What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gabriel Era Genesis (1 Viewer)

Amused to Death

Footballguy
Much like the very early Floyd, this era of Genesis was vastly different from what the band ultimately became. Both bands eventually gained commercial success but the roots were far more "proggy" and experimental. Unlike Floyd, early Genesis relies more on characters and stories rather than spacey experimental music.

1972 Complete show recorded for TV. About 30 minutes from the Nursery Cryme era Includes "Fountain of Salmacis",, "Twilight Alehouse", "Musical Box" and "Return of the Giant Hogweed"

1973 Full concert running about an hour. Great quality video & audio. Probably the best I've seen from this era. Gabriel at his full theatrical best! The costumes, face paint, stories...if you've never seen this era of Gabriel/Genesis its a must-watch. All the classics of the time are played here - "Watcher of the Skies", "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" & and wonderful "Supper's Ready"

"Watcher of the Skies" Also from '73. Very haunting.

1974 "Supper's Ready" This version is not as good as the '73 show, but shows the evolution of the band, their stage setup and more of Gabriel's costumes and stage antics.

Live "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" Video quality is pretty good, not great - but the audio is excellent. This is about half of the full show. There's a complete version but imo the video is worse.

The Lamb is probably my favorite Genesis album. Having this rare concert footage to go with it is awesome.

Genesis 1970-1975 Documentary

Showtime has been playing the Genesis documentary - Sum of the Parts. Its good, brought me back to some of the music of theirs that I had forgotten about, mainly in the Duke era.
I knew very little about the early history of the band, and was a relatively late adopter of their music. I wore out my copy of Invisible Touch and saw the We Can't Dance tour, but was only vaguely familiar with the Gabriel-era stuff other than he was once their lead singer and I liked a lot of Gabriel's solo work.I nodded in agreement when the doc mentioned the title track from Invisible Touch and Sledgehammer by Gabriel went #1 at about the same time.

And I was definitely in the category of fan Mike Rutherford discussed who would come to a Genesis concert expecting a string of pop hits, but walk away with a different impression of the band after hearing and seeing the longer album tracks. I was blown away seeing Home By The Sea played live with two drum kits going.

Many thanks to the OP for the links to the older Genesis shows. I was fascinated by the live clips from that era shown in Sum Of The Parts.

Showtime has been playing the Genesis documentary - Sum of the Parts. Its good, brought me back to some of the music of theirs that I had forgotten about, mainly in the Duke era.
I knew very little about the early history of the band, and was a relatively late adopter of their music. I wore out my copy of Invisible Touch and saw the We Can't Dance tour, but was only vaguely familiar with the Gabriel-era stuff other than he was once their lead singer and I liked a lot of Gabriel's solo work.I nodded in agreement when the doc mentioned the title track from Invisible Touch and Sledgehammer by Gabriel went #1 at about the same time.

And I was definitely in the category of fan Mike Rutherford discussed who would come to a Genesis concert expecting a string of pop hits, but walk away with a different impression of the band after hearing and seeing the longer album tracks. I was blown away seeing Home By The Sea played live with two drum kits going.

Many thanks to the OP for the links to the older Genesis shows. I was fascinated by the live clips from that era shown in Sum Of The Parts.
I liked how they weaved a bit to and from with the guys careers, it wasn't just Genesis and nothing else. They talked a bit about the guys solo stuff and how it fit with the band.

Took me a while to sit down and watch the whole thing end to end. I had seen parts of it when I would find it art of the way done. I think I've seen the middle third a half dozen times.

Its such a contrast between the later Genesis and Peter Gabriel hits vs. what they were playing in '73/'74. PG going from the bizarre costumes and theatrics to "Solsbury Hill" just 3 years later. And the Collins-led Genesis evolving into "Trick of the Tail".

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen Sum of the Parts and I don't have Showtime, but I did find this 90 minute documentary on youtube. Covers the history of the band from when they met at the Charterhouse school thru 1990 (doc made in '91). Also has a fair amount of their solo careers.

Amused to Death said:
Its such a contrast between the later Genesis and Peter Gabriel hits vs. what they were playing in '73/'74. PG going from the bizarre costumes and theatrics to "Solsbury Hill" just 3 years later. And the Collins-led Genesis evolving into "Trick of the Tail".
Absolutely.

As I mentioned earlier, I mainly knew Gabriel as the solo artist who made innovative videos to synthesizer-driven songs, plus political stuff like "Biko". When I watched Sum Of The Parts, I didn't recognize young Gabriel right away, and all the makeup and weird-### costumes didn't help. He was a compelling performer as Genesis frontman, even if I didn't quite "get" all the costume stuff. It did help me appreciate how and why he was such an unconventional video creator once MTV rolled in.

One of first pieces of film footage the doc showed of Gabriel post-Genesis was performing "Solsbury Hill" live in '77, and I couldn't believe the transformation, even though it was to the Gabriel I knew before. It was fascinating.

Ex-Genesis Guitarist Steve Hackett Upset He Wasn't "Equally Represented" in Band's Recent Documentary

Earlier this month, the 2014 Genesis documentary Sum of the Parts, which premiered in the U.S. on Showtime in October, was released on DVD and Blu-ray. The film featured brand-new interviews with all five members of the band’s classic early 1970s lineup, including guitarist Steve Hackett. The doc focused on the group’s history as well as each member’s solo career, but Hackett tells ABC News Radio that he wasn’t very happy about the amount of coverage his own work outside of the group was given.

“I got on board believing, naively perhaps, that we would all be equally represented,” he says. “But the short of it is, I did two hours to camera on my own and two hours with the band sitting ’round, but it was heavily butchered in the cutting room stage…And I think something that was presented initially as an idea of something completely democratic ended up being something other than that.”

Hackett says he was much happier with the 2014 companion compilation, R-Kive, on which the band members collaborated in conjunction with the documentary.

“I perhaps mistakenly thought that because of the album that we were all working on together that we were all Genesis and we were all equals once more, but sadly it’s not to be,” he laments.

He adds that the experience he had with the film project makes him doubt that the band members will be able to come together for any type of reunion.

“When people ask me…is there gonna be a reformation, I say, ‘[L]ook at the documentary and you’ll get an idea of the priorities that come across,” says Hackett, “and I think it’s probably extremely unlikely.”

Having said that, the guitar virtuoso tells ABC News Radio that he still would be open to playing with his ex-band mates if by some chance they all agreed to a reunion.

“I think that I’ve always been up for that,” he admits. “It’s been decades I’ve been saying, ‘Call me if you need me.’ So, my door’s open to that, certainly.”

As for Hackett’s upcoming plans, he will be bringing his Genesis Extended tribute tour to South America in March. Then, on April 7, he will release a new solo album titled Wolflight. Visit HackettSongs.com for all the latest news on Steve.

Ex-Genesis Guitarist Steve Hackett Upset He Wasn't "Equally Represented" in Band's Recent DocumentaryEarlier this month, the 2014 Genesis documentary Sum of the Parts, which premiered in the U.S. on Showtime in October, was released on DVD and Blu-ray. The film featured brand-new interviews with all five members of the band’s classic early 1970s lineup, including guitarist Steve Hackett. The doc focused on the group’s history as well as each member’s solo career, but Hackett tells ABC News Radio that he wasn’t very happy about the amount of coverage his own work outside of the group was given.

“I got on board believing, naively perhaps, that we would all be equally represented,” he says. “But the short of it is, I did two hours to camera on my own and two hours with the band sitting ’round, but it was heavily butchered in the cutting room stage…And I think something that was presented initially as an idea of something completely democratic ended up being something other than that.”

Hackett says he was much happier with the 2014 companion compilation, R-Kive, on which the band members collaborated in conjunction with the documentary.

“I perhaps mistakenly thought that because of the album that we were all working on together that we were all Genesis and we were all equals once more, but sadly it’s not to be,” he laments.

He adds that the experience he had with the film project makes him doubt that the band members will be able to come together for any type of reunion.

“When people ask me…is there gonna be a reformation, I say, ‘[L]ook at the documentary and you’ll get an idea of the priorities that come across,” says Hackett, “and I think it’s probably extremely unlikely.”

Having said that, the guitar virtuoso tells ABC News Radio that he still would be open to playing with his ex-band mates if by some chance they all agreed to a reunion.

“I think that I’ve always been up for that,” he admits. “It’s been decades I’ve been saying, ‘Call me if you need me.’ So, my door’s open to that, certainly.”

As for Hackett’s upcoming plans, he will be bringing his Genesis Extended tribute tour to South America in March. Then, on April 7, he will release a new solo album titled Wolflight. Visit HackettSongs.com for all the latest news on Steve.
Is it sort of like how offensive linemen don't get the same sort of attention? Important to the game, just viewed as unimportant by the general public.

Users who are viewing this thread