What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Murray (1 Viewer)

Best Movie

• Stripes

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Groundhog Day

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Caddyshack

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Ghostbusters

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Kingpin

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Ed Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What About Bob

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Quick Change

• Scrooged

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Razor's Edge

• Rushmore

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Meatballs

• Life Aquatic With Steve Issou

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Lost In Translation

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Other

• Total voters
"Ed Wood" for me .... and he was great in "Lost In Translation" ... needs to be on that list, instead of hitting "other" ..

Caddyshack might be the best movie, but Murray had a lesser role. Stripes was the best movie where Murray was the central character. I thought Groundhog Day was his best performance.

groundhog day was his best role

caddyshack might have been the best movie but i wouldn't call it a "bill murray movie" it was a huge ensemble cast

I agree that there's a distinction to be made between his best role and the best movie.

Best movie -- Rushmore

Best role -- really tough call. Probably go with either What About Bob or Kingpin.

The potato race? Damn it. Don't they know you're just a kid?
Mmmmm. Look at all those steaming wieners. Do you know what they're saying? They're saying, "This is the year that Fink beats 'The Stomach'."... No, it's a couple of them over here... but they're saying it.

Caddyshack might be the best movie, but Murray had a lesser role. Stripes was the best movie where Murray was the central character. I thought Groundhog Day was his best performance.
:lmao: voted for Groundhog Day!
:angry: :lmao: I voted Groundhog Day. It holds up very well and has great replayability.
It's good to see all the love that Groundhog Day gets. I don't think Stripes holds up nearly as well.On a side note, Quick Change is a great little movie.

Also like to add that I didn't know until recently that his brother is an actor too. Most notable roles include the mayor in Groundhog Day and the CEO in Christmas Vacation who is kidnapped at the end of the movie. Also was in the original Vacation as the Camp mgr too I believe. I really didn't know the back story but apparently he pushed Bill to get into acting.

Also like to add that I didn't know until recently that his brother is an actor too. Most notable roles include the mayor in Groundhog Day and the CEO in Christmas Vacation who is kidnapped at the end of the movie. Also was in the original Vacation as the Camp mgr too I believe. I really didn't know the back story but apparently he pushed Bill to get into acting.
That's interesting to know about his brother.

:goodposting: one of the best actors of his genre.

Went with Groundhog Day but could have easily been Bob, Stripes, Scrooged or Ghostbusters.

Last edited by a moderator:
:popcorn: This about sums it up for me.ETA: Voted for Stripes, I still watch the whole movie anytime I see it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone not voting Caddyshack is reading too much into the poll question, IMO. The criteria is "Bill Murray, Best Movie", and nothing else. Nothing about % of screen time, lead role, etc.

What About Bob is a nice sleeper. Still holds up after 20 years.

Razor's Edge.

Groundhog Day is a very close second and his best comedy.

Caddyshack has a special place because of all of his improvised lines, shot in six days.

there are two murray roles. those that are played for laughs and ones that are still funny. for laughs, i think it is "Quick change" and the other role would be "rushmore". i think "rushmore" is a much, much better movie but "quick change" is classic murray.

Don't forget John Murray, star of Moving Violations. Oh wait, maybe you should forget about him. Makes Jim Belushi's career seem epic in comparison.Brian Doyle Murray is worthy of his own poll, with Sixteen Candles, Seinfeld, Cabin Boy and Get a Life (Gus) under his belt. Plus he wrote Caddyshack, so he's get that going for him. Which is nice.

Funniest role is What about Bob

The Life Aquatic is probably my favorite and Rushmore was great. His best dramatic role may have been Broken Flowers, that movie was great and Lost in Translation was very good also. Where the Buffalo Roam is severely underrated as well.

One other really good role was Quick Change, had a couple of all-time great lines in that one.

...and he said to Miss Cochran here "up your butt with a coconut." But I saw no coconut, no there was no coconut to my knowledge..

Honestly, I'd watch pretty much anything will Bill Murray in it. Steve Martin on the other hand, i just don't "get"

Groundhog Day.

I hated his character in Caddyshack.
:goodposting:
He played a buffoon. Other than 10 year-olds and drunk college kids, you don't see how that could be unappealing to an adult?
Really? Adults can't find humor in buffoons?
I didn't say "that is unappealing to an adult", I said "that could be unappealing to an adult". Adults can't find buffoons unappealing?
Eww ...you just gave me the cramps with this snark.

Honestly, I'd watch pretty much anything will Bill Murray in it. Steve Martin on the other hand, i just don't "get"
Agree 100%.Voted Groundhog Day because I think it holds up well and is definitely a Bill Murray vehicle. The second half of Stripes is unwatchable. Caddyshack is criminally overrated. But for Rodney and a few other scenes it's pretty mediocre.

Groundhog Day.

I hated his character in Caddyshack.
:confused:
He played a buffoon. Other than 10 year-olds and drunk college kids, you don't see how that could be unappealing to an adult?
Really? Adults can't find humor in buffoons?
The 2004 election proved that wrong.Never has a premise fit a great performer's talents like Groundhog Day matched Murray's and the filmmakers were bright enough to notice that their film could be rounded into something almost important, as well as funny, by chasing that instinct. Easily the the best romantic comedy ever and often much more.

Users who are viewing this thread