What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2014 San Diego Chargers **** (1 Viewer)

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty great offseason last year. The Chargers traded in Norv and AJ for McCoy and Telesco. They had a terrific draft (Fluker, Teo, Allen, S.Williams [who I think would have been the team's best corner this year], and a potential developmental guy in Sorensen. Tourek Williams made the active roster about half the time as well, so no complete misses.) They scored some bargains in free agency (Danny Woodhead, King Dunlap).

And then the way the team played over the final month+ of the season, you have to like the direction they are heading, right?

The schedule is favorable in 2014 as well. Its the NFC West and AFC East, but the Patriots and Seahawks games are home games. The Jaguars are also on the schedule. In comparison, the Broncos play the Patriots and Seahawks both on the road. Instead of the Jaguars, the Broncos drew the Colts.

From BoltBeat

The San Diego Chargers have a number of impending free agents for the offseason. Not all of them will be brought back, but Tom Telesco should likely look to bring some of these players back. Here is the list of players that are set to become free agents.Seyi Ajirotutu – Ajirotutu made one of the biggest catches of the season against theKansas City Chiefs and is a top-notch special teams player. If anything, he should be brought back for his ability to contribute on special teams. He can compete for a roster spot in training camp. His ability to play wide receiver and play special teams is a big plus.

Danario Alexander – Will the Chargers give Alexander another opportunity? His injury history is well-documented. He is a huge risk to sign. He showed that he can be a top level wide receiver with the Chargers if he is healthy though. We should make the doctor check him out and if he clears, give him another one-year deal.

Bront Bird – He is a special teams player and nothing more. He is a liability on the field if he has to play defense. Time to let him walk.

Donald Butler – Butler could have made a lot more money if he signed a deal last offseason. After his performance this season, his stock dropped off. He has shown potential, but didn’t live up to that level this year and again was injured and missed a few games this season. A pattern is starting to develop with him and those injuries. Butler should be the top priority for the team to re-sign.

Larry English – His contract finally has ended!

Lavelle Hawkins – Hawkins looked like he could provide some help in the return game and add some depth at the receiver position, but he was unable to get off the inactive roster all season. The team needed help in both areas during the year and Hawkins couldn’t crack the lineup. He doesn’t seem to be a fit.

Richard Marshall – Marshall ended the year as the team’s starter at cornerback across from Shareece Wright. He was the best option at the position, but that doesn’t mean he was a good option. Marshall is better off as depth in the secondary, but who will the Chargers have as a starter at corner?

Rich Ohrnberger – Ohrnberger is solid depth on the offensive line. He can play both center and guard. His versatility will be valuable. He provided big minutes in the playoffs against the Bengals and would be a nice option to bring back for depth.

Chad Rinehart – Rinehart was the starting left guard and we barely heard his name all season. That usually means good things for offensive linemen. His versatility was big for the team also. He started at both left guard and right guard during the year and should be brought back on a multi-year deal.

Steve Schilling – There is likely better depth players available.

Darrell Stuckey – Stuckey was the team’s Special Teams Player of the Year. He also contributed at safety this season and is a solid player on the roster.

Cam Thomas – As a starter, Thomas was a big disappointment. If he is brought back, it would have to be on a cheap deal and he would have to take a backup role. He would be good for depth on the defensive line andhe is best used on pass rushing situations.

Reggie Walker – Walker came over from the Cardinals in the offseason and was just known as a special teams stud. With the Chargers, he had to take on multiple roles and showed a lot of versatility. He started at middle linebacker and outside linebacker for the team and he filled his role well. He should be brought back for a couple more years.

Charlie Whitehurst – Clipboard Jesus help onto that clipboard like a pro. Time for Bran Sorensen to take that duty though.

They need a kick/Punt returner I dont like seeing Keenan Allen back there

Corners,Corner,Corners - one FA move and Draft 1 in round 1 or 2

Recent Mock I saw Taylor Lewand T - Michigan as the pick in round1, I could live with that

Capable back-up behind Mathews I perfer a 4th-5th round pick to be spent on one

The Chargers waived Alexander in August. Does that mean they have no affiliation with him, and thus can't really negotiate with him until free agency opens? I'm not sure how that works. I think they should sign him to a one year deal similar to last year if possible.

I think the team should resign Stuckey, Ohrnberger, and Ajirotutu, if possible and assuming each of them will agree to a reasonable deal.

I'm not sure about some of the others.

Per PFF, Butler graded out at -11.8 for the season, with negative ratings for all categories (run defense, pass rush, pass coverage). His grade ranked him as the #45 ILB out of 55 players who played at least 25% of their team's snaps. Most seem to feel it is a priority to resign him, is that based on an assumption that he will improve his play? If so, based on what?

Per PFF, Marshall graded out at -10.2 for the season, which ranked him as the #101 CB out of 110 players who played at least 25% of their team's snaps. Unfortunately, he still ranked higher than two other Chargers on the list (Wright and Cox). It should also be noted that he was the Chargers' 3rd highest rated special teams player, behind Weddle and Stuckey. It cannot be overstated how badly the Chargers need better CBs. I agree with others that they need to add at least 2 CBs this offseason. If they do that, I'm not sure if that means they should let Marshall go or try to keep him and get rid of others.

Thomas graded out in PFF's combined ranking of DTs and NTs as #48 out of 66 players who played at least 25% of their team's snaps, although he had a positive grade for run defense. I think they should let him go, but they have to know they can upgrade him via the draft or free agency. Certainly, upgrading Thomas is a lower priority than addressing CB. I find it interesting that the article above says he is best used as a pass rusher, because that is the area PFF graded him out the worst and contributed to his overall low rating.

Per PFF, Rinehart graded out at -2.4 for the season, which ranked him as the #42 G out of 81 players who played at least 25% of their team's snaps. He had a -6.1 grade for run blocking, though. Unfortunately, he graded out quite a bit higher than both Troutman and Clary, so I suppose they should resign him.

Per PFF, Walker graded out as the Chargers' second worst special teams player, despite playing in just 9 games. He also had negative grades at both OLB and ILB. Is that the kind of versatility the team should be looking for?

I realize PFF is not the be all, end all, but it's the only source I know of that puts out objective grades for all positions. Thoughts on these players?

Pretty great offseason last year. The Chargers traded in Norv and AJ for McCoy and Telesco. They had a terrific draft (Fluker, Teo, Allen, S.Williams [who I think would have been the team's best corner this year], and a potential developmental guy in Sorensen. Tourek Williams made the active roster about half the time as well, so no complete misses.) They scored some bargains in free agency (Danny Woodhead, King Dunlap).

And then the way the team played over the final month+ of the season, you have to like the direction they are heading, right?
I agree with all of this. I can think of three major negatives:

1. Letting Vasquez go. He is only 26 and just made 1st team All Pro. That was a big miss.

2. Signing Derek Cox to a $20M contract with $10M guaranteed. To call him a bust is putting it nicely.

3. They also brought in Johnny Patrick and Richard Marshall, neither of whom was good at CB. So, overall, they did a disastrous job of addressing that position last offseason.

But overall, they are indeed moving in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Mock I saw Taylor Lewand T - Michigan as the pick in round1, I could live with that

Agree strongly with all of these points. Allen's only participation on ST moving forward should be the hands team.

Ideally, I'd like a squirt-bug in the Sproles mode who could be the 3rd RB and also return kicks. Of course easier said than done.

Danario Alexander is done

There was a story about Malcolm Floyd "hoping" his career isnt done after the injury last year.

To me you start Allen & L.Green at WR, eddei royal as a sot/3rd down

BTW, what did everyone think of Manti? didnt notice him much out there, making plays or getting burnt.

Malcom Floyd hopes to continue playing Thu Jan 16, 07:45 PM

San Diego Chargers WR Malcom Floyd (neck) is still dealing with pain in his injured neck but hopes to be able to continue his playing career. Floyd has been told other players have come back from this injury but has also been told the injury could be career-threatening. He is scheduled to meet with a doctor in about a month to get a better idea about his playing future.

Footballguys view: Neck injuries are always tough to come back from and even if he does, he now has Keenan Allen to contend with to get his old job back. We wish him the best of luck in rehabbing and coming back, if he decides to do it.

Even if he can make it back, you just can't depend on Floyd. They need to find a guy worth starting at WR opposite Allen, but I wouldn't spend a high pick or big money doing so this season.

Like I said in the other thread, I think NT is the spot I'd be looking at first, then CB (multiple times), then a pass rusher, then OL depth, then an RB who could spell Mathews.

As mentioned above, the Chargers probably got a break with Butler's performance this year dropping his price - he's better than he played this year.

Even if he can make it back, you just can't depend on Floyd. They need to find a guy worth starting at WR opposite Allen, but I wouldn't spend a high pick or big money doing so this season.

Like I said in the other thread, I think NT is the spot I'd be looking at first, then CB (multiple times), then a pass rusher, then OL depth, then an RB who could spell Mathews.

As mentioned above, the Chargers probably got a break with Butler's performance this year dropping his price - he's better than he played this year.
To me Butler is a re-sign no brainer, sure his DVOA and all that look bad, but I think he looked great down the stretch especially with Melbin Ingram in the lineup

Nick Hardwick will consider retirement Sat Jan 18, 12:06 PM

San Diego Chargers C Nick Hardwick indicated he will consider retirement this offseason but will take his time before making a decision on his future

Agree strongly with all of these points. Allen's only participation on ST moving forward should be the hands team.

Ideally, I'd like a squirt-bug in the Sproles mode who could be the 3rd RB and also return kicks. Of course easier said than done.
woodhead is your Sproles clone, I would prefer a more complete back type to actually take Mathews role if (when) Ryan is hurt.

Woodhead is out of place badly as a feature RB, and Ronnie B just didnt have it any more (despite his long run vs Cincy)

Mathews is in the last year of his deal in 2014 IIRC and his replacement could be drafted in this draft, the FO and coaching staff have zero ties to him, so dont be surprised if a 2nd or 3rd rounder is used on a RB in a draft that has plenty of quality depth at the spot.

Riversco said:
Definitely should draft an RB higher than the 5th round.
I'd like them to get Charles Sims in the 4th but they'll probably need to take him in the 3rd to get him.

The Chargers waived Alexander in August. Does that mean they have no affiliation with him, and thus can't really negotiate with him until free agency opens? I'm not sure how that works. I think they should sign him to a one year deal similar to last year if possible.
Doesn't sound like Alexander will be an option. From Rotoworld:

Free agent Danario Alexander underwent a second surgery on his torn right ACL in January.

Alexander tore the ACL on August 6 and had surgery on August 15. Per the Union-Tribune San Diego, Alexander's latest procedure was a "revision ACL surgery" performed as a "followup," and may make him "unavailable" for the start of 2014 training camp. Sources say "DX" still hopes to play next season, though he's considered "unlikely" to be re-signed by the Chargers. Alexander has now undergone two right knee surgeries and a whopping five operations on his left knee stemming from recurring college injuries. His career is in obvious doubt. Feb 7 - 1:06 AM

Stuckey signed a muti-year deal as well. So the top two FA priorities have re-signed. Excellent news.

I saw speculation today that Hakeem Nicks was open to signing a 1 year deal with a team who has an elite QB in order to resurrect his value for a larger deal next offseason. Why wouldn't we jump at the chance? He'd be an excellent compliment to Allen. With Royal in the slot, and Green/Gates, that's a LOT of weapons on the field in 3 WR, or 2 WR, 2 TE sets.

How about signing Rashad Jennings? I view him like a younger (29) Ronnie Brown. Looked good running and receiving last year.

The free agency moves need to be better
If by "better" you mean "higher profile," don't hold your breath. Dwight Freeney was somewhat high profile, but he was an exception because Telesco was already so familiar with him. Expect the huge majority of Telesco's free agent signings to be more of the King Dunlap or Danny Woodhead variety in terms of price range.

(I'm talking about signing guys from other teams, not about Donald Butler situations.)

If by "better" you mean "higher profile," don't hold your breath. Dwight Freeney was somewhat high profile, but he was an exception because Telesco was already so familiar with him. Expect the huge majority of Telesco's free agent signings to be more of the King Dunlap or Danny Woodhead variety in terms of price range.

(I'm talking about signing guys from other teams, not about Donald Butler situations.)
Can someone rundown all of Telesco's free agent signings to date with the Chargers, including resignings? And also who he has chosen not to resign?

Or maybe point to an article that reviews this info?

My sense is that he has a good track record so far, but probably not as good as many here believe. I'd like to see an objective assessment of his track record.

I thought freeney was an awful move, as was cox at cb.

Woodhead was decent but he has his limitations

I thought freeney was an awful move, as was cox at cb.

Woodhead was decent but he has his limitations
Wow. I see that as exactly opposite. Freeney was good with pressure but not much in sacks...not even one iirc (1/2?) Cox was at best ...um ... well he was released. Woodhead meanwhile got the job done as 3rd down back. LOVED the effort from Woodhead. Injury aside, we all knew Freeney was a reach at his age.

Woodhead:

San Diego Chargers 16 2 106 429 4.0 14 2 76 605 8.0 39 6 2 2

Woodhead and Dunlap were fantastic signings for the price. Freeney was getting consistent pressure before he got hurt; the sacks would have come. Cox was terrible, but you can't win 'em all.

The Chargers' philosophy is not to go after high-priced free agents. It was lucky to get such great production out of bargain-basement FA signings like Woodhead and Dunlap. It would be great if that happened every year, but that's not realistic. The Chargers' 2013 free-agent class, even when you include a bust like Cox, was better than we can rationally expect from their future classes.

Woodhead and Dunlap were fantastic signings for the price. Freeney was getting consistent pressure before he got hurt; the sacks would have come. Cox was terrible, but you can't win 'em all.

The Chargers' philosophy is not to go after high-priced free agents. It was lucky to get such great production out of bargain-basement FA signings like Woodhead and Dunlap. It would be great if that happened every year, but that's not realistic. The Chargers' 2013 free-agent class, even when you include a bust like Cox, was better than we can rationally expect from their future classes.
Marshall was another signing who didn't play well. And letting Vazquez go was a terrible decision.

I'm sure there are others, I just haven't had time to look through the whole list yet.

Now they have signed Donald Brown for $10.5M over 3 years. WTF?

Marshall was another signing who didn't play well. And letting Vazquez go was a terrible decision.

I'm sure there are others, I just haven't had time to look through the whole list yet.

Now they have signed Donald Brown for $10.5M over 3 years. WTF?
Matthews is as good as gone next year, I'd think.

Some good RB's coming out next year and I can see them going RB in the (hopefully) late 1st.

So you guys are in favor of the Brown signing? Even if they plan to let Mathews walk next year, I don't see the need to sign Brown for $10.5M now. IMO they should have just filled the hole next year and used the resources on a more pressing need this year.

So you guys are in favor of the Brown signing? Even if they plan to let Mathews walk next year, I don't see the need to sign Brown for $10.5M now. IMO they should have just filled the hole next year and used the resources on a more pressing need this year.
Obviously I don't love it but it's that or use a mid-late pick on a RB that may or may not pan out. The Bolts have less than $10M at RB and have a better backfield than they did last year.

Having a capable backup RB is ESSENTIAL to our offense. We all saw what happened when Matthews went down. This year in particular, the RB crop isn't very strong IMO. Brown is a guy that can run the offense and allow Woodhead to remain as the pass catching threat. It's a strong signing.

I would also much rather use those mid round picks on WR's when it's a draft that is so loaded at the position. Much better value.

Looking back to last year, hard to hold much against the new GM.

Obviously Cox was a complete bust, but most sites/services actually liked him as a pickup last year so it's kinda ridiculous to look back at it and consider that a terrible team decision ala Gaither since I didnt see any warning signs that he would implode. As for Marshall, he was picked up late in the offseason as a supposed improvement as a nickel defender and was forced into a starting role. He was mediocre at both. I don't think you can really blame Telesco because he thought he had one solid starter in Wright and an up-and-comer in Cox on the other side.

I have bigger problems with the reluctance to move on from Jeromey Clary. Nothing against the guy personally but he has eeked every last dollar out of being mediocre. I mean crap, he is the the 4th highest paid player on the team.

As for the positives, Rinehart, Dunlap, Ohrnberger, Feeney, and Woodhead were all very reasonably priced signings that exceeded expectations when healthy.

Unfortunately, they have to try to fix the secondary over again but also can't forget to look at the defensive line, where Reyes, Liuget, and Thomas all had underwhelming years.

Obviously I don't love it but it's that or use a mid-late pick on a RB that may or may not pan out. The Bolts have less than $10M at RB and have a better backfield than they did last year.
:goodposting: Now we can attack other positions in the draft and aren't totally screwed if Mathews goes down.
$4M guaranteed for Brown. Seems like he's cuttable if he doesn't fill his role.

I like the fact that Telesco is fishing in familiar waters w/re to DBrown and Conner. He has first hand knowledge of the makeup and presence these guys bring, qualities that are difficult to measure w/o first hand experience.

Brandon Ghee agrees to terms Thu Mar 13, 08:06 PM

The San Diego Chargers have agreed to terms with free-agent CB Brandon Ghee (Bengals) on a two-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Users who are viewing this thread