What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Home Run Pool strategies (1 Viewer)

Usual21

Footballguy
Hey everyone,

Last year, there was a thread talking about strategies for Home Run Pools. Our HR Pool at work is like many other in which you pick 7 players. Our stipulations are that each player must have had at least 15 HRs last year and the seven player players altogether could not have more than 153 HRs combined. So far my list looks like this:

Jay Bruce 30

Giancarlo Stanton 24

Prince Fielder 26

Bryce Harper 20

Yasiel Puig 19

Eric Hosmer 17

Matt Adams 17

Total of 153

Anyone else have any info on players that might breakout? I'm more of a football guy (No pun intended) and do this for fun at work, but I got lucky last year and finished 2nd overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your list looks pretty good.

Other guys that look like they should increase their totals:

Trout (27)

Rizzo (23)

Hamilton (21)

Gattis (21)

Rosario (21)

Pujols (17)

Butler (15)

Posey (15)

Cargo was on my maybe list. His injury last year cost me the title. I know Stanton is an injury waiting to happen as well, but if he stays healthy...40+ isn't out of the question.

As much as it pains me to say this, I'd probably replace Adams with Pujols. Adams can't hit lefties... yet.

I just started a HR pool league this year. The idea intrigued me alot. I didn't put the limits on HR numbers like you did though - I don't think I saw that as an option that other leagues do.

We did a snake draft and I ended up with(and the 12/1 turn):

Prince Fielder

Jay Bruce

Jayson Werth

Albert Pujols

Brian McCann

Allen Craig

Adam LaRoche

Given the numbers last year and the projections this year I am very happy with this roster. Pujols fell way too far given his year last year and I think too many of the guys ignored the potential for the Nationals this year so I was happy to take Werth and hope they live up to some expectations. I think McCann easily tops 20 in Yankee Stadium. But we'll see.

I just started a HR pool league this year. The idea intrigued me alot. I didn't put the limits on HR numbers like you did though - I don't think I saw that as an option that other leagues do.

We did a snake draft and I ended up with(and the 12/1 turn):

Prince Fielder

Jay Bruce

Jayson Werth

Albert Pujols

Brian McCann

Allen Craig

Adam LaRoche

Given the numbers last year and the projections this year I am very happy with this roster. Pujols fell way too far given his year last year and I think too many of the guys ignored the potential for the Nationals this year so I was happy to take Werth and hope they live up to some expectations. I think McCann easily tops 20 in Yankee Stadium. But we'll see.
I like this team. The reason our guy limits the numbers is that he said he follows a bigger pool that uses that strategy and it is based on the # of HRs hit the previous year. Last year, our number was 161.

Anybody know of a free site to run these on that allows duplicate players? Fantrax is charging for duplicate player leagues now.

Try out www.fantasyhomeruns.com

We're using it for the first time this year and it's been great. No idea if it allows duplicate players though. It's a pretty simple format so I don't think it should be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try out www.fantasyhomeruns.com

We're using it for the first time this year and it's been great. No idea if it allows duplicate players though. It's a pretty simple format so I don't think it should be a problem.
Yeah, I checked them out. Unfortunately they don't allow duplicate players.

Looking more and more like I'll have to go the old school spreadsheet route.

I am in a 3-man competition. We each had to pick seven players. Our seven players' home run total from 2013 had to be 150 or less.

I took Stanton, Pujols, Wright, Harper, Reddick, Adam Jones and Cespedes.

Users who are viewing this thread