What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undervalued/Sleepers... (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
So many threads so this is prob a :honda: but whatever...

Haven't had the time to put in over the last few weeks and prob won't in the next week before both drafts. Last year on the back of L Bell, Lacy, & J Thomas my team dominated... Looking for picks like this in 2014. My main contender is C Hyde, but I need others, please help.

In a PPR format, please give a few guys in:

Rounds 5-8, 9-12, and 13-17 that you think will be the big difference makers in 2014.

TIA.

Haven't had the time to put in over the last few weeks and prob won't in the next week before both drafts. Last year on the back of L Bell, Lacy, & J Thomas my team dominated... Looking for picks like this in 2014. My main contender is C Hyde, but I need others, please help.

Rounds 5-8, 9-12, and 13-17 that you think will be the big difference makers in 2014.

TIA.
5-8 I like Ben Tate, Julian Edelman. In the 9-12 I really like grabbing the QBs that have slipped, Cam and Brady, Kelvin Benjamin. 13-17 I like Jordan Mathews, Kenbrell Thompkins, Mark Ingram, Ladarius Green/Travis Kelce.

TIA.
5-8 I like Ben Tate, Julian Edelman. In the 9-12 I really like grabbing the QBs that have slipped, Cam and Brady, Kelvin Benjamin. 13-17 I like Jordan Mathews, Kenbrell Thompkins, Mark Ingram, Ladarius Green/Travis Kelce.
Coach why no Dobson?

TIA.
Like him too.

TIA.
Coach why no Dobson?
Dobson didn't impress me last year - made the same mistakes as Kenbrell but his catches were less impressive, today hes back in pads but has missed time and in that time Kenbrell has continued to do what hes been doing and impress the team and build a repertoire with Brady who already trusts him.

The short of it is, Dobson very well might finish the year as the outside receiver, but he won't be starting the year as that imo. Kenbrell has looked so good in joint practices and the preseason thus far. If Kenbrell can keep hold of the job, I think he has high end WR3 value, comparable to Emanuel Sanders but going 8 rounds later.

Last edited by a moderator:

TIA.
Coach why no Dobson?
Dobson didn't impress me last year - made the same mistakes as Kenbrell but his catches were less impressive, today hes back in pads but has missed time and in that time Kenbrell has continued to do what hes been doing and impress the team and build a repertoire with Brady who already trusts him.

The short of it is, Dobson very well might finish the year as the outside receiver, but he won't be starting the year as that imo. Kenbrell has looked so good in joint practices and the preseason thus far. If Kenbrell can keep hold of the job, I think he has high end WR3 value, comparable to Emanuel Sanders but going 8 rounds later.
I suspect Thompkins has a nice spot on the bench waiting for him if Dobson is healthy. Say what you want about Dobson, but he was a fantasy WR3 in the 8 game stretch he played at the beginning of last season (with 58 targets) before getting dinged and being mostly useless the rest of the way.

I would be leery of drafting Edelman if the price is too high. If (and it's a big if) the rest of the Pats offensive skill players stay healthy, Edelman should see a lot fewer targets. Gronk, Dobson, Amendola, and Vereen all missed a ton of action last year. You already mentioned Thompkins as a competent fill in or someone for special packages. And now they've added LaFell and White to the mix. Edleman was sort of the last man standing last year (and he is no lock to stay healthy himself). I have seen him going around WR20 or so, and to me, people are paying for last year's numbers.

NE's offense is extra hard to predict this year, as lots of players have shared the spotlight for doing well in the preseason and literally every guy on offense has some sort of issue (mostly injury related but Ridley has a fumbling problem).

Anarchy99 said:
Run It Up said:
ponchsox said:
Run It Up said:
fantasycurse42 said:

TIA.
Coach why no Dobson?

I suspect Thompkins has a nice spot on the bench waiting for him if Dobson is healthy. Say what you want about Dobson, but he was a fantasy WR3 in the 8 game stretch he played at the beginning of last season (with 58 targets) before getting dinged and being mostly useless the rest of the way.

I would be leery of drafting Edelman if the price is too high. If (and it's a big if) the rest of the Pats offensive skill players stay healthy, Edelman should see a lot fewer targets. Gronk, Dobson, Amendola, and Vereen all missed a ton of action last year. You already mentioned Thompkins as a competent fill in or someone for special packages. And now they've added LaFell and White to the mix. Edleman was sort of the last man standing last year (and he is no lock to stay healthy himself). I have seen him going around WR20 or so, and to me, people are paying for last year's numbers.

NE's offense is extra hard to predict this year, as lots of players have shared the spotlight for doing well in the preseason and literally every guy on offense has some sort of issue (mostly injury related but Ridley has a fumbling problem).
I agree completely with Edelman but Ive been grabbing him as my WR4 and grabbing either Amendola or Thompson later.

I agree completely with Edelman but Ive been grabbing him as my WR4 and grabbing either Amendola or Thompson later.
Everything is relative. I was in a draft recently and Vereen went as RB13. I like Vereen . . . but not THAT much. I wouldn't consider picking Edelman until WR30+, which probably means I won't be owning him this year. I happen to think there are too many mouths to feed in NE for Thompkins. I have already invested in Amendola, as I think he and Edelman could produce similar numbers, but Amendola can be picked up 5-6 rounds later.

I just don't see Edelman getting close to 150+ targets this year. To amass those numbers, Gronkowski, Dobson, Amendola, and Vereen all had to miss significant time last year. The New England receiving corps was decimated last year. I believe in Edelman's talent, but the opportunity just isn't there like it was last year. The reports on Gronk have been optimistic and Amendola appears to be completely healthy. In PPR leagues I could see him being a solid WR3...but I don't think he's being drafted as such.

I just don't see Edelman getting close to 150+ targets this year. To amass those numbers, Gronkowski, Dobson, Amendola, and Vereen all had to miss significant time last year. The New England receiving corps was decimated last year. I believe in Edelman's talent, but the opportunity just isn't there like it was last year. The reports on Gronk have been optimistic and Amendola appears to be completely healthy. In PPR leagues I could see him being a solid WR3...but I don't think he's being drafted as such.
For those unfamiliar with my position on Edelman, investigate the thread on the forums that features his name. Ive often been described as an Edelman hater. I think Amendola is a better everything than Edelman. The problem is, if you've been watching preseason or the joint practices, Amendola isn't even lining up in two WR packages, he alternates out of the slot and outside on three wide packages.

I don't think Edelman is gonna approach 120+ targets this year. But at his fifth round ADP I dont think it really matters. If you're really concerned about it, you can grab multiple NE WRs comfortably, the point is, Brady is gonna be throwing a ton and someone will be catching those balls. DRAFT NE WRS.

Brady is gonna be throwing a ton and someone will be catching those balls. DRAFT NE WRS.
This is where I am not quite on board. If I am reading the tealeaves properly, I see NE running more and passing less. The defense should be better, running the ball takes time off the clock, Brady and their receivers get exposed less, teams will be happy to have NE audible to run out of passing sets, etc. I would guess the play calling is closer to 50%/50% than in recent seasons. I think they learned the past few years that controlling the ball and taking 10 minutes off of the clock wore down their own defense, so now they will do more of that when they have the ball. 500-525 rushing attempts/550-575 passing attempts. (Basically, convert 50-75 passing attempts into rushing attempts this year.)

Last year, there were times when NE went almost all pass in the second half to catch up. I don't see them getting that far behind to have to pass most of the second half. Instead, I see them running the ball and sit on the lead.

QB

Cutler

Rivers

Roethlisberger

Palmer

After the top 5 QBs, the order of the rest of the QB1s varies a lot. Id be comfortable having any 2 of these QBs as my QBBC.

RB

Gore

Rice

Joique

MJD

Ingram

Freeman

Dunbar

Bradshaw

WR

Torrey Smith

Wallace

Colston

Bowe

Hunter

Wheaton

TE

Rudolph

Ertz

Clay

Eifert

Obviously not sleepers, besides maybe Dunbar and Bradshaw, just players I think are noticeably undervalued.

Patriots offense hasnt changed in years. only once since 2006 have the Pats not had a 100+rec WR..2010- Welker got hurt.he still nailed 86 recs, though..many people have come and gone, and the same thing keeps happening: Tommy Bady needs his Linus-sized security blanket..until last season, that blanket was named Wes Welker, now it's named J. Edelman. we can talk about Dobson, Thompkins all we want..it's funny how it keeps happening-people name others on the roster who'll step up, and, since 2006, it still hasn't happened ..at the end of the day, Edelman is the 100+ catch guy in this offense..It's the offensive system..you can buy Gronk all day, I'll take Edelman instead.

Cleveland defense, if still a sleeper, looks very good.

Run It Up said:
fantasycurse42 said:

TIA.
Not saying you're wrong on Green, but it's hard to argue he's a sleeper and/or undervalued. Dude has been hyped within an inch of his life.

Haven't put together my formal list yet, but off the top of my head:

• J. Matthews
  • Hopkins
  • Hunter
  • Reed (will be tough b/c my league has a lot of DC homers)
  • Crabtree (thinking of going RB/RB and targeting him as my WR1)
  • Cutler (if he stays healthy, he makes the leap this year)
  • R. Randle
  • Both Giants RBs
  • D. Freeman
  • J. White
  • Hawkins
  • Ball (obviously is already going high, but I think his ceiling is higher than Moreno's)
As for Patriots WRs, I'm staying away from Thompkins/Dobson (once bitten ...) I'm intrigued by Amendola, and could take a flyer on him, but with his injury risk, it's hard to argue that he's underrated. If he's healthy, he has value, if he gets injured again, he's not.

FFPC: If he stays healthy all 16 games, Jordan Reed will be the biggest difference maker in 2014.

And by difference maker I mean he finishes in that formats Top 20 in non QB-scoring.

..at the end of the day, Edelman is the 100+ catch guy in this offense.
Edelman wasn't even worth rostering unless three guys ahead of him got hurt. He was the beneficiary of a lot of injuries and nobody else stepping up to fill the gap. Right now, all those guys who are better football players than him are healthy again. If you want to bank on a bunch of injuries again, go ahead. But 5th/6th round price is a lot to pay to wager on another miracle.

Run It Up said:
fantasycurse42 said:

TIA.
Not saying you're wrong on Green, but it's hard to argue he's a sleeper and/or undervalued. Dude has been hyped within an inch of his life.
And is still going super late, and for good reason he has a first ballot hall of famer wall in front of him. I just think the Chargers offense takes a step forward this year, including Green.

Run It Up said:
And is still going super late, and for good reason he has a first ballot hall of famer wall in front of him. I just think the Chargers offense takes a step forward this year, including Green.
Please let me know where you are in a league in which Ladarius Green is going in the 13th round or later.

His ADP on MFL is up to 109 (i.e. early 9th round), as TE12 off the board. That's a round-plus ahead of Charles Clay, who's also young and talented, already has a TE1 season to his credit and, oh, by the way, isn't sharing a field with Antonio Gates.

Speaking of which, you know what Gates' ADP is right now? About 168 ... the end of the 14th round. Now that's undervalued. Green? Not so much any more.

Patriots offense hasnt changed in years. only once since 2006 have the Pats not had a 100+rec WR..2010- Welker got hurt.he still nailed 86 recs, though..many people have come and gone, and the same thing keeps happening: Tommy Bady needs his Linus-sized security blanket..until last season, that blanket was named Wes Welker, now it's named J. Edelman. we can talk about Dobson, Thompkins all we want..it's funny how it keeps happening-people name others on the roster who'll step up, and, since 2006, it still hasn't happened ..at the end of the day, Edelman is the 100+ catch guy in this offense..It's the offensive system..you can buy Gronk all day, I'll take Edelman instead.

Someone gets it. Every year we keep seeing new WRs on the Pats, and Brady still favors the receivers he can trust. Edelman is the most experienced receiver on the team, and will be on the field almost all game.

Ilov80s said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
just bear in mind edelperson got 49 targets in 7 games with gronk and 102 in 9 games without him
Yep, he was beneficiary of an injured Gronk, Amendola, and Vareen.
Fortunately, there is zero chance that any of those guys get injured again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_mrNQBLSMU
ZERO chance Gronk and Amendola get injured again? :lol:

Someone gets it. Every year we keep seeing new WRs on the Pats, and Brady still favors the receivers he can trust. Edelman is the most experienced receiver on the team, and will be on the field almost all game.

Ilov80s said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
just bear in mind edelperson got 49 targets in 7 games with gronk and 102 in 9 games without him
Yep, he was beneficiary of an injured Gronk, Amendola, and Vareen.
Fortunately, there is zero chance that any of those guys get injured again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_mrNQBLSMU
ZERO chance Gronk and Amendola get injured again? :lol:
Sorry your HTML is down.

Funny because I see them taking a step backwards, where do you see them taking a step forward to? You see them challenging Denver for the division? I'm sorry but San Diego as a football team over the years has been very difficult to sustain success on offense. You can point LT and that's fine but Rivers and the passing game has been up and down, usually doesn't plateau and stay in the top 5-10 IMO. And Antonio Gates in his prime down to present day Green, sorry but that's a downgrade IMO again.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way but I couldn't disagree more with your assessment and I hope you are not penciling them in for the same numbers in 2014. I am skeptical that Whisenhunt was the driving force since he took one of the worst run franchises ever in the NFL and went to a SB so I got a lot of respect for his resume. He's gone and I am very skeptical they repeat in 2014 what they did in 2013.

Funny because I see them taking a step backwards, where do you see them taking a step forward to? You see them challenging Denver for the division? I'm sorry but San Diego as a football team over the years has been very difficult to sustain success on offense. You can point LT and that's fine but Rivers and the passing game has been up and down, usually doesn't plateau and stay in the top 5-10 IMO. And Antonio Gates in his prime down to present day Green, sorry but that's a downgrade IMO again.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way but I couldn't disagree more with your assessment and I hope you are not penciling them in for the same numbers in 2014. I am skeptical that Whisenhunt was the driving force since he took one of the worst run franchises ever in the NFL and went to a SB so I got a lot of respect for his resume. He's gone and I am very skeptical they repeat in 2014 what they did in 2013.
Norvs gone, Keenan Allen looks better than VJax ever did. Woody and Mathews combine to be an actual RB1. Gates and Green fill out the receiving corp and Floyds back for whatever thats worth.

I don't think they push the Broncos for the division, but I think they secure a wildcard with a better than 9-7 record.

Norvs gone, Keenan Allen looks better than VJax ever did. Woody and Mathews combine to be an actual RB1. Gates and Green fill out the receiving corp and Floyds back for whatever thats worth.

I don't think they push the Broncos for the division, but I think they secure a wildcard with a better than 9-7 record.
-Im not sure why Norv factors in, I was going back to Marty Schottenheimer and prior, the San Diego Chargers, the NFL franchise, the team that typically is very streaky in almost any era you bring up, Nov Turner is not the issue. I am concerned that Whisenhunt is not there in 2014. If Ken had stayed I would accept a lot of the ADP rankings for SD skill position players but with him gone I drop most of them several spots.

-Keenan Allen better than 3 time Pro Bowler Vincent Jackson ever looked? Keenan Allen, a 6-2 all around solid WR who due to massive injuries was pushed into the starting role, responded strongly, but to say he looked better than VJax ever did, that's a strong statement and I think we are letting the 2013 results of a rookie WR, typically a rare thing, that is driving you to say that.

VIncent Jackson made the Pro Bowl in 2009, 2011, 2012, that right there is a 3 year dominant window so I think Allen will have to at least put the same numbers back up to be in that same category. 66/1200/9TD is about the avg over those 3 years, I hope Allen can do it but it sure isn't common in the NFL.

We'll see about San Diego but nothing about them is particularly special, like many or even most of the teams in the NFL, they could just as easily go 6-10/7-9 as they could 9-7 so I don't see them anywhere close to a playoff lock.

Speaking of Vincent Jackson I think he is going to do great things in Teford's offense.

And I think that's where sleepr / added value often comes from. Besides young players emerging and injured players rebounding, there are new OC's and HC's installing new systems taht utilize players better and in ways that defenses do not expect.

Miami Tannehill, Wallace, Moreno

TB - Martin, VJax, ASJ, Evans

MIN - everybody

What the hell is this?? We're talking PPR, some of you are specifically talking about San Diego's offense, but not once have I read anybody mention Danny Woodhead.

Are we just not considering him as a sleeper? Cause every Draft I've seen, ppr or not he's been picked in the 2nd half of the draft. I mean the guy had 81 catches last year, that's a major steal at that point.

Pretty much old guys and rookies for me. Cooks, Latimer, Jennings, Sproles.... A little earlier than those, Wayne and Colston

Speaking of Vincent Jackson I think he is going to do great things in Teford's offense.

And I think that's where sleepr / added value often comes from. Besides young players emerging and injured players rebounding, there are new OC's and HC's installing new systems taht utilize players better and in ways that defenses do not expect.

Miami Tannehill, Wallace, Moreno

TB - Martin, VJax, ASJ, Evans

MIN - everybody
Would you include McAdoo in this? Kinda have my eye on Giants players... none of them have hype.

Please let me know where you are in a league in which Ladarius Green is going in the 13th round or later.

His ADP on MFL is up to 109 (i.e. early 9th round), as TE12 off the board. That's a round-plus ahead of Charles Clay, who's also young and talented, already has a TE1 season to his credit and, oh, by the way, isn't sharing a field with Antonio Gates.

Speaking of which, you know what Gates' ADP is right now? About 168 ... the end of the 14th round. Now that's undervalued. Green? Not so much any more.
I took him at 12.11 last weekend.

I took him at 12.11 last weekend.

Took Green 9.7 and Clay 11.7, I hope we get some clarity on formations in SD because AZ was bad against TE last year.

Going with Clay in week 1 and hope for the best.

What the hell is this?? We're talking PPR, some of you are specifically talking about San Diego's offense, but not once have I read anybody mention Danny Woodhead.

Are we just not considering him as a sleeper? Cause every Draft I've seen, ppr or not he's been picked in the 2nd half of the draft. I mean the guy had 81 catches last year, that's a major steal at that point.
No whisenhunt anymore?

No whisenhunt anymore?
So why arn't people about McCluster? It's not like Shonn Greene is a world beater and he may not have trust in Sankey yet.

No whisenhunt anymore?
So why arn't people about McCluster? It's not like Shonn Greene is a world beater and he may not have trust in Sankey yet.
People have been talking about Mccluster... non-stop, for four years. Mediocre talent in a bad offense.

No whisenhunt anymore?
People have been talking about Mccluster... non-stop, for four years. Mediocre talent in a bad offense.
I think a lot of that talk was catalyzed by his once hybrid WR/RB status in yahoo.

No whisenhunt anymore?
I think a lot of that talk was catalyzed by his once hybrid WR/RB status in yahoo.
It was terrible here in Missouri, people acted like he was Shady Mccoy. So dynamic, so mediocre.

No whisenhunt anymore?
It was terrible here in Missouri, people acted like he was Shady Mccoy. So dynamic, so mediocre.
He was pretty dynamic at times last year. No one is saying he's Shady anymore but I could see him getting the same opportunities Woodhead had last year. San Diego was said to have a bad offense leading into last year too.

No whisenhunt anymore?
He was pretty dynamic at times last year. No one is saying he's Shady anymore but I could see him getting the same opportunities Woodhead had last year. San Diego was said to have a bad offense leading into last year too.
The difference between Mccluster and Woodhead is huge, Woodhead is a freak of an athelete, Mccluster is not.

Users who are viewing this thread