What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

'Selling' equipment to your own business... (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
This is a bit of a weird question, but hang with me. Say you have a hobby doing woodworking. You have nice woodworking tools and want to start a business. You incorporate and decide to buy equipment from yourself. Say you have $10,000 (in new pricing) in saws, lathes, drills etc. Can your business entity 'buy' those tools for whatever a used fair market value is? Would there be any advantages in doing so? Would that be an expense or asset in the books of the business? Would it look funny to buy your own tools from yourself into a company fully owned by yourself?

This is a bit of a weird question, but hang with me. Say you have a hobby doing woodworking. You have nice woodworking tools and want to start a business. You incorporate and decide to buy equipment from yourself. Say you have $10,000 (in new pricing) in saws, lathes, drills etc. Can your business entity 'buy' those tools for whatever a used fair market value is? Would there be any advantages in doing so? Would that be an expense or asset in the books of the business? Would it look funny to buy your own tools from yourself into a company fully owned by yourself?
assets. i dont think there would be anything wrong with it, but I only stayed at a holiday inn express friday

Do you have receipts?

In the least, I would work up a spreadsheet with amortization figures.

Do you have receipts?In the least, I would work up a spreadsheet with amortization figures.
Yes. I have receipts for the tools purchased new and could find comps for used values.

Do you have receipts?In the least, I would work up a spreadsheet with amortization figures.
Yes. I have receipts for the tools purchased new and could find comps for used values.
You could just use this http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/financial/depreciation-sum-of-years.php

mr roboto said:
Yes. You can. The benefit (aside from assets) is that you're creating an expense for your business. This expense reduces your earnings, and means you have less "profit" to pay taxes on. But in reality, you paid yourself for the items.

You would have to depreciate the assets over time (i.e. you don't take the whole expense hit at once, but over the useful life of the asset).

I "sold" my car to my small business when I had it and wrote off the mileage and the car/depreciation as a business expense.

mr roboto said:
Yes. You can. The benefit (aside from assets) is that you're creating an expense for your business. This expense reduces your earnings, and means you have less "profit" to pay taxes on. But in reality, you paid yourself for the items.

You would have to depreciate the assets over time (i.e. you don't take the whole expense hit at once, but over the useful life of the asset).

I "sold" my car to my small business when I had it and wrote off the mileage and the car/depreciation as a business expense.
He could probably write it off under section 179 in year one. But he should avoid the use of the word Hobby and call it a Business. Hobby's are not allowed to have losses for tax purposes. If you have a true profit motive it can be considered a business.

Users who are viewing this thread