What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Site Launched (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
We have considerable known issues and we are still plugging gaps in coverage. So please be patient as we completely convert this to the new look.

Looking Good; from the little time I've had to spend perusing the home page it seems user friendly. The first thing I checked out was the Player Pages and linked stories. It appears we won't have to go on search and destroy missions to find relevant player stories.

Looking Good; from the little time I've had to spend perusing the home page it seems user friendly. The first thing I checked out was the Player Pages and linked stories. It appears we won't have to go on search and destroy missions to find relevant player stories.
We will soon also have full site search of articles. This redesign has to be done in stages and this is just stage 1. We still have to convert a lot more pages. But we have a base where we can keep chipping away at things until everything has this new feel with the pull down menus.

Love the new look... :fishing:
This has been LONG OVERDUE. Our old site really was a throw back to our considerably lacking web design skills. We know football. Web design and colors....not so much. We brought in a friend of Joe's who is very very good at doing this stuff. Sean will be with us going forward. Expect the look to keep getting better and better going forward.

I like it as well and psyched for the iphone app
Doug and Bruce have been on a tear the last week on this. When I get a chance I will add more screen shots to what they have created. It is way better than we are showing now. We have 5 years worth of a players game recaps (stats and text) in this now. We have schedules. We have links where you can see how well the Jets shut down WRs or RBs the last three years on a game-by-game basis. Our once mini player pages have blossomed into really great player pages. Need demographics, unhide. Need career stats, unhide them. Need game logs...you see the pattern. We have made the small screen come to life. Oh and did I mention you can see all of the staff's rankings per player....LOL. This app will be a MUST-HAVE for fantasy players. I am certain of that. And we are really just getting going here.

Doug and Bruce have been on a tear the last week on this. When I get a chance I will add more screen shots to what they have created. It is way better than we are showing now. We have 5 years worth of a players game recaps (stats and text) in this now. We have schedules. We have links where you can see how well the Jets shut down WRs or RBs the last three years on a game-by-game basis. Our once mini player pages have blossomed into really great player pages. Need demographics, unhide. Need career stats, unhide them. Need game logs...you see the pattern. We have made the small screen come to life. Oh and did I mention you can see all of the staff's rankings per player....LOL. This app will be a MUST-HAVE for fantasy players. I am certain of that. And we are really just getting going here.
:fishing: This is going to be amazing!!!

David

is there a network issue at FBG's? reason I ask, I see severe latency when posting at times, pages load slowly,etc..

I'm behind a t-3 line

at other times things seem lightning fast..

Davidis there a network issue at FBG's? reason I ask, I see severe latency when posting at times, pages load slowly,etc..I'm behind a t-3 line at other times things seem lightning fast..
Keith just updated the forums to a lightning fast server. Usually when pages hang it's because of the ads we run on them (or some router on the world wide web that is down). That's the dilemma we face using an outside service for ads. And although the easy answer I suppose would be to not run ads, the forums are extremely costly to run and maintain. And the ad money pays for them and a lot of our free content (podcasts, news, etc). So it's a trade off we generally have had to deal with. I generally send Keith a note (overton@footballguys.com) if you think pages are slow loading. He can run a lot of diagnostics to see if anything is happening on the server end.

Looks pretty decent from what I can tell.

As a web developer myself, it's nice to see the site out of the stone age.

david.are you guys just limiting yourself to iPhone? or can we expect something similar for Android phones as well?

That is great, BUT, I would think you would want to leave the rankings out since it is a free app. Doesnt matter to me either way since I have a 3 year subscription which I just reupped. But if I am a new person to the site and I can get the info for free, I may not pay for it.

david.are you guys just limiting yourself to iPhone? or can we expect something similar for Android phones as well?
Hi Health,Yes, Android is definitely in the plans. No time frame yet as Bruce and Doug have poured everything into the iPhone app. But I'm a huge believer in not betting against Google. I'm convinced Android will be a power and we absolutely will be on board with that in the future.J

That is great, BUT, I would think you would want to leave the rankings out since it is a free app. Doesnt matter to me either way since I have a 3 year subscription which I just reupped. But if I am a new person to the site and I can get the info for free, I may not pay for it.
Rankings are free until July 15th now. That's how this will work too. People will be able to get free info during the free period

Hi Health,Yes, Android is definitely in the plans. No time frame yet as Bruce and Doug have poured everything into the iPhone app. But I'm a huge believer in not betting against Google. I'm convinced Android will be a power and we absolutely will be on board with that in the future.J
We have a mobile version that exists concurrently here. We just have to provide people with the link. We are waiting to have the iPhone app approved and then we will roll out both together.

:lmao: This is going to be amazing!!!
Thanks supyo. This thing has been a lot of fun to see come together. From a bigger picture angle, it's been fun to watch this flow through our company. We were sitting at my kitchen table in March when this idea came up. We literally went from zero ability to do an app to having this in that short time period. Hats off to our Bruce Henderson for diving in and learning the Apple App programming from a base of nothing to having this ready now. Doug Drinen was a huge help too as he's the database guru and the app needs all that content. It was just enjoyable to see it go from nothing to reality in a really fast time. And this is just the start.J

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great...glad you(we) are moving forward.

(Let me know if you ever need some graphic help. I've been in the graphic design field for 18 years now)

Looks good, and long overdue.
Thanks Cassius. We've almost done this each of the past several years but never bit the bullet. We couldn't wait any longer and adding my friend Sean to the mix and bringing him on staff was the game changer for us. He was excellent to work with for me as he walked that sometimes tough balance of making it look like he thought was great and also doing what I wanted as the "client". I'm pleased with it.

As David said, lots and lots of polishing still to do. But the ropes are cut loose and we're pushing off from the dock.

J

Looks great...glad you(we) are moving forward.

(Let me know if you ever need some graphic help. I've been in the graphic design field for 18 years now)
Thanks Crazy8. You hit a great point there. I know it sounds corny but this really is a thing where we are moving forward. You guys are and always have been the key part of all of this.

J

We have considerable known issues and we are still plugging gaps in coverage. So please be patient as we completely convert this to the new look.
I really like the new look. Very easy on the eyes and quick scan of the home page, I can already find most of the stuff I look for right away.Well done!

Well done. Love that I can use drop-down tabs to get to any part of the site from the front page. You've just cut my fantasy bookmarks in half.

Dumb (and maybe unrelated) question.

Are you guys adding support for a mobile app called Tapatalk for your forums? (that would be awesome if you did)

Not a big fan of change, the old motto why fix what isn't broke. Have a ton of stuff going on in my dynasty league, and yesterday was using the dynasty and rookie rankings. today they are not coming up, it says coming soon. Can we please get these rankings back ASAP?

Well done. Love that I can use drop-down tabs to get to any part of the site from the front page. You've just cut my fantasy bookmarks in half.
Thanks CA. I doubt anyone is interested but for you design guys, a little backstory. The huge problem we've always faced is how to balanceClean look vs Showing the tons of content we haveMy pet peeve is hearing people say, "it needs to be clean and simple like google". That's awesome if your entire business is a search box. That doesn't translate to us at all. As I dug into this, it quickly became evident that sites like Foodnetwork.com or Bestbuy.com were a lot more comparable to what we're trying to do. And that is essentially take a huge amount of information but organize it cleanly. The "breakthrough" moment for me was when I came upon one of the design guys blog post about the mega drop down menus. You see them in lots of places now but it was the thing that's allowed us to have lots of tabs without really having lots of tabs. I'm still not in love with how we had to choose categories for some but I'm ok. Condensing down really is the hardest part. Thanks for the good words - it's been a fun process.J

Are you guys adding support for a mobile app called Tapatalk for your forums? (that would be awesome if you did)
Yes we were waiting for Invision to support it. They now do, but it will take updating our forums. I believe Keith has that scheduled a few weeks from now.

Not a big fan of change, the old motto why fix what isn't broke. Have a ton of stuff going on in my dynasty league, and yesterday was using the dynasty and rookie rankings. today they are not coming up, it says coming soon. Can we please get these rankings back ASAP?
The rankings are pretty much live now (We plan on calling out tonight in the email update as I have not submitted yet). I will add those links back in on both the Fly-aways and the rankings pages.

Yes we were waiting for Invision to support it. They now do, but it will take updating our forums. I believe Keith has that scheduled a few weeks from now.
As always, keep up the good work guys. Thanks!(and that's great news to hear!)

I'm pretty excited about this feature. I'm glad to see message boards get some love on new technology stuff like this. With all the foursquare / twitter / buzz / facebook social media cool things, it seems like the good old tried and true boards get overlooked sometimes. For lots of things, they're a great social media outlet.

J

Well, I like the new site design. It will take a little getting used to but it looks cleaner and navigation looks pretty sweet. Well done :no:

Nice improvement over the old layout, but the middle feels a bit cramped.
I agree with this. IMHO I would say the middle window with the NFL Draft, Bloom's 100, etc. and the preview of each section should be the same size top to bottom as the "latest news" pane. Move the award ad, testimonials, audible button and all that stuff down below that or stack them under the "daily email Signup" pane. Also, a lot of navy blue here. I would drop it as the background color of the audible, testimonials and daily email signup.

Conur on both counts.I like the flyout menus from the top (Home, Article, Community, etc.). Not so much a fan of that flying out from the middle (NFL Draft, iPhone Peek, etc.) - they mess with my mind.

Nice job, it's a big improvement. :mellow:

A few minor suggestions:

1. It does look a little crowded. The buttons in the middle titled "FSTA, Audible, Our Staff, Testimonials, Other stuff from FBGS" all have different colors and graphics combinations. I think it would look less cluttered if they were all part of a single box and formatted similarly. For example, the "3 easy steps for dominating your league" looks great and is very easy to understand. Maybe you could run those middle buttons down the side under "sign up now" and format them similarly like you did in the "3 easy steps".

2. I like the pull-down menus. Is there anyway to get all of the sub-menus into a single column and condense them a little? Maybe when I scroll over "Forecast" if it would have "My FBGs" and eliminate "create a profile" and "sync with MFL". I'll rarely every use those options and when I do I can just click on "My FBGs", for instance.

I agree with this. IMHO I would say the middle window with the NFL Draft, Bloom's 100, etc. and the preview of each section should be the same size top to bottom as the "latest news" pane. Move the award ad, testimonials, audible button and all that stuff down below that or stack them under the "daily email Signup" pane. Also, a lot of navy blue here. I would drop it as the background color of the audible, testimonials and daily email signup.
Agreed. I'd go beyond saying it looks cramped and say it's kind of painful to look at. That's your prime real estate, the place that people's eyes go and give the first impression of the site. With 7 different boxes crammed in there the first impression is more of a roadside bulletin board that no one has bothered to clean out in awhile.Compare it to ESPN's NFL page. The same amount of space you're using for 7 images gets a single image on ESPN which is their headline story. Somewhere you start out focusing on and it looks good, before starting to look over the rest of the page for other content. Moving those other 6 links elsewhere and using that whole space for the scrolling image would, I imagine, make it look much better.

Users who are viewing this thread