What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which prospect would you want: Michael Wacha or Jurickson Profar? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Dynasty league, start C,1B,2B,3B,SS,MI,CI,OF,OF,OF,OF,DH,DH / 9 Pitchers

Not taking need into account, which prospect would you prefer?

Not taking need into account, which prospect would you prefer?
Most of my roster decisions are based on what the rest of my team looks like.

On this team I prefer Profar

Starting pitchers - Max/Cliff Lee/Gio/Arrieta/Ross/Fister/H Alvarez/Lackey/Beckett/Hahn/Masterson

On this team I prefer Wacha

Starting pitchers - Wainwright/Verlander/Gray/Ross/Lincecum, probably not re-signing Verlander because he's expensive and no longer a stud

Profar. Even though he has more injury history than Wacha, Ill still take a position player over a pitcher. Especially one like Profar who plays MI and has such a high ceiling. He was the next big thing just 2 years ago.

Wacha and its not even close
He's young and still developing, but I am not seeing an elite skill set. Most of his periph's are good, but not great. Positional scarcity bridges the gap between them, so it really depends on the rest of your team. Both look like good players with great potential (although Wacha is the only one with a real sample) but one player is easier to replace - the pitcher.

Normally I'd go with the bat over an arm. TINSTAAPP.

But I'm not sold on Profar as a fantasy contributor. He doesn't have plus power or speed so he's not going to contribute across the board. He's young though and the power may develop in a few years.

Profar. Even though he has more injury history than Wacha, Ill still take a position player over a pitcher. Especially one like Profar who plays MI and has such a high ceiling. He was the next big thing just 2 years ago.
:goodposting:

Position player all day over starting pitcher, plus shoulder injuries are a huge red flag for pitchers, even more so than elbow problems.

Position player all day over starting pitcher, plus shoulder injuries are a huge red flag for pitchers, even more so than elbow problems.
What do you think Profar's ceiling is? He doesn't seem especially great at anything and his previous high ranking could have been overrating him?

Normally I'd go with the bat over an arm. TINSTAAPP.

But I'm not sold on Profar as a fantasy contributor. He doesn't have plus power or speed so he's not going to contribute across the board. He's young though and the power may develop in a few years.
Pretty much exactly what I would have posted. Only close in the sense that any hitter with a pulse should be considered vs a pitcher. There are just not that many examples of guys being big fantasy players without many HRs or big SB numbers. I guess you could hope he has a Rollins type career, but he could just as easily be Martin Prado with good defense.

What do you think Profar's ceiling is? He doesn't seem especially great at anything and his previous high ranking could have been overrating him?
I don't think Profar's high ranking was overrating him. It's just that he's a better real-life prospect than fantasy. He projects as a plus defender in middle infield who will provide solid but unspectacular offensive numbers. That helps the Rangers more than it helps fantasy owners.

Dustin Pedroia?

I'm thinking Profar. Shoulder injuries scare the hell out of me and a MI position player is harder to replace than a pitcher. It may take Profar longer to become fantasy relevant, but once he does he's going to be the more valuable player. He may be a tad better baseball player than fantasy player, but still worth more than Wacha IMO.

:shrug: Developing some more power, hitting 2nd or 3rd in the lineup, producing solid numbers across the board and qualifying at SS, I suppose? Ive never played in a dynasty league, but if it means what I think it means, all the more reason to take a 21yo MI over any pitcher.

I'm in a dynasty league and a good portion of my pitching staff has been built from the free agent draft and waivers. Basically everyone from that roster above except for Max, Cliff, and Gio. I wouldn't have traded for Max had I known Arrieta, Alvarez, and Hahn would do what they've done over the last month either.

I ended up trading Ryan Zimmerman and Jurickson Profar for Jason Heyward and Michael Wacha. I think I can live with that. I needed a bump on the other end of the trade for giving up Profar and I like Heyward a lot more than Zimmerman.

Heyward is worthless. What can you possibly like about him? Hes a better RL player than fantasy player. Hes nothing more than a great athlete with a big goofy swing. Hell never amount to much as a hitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heyward is worthless. What can you possibly like about him? Hes a better RL player than fantasy player. Hes nothing more than a great athlete with a big goofy swing. Hell never amount to much as a hitter.
I disagree. I think he has plenty of talent and is still very young. In dynasty leagues he's still a valuable piece long term IMO and certainly more valuable than Ryan Zimmerman.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. I think he has plenty of talent and is still very young. In dynasty leagues he's still a valuable piece long term IMO and certainly more valuable than Ryan Zimmerman.
agreed, his improving k rate looks like a skills progression. Swgstrk, o swing, a swing, o contact, and a contact all improving. His hr/fb looks like an outlier. He made a lot of progress vs lefties last year, so expecting that to bounce bck some too. He's probably not going to hit 300 with that many fly balls, but I think he's more of a 275 hitter, hr rate normalizes and he is more of a 20-25 hr hitter.

Users who are viewing this thread