 -- includes $23 million in guarantees, per a source informed of the pact. Marshall tweeted that $1 million of his earnings will be donated to support mental health awareness, a cause the wideout has been devoted to in recent years.

Marshall's previous deal was set to expire after this season, but there was little doubt he'd be re-signed. The 30-year-old pass-catcher is coming off back-to-back 100-catch, 1,000-yard, 10-touchdown campaigns -- the only NFC receiver do so over the past two years. He has crossed the 1,000-yard barrier in seven of his eight seasons since Denver grabbed him in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

After four seasons with the Broncos and two with the Dolphins, Marshall has seen his greatest success reuniting with Jay Cutler in Chicago. He's an ideal foil for fellow Bears wideout Alshon Jeffery, with the duo operating as a pick-your-poison combination for opposing defenses. We'd argue that Jeffery was the more dangerous target down the stretch, but he's aided by the constant attention given to Marshall.

When we spoke with Marshall on the "Around The League Podcast" in January, he promised that 2014 would be his finest season yet, calling it his version of Michael Jackson's "Thriller."

"I really believe I had a down year," he said of last season, citing injuries. "I'm going hard and I'm really going to revamp my whole game and come back a totally different player, something you guys never seen before."

The latest "Around The League Podcast" plays the post-draft version of the game "What's More Likely" and breaks down all the latest news.

@ESPNStatsInfo

Over the last two seasons, no player has had more passes thrown to him than Brandon Marshall (355 targets).
‏@NFL_CFB

Brandon Marshall's 2006 combine results were literally average among his peers: 4.52 40, 37.0 VJ, 10' BJ.
@danpompei

This is the hidden reason why signing Brandon Marshall to a contract extension was so important to the Bears: http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/8b451c95-a0ce-4433-ba34-3a90f7d7a7f1/?source=tw&action=prop&form_factor=desktop …

Guy takes a hometown discount because he loves Cutler. I love the move and love the man! What a stud!
Seems smart enough to figure out that staying with Cutler will produce #'s that keep him in the contract for the life of it instead of signing the big contract elsewhere that is backend loaded ($ he would never see with a crappy QB that can't get him the ball)...Greg Jennings.

Guy takes a hometown discount because he loves Cutler. I love the move and love the man! What a stud!
Seems smart enough to figure out that staying with Cutler will produce #'s that keep him in the contract for the life of it instead of signing the big contract elsewhere that is backend loaded ($ he would never see with a crappy QB that can't get him the ball)...Greg Jennings.
I've been telling people that the Jennings fiasco was a wake up call to other WR's. I expect Nelson to re-sign with the Packers as well.

Rotoworld:

Brandon Marshall - WR - Bears

The Bears have reportedly tweaked their scheme "to find creative ways to put [brandon] Marshall in more advantageous matchups."

Marshall is saying 2014 will be his Michael Jackson "Thriller" season. It makes sense, as he's not coming off any surgery for the first time in recent memory and has Bromance partner Jay Cutler fully healthy. Most importantly, he's in Year 2 with dominant passing game guru Marc Trestman at the controls. Marshall, still in his prime at age 30, is a very realistic candidate for a third straight 100-catch season.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 1 - 9:52 AM

Anyone have an update on Marshall's status this week?

Is he practicing, etc.?
Would you sit him after last week's performance even if he doesn't practice this week?
Maybe. That's why I asked if anyone had heard anything. :shrug:
Unless news breaks that someone pushed him down a flight of stairs, I don't see why you would even consider sitting him after he posted 3 TDs when most people expected him not to play.

Don't do this to yourself.

Rotoworld:

Brandon Marshall (ankle) is listed as questionable for Monday night's game against the Jets.

Marshall returned to a limited practice on Saturday, putting him on track to play. Alshon Jeffery (hamstring) is also listed as questionable, but is expected to start. Both are top-ten receivers against a Jets secondary that allowed 346 yards and three touchdowns to Aaron Rodgers last week. With CB Dee Milliner (quad) likely out, Marshall should match up with Darrin Walls, with Jeffery drawing Antonio Allen in coverage.

Sep 20 - 2:14 PM

Rotoworld:

Brandon Marshall aggravated his right ankle injury in the second quarter of Monday night's game against the Jets but later returned to start the second half.

Marshall hurt his ankle while blocking. He limped off the field under his own power before making his way to the locker room. Prior to exiting, Marshall had zero catches on three targets. He missed about seven minutes of game time.

Sep 22 - 9:39 PM

Rotoworld:

Brandon Marshall caught 1-of-6 targets for six yards in the Bears' Week 3 win over the Jets.

Marshall entered the night questionable due to his ankle injury. And in the second quarter, he re-tweaked the ankle while blocking.

Marshall missed about seven minutes of game action but returned to play the entire second half. He clearly wasn't 100 percent, and the offense went through Alshon Jeffery. Marshall will need to be watched again on a short week prior to next Sunday's showdown with the Packers at home. He'll likely be questionable once again.

Sep 23 - 12:30 AM

Do you think they will sit him this week? I keep seeing reports about the coaching staff taking a better look at his health.

Brandon Marshall (ankle) is practicing in full Wednesday.

It's great news after coach Marc Trestman said Monday that the Bears would have to take a "good look" at Marshall's health this week. Playing on one leg the past two games, Marshall has caught a total of three passes fro 25 yards as more of a decoy. Marshall will have to avoid setbacks the rest of the week, but it's looking like he'll be healthier for Week 5 against the Panthers.

Brandon Marshall (ankle) is practicing in full Wednesday.

It's great news after coach Marc Trestman said Monday that the Bears would have to take a "good look" at Marshall's health this week. Playing on one leg the past two games, Marshall has caught a total of three passes fro 25 yards as more of a decoy. Marshall will have to avoid setbacks the rest of the week, but it's looking like he'll be healthier for Week 5 against the Panthers.
:excited: Didn't expect that! :thumbup:

i'd love to see one of his 8/130/1+tds type of games. tho w/ bennett getting all those targets, it's going to be tough.

i'd love to see one of his 8/130/1+tds type of games. tho w/ bennett getting all those targets, it's going to be tough.
Bennett has been getting targets to compensate for Marshall and Jeffrey not getting them. The fact Cutler hasn't been forcing them the ball is great, since it forces defenses to spread coverage and not focus on Marshall or Jeffrey only.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, Bears coach Marc Trestman said Brandon Marshall needs more targets.

Despite looking 100 percent healthy, Marshall drew only five looks in Sunday's loss to the Panthers. It's self evident that Marshall needs more targets, but Trestman's comments are an indication the Bears will force the issue in Week 6. Marshall remains locked in as a WR1.

Source: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Oct 6 - 3:39 PM

Users who are viewing this thread