What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Led Zeppelin detested by music press? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
From Pandora bio:

Led Zeppelin was the definitive heavy metal band. It wasn't just their crushingly loud interpretation of the blues -- it was how they incorporated mythology, mysticism, and a variety of other genres (most notably world music and British folk) -- into their sound. Led Zeppelin had mystique. They rarely gave interviews, since the music press detested the band.
Is this right?J

I don't know about all of them but a lot of music critics thought they were more hype than substance.

It is well known that LZ ripped off most of their hits. There was a music historian on the Howard Stern show (wish I could recall his name), and he played Zeppelin songs, then played the original tunes from which they were blatantly ripped. It was hard to believe. They really didn't even try to hide it. The music was almost EXACTLY the same. I lost all respect for them since.

If someone remembers this guy's name or his website, please share.

I wouldn't say LZ ripped off most of their stuff, but they definitely did a lot of borrowing. Regardless, I like a lot of their music a lot, but I am always amused when hardcore fans defend these accusations by saying baseless things like, "Everybody does it," when, in fact, everybody does not do it, and very few rock bands have done it to the extent that Zeppelin did. Like I said, great band, but this is definitely a major stain on their legacy.

Yes, the contemporary music press hated them. Especially Rolling Stone. Mainly for the blues plagiarism issues as touched on above.

After Bonham died and a a new generation of music writers started working, the tide of opinion changed.

I detest most of the posters in this thread, can I be a part of the FFA press?

From Wikipedia:

Allegations of plagiarismThe credits for Led Zeppelin II were the subject of some debate after the album's release. The prelude to "Bring It On Home" is a cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring It On Home" and drew comparisons with Willie Dixon's "Bring It On Back". "Whole Lotta Love" contains lyrics that are derivative of Dixon's "You Need Love/Woman You Need Love", though the riff from the song was an original Jimmy Page composition. In the 1970s, Arc Music, the publishing arm of Chess Records, brought a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Bring It On Home"; the case was settled out of court. Dixon himself did not benefit until he sued Arc Music to recover his royalties and copyrights. Sixteen years later, Dixon filed suit against Led Zeppelin over "Whole Lotta Love" and an out-of-court settlement was reached. Later pressings of Led Zeppelin II credit Dixon. Similarly, the "Lemon Song", from the same album, included an adaptation of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor". The band and Chester Burnett reached an out-of-court settlement to give co-credit to the author of the original song.Dave Headlam, in an article entitled "Does the song remain the same? Questions of authenticity and identification in the music of Led Zeppelin", suggests that "...in the course of studies on the music of Led Zeppelin, it has become apparent that many songs are compilations of pre-existent material from multiple sources, both acknowledged and unacknowledged." He contends that "...songs like 'Whole Lotta Love' and 'Dazed and Confused' are on the one hand not "authored" by Led Zeppelin, but [rather are] traditional lyrics..." However, noted blues author and producer Robert Palmer states "It is the custom, in blues music, for a singer to borrow verses from contemporary sources, both oral and recorded, add his own tune and/or arrangement, and call the song his own". Folklorist Carl Lindahl, refers to these recycling of lyrics in songs as "floating lyrics". He defines it within the folk-music tradition as "lines that have circulated so long in folk communities that tradition-steeped singers call them instantly to mind and rearrange them constantly, and often unconsciously, to suit their personal and community aesthetics".In an interview he gave to Guitar World magazine in 1993, Page commented on the band's use of classic blues songs:[A]s far as my end of it goes, I always tried to bring something fresh to anything that I used. I always made sure to come up with some variation. In fact, I think in most cases, you would never know what the original source could be. Maybe not in every case -- but in most cases. So most of the comparisons rest on the lyrics. And Robert was supposed to change the lyrics, and he didn't always do that -- which is what brought on most of the grief. They couldn't get us on the guitar parts of the music, but they nailed us on the lyrics. We did, however, take some liberties, I must say [laughs]. But never mind; we did try to do the right thing.In another interview, Page responded to the suggestion that Led Zeppelin used a lot of traditional and blues lyrics and tunes and called them their own:The thing is they were traditional lyrics and they went back far before a lot of people that one related them to. The riffs we did were totally different, also, from the ones that had come before, apart from something like "You Shook Me" and "I Can't Quit You," which were attributed to Willie Dixon. The thing with "Bring It On Home," Christ, there's only a tiny bit taken from Sonny Boy Williamson's version and we threw that in as a tribute to him. People say, "Oh, 'Bring It On Home' is stolen." Well, there's only a little bit in the song that relates to anything that had gone before it, just the end.

I wouldn't say LZ ripped off most of their stuff, but they definitely did a lot of borrowing. Regardless, I like a lot of their music a lot, but I am always amused when hardcore fans defend these accusations by saying baseless things like, "Everybody does it," when, in fact, everybody does not do it, and very few rock bands have done it to the extent that Zeppelin did. Like I said, great band, but this is definitely a major stain on their legacy.
You might want to ask Pat Boone. He stole a few songs too.Gotta love the outrage towards Zep. :lmao:

You might want to ask Pat Boone. He stole a few songs too.
Oh, so because Pat Boone did it, too, that means everybody did it?

One thing is not like the other. One song no one has ever heard of. The other is the biggest/best rock song of all time.

You might want to ask Pat Boone. He stole a few songs too.
Oh, so because Pat Boone did it, too, that means everybody did it?
Yes. Satisfied?

From Wikipedia:

Allegations of plagiarismThe credits for Led Zeppelin II were the subject of some debate after the album's release. The prelude to "Bring It On Home" is a cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring It On Home" and drew comparisons with Willie Dixon's "Bring It On Back".
This is why teenagers shouldn't be allowed to edit Wikipedia. Both the Sonny Boy Williamson and Willie Dixon songs are called "Bring It On Home".

In the liner notes of one of LZ's box sets, Jimmy Page recounts a very early Zeppelin tour in which they were opening for Spirit. Page recalled that Spirit guitarist Randy California, during a backstage chat, gave verbal permission for Page to use the opening of "Taurus" in a future LZ composition. The world will never know, seeing as California died in 1970. But Page could have at least given California a songwriting credit on "Stairway to Heaven".

It is true that LZ used a lot of other acts' material, and it's also true that this is common in rock music (e.g. Google "George Harrison", "My Sweet Lord", "He's So Fine"). However -- songwriting credits are normally given in such cases. Phil Spector and four co-writers share credit on Money's "Take Me Home Tonight", for example, though Money only lifted a single line from the chorus of The Ronettes' "Be My Baby". The Rolling Stones faced a similar matter during the 1997 Bridges to Babylon sessions:

Bridges to Babylon was recorded during the spring into summer months of 1997 in Los Angeles in a matter of four months—one of their most concise periods of recording in years—and was being mastered just as projected lead single, "Anybody Seen My Baby?", was discovered to sound like another famous song. (Keith) Richards' daughter, Angela, brought it to her father's attention that The Rolling Stones' new song bore a striking resemblance to k.d. lang's 1992 hit "Constant Craving" in its chorus. Seeking to avoid any possible future legal entanglements, lang and her co-writer Ben Mink were credited with Jagger and Richards on the potentially offending song. Upon its release, it would reach #22 in the UK and become a US radio rock hit.
IMHO, LZ was a great band and deserves their place in the all-time rock music pantheon. However, their legacy would be in no way diminished had they dished out the due writing credits on their lifted material -- it's a shame they didn't go that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading a Zep bio, by the road manager, I think.

Rolling Stone didn't give a good review to ANY of their records, I think.

Definitely a band that was considered more of a fan favorite than a critics darling.

All you need to know about Rolling Stone is in their top 100 guitarist list they have Kurt Cobain #12 and David Gilmour #82. :kicksrock:

All you need to know about Rolling Stone is in their top 100 guitarist list they have Kurt Cobain #12 and David Gilmour #82. :kicksrock:
And they had Bob Dylan in the All Time Top 10 for singers. Not songwriters, singers. :thumbup: :lmao:

Wow I can't believe all the hate for Zeppelin. They are simply one of the best bands of all-time. If you don't like them, you probably are deaf or enjoy bands like N'Sync and Boyz II Men

Wow I can't believe all the hate for Zeppelin. They are simply one of the best bands of all-time. If you don't like them, you probably are deaf or enjoy bands like N'Sync and Boyz II Men
That's it, I'm deaf.

picked up a 3d cd live set from their 1975 st louis concert. 20 minute version of 'no quarter' and the 34 minute version of 'dazed and confused' was awesome. it was a 'broadcast performance only' cd. i love used cd stores... so much trash - so much treasure.

frak the haters. enjoy the tunes (of whatever band{s} you prefer). give others the freedom to do the same. just like changing the channel - you don't have to post.

ymmv.

if not, eat me...

Users who are viewing this thread