What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Team O Chess (1 Viewer)

otello

Footballguy
Team O:
Otello, captain
Tasker
kutta
psychopav
karpis
brownsfan
bogart
dancing bones

Welcome to the machine, gents. Team X is not welcome here, nor are there spies.

Post your ideas about our openings for white and responses for black.

Team X:
Sand, captain
Pizzatyme
nysfl2
joe t
wdcrob
spoofy
boomboom
unialias

Tasker, I know you are busy, but please stop in and offer your thoughts when you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
O as White

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 d6
3. d4 cxd4
4. Nxd4 Nf6
5. Nc3 a6
6. Bg5 e6
7. f4 Qb6
8. Qd2 Qxb2
9. Rb1 Qa3
10. e5 dxe5
11. fxe5 Nfd7
12. Ne4 h6
13. Bh4 g5
14. Bg3 Qxa2
15. Rd1 Qd5
16. Qd3 Nc6
17. Nxc6 Qxd3
18. Rxd3 bxc6
19. Be2 Be7
20. Bh5 Nc5
21. Nxc5 Bxc5
22. h4 Rg8
23. Rf1 Rg7
24. hxg5 hxg5
25. Kd2 a5
26. Bf3 Bd7
27. Ke2 a4
28. Rfd1 Rd8
29. Bxc6 Bxc6
30. Rxd8+ Ke7
31. Bf2 Bb5+
32. Kf3 g4+
33. Kg3 Bxf2
34. Kxf2 Rg5
35. c4 Be8
36. Ra8 Rxe5
37. Ra7+ Kf6
38. Rd8 Bc6
39. Rf8 Rf5+
40. Kg3 Kg6
41. Rg8+ Kf6
42. Rxg4 Be8

43. Rg8 Bc6

44. Rxg4

1-0

O as black

1. c4 Nf6

2. Nf3 g6

3. Nc3 Bg7

4. d4 O-O

5. e4 d6

6. Be2 e5

7. Be3 Ng4

8. Bg5 f6

9. Bh4 Nc6

10. d5 Ne7

11. h3 Nh6

12. g4 Nf7

13. Qd2 c6

14. b4 a5

15. b5 cxb5

16. Nxb5 Bd7

17. a4 Bxb5

18. cxb5 Qb6

19. O-O Rac8

20. Rac1 Rxc1

21. Rxc1 Bh6

22. Qe1 Bxc1

23. Qxc1 g5

24. Bg3 Rc8

25. Bc4 Qc5

26. Nd2 Qb4

27. Qc2 Ng6

28. f3 Nf4

29. Bxf4 gxf4

30. Kg2 b6

31. h4 h6

32. Qa2 Nd8

33. Bb3 Rc3

34. Kh3 Qd4

35. Kg2 Rc1

36. Nf1 Qd3

37. Nd2 Qe2+

0-1

Well, to kick things off, I'm a big fan of the Queen's Gambit as white and the Sicilian as black against e4 and the Queen's Indian as black against d4. I occasionally play the French or Caro Kahn. But honestly, I'm good with anything.

Well, to kick things off, I'm a big fan of the Queen's Indian as white and the Sicilian as black. I occasionally play the French or Caro Kahn. But honestly, I'm good with anything.
FWIW, I've always played 1. e4 pretty much exclusively. As black, I usually play King's Indian against 1. d4 and French against 1. e4. Occasionally I'll play open games.

Two other specific lines I've been researching recently - but am not entirely "fluent" in - are the Grunfeld for black, and Sicilian Chekhover for white. I played the Chekhover twice in the recent tournament and won both, though neither were exactly grandmaster caliber games played by either white or black :bag: . Just a note in case anyone is interested in those.

I will do my best to check in during lunch and maybe in the evenings, but don't expect much out of me. That said, I'm fine with whatever openings people want to play, and we should lean more towards the strengths of the players who will probably be actively participating (rather than, well, me).

I mainly play e4 as white and the Sicilian against e4 as black.

Kutta, what is the main theory behind the Queen's Indian as white?

I mainly play e4 as white and the Sicilian against e4 as black.

Kutta, what is the main theory behind the Queen's Indian as white?
My bad. I meant I like the Queen's Gambit as white and the Queen's Indian as black against the Queen's Gambit.

Checking in. Openings are a weakness for me, so will defer to the stronger players at this point.

I would suggest we play e4 as our opening as white as most people are probably more familiar with that.

As black, I'm good with pretty much anything, but e5 always seems a little boring to me.

Perhaps we should wait to see what they play as white before discussing black move options?

And a simple vote for white? e4, d4, or something else?

I've been working the sicilian as much as possible as black against E4. I've been trying the Dragon variation last couple of games but having trouble with counterplay as well as finding myself a little too vulnerable after the castle. I'd vote for a sicilian defense if possible. Selfishly, because I'm trying to learn.

I've been working the sicilian as much as possible as black against E4. I've been trying the Dragon variation last couple of games but having trouble with counterplay as well as finding myself a little too vulnerable after the castle. I'd vote for a sicilian defense if possible. Selfishly, because I'm trying to learn.
not with them playing c4.

Dancingbones checking in.

I don't know much theory about openings, so would be happy with e4.

In the 2 games I've played as white I like to play f3 to mix things up. Leads to so odd looking positions. Also like queens gambit as well.

I think we have a majority for e4, including those who are deferring. that is our move. final answer.

ayup, I was talking about an E4 opening defense.

got it. Any thoughts on response to c4?

got it. Any thoughts on response to c4?
Looking through that post on the English, I like g6.

Here are some thoughts on nf6 from a quick internet search:

At least in my experience in playing 1. c4, I've always found 1...Nf6 to be the most sensible reply. 1. c4 is a bit like 1. Nf3; white is not really wanting to commit, and is holding back just a little bit to see what black does. At least when I play 1. c4, I love to see my opponents play commital moves like 1...c6, 1...e6, or even 1...e5. It gives me the potential to "trick" my opponent by a transposition into a setup that he really doesn't know. The virtue of 1...Nf6 is that the king's knight almost always goes on f6, and not a lot of intent is disclosed by it. If white has his heart set on an english set-up, just develop sensibly, either based on 2...e6 or possibly 2...g6, and you should have a good game. If white instead decides to transpose into a d-pawn opening, that's just fine! You have nearly all sensible defenses to 1. d4 to choose from, except the Dutch.

I wouldn't mind c5 either, just because I'd be interested in seeing how the Hedgehog defense plays out if we end up there, but you make a good case for Nf6. And we still might end up with a hedgehog.

The virtue is in its flexibility. Keeping the d4 defenses available to us strikes me as a good result. What do others think?

I'm good with e4 as white.

I think nf6 is good as black as it leaves all our options on the table

We need to make a move. This thing is going to finish around thanksgiving at this rate.

Users who are viewing this thread