What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Horizons - Mission to Pluto (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Link

I remember when this launched back in 2006. I was so excited that we would finally get pictures of Pluto. And then it hit me just how long we'd actually have to wait. Seemed like forever. But we are now officially less than one year away from Pluto!

Link

I remember when this launched back in 2006. I was so excited that we would finally get pictures of Pluto. And then it hit me just how long we'd actually have to wait. Seemed like forever. But we are now officially less than one year away from Pluto!
:clap:

Looks like May 5th of 2015 will be the first day that we see Pluto better than we do now with the Hubble Telescope.

Good article

Craziest quote from the article:

Granted, the 14 July rendezvous is going to be just a flyby. New Horizons is going too fast (at 13km/s at encounter) and Pluto's gravity is too small to think about going into orbit around the 2,300km-wide body. But the probe's seven instruments will capture such a blaze of data that I don't think we'll be disappointed.

And here's the interesting thing. At a distance of 5bn km and with a 15-watt transmitter, New Horizons will downlink its information at 3,000 bits per second - at best. If you can bear to recall the bad old days of dial-up internet, you'll realise this is painfully slow.

It'll take an hour to send back one compressed picture; it will take a full 16 MONTHS to return every bit of information gathered during the flyby.

New Horizons is now closer to Pluto than Earth is to the sun. Here are the best pictures so far (but there's not much to see, yet.)

Pluto self identifies as a planet. Time to call it what it is.

Also, this video gave me goosebumps and has me so excited for next month.

TheIronSheik said:
Pluto self identifies as a planet. Time to call it what it is.

Also, this video gave me goosebumps and has me so excited for next month.
Definite Mass Effect feel wih the music and narrator.

One week away from the Pluto fly by. So excited! Science Channel is having a one hour special next Tuesday about the fly by, in case anyone wants to set their DVR.

Users who are viewing this thread