What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Footballguys Players Championship: $250,000 Grand Prize (1 Viewer)

The 2013 Footballguys Players Championship prize structure has been officially announced. The Grand Prize will match the FFPC Main Event and clock in at an industry-record $250,000. It doesn't stop there. Cash prizes go down to 100th place, free $350 teams go down all the way to 200th place, and Footballguys lifetime and three year subscriptions take us all the way down to 400th place. We have also juiced up prizes from 2nd to 20th place. That's a lot of jack to take down on just a $350 investment. Here is the 2013 Footballguys Players Championship Official Prize Structure

2013 Footballguys Players Championship
  • Over $1.2 million in guaranteed prizes!
  • Grand prize of $250,000!
  • League prizes are $2,000. $1500 cash or 2014 Entry into FFPC Main Event valued at $1650 | 2nd - $500 cash
  • The Championship round pays cash down to 100th place.
  • 2nd place is $35,000, a 100 times return on a $350 entry fee.
  • 2014 Footballguys Championship teams are awarded from 101st to 200th place, a $350 value each.
  • Lifetime Footballguys.com subscriptions from 201st to 280th place.
  • Three year Footballguys.com subscriptions from 281st place to 400th place.
  • Daily drafts from July 27th through September 5th
  • All prizes held in our industry-exclusive attorney escrow account.
  • This contest is powered by our friends at Real Time Fantasy Sports
  • The entry fee is $350 per team and three teams for $1000
2013 Footballguys Players Championship Registration is now officially open. We do suggest that players again enter early and often for their preferred draft times and dates. As draft times fill up, we add new drafts, but there is a limit to how many drafts can go off on certain times and dates.

On behalf of David Dodds and Joe Bryant at Footballguys.com and the FFPC, we want to thank everyone for their participation in making this the largest, most exciting online fantasy contest on the planet. And let me extend congrats again to reigning champion Joseph Paigo in winning $150,000 in last year's contest.

Check out the new prize structure for the 2013 FPC Championship Round (Weeks 14-16):
  • 1st - Overall Champion $250,000 + custom Titlecraft trophy
  • 2nd $35,000
  • 3rd $15,000
  • 4th $12,000
  • 5th $10,000
  • 6th $9,000
  • 7th $8,000
  • 8th $7,000
  • 9th $6,000
  • 10th $5,000
  • 11th $4,000
  • 12th $4,000
  • 13th $4,000
  • 14th $3,500
  • 15th $3,500
  • 16th $3,500
  • 17th $3,500
  • 18th $3,500
  • 19th $3,000
  • 20th $3,000
  • 21st $3,000
  • 22nd $3,000
  • 23rd $3,000
  • 24th $3,000
  • 25th $3,000
  • 26th $2,500
  • 27th $2,500
  • 28th $2,500
  • 29th $2,500
  • 30th $2,500
  • 31st $2,000
  • 32nd $2,000
  • 33rd $2,000
  • 34th $2,000
  • 35th $2,000
  • 36th $2,000
  • 37th $2,000
  • 38th $2,000
  • 39th $2,000
  • 40th $2,000
  • 41st $1,500
  • 42nd $1,500
  • 43rd $1,500
  • 44th $1,500
  • 45th $1,500
  • 46th $1,500
  • 47th $1,500
  • 48th $1,500
  • 49th $1,500
  • 50th $1,500
  • 51st $1,500
  • 52nd $1,500
  • 53rd $1,500
  • 54th $1,500
  • 55th $1,500
  • 56th $1,000
  • 57th $1,000
  • 58th $1,000
  • 59th $1,000
  • 60th $1,000
  • 61st $1,000
  • 62nd $1,000
  • 63rd $1,000
  • 64th $1,000
  • 65th $1,000
  • 66th $1,000
  • 67th $1,000
  • 68th $1,000
  • 69th $1,000
  • 70th $1,000
  • 71st $1,000
  • 72nd $1,000
  • 73rd $1,000
  • 74th $1,000
  • 75th $1,000
  • 76th $1,000
  • 77th $1,000
  • 78th $1,000
  • 79th $1,000
  • 80th $1,000
  • 81st $500
  • 82nd $500
  • 83rd $500
  • 84th $500
  • 85th $500
  • 86th $500
  • 87th $500
  • 88th $500
  • 89th $500
  • 90th $500
  • 91st $500
  • 92nd $500
  • 93rd $500
  • 94th $500
  • 95th $500
  • 96th $500
  • 97th $500
  • 98th $500
  • 99th $500
  • 100th $500
  • 101st to 200th 2014 Footballguys Players Championship Entry ($350 Value)
  • 201st to 280th Footballguys.com LIFETIME Subscription
  • 281st to 400th Footballguys.com 3-Year Subscription

Last edited by a moderator:
I also should make sure to mention that we have a Footballguys Players Championship early bird promotion.

• Anyone that registers for a team by June 30th gets a free 1 year Footballguys.com subscription.
  • Anyone that registers for a three pack by June 30th gets a free three-year Footballguys.com subscription.

The first 2013 FPC league has been filled and draft order has been sent! :yes:FootballGuys Players Championship (Sep 4 7:00 pm)1. Rayvenz2. Pound 4 Pound3. Whatever It Takes BWAZ V4. Kip & Solomon Show5. WIDE LOAD6. Gangnam Style7. Banks 1008. JustWinMaybe II9. Motor City Kitty10. BUFFALO THUNDER11. Bentley12. StoolPigeon 2

Personally I prefer to see the money more spread out over the top 10 spots. It is nearly impossible to win one of these things you need a minor miracle to even finish in the top 10 and as amazing as it will be to win 35K or 15K for 2nd or 3rd the thought of losing over 200K by a couple of points is going to be hard to live with. $150K thought is more than enough. To come in the top 10, 20 or even top 50 out of 4,000+ people (or 5,000 or 10,000) or how many there will be this year is an amazing feat in itself.

Personally I prefer to see the money more spread out over the top 10 spots. It is nearly impossible to win one of these things you need a minor miracle to even finish in the top 10 and as amazing as it will be to win 35K or 15K for 2nd or 3rd the thought of losing over 200K by a couple of points is going to be hard to live with. $150K thought is more than enough. To come in the top 10, 20 or even top 50 out of 4,000+ people (or 5,000 or 10,000) or how many there will be this year is an amazing feat in itself.
That's not an uncommon opinion, Henry. From a "perfect world" perspective, we wish we could keep the grand prize at $100,000 and distrubute the other 150K throughout the Championship Round and still be able to get 4000+ teams in order to justify the prize structure. But this "perfect world" isn't reality. Reality is that the big carrot grand prize is what draws the masses. Although I would say that the current Footballguys Players Championship accomplishes BOTH: have the giant carrot for a grand prize and a deep prize pool. No other contest in history has ever had the type of prizes being paid out down to 200th place. So maybe if you look at it from a realistic perspective, this really is the "perfect world" prize structure.

Don't want to hijack the thread but I don't think this question needs to waste space in a new topic. Is there a time limit involved in The FPC Draft?

This is step 1, but my email doesn't work. What would be my ID?

Enter your FootballGuys Players Championship account ID into the box below and click on the green button

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt there a ton of $ not being paid out?

12 teams * 350 = $4200 per league. Take away $2k in prize money per league = $2200 extra prize $ per league

$2200 * 4k leagues = $8,800,000

The Championship rd places dont even total 500k in prize money. Not adding in the Consoloation/Toilet bowl/free teams etc etc . But as u can see, the difference of money recieved vs paid out is insane. Am i missing something here? Im going off the estimate of 4k teams which is what ive seen floated around.

Da Gildz said:
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt there a ton of $ not being paid out?

12 teams * 350 = $4200 per league. Take away $2k in prize money per league = $2200 extra prize $ per league

$2200 * 4k leagues = $8,800,000

The Championship rd places dont even total 500k in prize money. Not adding in the Consoloation/Toilet bowl/free teams etc etc . But as u can see, the difference of money recieved vs paid out is insane. Am i missing something here? Im going off the estimate of 4k teams which is what ive seen floated around.
you multiplied it by 4,000 leagues when you later said 4,000 teams - I think you need to divide by 12.

aHHH thanks , whoops!

Knew i had to be off somewhere, you're right. 4k leagues should be teams. which is ~ 333 leagues. so yea that puts the prize $ in line with the payouts.

BTW , isn't it possible to have 12 guys join a league and just stack 1 team ridiculously in hopes to have a contender for the whole thing?

I know it still comes down to the actual games but with such a big prize at stake, it makes u wonder if stuff like that occured...

BTW , isn't it possible to have 12 guys join a league and just stack 1 team ridiculously in hopes to have a contender for the whole thing?

I know it still comes down to the actual games but with such a big prize at stake, it makes u wonder if stuff like that occured...
Pretty sure they cover collusion in the official rules, last year the winning team was trotting out Dwayne Allen at TE IIRC. Very few stacked lineups.

Anyone know how close to draft time some of these leagues have been filling up? I'm surprised there's still alot of open slots for this evening. Hoping don't have to pick different date.

At 11 PM I joined one that was drafting at 10 PM the very next day (only time I had available). When I entered there were only 3 spots filled...the league was full within 12 hours and I received the draft order by noon the day of the draft. Luckily, I got #1 so there wasn't much prep needed for my first pick. :thanks:

I posted this in the other thread but probably serves better here...

I've been told the team total is around 5,800 teams. This equates to ~ 485 leagues. So with 2 of each come out for the championship rds minimum (1 and 2 seeds) u have 970 teams in the championship rds. THEN, add in the league champs who werent the 1 or 2 seed, they also get a bid. Of 485 leagues, i dunno i'd say what 240 of them (just taking 1/2 the #) are won by 3 or 4 seeds. So add that up and....

You have about 1,200 teams in the championship rds. Ok , its a lottery for sure. You need some sick, sick luck. Long story short, not sure how they got this many teams to compete in something they have such a small/tiny/miniscule chance of winning. I think they need to up those prizes also for the top places. Looks like they got over 2 million in this thing in straight buyins. Take out the 2k prize pool per league and u still have over 1 million left. Those payouts dont match up

Just did the math working off of 5800 teams * $350 = $2,030,000

When you take away the 2k/prizes per league (485 leagues) and ALL payouts at the end for Championship rds/consolation/toilet bowl, its ~ $1,500,000

So my question is , where does that extra 500k go ?

EDIT: I left out the 100 free teams that are given out as prizes each year for the following year... but still that comes to $35,000 only

Great question. I'm hoping we will get an announcement this week that the prize pool is increasing.

I posted this in the other thread but probably serves better here...

I've been told the team total is around 5,800 teams. This equates to ~ 485 leagues. So with 2 of each come out for the championship rds minimum (1 and 2 seeds) u have 970 teams in the championship rds. THEN, add in the league champs who werent the 1 or 2 seed, they also get a bid. Of 485 leagues, i dunno i'd say what 240 of them (just taking 1/2 the #) are won by 3 or 4 seeds. So add that up and....

You have about 1,200 teams in the championship rds. Ok , its a lottery for sure. You need some sick, sick luck. Long story short, not sure how they got this many teams to compete in something they have such a small/tiny/miniscule chance of winning. I think they need to up those prizes also for the top places. Looks like they got over 2 million in this thing in straight buyins. Take out the 2k prize pool per league and u still have over 1 million left. Those payouts dont match up
Is there something in the rules that says 100% of entry fees go back to prizes?

Not sure but u would think the prizes would correlate to the # of teams that enter. Keeping 25% of the prize pool seems pretty crazy.

I am in it to win my league, and get a shot at the big pot.

When I spent my money, that was what I was buying. If they are making money off it, bully for them.

I'd also say that weren't there deals offered, and people saved money buying multiple teams? Thus lowering the amount of money available?

What were their expenses?

Don't know?

They made a contest, seems like its going well.

Id be extremely surprised to the point of no longer playing in this tournament next year if the pool isn't increased after going more than 1,000 teams over expectations. Knowing the folks who run this league I suspect we will see an increase in the prizes. If not, I'm out next year as I don't see a reason to be in a tourney where they are taking out a 25 or 30 percent load. Like I said though I suspect we will see a bump although I have not spoken with anyone at the firm

Not sure but u would think the prizes would correlate to the # of teams that enter. Keeping 25% of the prize pool seems pretty crazy.
They have running costs, I really don't care that they do keep 25%.... its a buisness and they have to make some money or it doesn't make sense for them to run it. That 25% (if thats what it is) buys professionalism and brings competition.

You don't have lame owner A deciding to trade Calvin Johnson for owner B's bench players, you don't get people #####ing about a commish cheating. The small trival things of "local leagues" that are annoying and get in the way of legitimate competition are removed. You also play with the best. When people invest the kind of money they do into these things you get more competition. I know the "local league" guy thinks his league is full of sharks, and the best FF'ers in the world just happen to live in his small town.......nope.... this brings people from all over.

Then there is the $250,000 prize..... we are all here for that.

Anyways.... you pay for what you get.

I agree with the statement above in that these guys have created an enormously successful contest, based on their credibility and professional partners they've used. They took the risk to establish it and they deserve to earn every bit of profit they earn from it.

If there ever was going to be an adjustment made in the payouts, it would be appropriate to build up the consolation prizes. i realize that's not a sexy part of the contest, but when about 75% of all the participants season is over after week 11 it would be good to do something to build up that portion of it.

What is up with those empty roster teams? They're actually in leagues with legit teams? I assumed it was just teams who backed out of the draft or something, and/or never drafted but signed up. We need some clarification on this asap.

Are they empty rosters or just teams who failed to set their starting line-ups after the draft?

Are they empty rosters or just teams who failed to set their starting line-ups after the draft?
When u click on their team, nothing comes up but it shows what appears to be legit league names next to their name. So are these 0 pt teams in actual leagues? That would present a huge conflict if so. It looks like 4 of these ZERO teams are in the same league, the rest are mixed. Really confused. Not to mention another 12 teams with "Private" listed as their league name and all with 0 pt lineups

Would really appreciate some clarification on this. You cant even click on other leagues to view them either so it would be impossible for other owners to see whats going on here....

i love the ffpc, love the podcast, great customer service, but...i think you guys are insane to accept 25% administration costs on $2 mil in entry fees.

i know there are laws against tying prize pools to a set number of entries, so last season they added free future entries to the prize pool.

Just did the math working off of 5800 teams * $350 = $2,030,000

When you take away the 2k/prizes per league (485 leagues) and ALL payouts at the end for Championship rds/consolation/toilet bowl, its ~ $1,500,000

So my question is , where does that extra 500k go ?

EDIT: I left out the 100 free teams that are given out as prizes each year for the following year... but still that comes to $35,000 only
I was debating whether or not to respond to this comment so I will, briefly.

If you're going to do this kind of math, I think basic understanding of how businesses are run is in order. And to start, understanding that running a high stakes fantasy football contest IS just like any other business. There are operational costs involved, website development costs, credit card fees, league hosting fees, advertising, legal fees, accounting fees, etc. Each FPC draft has a live commissioner who gets paid for his services - it's not volunteer work. Throughout the entire summer, we respond to countless requests and questions while processing registrations. At the end of the year, 970 league prize winners (in 485 leagues) need to be contacted and their prizes processed. Not to mention another 400+ prize winners in the Championship and Consolation Rounds. All of this takes time and energy. Oh, and money. And in the end, if we do all of this correctly, risk our own money, time and reputation by staging an event that fantasy owners want to join, maybe we will have some profit left over to divide among the ownership. I bet most people would agree that this is not an unfair thing to expect.

I want to extend my gratitude to all those who trusted us this year and joined the Footballguys Players Championship as well as other FFPC events. We do appreciate your business.

i appreciate the response....no one questions the ffpc is great...but...it doesn't change that 75% payout on a $2mil prize pool. RTSports does 88% payback on $250 entries 12 team leagues : http://www.rtsports.com/compare-football

for someone like ffrookie, me, and others who will usually do 5-15 leagues, the football guys player tourney now looks and pays more like a lottery than an investment in a hobby.

i appreciate the response....no one questions the ffpc is great...but...it doesn't change that 75% payout on a $2mil prize pool. RTSports does 88% payback on $250 entries 12 team leagues : http://www.rtsports.com/compare-football
So you stated that RTSports pays 88% on $250 entry 12-team leagues and compared that to running a 5800-team contest?

This is why I need to stay away from these type of conversations. Very frustrating indeed.

You are absolutely entitled to not raise the payouts per the rules. That being said the prize pool was guaranteed based upon a # of contestants more than 1,000 below where it is now which I assume is where you would make a very strong profit (otherwise why put it there). Last year, the prizes were raised steadily as the # of entrants rose and I stupidly (in hindsight) thought the same would happen this time around. What folks should realize is that 1,000 extra entrants is roughly $350,000 extra dollars thus lowering the % takeout by the house by a very wide margin. Next year, regardless of how I do on this tournament I'm going to skip the FBG as its too much of a lottery with lottery like payouts and stick just to the main event. That being said, I can see where this type of tournament also has value and as I said before the organizers have every right in the world to not raise the prize pool.

So you stated that RTSports pays 88% on $250 entry 12-team leagues and compared that to running a 5800-team contest?

This is why I need to stay away from these type of conversations. Very frustrating indeed.
oh come on. so running a 5800 team contest with a built in audience of interested footballguys is not extremely lucrative for the fpc?? we know it is now at 75% payout. i didn't expect 88%. i won't pretend to know the cost, time and investment you've made. it's a well run contest. just sayin, i expected more.

ffrookie said:
That being said the prize pool was guaranteed based upon a # of contestants more than 1,000 below where it is now which I assume is where you would make a very strong profit (otherwise why put it there). Last year, the prizes were raised steadily as the # of entrants rose and I stupidly (in hindsight) thought the same would happen this time around.
Maybe here is where the misunderstanding lies. Where did you read that this year's prize pool was based on "# of contestants more than 1,000 below where it is now"?

Also for the sake of accuracy, last year the proze pool was not "raised steadily as the # of entrants rose". This did not happen. What happened was we added 100 bonus prizes in the form of free 2013 FPC entries to the Championship Round. That was done once in mid-August and the prize pool remainded as is from that point.

ffrookie said:
That being said the prize pool was guaranteed based upon a # of contestants more than 1,000 below where it is now which I assume is where you would make a very strong profit (otherwise why put it there). Last year, the prizes were raised steadily as the # of entrants rose and I stupidly (in hindsight) thought the same would happen this time around.
Maybe here is where the misunderstanding lies. Where did you read that this year's prize pool was based on "# of contestants more than 1,000 below where it is now"?

Also for the sake of accuracy, last year the proze pool was not "raised steadily as the # of entrants rose". This did not happen. What happened was we added 100 bonus prizes in the form of free 2013 FPC entries to the Championship Round. That was done once in mid-August and the prize pool remainded as is from that point.
but it did happen in 2010 and 2011 correct? there was a history and with that history, there were expectations.

ffrookie said:

but it did happen in 2010 and 2011 correct? there was a history and with that history, there were expectations.
Different people have different expectations. Vast majority of our participants feel we are very fair with the prize structure. But not all. And that's fine too.

I will bow out of this conversation, gentelmen. Best of luck this year.

Does anyone know what the official payout percentage wound up being? for a tournament with a 350 buyin it should have been at least 80-85 percent. Did they ever add any prizes? Thanks in advance to all the math whizzes to have already figured this out!

Does anyone know what the official payout percentage wound up being? for a tournament with a 350 buyin it should have been at least 80-85 percent. Did they ever add any prizes? Thanks in advance to all the math whizzes to have already figured this out!
Except none of your "math whizzes" work for FBG - if you are so curious send an email to Joe or David and see what they say about this year's prze pool.

They are clearly taking too much of a cut. If you don't like it, don't play in the future. It's that simple.

Agreed and if they plan on the same structure next year without a cap or raising prizes like they had in prior years I will not be participating in the leagues in 2014. Unfortunately, you can find better odds and payouts with other leagues where often times the sizes of the leagues are capped at a certain figure. Will my entries make any difference? No, but being in a professional job where my role is to protect consumers and investors, I cant shell out this type of money knowing that the payout percentage to players is so low.

Agreed and if they plan on the same structure next year without a cap or raising prizes like they had in prior years I will not be participating in the leagues in 2014. Unfortunately, you can find better odds and payouts with other leagues where often times the sizes of the leagues are capped at a certain figure. Will my entries make any difference? No, but being in a professional job where my role is to protect consumers and investors, I cant shell out this type of money knowing that the payout percentage to players is so low.
Also agree with this. This will be my 1st and last time playing the FPC. While the grand prize is awesome, the prize structure after it is really subpar. And to not increase the prizes based on the # of entrants is pretty lame. I understand there are alot of expenses behind the scenes but u based the prize structure off of a set # of entrants. You need to have some sort of escalating prize structure based on entry size. Because at the end of the day, you're paying out less then 50% in prize $ per league (1st and 2nd only). Lets be honest, that grand prize is the thing drawing everyone here and at the end of the day, its like winning the lottery. Need insane luck to even be in consideration for it, let alone win it. Just dont see the value in this thing.

Da Gildz said:
ffrookie said:
Also agree with this. This will be my 1st and last time playing the FPC. While the grand prize is awesome, the prize structure after it is really subpar. And to not increase the prizes based on the # of entrants is pretty lame. I understand there are alot of expenses behind the scenes but u based the prize structure off of a set # of entrants. You need to have some sort of escalating prize structure based on entry size. Because at the end of the day, you're paying out less then 50% in prize $ per league (1st and 2nd only). Lets be honest, that grand prize is the thing drawing everyone here and at the end of the day, its like winning the lottery. Need insane luck to even be in consideration for it, let alone win it. Just dont see the value in this thing.
:thumbup:

Da Gildz said:
ffrookie said:
Would you be OK with a de-escalating prize structure as well as escalating one? In other words, had the contest been announced this past year with 250K grand prize and only finished with 4000 teams, the prize structure would have been then reduced to the 2012 levels. I am guessing you probably would not. And even if you were to say you would, most other entrants would not be.

In either case, that's more of a rhetorical question as neither raising or lowering prizes according to amount of entries or entry fees collected is legal according to federal law (Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006). So prize structures must be guaranteed prior to launching the contest and cannot be changed. Even if the contest exceeds the amount of entries they are expecting.

Back to the 2013 Footballguys Players Championship, the prize structure was raised significantly from the 2012 levels, including the grand prize going from 150K to 250K as well as adding more cash prizes into the Championship Round. This was done with the expecations of 35-40% increase of participation BUT had we not reached these levels, we would have still been forced to pay the entire guaranteed prize structure. So the contest operators must bear all the risk, as we did, when offering such a big contest. I think it's important to understand that.

Again, we don't expect everyone to agree with this and we understand that some may feel that the prize structure is too low. Maybe you feel that the payout percentage should be higher. Maybe you feel we are making too much profit. We get it and that's fine. We cannot satisfy everyone and I certainly can't expect everyone to understand our reasoning when I post on these boards. We try and make sure everyone's experience in playing with us is a great one but you have every right not to play the FPC again if the prize structure is not to your liking. We do appreciate your support this year and hope you enjoyed the competition.

Its a business.People go into business to make a profit.I have no problem with businesses being profitable.I say good job congrats on a great contest.I always enjoy playing and plan on doing so in the future.

We are giving our opinion that putting our hard earned money into a contest where you get a payout of ~70-75% at $350 a clip is not necessarily the best deal when you can go elsewhere with large contests (they may have higher or lower prizes) and get around 80% or higher. I like a lot of the things that they have done especially with the escrow of the prize money. Unfortunately as happens to a lot of successful businesses the success (bringing in more customers) has given them pricing power where they can and have lowered the payout percentage to whatever they want until the consumers (players) say enough is enough. I'm hoping that they hear these concerns and make changes to next year's payout schedule.

We are giving our opinion that putting our hard earned money into a contest where you get a payout of ~70-75% at $350 a clip is not necessarily the best deal when you can go elsewhere with large contests (they may have higher or lower prizes) and get around 80% or higher. I like a lot of the things that they have done especially with the escrow of the prize money. Unfortunately as happens to a lot of successful businesses the success (bringing in more customers) has given them pricing power where they can and have lowered the payout percentage to whatever they want until the consumers (players) say enough is enough. I'm hoping that they hear these concerns and make changes to next year's payout schedule.
You should take some time and actually READ the answer Alex posted

I am sure Joe & David along with Alex & Dave WILL raise the prizes again next year based on the number of entries this year - they couldn't change them after posting them and ALREADY raised them over last year's numbers

Users who are viewing this thread