What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many yards would you average if you played RB for an NFL team? (1 Viewer)

Good Posting Judge

Footballguy
Carries only, assume you'd be treated like a normal RB. Assume you're playing for a league-average offense against a league-average defense.

I think I could get somewhere around 3.5 to 3.7.

On my first attempt, I would lose 7 yards before fumbling the ball. There would be a delay of game for the stretcher.

There would be no second attempt.

Most carries I'd probably get stuffed at the line, but at least once or twice a game I'd break off a long TD, so on average probably something like 6 YPC.

depending on the quality of the offensive line, anywhere from -2 to 1.1

edit:

for average O-line, i'd probably get about 0 yd and last one carry...maybe two

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now? -2.5

At my physical peak? 1.0

And I played small college football (WR)

None of us slobs would even get close to the line of scrimmage.
I think that depends on the play called, the blocking, and the persons quickness. Some of us could theoretically take a quick handoff up the middle and fall forward to the LOS. Any stretch plays or sweeps would instantly mean a loss, though, unless the line was all world.

I would think am aver O'line would stop you from getting hit the backfield and buy you enough time to get behind a lineman or near a seam

from there you might lose a yard or get lucky and fall forward past the line assuming the O-line can get some push and/or open a small hole...

Watching me play would be like watching Barry Sanders.

ETA: Wait, not Barry. COLONEL Sanders. That's what I meant.

I think that depends on the play called, the blocking, and the persons quickness. Some of us could theoretically take a quick handoff up the middle and fall forward to the LOS. Any stretch plays or sweeps would instantly mean a loss, though, unless the line was all world.
stretch plays and sweeps would almost guarantee a loss of yards....no way most of here get the edge fast enough.

None of us are anywhere near quick enough to get back to the LOS. You are portraying what you see on Sundays to what you think you can do. For a 40-year-old slow white pig like most of us are, an offensive line would need to hold their blocks for far longer than they do now, even for an average RB like a Ben Tate. That guy is probably 10 times quicker and 1000 times more decisive than any of us are.

Defence would probably line up with a 3 man front and drop 8 into coverage knowing damn well they don't have to worry about the run. So maybe a yard.

Can't I just be the backup Q.B. instead. I can hold a clip board, watch the game, make north of a million bucks per year, and hit on cheerleaders and left over groupees of the starters.

timschochet said:
On my first attempt, I would lose 7 yards before fumbling the ball. There would be a delay of game for the stretcher.

There would be no second attempt.
And if you're at QB it would be delay of game after delay of game after delay of game. No way you can get a play called into your team in 35 seconds or less.

I could get 2 on a 3rd and 25 draw play.

ETA: Career average of ~1. +/- .25

Last edited:

i'd run an out pattern every time they called a run and come back to the huddle and say "whoopsie-daisy, ran the wrong play" until they finally benched me

edited to add the daisy

If there was a good push by the OLine that moved the defence back 3 yards then I'm sure I would get at least 1-2 yards out of it.

How far back does the RB lineup? Probably negative that. I would fall down and curl up into a ball and say that I got a concussion on the play.

99 and would insist on THE GREAT ONE on my jersey.

I would only accept carries from our own 1 and take them all to the house.

:lmao: at those suggesting positive yardage. You gotta assume some sort of semi reasonable sample size. There's no way any of us average positive yardage over time.

Probably 4 yds on the first attempt. I'd hit the hole hard like a tossed midget, but the resulting pile would probably result in major internal injuries if not death.

I play flag football with a guy who played Football / Basketball in high school and went on to play PG at Memphis before that Derrick Rose kid showed up. And he wasn't a good enough athlete to play Div 1 college running back. And he is ridiculously fast out on the flag football field. I don't think people realize just how fast these elite athletes are.

Premier said:
Jayrod said:
Premier said:
None of us are anywhere near quick enough to get back to the LOS. You are portraying what you see on Sundays to what you think you can do. For a 40-year-old slow white pig like most of us are, an offensive line would need to hold their blocks for far longer than they do now, even for an average RB like a Ben Tate. That guy is probably 10 times quicker and 1000 times more decisive than any of us are.
They are faster, but it's not always a dead sprint to the line...you need vision to to find your opening, Besides, it's only 5 yards or so. I don't necessarily think the speed to line would be that big of a factor...

Users who are viewing this thread