What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL GamePass Streaming (VPN) (1 Viewer)

Maelstrom

Footballguy
Was looking for a way to get a HD stream of the Vikings game each week, Sunday Ticket was too expensive and I hate to subsidize the monopoly they have. Came across a post talking about using a VPN to purchase GamePass directly from the NFL. See, outside the USA, there is no exclusive DirecTV deal. Anyways, the post basically said just use a VPN to put yourself in a different country, sign up for GamePass, and then you can watch the games via that all season. You do have to reconnect to the VPN to launch the service, but then can disconnect and use your internet connection without the speed restrictions of using a VPN.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/2auv04/nfl_fans_how_do_you_plan_on_watching_the_2014/ciyzgpr

If anyone decides to look into this, you can get 15% off with the code "Rep15" and another few bucks off if you pay with Swedish Kroner rather than USD (assuming you don't have any crazy foreign currency fees). (I get nothing, just passing this along)

Step 1: Install the Hola Better Internet[1] Chrome extension.Step 2: Go to the NFL Game Pass[2] website.

Step 3: Change your location through Hola to Romania. Sometimes it has trouble connecting so just keep refreshing and trying. The page should change to allow you to purchase Game Pass. Romania gave me the best price at $129.99 for all of the preseason/regular season (not playoffs or Super Bowl). (Prague also works, with the same price.)

Step 4: Put in your actual information and credit card. Doesn't matter if your billing address is US.

Step 5 Launch it!

Just did this an hour ago for the first time. I thought I'd have to use a VPN or something to trick the NFL's website into letting me login to Game Pass but now that my purchase went through I'm able to log right in with no tricks and watching a beautiful HD stream of the NFL Network right now with full speed.
Thoughts? Risk? Should I be worried about the NFL somehow pulling the plug on this midseason?

Dude, I saw this in a subreddit because even though I tried every way to get games legally -- No BS -- they wouldn't let me (they're not letting "out of the line of sight" people stream games for the first time ever). That said, this hasn't worked for me for some reason. Still, switching VPNs and getting GamePass is a great idea that they were touching on there.

Caveat: NFL.com is cracking down hardcore on this stuff.

Last year NFL Gamepass was free if you went thru the Netherlands until some bozo published how to do it on a major media outlet

Last edited by a moderator:
I experimented with the quad box last night with the games from Sunday. There was a slight lag and choppiness. Any tricks for getting smoother streams on broadband? I closed every other window so nothing else was running.

I experimented with the quad box last night with the games from Sunday. There was a slight lag and choppiness. Any tricks for getting smoother streams on broadband? I closed every other window so nothing else was running.
One tip is that you can turn off the VPN once the stream is running. You only need the VPN to pass the location check.

One tip is that you can turn off the VPN once the stream is running. You only need the VPN to pass the location check.
Thanks, after experimenting with some things and trying to clean up the memory a bit, it turned out to be a pretty simple fix. It ran crappy in Firefox and streams flawlessly in IE. Maybe that will save someone else a headache.

Is there any way to download the iphone app for game pass?

EDIT: Yeah, I don't think there's any easy way to use this on a mobile device.

This service is fantastic. You can watch any game dating back to 2009, most NFL network programs on demand for free, NFL network live, not to mention any game live. Being able to watch primetime games live is a huge plus.

I was able to sign up to itunes with a different account, a UK account so I could download the game pass app, this went well. But when I signed into the game pass app I got this message "Application unavailable in your current location" not sure what can be done to fix this, if anything.

Dude, I saw this in a subreddit because even though I tried every way to get games legally -- No BS -- they wouldn't let me (they're not letting "out of the line of sight" people stream games for the first time ever). That said, this hasn't worked for me for some reason. Still, switching VPNs and getting GamePass is a great idea that they were touching on there.

Caveat: NFL.com is cracking down hardcore on this stuff.
I'm curious why the NFL would want to crack down on this? People are paying them money. We can't get Game Pass due to their contract with DirecTV, so if someone can figure out a way to get around this and pay the NFL $130 for access, I just don't see the incentive for them to crack down.

Yeah, there was no "crackdown" for me. Was able to sign up instantly.

Well, other than the fact that it would not let me use any of my gmail addresses to create the account. As soon as I tried my first Yahoo mail address..... BOOM! Right in.

Yeah I wouldn't expect a "crackdown" on this. The Netherlands trick was free, meaning every last cheap jabroni on the planet was doing it. Maybe 2% of those would pony up the $130 here.

This is unrelated to the Romania trick to get a cheaper subscription (which is pretty awesome BTW, which I knew about it a few months back)..

But has anyone successfully streamed a game w/ NFL Gamepass to a Chromecast?

I've tried numerous times doing tab-casting from my browser to my Chromecast, and the picture shows up but there's no sound :(

Maybe it has something to do w/ the technology used for streaming the games?

This is unrelated to the Romania trick to get a cheaper subscription (which is pretty awesome BTW, which I knew about it a few months back)..

I've tried numerous times doing tab-casting from my browser to my Chromecast, and the picture shows up but there's no sound :(

This is how I'd view the games, so I'm very interested to see if anyone else is having issues casting the stream to Chromecast

eNdblu said:

I streamed the Preseason Live to my TV with Chromecast, and plan to use it fairly extensively for streaming to my TV this season. Because I have issues with video playing in Chrome (yah...go figure, it's one of the plugins I think), I was actually using the beta Chromecast feature that'll cast your entire screen. But gonna try to get it working in a Chrome tab before Sunday so I can just cast a tab and still use my laptop for surfing and FF during the game.

Worst case scenario I'm buying a 15'-20' HDMI cable and just plugging the laptop in.

One caveat, because the NFL player doesn't support Chromecast natively, it will go over your network twice, once down to your laptop and then back out to the Chromecast. This is unlike Youtube or other apps with native Chromecast support, where they download directly to the Chromecast. I mention this because if you are seeing really bad performance trying to stream, it may be that you are saturating your wifi connection with the HD video stream x 2.

I use it as I live in the UK. The iPhone app is great as I can use Airplay to project the game on to my 50" via Apple TV. This year they've also introduced the ability to download games. Obviously the late games are played in the middle of the night for us, but waking up on Monday morning, downloading the condensed version of a couple of games and watching them on the commute into work is fantastic.

Only snag in the UK is that games that Sky broadcast live (4 per week) are blacked out at as they have exclusive rights. Obviously you can watch them later. They rotate between teams though, so there's only a couple of Colts games per season that I can't watch live.

Doesn't work for playoffs though, which is completely insane. I have to subscribe to Sky for January to get those games.

Anyone else get game pass to work? It was working up until friday, watched TNF with it, ever since then I can't get it to connect. Just left with the spinning circle, tried Chrome and Firefox and nothing worked.

Anyone else get game pass to work? It was working up until friday, watched TNF with it, ever since then I can't get it to connect. Just left with the spinning circle, tried Chrome and Firefox and nothing worked.
Worked absolutely perfectly for me in IE all day Sunday.

Worked absolutely perfectly for me in IE all day Sunday.
Ugh, I've tried on 2 different computers. Currently chatting with support online, I feel kind of dirty doing so though, considering I'm not in Romania.

Thanks, after experimenting with some things and trying to clean up the memory a bit, it turned out to be a pretty simple fix. It ran crappy in Firefox and streams flawlessly in IE. Maybe that will save someone else a headache.
I meant to revisit this. One other tip, when the games are being played live, if you set the "quality" bar at its lowest setting, it streams fine. When you up the quality, the buffering starts. Maybe because of heavy traffic or whatever. But when you watch a game in NFL Rewind, you can put the quality on the highest setting, and then full-screen it, and the picture is absolutely stunning.

I'm going be living in Australia for awhile starting December and plan on using it. Does anyone have any feedback from using this in Oz? I didn't notice when I was there last time, but their broadband is supposed to be a bit crap.

a lot of people used this site instead of a VPN back when gamepass was free to anyone outside the US. I'm not sure if it still works now but i bet if you search for this and gamepass in reddit you could find an answer pretty fast.

https://adfreetime.com/

it just changes the DNS address so it looks like your location is outside US but you don't actually go through a VPN so you don't get horrible speeds.

I don't know why you would want to do that though. I can usually find an HD stream of most games. That greg_punzo guy on twitter usually tweets some HD streams of most games and I'm sure if you search enough you can find a decent source.

a lot of people used this site instead of a VPN back when gamepass was free to anyone outside the US. I'm not sure if it still works now but i bet if you search for this and gamepass in reddit you could find an answer pretty fast.

https://adfreetime.com/

it just changes the DNS address so it looks like your location is outside US but you don't actually go through a VPN so you don't get horrible speeds.

I don't know why you would want to do that though. I can usually find an HD stream of most games. That greg_punzo guy on twitter usually tweets some HD streams of most games and I'm sure if you search enough you can find a decent source.
when you use a vpn you just use it for the log in check, then disable it, so the speed is whatever it would normally be direct to your location

How about this: I live in Kuwait and got it no problem on my computers...but I can't get it on my Samsung android phone...the Google playstore keeps telling me 'not available in my area'...same on my Galaxy tablet. any quick workarounds anyone know about other than me having to call tech support?

Excellent quality HD streams. Hard pressed their would be better option for the money out there. Cyberghost works fine. Valhallan's Sept 9 post gives instructions what to do. Can't recall a single issue all season. There was reportedly supposed to be Chromecast app available pre-season (don't know that it's available yet)

I thought the Madden deal last year was very good. But GamePass blows it out of the water........You can do a 'Player Search' and watch every single play for the player (this week, this season, last season...dating back to 2009 I believe). It's what I do when I'm pressed for time during the week. Probably my absolute favorite tool with GamePass. Not to mention you can watch condensed 30 games dating back to 2009 season I believe, get Redzone + NFLNetwork live programming, get All 22,

I checked various countries with surfeasy and Australia at $125 US converted seems the cheapest. Prices vary greatly by country but the UK is pretty cheap too, $151 and change.

I just renewed mine, haven't seen any coupon codes. I decided not to worry about waiting, but I'm guessing we'll once again see some 10-15% off coupons, which could save a few $$. I'd expect them to start coming out around August. Also didn't see any great deals with other currencies right now, might be able to get an additional $6 or so off by checking the pricing in various currencies.

I had Sunday Ticket Broadband and it does not work smoothly. It is $200 and would stop and buffer. Some games it works fine but it should work better.

So I signed up for the free trial last night and was having a problem with the video being choppy (almost like frames were missing).

I don't think it was a buffering issue (I have 18 Mbps).

I turned off my VPN after launching Game Pass. Also turned off hardware acceleration.

It was bad on my old windows 7 laptop and noticeable when I ran it through a Chromebook.

I was going through wireless. I will dig out the power-line adapters and see if that helps.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the video?

thanks

It's choppy for me and I'm wired so I don't think your PowerLine will help. Plus older PowerLine doesn't do 18mb. It's just a bad service by Directv.

nipbac said:
So I signed up for the free trial last night and was having a problem with the video being choppy (almost like frames were missing).

I don't think it was a buffering issue (I have 18 Mbps).

I turned off my VPN after launching Game Pass. Also turned off hardware acceleration.

It was bad on my old windows 7 laptop and noticeable when I ran it through a Chromebook.

I was going through wireless. I will dig out the power-line adapters and see if that helps.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the video?

thanks
what do you use to watch it?

VLC player? BS player?

It launches in a browser window so I've been using chrome. I didn't realize I had the option of a stand alone media player.

I've got VLC installed on the laptop. Is it difficult to get it to play with VLC?

It launches in a browser window so I've been using chrome. I didn't realize I had the option of a stand alone media player.

I've got VLC installed on the laptop. Is it difficult to get it to play with VLC?
Nevermind, it's encrypted now which wrecks this

Users who are viewing this thread